Canadian Pairs 2013/2014 - News and updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Cant Skate, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

He's a total cutie...and yes talented. But, way too small. He's probably done as a skater which is too bad. Hope I'm wrong, but there's such a dearth of tiny girls and he doesn't even look that big standing next to Natasha. I've stood next to him live. He's probably 5 ft 8 and pretty light.

2. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

May.
    I give Marinaro heaps of credit. He and Purdy are so close in height it's amazing they learned a 3Tw and he can handle her in lifts especially since he's not super fit or built. One off balance lift and his shoulder will probably rip to shreds. Hate to be the angel of doom here but I'm just waiting for it to happen...

3. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers New Member

Hmmmm..... maybe a good match then for Ms. Rau? She is super young and super talented, and never will crack 5'. She's really tiny.

4. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

He'd be an excellent match for her. Their styles would even match pretty well.

5. skatingluver

skatingluver New Member

From what I understand neither Rau or Arcieri are willing/able to move. I also heard she was doing a tryout with Rob Schultz. If they paired up I see them as a young version of MT/M with the same age difference and the same amount of time to set themselves up for 2018 as MT/M had for Sochi. To me it would be a wonderful pairing as long as her jumps come along. Their colouring and lines are very similar and from all I've heard, both are really nice kids.

6. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

My feedback to Arcieri would be "kid, you have potential but limited options as a pairs skater. Now would be the time to decide if you want to be something in skating or simply attend a few more national champs with whomever, finish 9th and then go to University or sell cars. Your call. But if you want it you need to go all in. Pick your sh*t up and go where the action is if there's a great opportunity. It's your move. Rau will have her pick given her size."

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Has anyone got news about how Purich and Tran are coming along?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. blademate

blademate Member

What happened to Rob Schultz and Christina Yan? It sounded like they were coming along quite nicely... Is Yan still interested in pairs?

As for Rau/Rob Schultz, seems like just another "convenient" Wirtz pairing, but time will tell I suppose.

9. laceup

laceup New Member

From what I've heard about Schultz/Yan she picked up some pair elements quickly but some key elements weren't coming together at all. Size wise she'd make a good pair girl but from what I've seen of Yan she doesn't have the performance level a pair girl needs. Not too surprised if he has made this rumoured switch.

As far as Rau/Schultz. If it's true I think it's a match with great long term potential. Not sure why blademate feels it would be a "convenient" pairing since Schultz had left the Wirtz camp. I suppose you could also say the Purich/Tran pairing was one of "convenience" since they both trained in the same place. Upthread Rock2 mentions that Arcieri should be willing to move to where the partner is if he wants to continue. I agree with this statement. Often good matches never get together because neither is willing to move. I don't personally think Purich/Tran or the rumoured Rau/Schultz are teams of convenience. I think they are teams well thought out for long term success. Both girls are great pair girls and will remain tiny. Both boys are excellent pair boys who need a smaller girl due to their stature. I think both teams could be very successful. I wish them both all the best :)

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  10. geoskate

Rau/Schultz had better be thinking of long-term success, because it can be pretty much guaranteed, that they won't be getting any assignments in the near term. Since Skate Canada only rarely sends skaters to Senior B events, there really will be nothing for them until they become very good.

I don't like the pairing for one specific reason - their respective ages. She is only 14 years old, and could be on the JGP circuit for at least two more seasons if she had a younger partner. Rob Schultz, on the other hand, is 23 years old, I think. Yes, he's a good partner, but I think she's giving up too many other possible opportunities in agreeing to this partnership. Plus, Canada needs good teams on the JGP circuit for next season. This pairing unfortunately can't be one of them.

The Wirtzes routinely have put together very young pair girls with men who are too old for the JGP. I don't think that's good for pair skating in Canada, or for the pair girl herself.

11. geoskate

Does that mean that Christina is potentially short enough to be a good match with Arcieri in terms of size? If so, he should consider a pairing with her. They would be an excellent match in terms of style, and she does have the jumps (and also, apparently, the double twist, based on the videa that posted of her skating with Rob Schultz).

12. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

I have never understood why Camp Wirtz keeps putting together old guys with young girls. When Sean Wirtz use to skate with Jennifer Dubois it use to make me go:yikes: cause they looked so out of place together. And for Rau to give up on her JGP career is a real shame.

13. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Matt Penasse has posted some on ice photos of he and Katie Bobak on his instagram:

http://instagram.com/p/Yggz4DQn2G/#
    http://instagram.com/p/YghdDMQn3N/#
    http://instagram.com/p/Yghy4qQn3t/#
    http://instagram.com/p/Ygh8ZoQn34/#

Has it been confirmed that they’ll be training in Barrie?

Count me in among those who are not a fan of the little girl/adult man pairings. I simply don’t find them enjoyable to watch. Not sure how seriously Rau and Schultz can be taken at this point anyway, given the very large age difference. He’ll be 24 in July and may decide he needs to get on with his life before she’s ready for the senior ranks. And I wouldn’t count on her remaining tiny just yet – many of these girls don’t start maturing until they’re 15 or 16. Yes, there is a big age difference between MT/M too, but Kirsten was already fully grown and age-eligible for senior competition when they started skating together.

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Posted yesterday in the "New Canadian Partnerships for the 2013-2014 season" thread in the Trash Can:
    Thanks for the photo links, shutterbug!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  15. geoskate

I agree. She was also pretty much his match in terms of speed and power even at that age, or at least close enough that she didn't hold him back.

In addition, Kirsten was 17 years old, rather than 14, so she wasn't giving up nearly as many years of potential JGP participation. She was joining up with a partner who had finished 4th at the previous season's Canadians. It was an opportunity that was too good to pass up.

The Rau/Schultz pairing, I think, is more like the situation with Rachel Kirkland and Eric Radford. Rachel was certainly a beautiful skater, just like Shelena is, but she simply didn't have the speed and power that Eric had. He had to hold back in order to match her. Just how much he had to hold back become evident when he finally paired up with Meagan. At that point he became a different skater.

I think that Kirkland/Radford pairing hurt both skaters, although it may have been the only option available at that point for both of them. Eric had to hold back from being everything he could be in that partnership, and Rachel was expected to skate as well as skaters many years older, something she simply couldn't do, although she did very well considering her age. The Rau/Schultz pairing, IMO, will have the same difficulties. Perhaps for them it is the only option available, but if it's not, I think they should explore other possibilities.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  16. geoskate

Sebestian Arcieri is newly listed on Ice Partner Search. It's good that he's at least trying to continue in pairs, since he is very talented (albeit short).

He says that he is undecided on whether he will relocate.

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Two related articles about Duhamel/Radford:

Sudbury Northern Life: http://www.northernlife.ca/news/sports/2013/05/21-meagan-duhamel-sudbury.aspx (includes video)
    Sudbury Star: http://www.thesudburystar.com/2013/05/21/duhamel-makes-triumphant-return

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  18. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

From one of the articles:

Canadian Olympic federation doesn't help parents make the trip? Or private companies?

19. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Families are pretty much on their own when it comes to travel expenses. I heard that Kurt Browning acted as some sort of ambassador with families during the Vancouver Olympics, but it was under the radar.

20. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

"In figure skating, Charlie Bilodeau a new beginning... His new partner is Julianne Séguin Longueuil, Quebec senior champion. Due to the registration deadlines, the new couple will not participate in competitions this winter. They take the opportunity to prepare for the next season due to start in July. .."

The article is dated Nov 2012 so they will likely show up in summer competitions this year.

ETA; he will be 20 Aug 6 this year.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  22. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Is this the same Julianne Seguin who was competing in ladies' singles?

23. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Yes. She used to compete pairs with Andrew Evans (9th in seniors in 2012)

24. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

That's terrific news (and explains why Desjardins and Bilodeau weren't at Canadians). I liked Seguin more as a pairs skater than a singles skater, so it's great that she found a partner, especially one eligible for the JGP. It will be interesting to see what she decides to do for international competitions - with Canada having so many JGP slots for ladies, I'm sure she could get two assignments if she wants to do the JGP again in singles and I can't think of too many Canadian pairs who are junior age eligible, so Julianne could be very busy in the fall.

I'm kind of surprised that this stayed under the radar for so long...it seems like something that would have come up during the Nationals broadcast.

25. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

I can think of at least 7:

Mary Orr and Phelan Simpson (rumoured new)
    Tara H and Wesley Killing (new)
    Taylor LeClaire and Chris Mostert (N3)
    Kendra Digness and Eric Thiessen (N4)
    Judith ? and Trent M (N2)
    Dylan Conway and Dustin Sheriff-Clayton
    Julianne Seguin and Charlie Bilodeau (new)
    Racheal Dobson and Alexander Sheldrick (ineligible, he is aged out)

No rumored partnership for Sebastien yet that I know of :( And there was one other guy, Felix, from Quebec who's full name is escaping me, who was on ice partner search and no longer is. He was age eligible so there could be a new partnership there.

26. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the listing of junior age-eligible pairs. I don't think it changes the basic point that based on what I've seen of their separate pairs skills, I'd put Seguin/Bilodeau towards the top of that list to get JGP assignments. And since Canada is entitled to 3 spots at all 5 JGP events (for 15 slots total), even with 7 junior age-eligible pairs, there are more spots than pairs available.

27. toepicjoe

toepicjoe New Member

Maybe no one said anything so that it would make a bigger impact.They are probably going to be very good seeing that they both are good skaters and have 2 more years of junior eligibilaty .

28. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I personally think Julianne will do both. She's a solid singles skater and if she improves and is consistent, I think she's right in there with a chance for the second Olympic berth. Seguin, Lacoste, Daleman, and Chartrand are all battling for that second spot right now.

29. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Julia Mercer & Maxime Deschamps are registered to skate the junior pair short at the Championnats québécois d'été 2013 as of the skater list dated June 7, 2013.

30. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

Is Maxime JGP eligible?