Canadian Pairs 2013/2014 - News and updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Cant Skate, Jan 31, 2013.

1. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I heard that commentary at the end of their program, since I just came to the live feed when they were almost done, and I thought they must have skated really badly.. however, when I went back and watched the entire program it I found that they had actually done okay. I agree that the comments were a bit too negative for what was put out there.

2. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Seguin/Bilodeau finished fourth at the JGP in Ostrava, Czech Republic. Both their short and long programs were significantly better skated here than in Belarus (scores short program 50.50 vs. 47.96 in Belarus, and long program 90.68 vs 79.46 in Belarus). Good for them.

Their short program is here, and the free program is here. Charlie's fall on the double axel sequence in the long program likely cost them the bronze medal.

IMO she's a significantly better performer than he is at this point; he has some work to do. However, they are coming along well.

3. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Just watched Duhamel & Radford debut their "Alice in Wonderland" freeskate at Georges Ethier and I really, really like it. Well from what I could tell from the blurry feed. Skated pretty well too, except for both missing the sbs triple sals. Going to be interesting to see how the program develops as the season goes on.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

I absolutely loved it too myself. There is so much good within that program already and it's only October. They did both mess the triple sal (but apparently it was a curse today too, Purich and Tran missed it badly as well) but everything else was pretty much bang on. It really is built for them in terms of building throughout the program to a climax. If they skate it to it's full potential, anything could happen in Sochi. There is just so much to like. I think these are the two best programs they've ever done.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

6. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

but their side by side triple lutz were amazing.. what a great program.. it will be a tough year for the Canadian pairs not sure which one will be on top as much closer than other years but either way will have a great Olympic team.. can't wait for Ottawa :)

7. geoskate

Their program is a great contrast to the short program - totally different styles. While I was watching it, I kept thinking, 'Is this choreographed by Ingo Steuer?". It isn't, of course, but it looks like one of the avant-garde programs he would put out for Savchenko/Szolkowy.

Their height has improved on the triiple twist and also on both the throws.

8. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

9. nyrak

nyrak Active Member

Wow love love love it! Can't wait to see it live at Skate Canada in a couple weeks :)

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  10. geoskate

Purich/Tran's program is here. As mentioned above, they had trouble on the 3S and she also fell on the throw 3Lz. For some reason, the pair spin near the end was not counted, costing them about 5 points (Protocols). Can anyone explain what they did incorrectly? It looked fine to me.

Interestingly, they received PCS scores at this competition that were 4 points lower than what they received from international judges at Nebelhorn last week. Usually it's the other way around, with international judges marking lower than domestic judges. Having watched both programs, I'm not sure that the lower PCS scores were justified.

11. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

Wow I love that LP from Duhamel/Radford!! I can't wait to see how it develops throughout the season and really hope they bring it in Sochi.

12. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I'm very impressed with the height they've developed in the triple twist. That's such a key element. I don't like their music choice but they always pick something I don't like and it hasn't hurt them so far :) I would like to see what another choreographer could do to eliminate those bent leg positions that Megan (and Eric in a few elements) has in spins and lifts and spirals. They do nothing to help her achieve the long line she needs.

13. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Accent: Meagan Duhamel skating outside the box

Programs like this give me hope that brilliance and originality in pair skating is still possible under COP. Really looking forward to seeing it live at Skate Canada. :)

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  14. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

That''s a terrific article, and I hope all their Olympic dreams come true. They are standing on the threshold of achieving what they want. I can't wait to see their programs again.

15. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Really, really like it, I wonder, however, if those are their final costumes. Something a little bit more Mad Hatterish would be appropriate. :p

16. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Tweeted back on Oct. 1 (quite a photo!):
    2014 CANFund calendars are now available for purchase here: http://www.canadianathletesnow.ca/can-fund-news/the-peak-moment-calendar.html

Both of Canada's top pairs were 2012-2013 Winter Athlete Recipients of the Canadian Athletes Now Fund: http://www.canadianathletesnow.ca/h...lass/2012/13-winter-athlete-recipients-1.html
    FAQ: http://www.canadianathletesnow.ca/about-us/faq.html

Duhamel's profile: http://www.canadianathletesnow.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=875&Itemid=119
    Radford's profile: http://www.canadianathletesnow.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=885&Itemid=119

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  17. geoskate

Congratulations to Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, who established a new personal best in the short program at Skate America. Their score of 71.51 beats anything they have done either nationally or internationally to date.

On the other hand, Purdy/Marinaro did not have their best skate, with problems on the throw, twist and jumps. They're probably one of the teams in the running for the third Olympic spot, but they will need a much better short program than this to secure the spot.

18. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

I missed their skate, but this was their first competition of the season I think, and Margaret is coming off an injury (shoulder I think) so hopefully things will get better. The race for that third spot is going to be close. Purich/Tran haven't lived up to expectation. I haven't seen Lawrence/Sweigers yet this season but I'm hoping they make a good run for it too. I really like those two.

19. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes...great skate from MT/M. And I would also like to see Lawrence/Sweigers get that 3rd spot. As much as I like the new team of Purich/Tran and believe in their potential in the coming years, I really would like L/S have a terrific year and get to go to the OG's...

20. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

It's like MT/M are now expected to just skate cleanly every time they go out. It's like they could do their programs with their eyes closed. The tiny thing I would have wished for them was that they take the approach D/R do which is to find every point and half point they could to optimize their podium chances. Wonder if they tried 3/3 as a combo instead of sequence (much harder I know...) or did they try to learn harder lifts. Need to go hand to hand to get 7 base value.

My heart is still with L/S to go to Sochi. They rode the bench for so long and seem like awesome people. P/T don't have any chemistry yet and honestly don't look all that great together. They have been downgrading their elements as the season goes to build consistency.
    Michael is my hero for doing so well in the pair moves with a partner so close in size to him. I just have a hunch Purdy retires after this year; I say this like once a month but if we can get Purich and Marinaro together they will be THE next team. Nevertheless I hope he and Margaret have a good season.

21. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

I would also love to see L/S get that 3rd spot..but I would also just love to see them at 100%, injury free & putting down a clean skate. They seem to always have the obstacle of injury or lack of consistency on the solo jumps. Two of their long programs have been my favs..the Dracula one & War Horse. Loved them & can't wait to see what they have this year.

22. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Moore-Towers/Moscovitch are scary good right now. Wow. They have really made a statement that they are gunning for a National title and international podiums. Goodness, if S/S and V/T retire/skip Worlds, we could see them (or D/R if they skate well) top the podium.

Missing Worlds 2012 was probably the single best thing to happen to them, career-wise (that and Mark Pillay).

clarie and (deleted member) like this.
  23. geoskate

Their long program from Skate America is now posted on Youtube (without commentary, too!). Their comments in the Kiss and Cry are interesting, as they start analyzing what happened on the side-by-side spins.

Despite the great marks, I think this is a program that will still grow, unlike the short program which is pretty much fully formed already.

24. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

25. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

The scores for MT/M in Detroit show that that the international judges see them as elite among pairs and medal contenders. Their LP PCS score is over 3.5 pts more than what they got in front of the home crowd at worlds last year. 8.18 to 8.57 was the range. That's big time. So we have V/T winning gold (unless they fall 5 times) and wow it's wide open right after that. I LOVES me a good pairs comp!

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Re: Duhamel/Radford's FS

This is why Julie Marcotte is by far the best pairs choreographer working at the moment. I can't wait to see how that program will develop over the course of the season.

Purich/Tran will probably beat them quite easily at Nationals. Purdy/Marinaro were great at 2013 Junior Worlds but given how close they are in size, there's only as much as they can achieve within those limitations, sadly. I can't see them ever getting a clean triple twist and the lifts will probably also always look a little laboured. Sorry to say that but I think that Marinaro should look for another partner.

27. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Perhaps he'll Marinaro will skate with Kirsten when Dillon retires. ;). I read somewhere that they are a couple, but don't know if they still are as I really don't follow that trend.

28. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I think you're mixing up Marinaro with Ian Beharry, who Kirsten was reported to be dating and perhaps still is (I don't know their status).

Purdy is a beautiful skater but just too tall for Marinaro...she would need someone along the lines of Jean-Sebastien Fectau to be successful and he needs someone shorter. It's a shame because they are both talented skaters. At this point, I don't know who I'd suggest either of them to pair up with though. The only current male skaters I can think of tall enough for her would be Mathew Penasse or Samuel Morais...I believe that Morais is knew to pairs, so I don't really know what he would be capable of and Penasse had never particularly impressed me. As for Marinaro, I had previously hoped to see him with either Julianne Seguin or Natasha Purich, but they both have good partners now. I can't think of anyone else who would be at his level.

29. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Wow, that was great. That is all that I have to say. ;)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Purdy is such a beautiful girl and skater that its a shame that she is too tall for Marinaro but that's the hard truth. she's not going to get shorter and he's not going to get taller at this point. I just can't see them making the transition to senior pairs successfully but if the do decide to stay together, I wish them well.

If Marinaro does decide to look for someone smaller, at this point he'll probably have to find some junior/senior lady who is ready to make the switch over to pairs skating.