Canadian Pairs 2012

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by shutterbug, Jan 26, 2012.

1. laceup

laceup New Member

Me either! I wish he had pick Sequin ... or worked things out with Bobak.

2. sk8girl

sk8girl Member

Yes, they are in KW with the Wirtzes.

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Update on Steele & Shultz

4. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Jessica Dubé/Sébastien Wolfe are registered to compete at Liberty (SP only) again this year.

5. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Was very disappointed when MT/M skated bad at nationals. They really impressed me during the Grand prix events and i believe they would have got 3 spots for Canada at worlds if they had competed instead of dube/wolfe

6. laceup

laceup New Member

Nice to see there are some good options for the jgp circuit this year.

7. shutterbug

Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford are both now on Twitter: @mhjd_85 & Rad85E

June 18 tweet from Meagan:

8. shutterbug

Wheeee! The competitive season starts today (thanks Sylvia!): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3599398&postcount=55

Event info: Olympians to participate in Fort Myers Skatium Summer Chiller event

Good luck Paige & Rudi! :)

ETA: Might have spoken too soon - Paige & Rudi withdrew from the SP. Will check the results tomorrow to see if they did the FP.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  9. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

It would appear that the new team of Wesley Killing and Jordyn Harper has split. He has posted on twitter that he has a tryout with Julia in Montreal coming up. I would assume he's referring to Julia Mercer (N7)

10. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Can't wait to see what Eric and Meagan have in store for us this season! Love them! :)

11. Sylvia

A local Florida article published after the SP mentioned that Lawrence/Swiegers "did not compete today [Saturday 6/23] because of a training injury." L/S also withdrew from the FS on Sunday morning - hope it's not serious and they will be back to full strength soon!

12. Sylvia

13. shutterbug

Thanks for the info Sylvia. Hope all is OK with them. :(

Maxime Deschamps also appears to have found a new partner - he's on the list to compete with Naomie Boudreau at the Québec Summer Championships.

14. shutterbug

15. Subway

Subway New Member

I agree with you. It would have made better sense to ignore the meltdown at Canadians and sent them on to Worlds, while Dube/Wolfe got more seasoning at the 4CC's. Its just ridiculous how MTM were cut off at the knees, IMO.

16. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

MT/M wouldn't have done very well at Worlds anyway based on their performances during the year. The highest score they've got was 177.43, that would have put them 10th in a best case scenario. This just wasn't their year.

17. lovesskating

lovesskating New Member

So what was Meagan and Eric's highest score throught the year?

18. julieann

185.41 at Worlds

19. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

Of course, prior to Worlds D/R's season-best international score was 176.62 at TEB. If skaters train to peak at Worlds, those scores should be higher than what comes in the GP. As it stands, looking purely at those results, the two teams were in a pretty similar range prior to Nationals, though of course it's comparing scores across different events.

20. julieann

D/R had 3 deductions in the free at TEB it was a terrible competition for them. MT/M couldn't even get on the podium at nationals after winner the year before; I doubt they would have made up 20 points above their personal best to be in realm of K/S and B/L at Worlds when they couldn't even get to the GPF or beat D/W or L/S at CN.

I have no doubt they are regrouping and will be much stronger this year. But they certainly didn't deserve to be sent with last seasons performances.

21. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Meagan and Eric were beaten by S/S, V/T, T/T and P/T. No surprise about S/S, V/T, and P/T. T/T did surprisingly well, but on a different day K/S and B/L could have performed better than they did. Bottom line - fifth was an excellent result for Meagan and Eric. Could MT-M have achieved eighth place? Maybe, but no guarantees. So to say that the two teams together would have earned three places for Canada in pairs at the next WCh is by no means certain.

22. julieann

I agree. D/R had trouble with jumps and K/S and B/L had a horrible competition and the scores were so close there really could have been a shake up anywhere. I think MT/M would have been somewhere around D/C.

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Somewhere around Denney/Coughlin was 8th, which with Duhamel/Radford's 5th would have meant three spots.

24. flowerpower

If they beat D/C (rather than D/C beating them). Plus 5th was pretty much best-case for D/R...they could have been slightly lower.

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

D/R could have been a lot lower had they had a similar SP to theirs at 4C's, where they didn't look like a top 10 team at Euros, let alone Worlds. However, the national team was decided before 4C's, except for Ladies.

I hadn't thought of the possibility of SC sending M-T/M to Worlds until this thread. (Perhaps if they had been a close third, but not skipping over both D/W and L/S.) However, if I had and were looking at the odds of getting three spots, I would have bet my v-cash on M-T/M having a much greater potential upside based on their technical content and experience.

I was responding to the suggestion that M-T/M could "only" do as well as D/C, who, numerically, did enough.

26. flowerpower

I agree with various posters that on paper, MT-M had a better past track record than L/S or D/W (implying possible success at Worlds). But after they finished 4th at Nationals (with a disastrous performance) I don't know how it would have been possible to justify sending them to the WCh. You have to deliver when it counts, especially when the field is deep.

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

USFS justified choosing Dornbush for first alternate to 4C's, and he had a disastrous Nationals. SC justified not sending Emmanuel Sandhu to Olympics and National Champion Pfaneuf to (senior) Worlds when it suited them.

Again, I wouldn't have expected SC to have skipped over L/S, but they might have had a 4C's face-off between D/W and M/T-M had M/T-M come in a close third, especially with Worlds being in London the following year.

28. julieann

Hypothetically their personally best of 177 would have only had them in 10th. They would have had to beat a team they couldn't beat months before also Marley and Brubaker. They also could have finished as low as 13th.

At any rate D/W earned their spot and did pretty well for only their first year. I think they are a much better team than this season reflects.

29. flowerpower

But who to send to 4CC?

D/R were the national champs and very much wanted to go and try to win (see post-nats interviews). Do you deny them?

L/S are a strong team and needed a good score to earn future GP assignments. Do you deny them?

D/W were second at Nats - should they be bypassed?

Sorry, but MT-M did not deliver when it counted. Who would you keep home so that MT-M could have a second chance at qualifying for Worlds?

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Skate Canada agrees with you in this case that performing at Canadian Nationals was the only thing that counted. (They didn't for Ladies.) MT-M are #12 on the SB list, from their score at SA; D/W are 19th, from their score at SC. MT-M's score was 177.43; the highest D/W scored in international competition was 158.44. That's pretty easy math. D/W had three chances to surpass their first score -- TEB, 4C's, Worlds -- and they didn't. M-T/M had a lower score at CoC, but they still broke 170.

I'm not sure how many times I have to post that I think that M-T/M should have been considered only if they were a close third to D/W, in which case it would have been a no-brainer to have a skate-off at 4C's, like they did for Ladies, and for Ladies, SC was willing to punt the reigning national champion, which would not have been the case for Pairs.

Lawrence/Swiegers didn't need a good score at 4C's to earn future GP assignments: they would have been 21st in World Standings even without their 4C's points, and would have been guaranteed a spot. ETA: They also would have been Top 24 SB with their score from SC.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012