Canadian Pairs 2013/2014 - News and updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Cant Skate, Jan 31, 2013.

1. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Totally called that! I hope it works out - I love both of them!
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I hope it works out. They seem well matched.
  3. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

I wanted Purich to partner with Marinaro. I doubt he and Purdy will stay together after the close of this cycle. I see them both as being pretty spunky with more similar body types. I really wanted Daleman and Tran to partner if KO didn't qualify 2 for Sochi. Need someone for Marinaro now. That may be Jones if Beharry and Moore-Towers team up for the next cycle...
  4. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

Any confirmation of the Bobak-Penasse pairing?
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Marinaro is quoted in news articles as looking forward to competing against the American teams for years to come, with an eye toward the Olympics. Doesn't sound like they see a split in their future.

http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/2478/language/en-US/Default.aspx
    Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  6. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I can officially confirm that they are skating together again. Katie had an injury earlier this season that limited what they could do for a while but they have been practicing and working hard for the last few weeks (at least) and last I heard, things were going very well for them. I believe they're debuting a new program at a show in their club sometime next month. I really liked this pairing when I first saw them so I'm excited to see them together again. I hope they come to Indy again this summer! :cheer:
    Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  7. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

Yay! Thanks for the confirmation HeatherC! I really enjoy Katie's skating so I am glad to hear that she is back competing again.
  8. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

Is there anything to th speculation about mt splitting? Just because she is dating a pairs skater does not mean she will skate with him. Dylan is a fabulous partner and they have been improving
  9. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

I am thrilled to see that Bobak and Penasse are skating again:)
    HeatherC and (deleted member) like this.
  10. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Not sure this definitively puts the rumours of a split to rest ;), but Paige just tweeted this picture of she and Rudi hanging out with some members/former members of Team Saskatchewan.

Inevitable. I guess we’ll see now how talented Natasha really is. Hopefully they also have a new partner in mind for Sebastien because he’s too young and has too much potential to just be discarded.

I’m looking forward to seeing them too. :) The team at Preston has done some very creative programs for their pairs over the years, but until now none of the teams have been talented enough or appropriately sized to really do them justice.
  11. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

"Hopefully they also have a new partner in mind for Sebastien because he’s too young and has too much potential to just be discarded."

^This. I kind of feel bad for him actually. Who do you think would be a good fit for him? Is Shalena Rau still looking? What about the Novice girls Rachael Dobson or Kendra Digness who both are with older partners? I also heard a rumour that Mary Orr and Anthony Furiano split...

Thoughts?
  12. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I like the suggestion of Shalena Rau for Arcieri, with the one concern being that she is still young and could grow, but she doesn't have long legs or big feet, so she could still stay small. I guess the other question is whether she is willing to relocate because I think the coaching team in St. Leonard is better than KW. Either way, I hope Rau and Arcieri both find partners as both skaters have a lot of talent and potential.

Hope Purich and Tran works out too. I can see lots of ways that they would do well together - just hope that Natasha can bring up her basic skating to match Mervin's, as she could still use a bit more power and speed.
  13. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Dylan is 28 and Kristen is 21. She'd be 26 in 2018 and Dylan would be 33. She might feel she'd have a better chance for an Olympic medal in 2018 than in 2014, and a younger partner might be the better choice for the long term.
  14. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

I could understand if Dylan wanted to retire after 2014. He's been in the biz for a long time and must be ready to take on other things. He teaches martial arts, doesn't he?
  15. Rock2

Rock2 New Member

He's also in some sort of pyramid selling sort of thing...supplements or something. Nothing illegal. Kind of like Amway-ish sort of stuff.

It's purely speculation that he and MT would split. They are in medal range now at worlds so as long as the body holds up they might want to continue until they stop progressing.

I feel so bad for Arcieri. He's a total cutie and is still developing. I walked by him about 30 mins after his nationals LP and he was just beaming. What surprised me though was how small he is. Can't be more than 5ft 9 but he's built very slight. There really wouldn't be many partners out there for him. I hope he finds someone.
  16. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Article with quotes by Duhamel, Radford and Moscovitch as they head into Worlds: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130307&content_id=42386404&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt from end (ETA that the article has since been edited to attribute the last quote to Meagan Duhamel):
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  17. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Megan said it:

18. Sylvia

Glad to see it was edited to add her name. :)
  19. shutterbug

Pj Kwong retweeted this video for the Hamilton Skating Club’s 75th anniversary show a few minutes ago. There’s a pair team practicing in the background footage while Bryce Davison and the host are talking. If you go to 5:07 you get a better look at team. Is the male half Rob Schultz? Does anyone recognize the girl?

Also, Phelan Simpson is no longer on icepartnerseach.
  20. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

That has to be Rob Schultz. No other male pair skater has such red hair. Sorry, I don't recognize the girl.

Right at the end of the video there's an out-of-focus shot of a poster for the event. It looks like Javier Fernandez and Moore-Towers/Moscovitch might be on the poster as guests for the event.
  21. Sylvia

And Shawn Sawyer: http://www.hamiltonskating.org/files/fundraising/75-Gala.pdf

Link to the news thread that was started in GSD on March 16: Mervin Tran and Natasha Purich to skate together

Upcoming performances by pairs on the national team (source link):

March 23 Balmertown FSC Carnival – Cochenour Arena, ON
    Meagan Duhamel/Eric Radford

March 23-24 Polaris FSC Ice Show – Labrador City Arena, NL
    Paige Lawrence/Rudi Swiegers

March 30-31 Point Edward SC Carnival – Point Edward Arena, ON
    Margaret Purdy/Michael Marinaro

April 5 Niagara-on-the-Lake Skating Club Carnival – Meridian Credit Union Arena, Virgil
    Kirtsen Moore-Towers/Dylan Moscovitch

April 6 Hamilton Skating Club Exhibition – Mountain Arena, Hamilton, ON
    Kirtsen Moore-Towers/Dylan Moscovitch

April 6 CPA LeGardeur Carnival – Aréna LeGardeur, QC
    Meagan Duhamel/Eric Radford
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  22. skate65

skate65 New Member

Hamilton's 75th Gala includes Javier, KMT/DM, and Shawn Sawyer as guests. Big event with dinner, show and dance! A lot of alumni skaters have been invited.

Believe the pair in the background is Shultz and Christina Yan.
  23. geoskate

Thanks for the identification of the new pairing.

They shouldn't have any problem with side-by-side jumps, given her strength as a singles skater. He will have some work to do to match her elegance, but he should get there eventually. It's exciting to hear that Bryce is coaching this pair team. Does he have any other pair teams, besides Dylan Conway/Dustin Sherriff-Clayton who were 5th at Canadians in junior?
  24. Sylvia

25. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

That's great news that Schultz has found a partner, and I liked what I saw of Yan the year she made it to Canadians, so I think the pairing has potential. Plus it's just nice to see some new pair teams - I hope we don't see a field as small as this year again.
  26. Sylvia

"Radford, Duhamel dazzle Red Lake": http://www.chroniclejournal.com/content/news/local/2013/03/24/radford-duhamel-dazzle-red-lake
    :cool:
  27. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

That's exciting that Meagan & Eric are going to skate to a piece that he composed himself.
  28. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

I can't wait to hear his original composition! Such a talented individual. I am really looking forward to the Canadian pairs next season!
  29. Sylvia

Eric Radford has confirmed via Twitter that his composition will be used for D/R's short program.

This article, published one week ago and titled "A pair of aces," includes nice quotes from both Meagan and Eric: http://www.northernlife.ca/news/sports/2013/03/18-duhamel-radford-bronze-sudbury.aspx
  30. Sylvia

"Eric Radford: From the Ice Rink to the Studio": http://louisbabin.com/eric-radford-from-the-ice-rink-to-the-studio/
    Good to hear that TSN "prepares a documentary to be broadcasted by Fall 2013 in order to expose the creation work of Eric off the ice rink."
  31. shutterbug

It seems Lawrence/Swiegers are using Lance Vipond for choreography this year: https://twitter.com/paigehlawrence/status/322111483922243584

I was hoping they’d make a coaching change, but maybe a new choreographer will help them be more competitive this season.
  32. Sylvia

33. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

I was shocked when I heard this a few days ago :( Weren't they opposite skaters? That will make finding a new partner more difficult...
  34. fan

fan Active Member

wow. they won national titles 3 years in a row, and did well at jr worlds. very shocking.
  35. geoskate

At the moment on IPS she's saying that she won't relocate. Hopefully she sticks to that. Lee Barkell is a great pairs coach, and she should stay with him if possible.

It's interesting that her contact email on IPS is Lee's email, rather than hers. Is this normal? It's probably a good idea though to have her coach screen potential partners, since he'd have a pretty good idea who would and would not match.
  36. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Maybe Alastair is quitting?
  37. Tantallongirl

Tantallongirl New Member

Yes Alister has retired from skating. Such a shame since the team has had great success and a bright skating future. I hope Hayleigh has luck finding a new partner.
  38. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

Awe...so sad for Hayleigh :( Best wishes to her in her search for a new partner.
  39. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

It's the junior curse in Canada. The last three Junior Canadian Champion pairs teams have split after winning. In fact, in the last eight years, only Purdy/Marinaro are still together of all the winning teams.
  40. shutterbug

That's a sobering statistic. Not surprising that we'd see an eventual drought in senior pairs. How many of the junior winners actually competed together at the senior level?