Canadian Pairs 2013/2014 - News and updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Cant Skate, Jan 31, 2013.

1. blueglass

blueglass New Member

They seem to be ticking off all the boxes with this SP. Next, I'd like to see them work at relaxing their neck and shoulder areas. They tend to be a bit tense.
  2. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting - another great interview from TSL! I love how focused these two are on trying to improve their weaknesses and the discussion about Julie Marcotte choreographing to try to work around their height differential and lines not matching.

Finally got around to watching some of the Quebec Summer Skate videos and lots to get excited about here. I think that D/R's short is fantastic and love that the piece was originally a dedication to Paul Wirtz. I do agree that their lack of matching does show up in this program and they seemed a little off sync in places, but that is nitpicking for August.

Even though there is still a lot of work to do, I saw plenty of potential in Purich & Tran. I think she's come a long way in her basic skating since Canadians and hopefully the elements will come in time. I wasn't a huge fan of the program itself, so I'm hoping the free is a little more suited to the spark and energy she brings to the program.

Love Seguin & Bilodeau and can't wait to see their development this season. Very excited about this team.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I loved the music Eric composed for their SP - what a multi-talented person he is.
  4. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Was it for their Short? or Free?
  5. rvi5

rvi5 New Member

If I recall correctly, they said their Long program was from "Alice in Wonderland", and was something different for them.
  6. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

Double post, deleted
  7. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

I love Meagan and Eric's SP. just two minor area for improvement:
    1. Eric's hair, it makes him look taller and his head longer, both not to their advantage. The long hair was much better, the curls in the interview was so cute, handsome!

2. The death spiral entry is very nicely designed, love it! but I'm afraid Meagan hasn't done its full justice yet. The extended leg should be closer to the blended skating leg, ideally touching it, and the shooting the duck/pipe position should be tighter, chest to leg. if she can do these two it would be really to die for.
  8. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

9. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Does anybody know what music Bobak/penasse skated to at Detroit for their long? I think I remember really liking the music
  10. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

Matthew Penasse is on Ice Partner search this morning!
  11. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

12. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

It was the music from Somewhere in Time
  13. Jenifer

Jenifer Active Member

Dare I hope that this means that Bobak/Beharry might be back together?
  14. mag

mag Well-Known Member

15. blademate

blademate New Member

I believe Beharry has quit.

And also doubt Katie has any desire to return to the Wirtzes :scream:
  16. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Both true. Katie has decided once again to leave skating. Matthew Penasse is a great guy/partner. Hoping he's able to find a fantastic partner and still compete this season. I feel very badly for him that she didn't see the season through. :(
  17. rvi5

rvi5 New Member

Is she Najarro???
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  18. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

Please say it isn't so!! :(
  19. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

According to the registrations for the Georges-Ethier competition in Quebec, the junior team of Ami Koga/Francis Boudreau-Audet are skating for Japan.
  20. geoskate

(Are we allowed to talk about JGP results outside of the kiss and cry? I hope so, but I'm not clear on the rules for this board).

I thought Dylan Conway/Dustin Sherriff-Clayton had a very respectable debut on the JGP circuit this weekend. Their free skate was better than their short program IMO, and is on Youtube. (Their short program is also on Youtube). I could see them easily hitting 85 points by the end of the season, perhaps even 90 points if the throws and jumps become clean. Personally I think they did well enough to justify a second assignment.

Bryce Davison is no longer listed as one of their coaches; does anyone have any news on whether he is still coaching?

On the other hand, IMO the short program for the new team of Mary Orr/Pehlan Simpson was stronger than their long program. It is posted here. (Their long program is also on Youtube).
  21. leapfrogonice

Just wondering if there has been either a video clip or post with comments on Purich & Tran? I wish them well.
  22. Sylvia

Purich/Tran's Quebec SP video was posted a few pages back: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-and-updates&p=3971469&viewfull=1#post3971469

Yes, AFAIK.

Thanks for taking the time to post these 2 video links.
  23. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

ITA, especially on the second point. Not much tweaking to do. I LOVE the opening and can't quite figure out how Eric picks her up so easily that second time...by the neck...? I wonder what that would look like with one or both of Meagan's legs extended in the air...?

There is something not quite aesthetically right with her free leg going into the death spiral. Yes I think they should play with her positioning to find the exact right look.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  24. leapfrogonice

The unique aspect of Meagan and Eric's "look" - i.e., different heights and body types - makes for many opportunities athletically and choreographically that I enjoy seeing succeed within a sport which tends to overly favor "traditional" and expected looks. Bring on short ice dancers w/o blond hair! Bring on more mixed ethnicity pairs. Bring on combinations of body types that are not necessarily the boiler-plate sillouette for pairs.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  25. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

New article on Julianne Seguin: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/2830/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Hmm, I think I smell a rivalry brewing here already. :D

Random questions:

- Who is coaching Hancherow/Killing?
    - Are Murtha-Anders/Michaud still skating together?
    - What jumps does Caitlin Fields have?

Yes, he had at least two students at Thornhill.
  26. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

^ Thank you for posting the link to the Seguin article. According to their ISU bio Hancherow/Killing are coached by Annie Barabe.
  27. Sylvia

28. geoskate

Thanks for the information about Bryce Davison. I was wondering, because he is no longer listed as one of the coaches for Conway/Sherriff-Clayton, at least in the Skate Canada JGP press release.

Is this correct? From my records, Purich/Tran had a short program score of 52.50, whereas Seguin/Bilodeau had a short program score of 51.70.

However, both of them also have to worry about Paige Lawrence/Rudy Swiegers. If we're comparing short program scores, Lawrence/Swiegers had a short program score of 54.64 at Skate Detroit (and have, of course, much higher international recognition than Seguin/Bilodeau, although not more than Mervin Tran).

Thanks, shutterbug, for asking about the status of Murtha-Anderson/Michaud. They were one of my favourite teams from the live stream of Canadians. AFAIK they have not entered any summer competitions.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  29. geoskate

I editted out a comment in the previous post because the ISU bios appeared to show that Hancherow/Killing had competitive experience in previous seasons, but those are with previous partners according to the subscripts.

So I'll post the comment again: Have Hancherow/Killing been to any summer competitions? I can't find any record of that. It seems strange to me to give a JGP assignment without any competitive experience whatsoever. I'm sure they're a good team, but it's unusual to not do not do any summer competitions and go straight to the JGP. Perhaps I missed their competitions, however.
  30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Also the age rules for juniors (Rule 108, second iteration) change for next season, and at 20 (by 1 July 2014) Bilodeau will have aged out of juniors for 2014-15. (Under the current age limit [21], with an August birthday, he would not have.)
  31. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

There are many examples in Canadian pairs history where a young, up-and-coming team 'techs' their way to the 3rd Olympic spot when the more favorited teams coughed.

Sale/Turner, Langlois/Archetto, Ball/Wirtz, Dube/Davison, ...

The first two spots are locked up but there will be a lot of pressure. If a young team surprises L/S, I expect it to be Purdy/Marinaro. They have more of a package to offer. They are my pick if not L/S.

Julianne has a shot but will likely be wiped out. She's going for JGPF in 2 events and then will skate senior ladies at Nats. Yikes...
  32. geoskate

We'll see how Seguiin/Bilodeau handle ther JGP assignments, since they have been assigned to back to back JGPs (Belarus and now Ostrava in the Czech Republic), and she is also skating in the ladies competition in Ostrava. If they can handle that, they can probably handle anything.
  33. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I won't be surprised if Seguin & Bilodeau decide to skate seniors come Canadians. You never know, with some luck and a couple of bad skates by other teams they could find themselves on the Olympic team.
  34. Sylvia

Article on choreographer Mark Pillay, with quotes from Moore-Towers and Moscovitch ("Micmac" is the SP music they are keeping for the 2013-14 season): http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/2841/language/en-US/Default.aspx
    Relevant excerpt:
    Sarnia Observer article (Aug. 24) about Purdy/Marinaro and working with Kurt Browning: http://www.theobserver.ca/2013/08/2...endary-skater-and-choreographer-kurt-browning
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  35. mag

mag Well-Known Member

What a fabulous article about Pillay. He is truly an amazing guy!
  36. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Great choreographer and an even nicer guy. He was working in Germany when my DD and her partner were going to be skating programs he had choreographed for them in Estonia. He took the train to watch them skate and was the first person to tell them they had set a Canadian record for points and then he took them out for a tour of the city with some local friends. He really made her trip!
  37. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Pillay does look like Sandhu. I bet Kurt would be surprized to learn Casablanca won him a world title in the 1980s :)
  38. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

39. leapfrogonice

40. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

Is there any news on this partnership? I haven't seen or heard of them competing this summer....