Canadian Pairs 2012

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by shutterbug, Jan 26, 2012.

1. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

They sound like such a great team!

2. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

There's no doubt that Eric Radford has paid his dues and deserves every moment of satisfaction that he gets from his high international status.
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Bob Goodwin is newly listed on icepartnersearch. He turns 21 after July 1, 2012, so has one more season of ISU Junior age eligibility in 2012-13.
  4. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

The following are age eligible and not listed as split, hopefuly Canada sends more than 2 teams next year.

Margaret Purdy/Michael Marinaro S
    Katie Bobak/Ian Beharry J1
    Krystel Desjardins/Charlie Bilodeau J2
    Shalena Rau/Phelan Simpson J4
    Alexandra Young/Matthew Young J6
    Hayleigh Bell/Alistair Sylvester N1
    Dylan Conway/Dustin Sherriff-Clayton N2
    Marie-Laurence Bradette/Félix-Antoine Garne N3
    Jordyn Harper/Shaquille Davis N5
    Julia Mercer/Spencer Buchanan N7
    Sabrina Vigneault/Cédric Savard N9
    Elizabeth Swenor/Rocky Swenor N10
  5. halffull

halffull Well-Known Member

I completely agree that SC needs to send more than 2 teams this coming season. I understand why they didn't send more last year but we seem to be back to having several teams who are close to or meet the criteria again. :)
  6. blademate

blademate New Member

Based on his twitter (@wesleykilling), I'd say Killing has a new partner. Anyone know who this is?

Also, any word on other tryouts or new pairings?

Is Zoey Brown still looking to do pairs?
  7. sk8rmomma

sk8rmomma New Member

Kendra Digness and Eric Thiessen. He is new to pairs so she is essentially starting from scratch with him. At 13, she has time....at 19 turning 20 in December, he does not. He'll have a lot of work to do to catch up!

I also heard that Natasha Purich was trying out with Sebastian Arcieri (unconfirmed)
  8. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

My spies tell me that Ray Schultz and Julianne Seguin are trying out :sekret:
  9. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Let's see, a little info on Sebastian Arcieri ……5’7”, DOB May 17, 1994 (age 17), trains in Saint-Léonard with Val Saurette and Annick Douaire.

Novice Pair SP 2012 Canadians: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19809372

Novice Pair LP 2012 Canadians: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/19828296

Attractive boy and quite a nice skater. Looks like his previous partner outgrew him. No glaring errors in his technique as far as I can see, which is not surprising given that he’s been training in Saint-Léonard. He still has 3 years of junior age eligibilty left, so this could be a viable partnership if Natasha does want to skate junior for a couple of years. If they do pair up, the big question might be where to train – with the veteran pair coaches in Saint-Léonard or with Ravi at Ice Palace? (getting a little ahead of myself here :lol:)

Good to hear that Wesley Killing may have a new partner. :) I'd hate to lose any of the boys. Julianne and Ray......not sure about this one, doesn't her icepartnersearch bio say she's looking for a partner who can skate junior?
  10. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Bobak/Bhearry are aging out for JGP next season right ?
  11. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

They have one more season left.
  12. shutterbug

Lawrence/Swiegers are in Toronto this week to have their new SP choreographed according to Paige’s Apr. 2nd post on their facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Paige-Lawrence-and-Rudi-Swiegers-Fan-Page/125647904221245

I imagine Toronto = Lane/Razguliaevs again. Looking forward to seeing the new creation. :)

Stealing info from another thread: Pairs and Dance for 12-13 GP series

Any speculation on Skate Canada’s choices for the fall senior B event (Nebelhorn or the possible new US Senior B) and the host picks for Skate Canada? D/W are unlikely to get either since they are already guaranteed 2 GP events. Most likely choices for SC would seem to be D/R, MT/M and L/S. But, this does set up a bit of a conflict as both D/R and MT/M will be vying for spots in the GPF. For the Senior B team, possibly B/B (if they’re skating senior) and Steele/Schultz? This would make sense since the two teams share coaches.
  13. Sylvia

14. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

15. sk8rmomma

sk8rmomma New Member

Jordyn Harper
  16. Sylvia

"Bobak and Beharry look forward to sophomore season": http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/04/bobak-and-beharry-look-forward-to-sophomore-season/
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  17. shutterbug

A little disappointed that they’re staying junior, but very pleased to hear they have a long list of things they plan to work on. New throw = 3flip or 3lutz I’m guessing? That’s one thing about the Wirtz’s, they are not afraid to push their skaters.

Oh yes, nats will be VERY interesting………betting it won't be long before we see 2 Wirtz teams on the podium…….
  18. laceup

laceup New Member

Actually, Bobak and Beharry have split. She has been spotted giving Barrie.
  19. blademate

blademate New Member

Can anyone confirm this??? Absolutely unexpected!
  20. JillyBean16

JillyBean16 Member

What was she spotted doing? Was she skating with someone else?
  21. julieann

WTH does that even mean?
  22. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers New Member

I HIGHLY doubt this. This would not make sense at all for either one of them. Whatever "laceup" thinks he/she saw, it was not a broken up team of Bobak/Beharry. They've in fact just finished a whole pile of skating shows around Southwestern Ontario.

Here is a link to an article about them in Goldenskate. It's very fresh - last week fresh. So "laceup"' statement is more than a little far-fetched.

http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/04/bobak-and-beharry-look-forward-to-sophomore-season/
  23. sk8tingfan30

sk8tingfan30 New Member

Shocking but its true
  24. halffull

halffull Well-Known Member

My relative at KW says it's true. Happened earlier this week.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  25. sequins

sequins New Member

i was wondering the same thing. I hope it's not true but I guess stranger things have happened. Still I'd be shocked.
  26. laceup

laceup New Member

Sorry, I didn't finish my sentence. She's been giving Barrie a try ... as in skating there this week to see what it's like. Talking to Lee Barkell. I was shocked as well. They had a great season. It is true though. I'm not one to post much and never about rumours.
  27. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

:(
  28. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

ITA. I am thrilled that he and Meagan teamed up and are enjoying so much success. They were awesome this season and I can't wait to see them next year.

Thanks for providing the link to that article, Sylvia.
  29. NorthernDancers

I'm gobsmacked!! They had/have the potential to be future world champions if they stuck/stick it out together. Shocking!!

Is it perhaps possible that he is on vacation and she is checking out different training environments for when he returns? It wouldn't be the first Wirtz team to move from KW to Barrie.

If they are split, any chance Skate Canada can organize an intervention, find them a sport psychologist and sort through this? By all reports, they got along great as a team. They have something special, intangible, that neither will find elsewhere. It's rare. If it's the training environment, that can be changed. The real stuff that matters is there between them. And unlike her old partner, he treated her well. This is incomprehensible to me.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  30. shutterbug

Possibly her partner got a "better" offer........I really hope I'm wrong........poor Katie. :(
  31. julieann

I really wouldn't surprise me if it were true. It's the same thing with the new Russian pairs who have been to a few competitions and they are suddenly the new G/G. Doing well one season isn't enough, new teams need more than that.
  32. lovesskating

lovesskating New Member

Shutterbug. What gives you the impression that Katie is the hurt one. If she has been seen in Barrie. Has anyone heard if Ian has a new partner.
  33. sk8tingfan30

sk8tingfan30 New Member

word is that it was Katie's decision.
  34. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Shocked about B&B. But I'm glad she is supposedly not with the Wirtzes anymore. :D Love Lee Barkell as a pairs coach so I hope she sticks with him. Are Jones & Gaskell still together?

Before I read it was her decision, I wondered if Beharry decided to skate with Moore-Towers or something.
  35. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Did I miss something? Have Moscovich and Moore-Towers broken up or are you just speculating?
  36. NorthernDancers

Just because someone dates, doesn't mean they have to skate together. In fact, a review of history would say that in the vast majority of circumstances, especially when the people in question are still young (we are talking about 2 people 20 years old and under), it is way better not to skate and date. MT/M I'm sure are just fine as a team.

I truly hope that Ian finds a wonderful, very talented, even tempered and level-headed young lady to skate with and grow with over the long term. He's a great guy, and very talented.
  37. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

Where did you get that info? I just interviewed them and there was no hint of a split. Beharry was in Cuba for a family vacation very recently. Maybe that's why Bobak skated without him?
  38. blademate

blademate New Member

spoke with some Barrie :sekret: ...B/B did split this week, and she left Ian and the Wirtzes

ETA:

Also, no they are not. Gaskell retired. Maybe Jones and Beharry should team up!
  39. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

So sad to see this confirmed.

I thought they had great potential.
  40. NorthernDancers

Well, that's a really unwise decision on her part. She's pretty much killed her future career in this sport. She could have had a shot at 2014 and 2018. She could have won Junior Worlds next season. She was skating with a really great skater and partner. People look a lifetime for that kind of partnership. I can't see how many will take her seriously going forward. Whoever is advising her needs to give their head(s) a serious shake. They have caused her career irreparable damage. I also have to wonder about the Barrie coaches. If no one else can bother to speak the truth to this girl and those around her, at least they should have tried to keep the winning team together, even if it means not gaining a student. Maybe they did. I hope they did.