Canadian Pairs 2012

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by shutterbug, Jan 26, 2012.

1. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Oh! I hope she keeps doing pairs - I think she is terrific!

2. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

OMG Maybe Natasha took my advice and partnered with Mervin Tran!

3. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Perhaps she'll concentrate on singles for a while. No need to rush immediately into another partnership. She has a lot of potential and needs the right match.

4. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Did I miss something? He already has a partner.

5. JasperBoy

Yes, I know. But I am on a crusade to repatriate Mervin and have him skate for Canada with a Canadian partner. That way he will be able to go to the Sochi Olympics.

6. julieann

So you want to seperate him from a partner that he does well with to start over with someone who is new and unproven to go to one competition...:scream:

7. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

D/W can and probably will finish in the top 10 at Worlds, if they skate better than at 4CC, which was a pretty off competition for them. Dube has never skated with Wolfe at Worlds before (obviously) so you can't cite what she did with Davison as a pattern that in any way applies to this situation. MT/M coulda woulda shoulda beaten D/W at Nationals. But they didn't so I really don't see why some are so up in arms over D/W going to Worlds. They are a good team. MT/M had every chance to skate well at Nationals as much as the next team but it didn't happen, and they still were looking at probably 6-9th place at Worlds given their GP skates anyway, so I'm not sure it makes much difference.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  8. grandma

grandma Active Member

sounds good, but is he tall enough for Natascha? As Schultz is also very small for a male pair skater, and this might be the reason for the split:rolleyes:

9. JasperBoy

Well, I think they would have to skate at few competitions before being chosen for the Olympic team. If Mervin has to sit out a year, he needs to start now.

This is just my personal crusade. Mervin's a good prairie boy who should be on our team, IMHO.

10. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers New Member

My issue is that Skate Canada has taken 2 opposite approaches to selection of the world team. With the ladies, they are obsessed with making sure they send the person most likely to win 2 spots to Worlds next year. By questioning Lacoste's results all season, ordering a skate-off and so on, Lacoste is not going to world's with a ringing endorsement from her home federation. It's like she's the choice of last result. And she is this year's Canadian champion for goodness sake. And the reality is that it is extremely unlikely ANY Canadian lady will finish top 10 this year. There was no reason for this bout of indecision by Skate Canada.

The same goal is not applied to pairs. Here the point is to only look at Nationals results. If they looked at the whole season, like they did with ladies, MT/M would be the choice. Nationals would be treated like an anomaly and the there would be no question about who goes where. If it's about securing maximum number of spots for next year, MT/M are the best choice right now. D/W are a new team who have not achieved internationally yet. Their programs do not have the difficulty yet of other world teams, and they do not yet have the quality in their pair skills. By rushing them to the international stage too soon, Skate Canada may even be harming them for the future. Dube was once 3rd in the world. Now they are unlikely to crack the top 10 at this world's. That's not a good message internationally. It's quite possible there wouldn't be 3 spots anyway. It didn't happen last year. But at least we'd have the best chance.

We need some consistency and transparency: either Skate Canada makes selection to 4CC and world's based only on Nationals results, or they look at the season and make choices for best likely prospects and future spots. They need a clear, consistent process.

11. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

While I do think the skateoff was pretty unnecessary, IMO the reason they did it is because Lacoste really did not skate very well at Nationals to give them confidence that she was the right pick for champion and Worlds spot, she did do *just* enough to win, but I wouldn't be confident sending that kind of skating to Worlds. I think they were hoping for someone to come out at 4CC and totally nail it to make a very clear choice, but instead what they got was both Lacoste and Phaneuf popping a ton of jumps, and Najarro even worse. So the only thing it kind of helped prove is that Phaneuf is really blowing it in a very consistent way this year, and that Lacoste is basically the same so there's really no good choice.

With pairs, like them or not, Dube/Wolfe gave a very good performance at Nationals that is worthy of Worlds top 10. Whether they repeat that at Worlds is up to them, but there's no reason they shouldn't have a shot. If D/W, MT/M, and L/S all imploded at Nationals, there'd probably be a skateoff for the 2nd spot too. But D/W skated well so they earned it. I don't see D/W being rushed to Worlds before they are ready- if they weren't ready, they wouldn't have been able to beat L/S at Nationals regardless of MT/M blowing up. There's no reason that D/W couldn't make top 10 at Worlds, but let's see what happens.

As for worrying about "messages" to be sending by a low Worlds finish, that's a ridiculous reason not to send someone who is otherwise qualified. I think everyone is aware that skaters have good and bad competitions. Ashley Wagner was still able to win 4CC even though she didn't beat Mao Asada earlier this year, and Marley/Brubaker still made the podium even though they blew up at Skate America. Even if D/W finish 20th at Worlds, they'll still be able to compete for medals on the GP series next year if they show up improved.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  12. julieann

My point was the Olympics is only one competition (maybe two) out of an entire skating career, if they even get to go, so why jeopardize the partner he has now just for that? It seems like a silly decision-besides he's 21, it's sometimes best to just continue on course instead of starting over. No matter what country it's for...at least he's skating. :shuffle:

13. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

My very reliable :sekret: told me awhile ago that Natasha has always wanted to to concentrate on singles (apparently she doesn't like sharing the spotlight with a partner ;) ), and that she picked up pairs on the side.

14. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I heard the same thing. I think the pairs thing was just for fun and then they had some success early on. I never got the impression it was her main goal. By the way, Natasha is very very tiny. I would say she is barely 5 feet, if that. Anyone who is too small a partner for Natasha is too small for pairs, period.

15. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

She's 4'10"

16. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

While checking out IPS last night for any new splits, I noticed Wesley Killing's profile is down. Anyone know of a new partnership? :sekret: And who is Eric Theissen? He looks to be trying to get started in pairs...at 19, is that normal? Maybe he'll get together with Kendra Digness since she's from Edmonton too and looking for a partner. Hard to say if her coaches would be willing to take a chance on a guy with no experience but its pretty slim pickings for boys out West so who knows. Interesting...,I can't wait for the summer competitions!

17. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

New rumoured split – Leah Hyslop/Bob Goodwin

Hmm, interesting about Killing…….all the appropriately aged Canuck girls are still on icepartnersearch, so he’s either decided to pull the plug on skating or he’s found a partner who wasn’t listed. Can’t imagine he’d go without a partner for long if he wants to continue since he’s a good size and still junior age eligible. Andrea Tou maybe? They’re both in Ontario. Natasha? Nah, I don’t see him being an upgrade from Ray, although he is a fair bit bigger. Unless she wants to skate pairs at the junior level to leave herself more time to devote to singles?

So, how many teams do we have that might be considered for JGP assignments in the upcoming season? I’m thinking at least 4, possibly as many as 6: Purdy/Marinaro, Bell/Sylvester, Dejardin/Bilodeau, Rau/Simpson for sure, and possibly Conway/Sherriff-Clayton. Biggest question mark is Bobak/Beharry. They have to skate senior domestically, but I imagine Skate Canada would like to send them to Jr. Worlds again since they’ll still be age eligible. Personally, I’d like to see them go senior, but if the proposed rule change regarding participating in both junior and senior events in the same season passes, that might force them to go junior again if they do want to go back to Jr. Worlds.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  18. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

19. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

Hmmmm.....and Matthew Penasse is down too! Maybe a partnership between Matthew and Natasha?? :watch:

20. JasperBoy

Natasha needs to clone herself. She has been suggested as a partner for at least 4 guys.
    But she should keep herself for Mervin!

21. julieann

They sound like such a great team!

22. JasperBoy

There's no doubt that Eric Radford has paid his dues and deserves every moment of satisfaction that he gets from his high international status.

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Bob Goodwin is newly listed on icepartnersearch. He turns 21 after July 1, 2012, so has one more season of ISU Junior age eligibility in 2012-13.

24. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

The following are age eligible and not listed as split, hopefuly Canada sends more than 2 teams next year.

Margaret Purdy/Michael Marinaro S
    Katie Bobak/Ian Beharry J1
    Krystel Desjardins/Charlie Bilodeau J2
    Shalena Rau/Phelan Simpson J4
    Alexandra Young/Matthew Young J6
    Hayleigh Bell/Alistair Sylvester N1
    Dylan Conway/Dustin Sherriff-Clayton N2
    Marie-Laurence Bradette/Félix-Antoine Garne N3
    Jordyn Harper/Shaquille Davis N5
    Julia Mercer/Spencer Buchanan N7
    Sabrina Vigneault/Cédric Savard N9
    Elizabeth Swenor/Rocky Swenor N10

25. halffull

halffull Life is moving too quickly ...

I completely agree that SC needs to send more than 2 teams this coming season. I understand why they didn't send more last year but we seem to be back to having several teams who are close to or meet the criteria again. :)

26. blademate

blademate Member

Based on his twitter (@wesleykilling), I'd say Killing has a new partner. Anyone know who this is?

Also, any word on other tryouts or new pairings?

Is Zoey Brown still looking to do pairs?

27. sk8rmomma

sk8rmomma New Member

Kendra Digness and Eric Thiessen. He is new to pairs so she is essentially starting from scratch with him. At 13, she has time....at 19 turning 20 in December, he does not. He'll have a lot of work to do to catch up!

I also heard that Natasha Purich was trying out with Sebastian Arcieri (unconfirmed)

28. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

My spies tell me that Ray Schultz and Julianne Seguin are trying out :sekret:

29. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Let's see, a little info on Sebastian Arcieri ……5’7”, DOB May 17, 1994 (age 17), trains in Saint-Léonard with Val Saurette and Annick Douaire.

Novice Pair SP 2012 Canadians: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19809372

Novice Pair LP 2012 Canadians: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19828296

Attractive boy and quite a nice skater. Looks like his previous partner outgrew him. No glaring errors in his technique as far as I can see, which is not surprising given that he’s been training in Saint-Léonard. He still has 3 years of junior age eligibilty left, so this could be a viable partnership if Natasha does want to skate junior for a couple of years. If they do pair up, the big question might be where to train – with the veteran pair coaches in Saint-Léonard or with Ravi at Ice Palace? (getting a little ahead of myself here :lol:)

Good to hear that Wesley Killing may have a new partner. :) I'd hate to lose any of the boys. Julianne and Ray......not sure about this one, doesn't her icepartnersearch bio say she's looking for a partner who can skate junior?

30. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Bobak/Bhearry are aging out for JGP next season right ?