Canadian Pairs 2013/2014 - News and updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Cant Skate, Jan 31, 2013.

1. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Loved D/R's sp.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

D&R= transformation!

I have got to hand it to them! I have not seen a transformation from one season to the next like this since 96 with Kwan or Lu Chen. In a pair team, i dont recall. I'm floored. The other thing i like is that Radford is just unbelievable at expressing the music. fabulous fabulous fabulous

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

I absolutely love Duhamel/Radford.

4. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I loved the idea that Radford "created" this music (I know, created isn't the correct word but my brain is acting like swiss cheese and I can't find the word I want, yet again. Sorry).
    I enjoyed listening to it and I can more expression coming from him -- perhaps because he has a deeper connection to this music? Count me in as another who was pleasantly surprised by the entrance to the death spiral. Looking pretty decent for this time of the year.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

6. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Another creative pair skater. Mark Militano composed music in his day. Nancy Kerrigan skated to some of it at the Olympics.

Getting an orchestra to perform and record the original work isn't inexpensive. Wonder if they were able to get some funding support.

7. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Love D&R's new SP, love the music, and feel they've come a long way as a team. Still seem a bit mismatched to me, but waaaaaay better than they used to be. Seriously impressed with their determination, commitment, perseverance. And the death spiral entrance is to die for :)

8. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:respec: I love the music too. No, they never say 'we cannot despite the height difference'. Love them for giving it all and prove that height can be irrelevant if you are determined.

9. Proustable

Proustable New Member

You know, their physical mismatch is pretty striking, but I'm floored at how together they seem throughout many points of their programs. Those paired knee slides were just gorgeous and yeah, that death spiral (not only the entrance, but Duhamel's beautiful position during the element) is stunning.

10. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Duhamel & Radford's SP is fantastic, and the music he composed is lovely. I wasn't sure if she was capable of having that much softness in her skating (and it's exacerbated by the fact that it's one of Radford's main strengths), but she's clearly been very persistent in trying to get better throughout her many years as a pair skater and it shows. They are not the most well matched team in the world, but they are certainly improving. I love the program and watched it for a second time right after seeing it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  11. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Thanks for digging up those old scores, Geoskate. They should be sent to every aspiring pair team in North America to show with some talent and alot of hard work and dedication you can go from scoring in the 40's to scoring in the 70's. But it doesn't happen overnight.

D&R and Julie Marcotte have done a fantastic job over the past couple of seasons of looking at what both do well and minimizing what they don't. Can't wait to see how this SP looks come January and am looking forward to seeing their new long program to "Alice in Wonderland".

12. Subway

Subway New Member

Well, maybe I'll dissent but I thought D/R looked mismatched in this outing. After the first two elements - twist and sbs jumps - she seemed shorter-stepped and more tentative than he. He was deep into the ice and moving freely, but something felt off and when I re-watched, it was her. She's not moving as well as he is in the footwork section and in the spins. I'm of two minds about the number of choreographic lifts used for linking moves and transitions. I'd like to see her blades on the ice more. This is initial impression only. S&S use lifts and carries as transitions and I'm usually impressed, so I don't know why I'm reacting this way. I liked D/R's short last season better so far.

13. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

Count me as another who likes this new SP and one who also Loves the music...Looking forward to its evolution over the season,
    D/R continue to impress me with their commitment to being the very best they can be as a team, showcasing how hard, hard work can pay off in the long run! Sometimes having weaknesses is a good thing cuz it makes you dig that much deeper to overcome them, be more innovative, and work that much harder to show off your strengths to best advantage. Way to start the season guys! I can only imagine how fab the fight will be for the top spot at nationals, the fight to be on the OLY team, esp if last year's incredible pairs event is anything to go by...

14. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

I mam with all the D/R lovers! My impression of this is that they are really skating with expression and strength. I love the fact that they now seem to be skating "big". They seem to be taking up a lot of ice. I hope that makes sense. Only the top teams seem to do this in my opinion.

15. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

I loved D&Rs SP, too. Eric especially seemed to be skating with so much expression. Of course he is "into" the music, it is his! It was delightful to watch them both.Dare I say they really looked like podium material already? Definitely skating with the major contenders this year.

16. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I've already said I love this short program, and have watched it several times, but

I think I agree with Subway. I noticed that too on about the third or fourth viewing. However, I don't think it's a problem with the program, just that it will require more time for it to completely gel for her than for him. After all, Eric is skating to music that he composed, so he already can hear every nuance of the music in his mind as he skates, with absolutely no effort on his part. Meagan doesn't have that advantage, and has to internalize the music and then have the movement come out of that. That takes time. IMO she's already 90% of the way there, but Eric's 100% of the way there, because it's music that he's lived with for several years.

17. geoskate

On another topic, any ideas why Julianne Seguin/Charlie Bilodeau didn't get an assignment to JGP Slovakia? His birthday is August 6, 1993, so my understanding is that they would be age-eligible for the JGP. Is that correct?

If so, it's a bit surprising, unless there's a strategic reason for putting them in the two later competitions. They had already skated very well at Skate Detroit, and then followed it up with very good skates this past weekend. (I'm also assuming that they are good enough to justify two competitions right off the bat, just like Bent/MacKeen in dance).

18. kates8

kates8 Member

Julieann is competing in singles at the second Grand Prix which i think would make it next to impossible and too exhausting to compete in the third Grand Prix which is on a different continent

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  19. geoskate

:duh:Of course. Thanks for pointing that out. Belarus will likely be their pairs assignment, then. (I think that's the next JGP event with pairs). It could get complicated if Julianne medals in Mexico, which is a possibility.

20. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

21. blueglass

blueglass New Member

They seem to be ticking off all the boxes with this SP. Next, I'd like to see them work at relaxing their neck and shoulder areas. They tend to be a bit tense.

22. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting - another great interview from TSL! I love how focused these two are on trying to improve their weaknesses and the discussion about Julie Marcotte choreographing to try to work around their height differential and lines not matching.

Finally got around to watching some of the Quebec Summer Skate videos and lots to get excited about here. I think that D/R's short is fantastic and love that the piece was originally a dedication to Paul Wirtz. I do agree that their lack of matching does show up in this program and they seemed a little off sync in places, but that is nitpicking for August.

Even though there is still a lot of work to do, I saw plenty of potential in Purich & Tran. I think she's come a long way in her basic skating since Canadians and hopefully the elements will come in time. I wasn't a huge fan of the program itself, so I'm hoping the free is a little more suited to the spark and energy she brings to the program.

Love Seguin & Bilodeau and can't wait to see their development this season. Very excited about this team.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  23. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I loved the music Eric composed for their SP - what a multi-talented person he is.

24. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Was it for their Short? or Free?

25. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

If I recall correctly, they said their Long program was from "Alice in Wonderland", and was something different for them.

26. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

Double post, deleted

27. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

I love Meagan and Eric's SP. just two minor area for improvement:
    1. Eric's hair, it makes him look taller and his head longer, both not to their advantage. The long hair was much better, the curls in the interview was so cute, handsome!

2. The death spiral entry is very nicely designed, love it! but I'm afraid Meagan hasn't done its full justice yet. The extended leg should be closer to the blended skating leg, ideally touching it, and the shooting the duck/pipe position should be tighter, chest to leg. if she can do these two it would be really to die for.

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

29. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Does anybody know what music Bobak/penasse skated to at Detroit for their long? I think I remember really liking the music

30. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

Matthew Penasse is on Ice Partner search this morning!