Canadian Pairs 2013/2014 - News and updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Cant Skate, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced Purich and Tran will work out...but happy to be proven wrong. Yes they are very early in their careers but the 4 jumping elements aren't too solid and they are still tinkering with throws to see what works. In an Olympic year there is usually at least one pair team that 'techs' their way to a clean skate and surprises for one of the spots. Purdy and Marinaro CAN do that as on a good day they can hit all their jumping elements. They don't get GOE on lifts and twists but they can do enough to get difficult base scores...so they have a chance. Consistency and experience can win out.

I just have a feeling the finish order will be MT/M, D/R, L/S, P/M, P/T...but wow what a race for 3rd.

2. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

I think we've all been saying Purdy and Marinaro are too close in size for about 5 years now, but they've managed to be pretty successful nonetheless. Looking forward to seeing them this week.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Came across this local article published Sept. 28 titled "Matthew Young still feeling the effects of concussion suffered in April": http://www.thewesternstar.com/Sport...the-effects-of-concussion-suffered-in-April/1
    Excerpt:

4. sequins

sequins Active Member

Just saw D/R SP, Eric should be proud that is just a beautiful piece of music. I love it.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

It's incredibly cheesy. :p

6. sequins

sequins Active Member

Whatever. To each his own.:p

7. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I love it too. Eric, IMO, is a very elegant male pairs skater which is not common among male pairs skaters. :) And the music is absolutely gorgeous. What a talent Eric is.

8. Sylvia

"Canadians pairs team Duhamel, Radford pay tribute with short program" (Canadian Press article by Lori Ewing published before today's SP at Skate Canada): http://www.montrealgazette.com/spor...tribute with short program/9078215/story.html

9. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i agree- i love watching him- he must be one special guy to work with- and quiet too :D

10. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

95% of the time I am only watching Eric. He's been a favorite of mine since I saw him in junior mens at a Canadian championship a long time ago. Such a gorgeous skater. Wishing him and Meagan a great Olympic season!

11. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Loved the music and loved the program.......can't wait to see it skated cleanly. They held it together though.......wishing them a terrific skate tomorrow

12. spikydurian

Feeling sad that D&R missed the gold in SC. Having said this, and looking on the bright side, they did medal though not the colour I want them to get. Better to make the error now than in the most important competition. They still have the time to work out the kinks.

13. puglover

puglover Active Member

What does this mean for the Grand Prix final - will they have to win their next one to qualify?

14. spikydurian

I am not sure puglover. I remember reading somewhere that in order to qualify for GPF, you need no less than a 2-2 or 3-1 (ie two second placings or one third + one first placings).

15. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

A 2nd and 3rd is usually enough, maybe even a 3rd and a 3rd on occasion, depending how many pairs have good results.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  16. blueglass

blueglass New Member

That technical mark is like having cold water thrown in their face. They knew before that they had to be perfect, but it still must be disheartening.

17. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Why would it be disheartening? They lost about 8 points on the lift. In addition, they had several level 1 and level 2 calls for elements. Those are things they can fix and which probably lost them an additional 5 or 6 points.

What's heartening for them is that their PCS scores here were about 4 or 5 points higher than they were at Skate Canada last season, at the same point in the season. I'm sure Meagan (who is the mathematician on their team) will know that.

18. geoskate

One team that seems to be quickly coming together is the new team of Vanessa Grenier/Maxime Deschamps. They have come a long way since their first performances of the short program at Quebec Summer competition and the long program at Souvenir Georges-Ethier. Here's their long program from sectionals, where they competed in junior pairs. http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40420855. They had a score of 90.43 in the long.

19. geoskate

I like this novice team from Alberta: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/40626884.

It's probably best to adopt Sylvia's philosophy for young skaters of just enjoying the skating right now, rather than projecting what could happen in the future, though. It looks like he's just starting to grow to his final height, and she hasn't gone through puberty yet. They're fun to watch right now, though.

20. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Very nice, thanks for sharing

21. Sylvia

Duhamel/Radford article by Beverley Smith published before the start of TEB: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/3037/language/en-US/Default.aspx

3-minute video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFuYHlC1xIw
    This video is also embedded on Babin's site: http://louisbabin.com/eric-radford-meegan-duhamel-et-louis-babin-sur-tsn-ctv/

October 25, 2013
    Q&A: Alumnus Eric Radford, medal-winning figure skater and composer:
    http://www.rcmusic.ca/connecting/rc...rd-medal-winning-figure-skater-and-composer-0

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  22. geoskate

Duhamel/Radford's skate from TEB has been posted. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwlCjKBN-Ao.

It's still a work in progress, I think, but coming along nicely. Also, this article suggests that Duhamel/Radford plan to continue skating after the Olympics.

23. geoskate

The short program of Purich/Tran is posted on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHMacYEWpVc, but not the long program yet. Unfortunately CBC didn't show them at all in the TEB broadcast, at least out west.

They established a new personal best in the long program (106.20) and overall (162.09), and finished sixth overall. Their short program score (55.89) did not beat their Nebelhorn score, because Natasha stepped out of their throw here.

It was a good Grand Prix debut for them. It's probably also a good enough score to get them on to the Grand Prix next year, regardless of what they do in the rest of the season. The cutoff last year for top 24 was 153.56 points. It might be a bit higher this year with the Olympic scores thrown in there, but they should still be OK.

I think they're coming together well. Right now they and Lawrence/Swiegers seem to be the top contenders for the third Olympic spot. If Paige's injury is healed by Canadians, they might have a slight edge; if it's not, then Purich/Tran may have a slight edge.

ETA: Their long program is also now on Youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXr0_kdUNZc. It's the best performance they have had to date in their short career, IMO.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  24. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I was thinking after TEB finished that Purich/Tran might grab the 3rd spot ahead of Lawrence/Swiegers, since Lawrence/Swiegers did not skate well at NHK. However, I know things might be different later if Paige has healed.

25. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

Impressive skate by Purich/Tran! It will be an exciting Canadians in pairs & dance with those 3rd Olympic spots wide open....here's to great skates and healthy competitors!

26. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

A month or so ago on FB Meagan and some people were joking about some overused music and Julie Marcotte piped in with something like "I should use that for your short next year!", to which of course I replied "Next year!?!??!?!?". That got me 'likes' from both Meagan and Eric...so....

They are both pretty healthy and they said if their bodies hold up they'd continue on. With the retirements expected after this year they'd have a shot at gold in Shanghai. I assume it would be one year at a time...

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  27. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

Really looking forward to the Challenge competition. We're in BC, staying with my sister for a skiing trip, so have access to her skatebuzz & will be watching the feeds.

I'm particularly interested in the senior pairs event and the match-up between Lawrence/Sweigers & Purich/Tran. I'm hoping Paige is healthy and we get to see a good competition. Also, at BC summerskate we saw the junior pair long and a young team, LeClaire/Mostert. They had a real spark about them and we really enjoyed them, although we didn't really like the music or choreography...the skaters themselves were lovely to watch and quite skilled.

28. reut

reut Active Member

From my interview with them before Skate Canada:

29. reut

reut Active Member

30. Sylvia

Regina's Mervin Tran happy to be home for Skate Canada Challenge (he talks about his split from Narumi Takahashi and his new partnership with Natasha Purich): http://www.leaderpost.com/sports/Regina Tran happy home Skate Canada Challenge/9249288/story.html
    Excerpt re. T/T's split:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013