Canadian National Team Question

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by blue_idealist, May 4, 2011.

1. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I just looked on the Skate Canada website list for the Canadian National team:
    http://skatecanada.ca/en-us/development/nationalteam.aspx

I noticed there are four pairs and six dance teams. I know there are six dance teams because of Virtue and Moir not competing at Nationals, but why were only four pairs included instead of the usual five?
  2. mocha-ice

mocha-ice Active Member

Brodeur and Mattatal (4th in Victoria) announced their retirement not too long after Nationals. So there are only four pairs teams (SC doesn't bump up the 6th place team)
  3. blue_idealist

Oh, ok, thanks. I thought they would bump up the 6th place team, but I guess I was wrong. I can't even remember who that was, actually. I also completely forgot about Brodeur and Mattatall's retirement since the skaters from the worlds were on my mind so much.
  4. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Sawyer's still on the list, though. Odd.
  5. blue_idealist

Yeah, that's weird that Shawn is still on the list. I think he announced his retirement after B & M.
  6. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

7. blue_idealist

That's weird that Shawn is still on the list. Maybe they're thinking they can entice him into coming back? I thought he might have lost his eligible status though.
  8. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

No he hasn't. He's just been on tour, I believe the same one other eligible have been on.

And given how Joey and Kevin did this year, maybe no-one wants to burn any bridges just yet.
  9. blue_idealist

I thought he might have lost his eligible status because he chose to do the tour instead of going to worlds
  10. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I don't think it is a problem because he wasn't a seeded skater for worlds this year.
  11. quebecoise

quebecoise New Member

This is why I thought too. From what I understand, if you miss an important competition and say you are not going 2-3 weeks before it(injured or not) and you do shows instead during Worlds time, you are supposed to loose it. I don't understand people who is saying Shawn hasn't lost his eligible status...can someone explain?
  12. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Plus, Skate Canada approved Shawn's decision to do the shows. IIRC if the skater has their federation's permission, they avoid getting 'The Plushenko'.
  13. blue_idealist

He came 2nd at Canadian Nats and was named to the team, then replaced by Kevin Reynolds at the last minute when he decided to skate in CSOI.. how does that make him not a seeded skater?
  14. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

He's never been top 6 in the world -- that's the definition of a 'seeded' skater.
  15. pani

pani Well-Known Member

6 teams in ice dance? :confused:
    Why not 5?
    V-M last in this least. Maybe 6 teams because Skate Canada dont know will V-M skate next season or no?
  16. TygerLily

TygerLily Well-Known Member

I assume there are six because SC funds teams 1-5 and still wanted to fund V/M.
  17. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

I don’t think there’s anything remarkable about V&M being included on the team. Skate Canada has left some wiggle room to add skaters/teams who were not able to participate at Canadians but still may be eligible to receive international assignments:

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/development/nationalteam.aspx

18. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Maybe they have 6 in dance because they only have 4 teams in pairs (because no other teams are good enough) which is still the same funding as 5 in each.