Canadian Pairs 2013/2014 - News and updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Cant Skate, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

And Shawn Sawyer: http://www.hamiltonskating.org/files/fundraising/75-Gala.pdf

Link to the news thread that was started in GSD on March 16: Mervin Tran and Natasha Purich to skate together

Upcoming performances by pairs on the national team (source link):

March 23 Balmertown FSC Carnival – Cochenour Arena, ON
    Meagan Duhamel/Eric Radford

March 23-24 Polaris FSC Ice Show – Labrador City Arena, NL
    Paige Lawrence/Rudi Swiegers

March 30-31 Point Edward SC Carnival – Point Edward Arena, ON
    Margaret Purdy/Michael Marinaro

April 5 Niagara-on-the-Lake Skating Club Carnival – Meridian Credit Union Arena, Virgil
    Kirtsen Moore-Towers/Dylan Moscovitch

April 6 Hamilton Skating Club Exhibition – Mountain Arena, Hamilton, ON
    Kirtsen Moore-Towers/Dylan Moscovitch

April 6 CPA LeGardeur Carnival – Aréna LeGardeur, QC
    Meagan Duhamel/Eric Radford

Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  2. skate65

skate65 New Member

Hamilton's 75th Gala includes Javier, KMT/DM, and Shawn Sawyer as guests. Big event with dinner, show and dance! A lot of alumni skaters have been invited.

Believe the pair in the background is Shultz and Christina Yan.

3. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Thanks for the identification of the new pairing.

They shouldn't have any problem with side-by-side jumps, given her strength as a singles skater. He will have some work to do to match her elegance, but he should get there eventually. It's exciting to hear that Bryce is coaching this pair team. Does he have any other pair teams, besides Dylan Conway/Dustin Sherriff-Clayton who were 5th at Canadians in junior?

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

5. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

That's great news that Schultz has found a partner, and I liked what I saw of Yan the year she made it to Canadians, so I think the pairing has potential. Plus it's just nice to see some new pair teams - I hope we don't see a field as small as this year again.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

"Radford, Duhamel dazzle Red Lake": http://www.chroniclejournal.com/content/news/local/2013/03/24/radford-duhamel-dazzle-red-lake
    :cool:

7. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

That's exciting that Meagan & Eric are going to skate to a piece that he composed himself.

8. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

I can't wait to hear his original composition! Such a talented individual. I am really looking forward to the Canadian pairs next season!

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Eric Radford has confirmed via Twitter that his composition will be used for D/R's short program.

This article, published one week ago and titled "A pair of aces," includes nice quotes from both Meagan and Eric: http://www.northernlife.ca/news/sports/2013/03/18-duhamel-radford-bronze-sudbury.aspx

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

"Eric Radford: From the Ice Rink to the Studio": http://louisbabin.com/eric-radford-from-the-ice-rink-to-the-studio/
    Good to hear that TSN "prepares a documentary to be broadcasted by Fall 2013 in order to expose the creation work of Eric off the ice rink."

11. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

It seems Lawrence/Swiegers are using Lance Vipond for choreography this year: https://twitter.com/paigehlawrence/status/322111483922243584

I was hoping they’d make a coaching change, but maybe a new choreographer will help them be more competitive this season.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

13. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

I was shocked when I heard this a few days ago :( Weren't they opposite skaters? That will make finding a new partner more difficult...

14. fan

fan Well-Known Member

wow. they won national titles 3 years in a row, and did well at jr worlds. very shocking.

15. geoskate

At the moment on IPS she's saying that she won't relocate. Hopefully she sticks to that. Lee Barkell is a great pairs coach, and she should stay with him if possible.

It's interesting that her contact email on IPS is Lee's email, rather than hers. Is this normal? It's probably a good idea though to have her coach screen potential partners, since he'd have a pretty good idea who would and would not match.

16. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Maybe Alastair is quitting?

17. Tantallongirl

Tantallongirl New Member

Yes Alister has retired from skating. Such a shame since the team has had great success and a bright skating future. I hope Hayleigh has luck finding a new partner.

18. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

Awe...so sad for Hayleigh :( Best wishes to her in her search for a new partner.

19. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

It's the junior curse in Canada. The last three Junior Canadian Champion pairs teams have split after winning. In fact, in the last eight years, only Purdy/Marinaro are still together of all the winning teams.

20. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

That's a sobering statistic. Not surprising that we'd see an eventual drought in senior pairs. How many of the junior winners actually competed together at the senior level?

21. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Of the last eight years, four went on to compete at senior and of those four, none competed more than two years at senior. Purdy/Marinaro may, of course, break that statistic this year.

22. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Bell and Sylvester were a clockwise jumping team, IIRC. So it may be hard for her to find a new partner. (Unless Paige retires after this Olympic cycle, and Rudi chooses to continue, possibly.) Are there any other clockwise jumping men who would be possibilities?

23. geoskate

24. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

So am I correct that there are only two junior teams left that competed at Canadians? Sheriff-Clayton/Conway and the Young's? Who is moving up from Novice and what new teams have formed?

25. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Unconfirmed, but here's what I've heard:

Mary Orr is now skating with Phelan Simpson. I would assume they will stay junior as both are junior age.
    Wes Killing is skating with Tara Hancherow. No idea what level they'll skate but would guess junior.
    Dobson/Sheldrick have to move up as the Novice champions.

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Thanks. Any reliable hearsay news re. Shalena Rau and/or Sebastian Arcieri who are both JGP age-eligible? What about Anthony Furiano, now 22?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  27. sk8rmomma

sk8rmomma New Member

The 3rd and 4th place Novice teams from Alberta are moving up to Junior as well.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  28. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

I have seen photos of a tryout between Furiano and Zoey Brown, who previously skated with Ian Beharry, and for a short period, though I don't believe they ever competed together, Maxime Deschamps. Maxime was also on IPS I believe but no longer is so perhaps he's found a new partner.

I hope Arcieri finds someone. I felt he was pretty good and still has jr. eligibility.

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Sudbury Star article with quotes from Meagan Duhamel about 2013 Worlds heading into the Olympic season, performing on the Stars on Ice tour and more: http://www.thesudburystar.com/2013/04/22/dream-year-not-done-for-duhamel
    ETA Hamilton Spectator article with more quotes from Duhamel: http://www.thespec.com/sports/article/922770--stars-on-ice-set-to-shine-in-hamilton

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

That's very exciting news for D/R and especially that Denis Ten is organizing a show in his country.