Canadian Pairs 2012

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by shutterbug, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I still like Bobak better than Jones, but Jones doesn't look as bad as I thought she would. I give her credit because her posture has improved (and could still get better). BUT....what really is glaring to me is the utter lack of toe point/stretch. She needs tons of ballet classes. I also don't think they have the chemistry together that Bobak and Beharry did. But I digress.

Any news on Bobak? Has she retired?

2. blademate

blademate Member

Yes Rafter,

Unfortunately Bobak decided to leave the sport. Maybe things aren't so "perfect" in KW after all :(

3. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Sad news. I like Bobak-Beharry last season and thought they have a lot off potenrial together.
    Dont like Jones posture. Maybe worst in FS :( And isnt she is too tall for him?

4. skaters

skaters New Member

Show me a club where things are "perfect"...

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

6. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I can't believe Paige was trying to be a horse! So glad she spoke up and the changed the concept. The music is glorious and I loved the program. Both their programs are beautiful and I hope they can get their elements sharper. Their lifts are amazing.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Best quotes from the IN article:

Paige Lawrence: "I used to be a horse, but I'm a girl now."

"It was tough to portray that horse and rider connection, and then have to lift the horse over my head," Swiegers said.

Golden Skate article on 2012 Canadian novice pairs champions Hayleigh Bell, 16, and Alistair Sylvester, 18 next month: http://www.goldenskate.com/2012/09/canadas-bell-and-sylvester-hope-for-more-surprises/
    They placed 7th in Linz, Austria (their JGP debut) and compete next in Zagreb, Croatia.

8. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed Dube/Wolf won't be doing the GP. I was looking forward to seeing this team improve.

Does anyone have more news? Are they training for Canadian Nationals?

9. blademate

blademate Member

Given that neither they nor Phaneuf were brought to the High Performance Camp for off-ice activities and media, I think they are all likely done.

Desanctis and Najarro also did not skate at the camp, but they were there for off-ice stuff...

10. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Maybe, but the French article that I referred to upthread had different comments from SC's Mike Slipchuk about the absences of Phaneuf from HPC vs. Dube/Wolfe.

Slipchuk said SC would be meeting with Cynthia shortly and he understood she may be seriously considering her future (in the sport). OTOH he said that Dube's injury had slowed D/W's preparation and SC would be monitoring their status to assess readiness for their GP's.

11. Proustable

Proustable New Member

12. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

13. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I like the choreo in both the programs. Along with the music it gives them a softer look. Otherwise they came across as an athletic pair but there was a sameness about them.

Hopefully unison and other things will develop with mileage.

14. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

15. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

16. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

17. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

She appears to be listed as a Junior ladies single skater at WO Sectionals, as is Brittany Jones.

18. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

I miss Katherine Bobak in pairs, but glad to hear that she is still skating singles. I really liked her skating.

19. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Yikes...I thought Arsenault was too tall for Cote, and Steele is even taller.

20. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Good for them! Hope it works out. :)

According to the Media Guide from last nats, Arseneault is 5'2", Steele is 5'1".

21. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Steele/Schultz's ISU bio has her at 156 cm, which is 5'2.5"...not to mention that those bios are generally pretty unreliable and/or out of date.

22. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

I would say 5'2.5" is probably pretty accurate.

23. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

So many charming pairs in Canada today, I can't choose my favorite.

24. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Congratulations to Duhamel/Radford on a new ISU personal best in the short program at Skate Canada. Their previous personal best was at last year's World Championships (63.69). In fact, I believe their marks at Skate Canada were their best short program marks ever, including all domestic competitions.

25. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes!!! I'm happy for them :)

26. fan

fan Well-Known Member

Alexie Gélinas / David Struthers, 11th at last Sr. CNDS, appear to have split. He's on Ice Partner Search.

27. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

28. fan

fan Well-Known Member

does anyone know if rob schultz has a partner?

29. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Found It!

There's a thread about Meagan Duhamel in GSD, which got me to thinking about Canadian pairs. After NHK and TEB, I totally feel that both D/R and M-T/M were in great positions to capture gold at these respective GPs. They both missed the opportunity with too many minor mistakes. When in doubt, the judges seem to always go for the Russians (seemingly a knee-jerk tradition in pairs). For me, I enjoyed watching both Canadian teams more than the Russians they were up against for first place.

Kavaguti/Smirnov seemed to have improved over last year but they were still beatable (despite some dyed-in-the-wool rep from ISU judges). Kudos to Barazova and Larionov for their perseverance as a team, but they literally put me to sleep with their performances. I thought M-T/M had great choreography in both programs and I like the way they look this season, but they made too many small mistakes in both programs.

So, which Canadian team is likely to prevail at Canadian Nationals? I think it will likely be D/R for the gold and M-T/M for the silver. What about bronze?

30. puglover

puglover Active Member

Anybody know any current news about Dube/Wolfe? I know they have been out due to injury - just wondering if they will be at Canadians?