Canadian Pairs 2012

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by shutterbug, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Steele/Schultz's ISU bio has her at 156 cm, which is 5'2.5"...not to mention that those bios are generally pretty unreliable and/or out of date.
  2. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

I would say 5'2.5" is probably pretty accurate.
  3. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

So many charming pairs in Canada today, I can't choose my favorite.
  4. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Duhamel/Radford on a new ISU personal best in the short program at Skate Canada. Their previous personal best was at last year's World Championships (63.69). In fact, I believe their marks at Skate Canada were their best short program marks ever, including all domestic competitions.
  5. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes!!! I'm happy for them :)
  6. fan

fan Active Member

Alexie Gélinas / David Struthers, 11th at last Sr. CNDS, appear to have split. He's on Ice Partner Search.
  7. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

8. fan

fan Active Member

does anyone know if rob schultz has a partner?
  9. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Found It!

There's a thread about Meagan Duhamel in GSD, which got me to thinking about Canadian pairs. After NHK and TEB, I totally feel that both D/R and M-T/M were in great positions to capture gold at these respective GPs. They both missed the opportunity with too many minor mistakes. When in doubt, the judges seem to always go for the Russians (seemingly a knee-jerk tradition in pairs). For me, I enjoyed watching both Canadian teams more than the Russians they were up against for first place.

Kavaguti/Smirnov seemed to have improved over last year but they were still beatable (despite some dyed-in-the-wool rep from ISU judges). Kudos to Barazova and Larionov for their perseverance as a team, but they literally put me to sleep with their performances. I thought M-T/M had great choreography in both programs and I like the way they look this season, but they made too many small mistakes in both programs.

So, which Canadian team is likely to prevail at Canadian Nationals? I think it will likely be D/R for the gold and M-T/M for the silver. What about bronze?
  10. puglover

puglover Active Member

Anybody know any current news about Dube/Wolfe? I know they have been out due to injury - just wondering if they will be at Canadians?
  11. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I hope Dube and Wolfe come in 7th or 8th at Canadians. I was very displeased that Moore-Towers and Moscovitch were not sent to Worlds last year... :mad:
  12. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I hear ya...my sentiments as well.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I really enjoy MT/M as a pair - there is something that gets me. I can enjoy D&R as athletes but they seldom involve me emotionally in the program. I think they are trying to change that.

At least we have 2 pairs in the GPF. Pity about W&P.
  14. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Maybe we could get out the stake. :EVILLE:

;) (Couldn't resist, PeterG.)
  15. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I agree with you. M-T/M are more exciting to watch sometimes but she falls on the throws more often than Duhamel does, plus they don't have the SBS triple lutzes. I think bronze will either go to Lawrence/Swiegers or Dube/Wolfe. It's hard to say since I don't know how much the injury is going to affect Dube/Wolfe.
  16. laceup

laceup New Member

Great Nationals for Canadian pairs. The top 2 teams at senior were both amazing and 3-5 were all very good. The top 2 at junior were much improved from the start of the season and the 3rd place team had a really nice long. Now lets see who stays together, who swaps partners and who quits LOL.