Canadian Men other than Chan

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by mag, May 24, 2012.

1. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

That's good news for Mitchell. Watched his vid, and like his skating.

2. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Balde is my favourite male singles skater. I just love him. I think his coaching move was the smartest thing he could have done and I wish him so much luck going into his next few competitions. I would be beyond thrilled if he made it to Sochi.

3. Manaud

Manaud New Member

He was wonderful to watch at skate canada and such a personality off the ice!

4. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I like Balde too. The coaching change was really smart and I hope he continues to improve. Really hoping he makes the world team this season.

5. Twilight1

I haven't seen him live yet but I really really want to! :D

6. spikydurian

I was disappointed with Balde's low scores at Skate Canada. He's fun to watch.

7. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I'm going to put my money on Rogozine to make the world team although he does need power and refinement. Landed a quad in the short at sectionals. He is our version of Nagasu who can land jumps but pull low marks because the judges are crapping all over technique.

I LOOOOOOOVE Firus. The only other skater from any country other than Chan that makes my pulse pound just skating around the ice. Patrick Chan in an Elvis Stojko body *sigh* He needs time. I hope he gets there.

Balde is our Candeloro. Crazy hair and loves to skate and has charisma. But I'm not sold. He skates like he's 20 lbs overweight and has only ok body line. He has a shot at the world team but I'm going with Andrei.

Ten is awesome to watch but the last few years troubles have effectively ended his run. He's done.

Reynolds is our #2.

Gordon and Sadovsky are going to be very much worth watching. I HATE Gordon's long to Neil Diamond. He looks awkward skating to it like his parents are punishing him for misbehaving by giving him this program.

8. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

At this point, Rogozine is pretty much guaranteed to be on the World team, as he's the only guy other than Reynolds and Chan to meet the minimum TES requirements in both programs. Balde has met the SP minimum, but not the FP minimum, so he'd need to get the FP score at 4CC if he were to do well enough at Nationals to be Skate Canada's preferred choice for Worlds. He missed the FP minimum at Skate Canada by just over 2 points with a very solid skate, so he would really need to be lights out to get the minimum.

9. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

:revenge:

10. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I wish we could free Ten. If he could go to someone like Frank Carroll I think he would be a force. He has world class written all over him when he takes to the ice. He just doesn't seem to have any confidence left when it comes to the jumps.

11. spikydurian

Ten has a natural ease and artistry in his movements. Indeed if he can get his TES up, it will be great for him.

Is PeterG in red and Rock2 in blue? :D

12. Twilight1

I never got into Jeremy Ten, but i think I am going to go back and rewatch some if his programs.

13. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I will hold back on my red blob until you report back to us............

14. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Peter G, I really like Ten. His LP last year was gorgeous. Before his last injury he totally got the 3A. High and great in the air. He genuinely had the jump.

I was looking for a significant step up this year with last year being his comeback year, but it's not happening. I'll give it until nationals. If he doesn't do something special at challenge or nats then I wouldn't even be surprised if he retired after this season.

15. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Truce accepted. I take back those 8,753 punches to your face since the :revenge: post.

Sorry 'bout yer nose by the way.... :(

16. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

17. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

OK, my eyes just about bugged out of my head at one particular name. Here's the first 5 names ... guess which one caused me to bug eye

#
    Senior Men Short Program
    December 5, 2012 to December 9, 2012
    Regina, SK
    2013 Skate Canada Challenge
    Name
    Starting Order
    Section
    1 Dustin Sherriff-Clayton CO
    2 Samuel Morais QC
    3 Garrett Gosselin SK
    4 Charles Dion QC
    5 Emanuel Sandhu BC/YT

If you guessed the person who is listed as #5, you would be correct. Another comeback attempt?

18. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Emanuel didn't skate at BC/YT Sections so I'm not sure how he could have qualified for Challenge.

ETA: I think Emanuel's name should actually be Liam Firus as I don't see him on the list. Or, if Liam has a bye to Nationals ( I can't remember if he does ) then Jeremy Ten is still missing and he placed second at Sections.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  19. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Reynolds is like a more technical Canadian Addam Rippon version
    but just still cant put everything together, he has immense talent no doubt

20. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Firus has a bye (senior grand prix) as does Ten (top three from 2012 Canadians).
    Presumably Sandhu could get a bye through sectionals as there were fewer than four entered who weren't already byed (for example Mitchell Gordon who skated at sectionals but had a bye through sectionals based on his JGP assignments).

21. mag

mag Well-Known Member

This just occurred to me as well but you beat me to it. I did a little fishing and apparently Sandhu has been practicing. According to my source the triples are back. Not sure if that means the axel or not.

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The name that popped out for me is "Garrett Gosselin.". His Junior Men's SP in Victoria was one of the most beautiful programs I've ever seen, and I was afraid he'd quit skating.

(I'm still :wuzrobbed over Karolin Metivier leaving.)

23. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Same here. I thought and assumed Garrett left the sport. Loved his SP in Victoria although it had two mistakes in it. I hope he has added some jumps/consistency. Looking forward to seeing what happens here.

Firus should skate. Needs mileage...unless his coaches feel it best he conserve funds and stay home and train, too. Not like he's going to worlds....

24. emilieh

emilieh Active Member

IIRC, Gosselin was injured sometime in the second half of 2011, but I can't remember what the injury was. He may have even skated at a summer competition or two last year. I think he just didn't have enough time to recover in time for Challenge.

I am also thrilled to see him back, but wonder why he didn't make the rounds this summer and fall. Hope he's healthy now!

25. Ballroomdancer

Ballroomdancer New Member

I am psyched to see Garrett Back. He was wonderful in Victoria. I was sitting near his Mom and had a nice little chat with her. Too bad the "first place nerves" bit him in the long. And he's from Saskatchewan!!!

26. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

He skated at Sask Open, Octoberfest and Sask. Sectionals this season. He has been improving quite rapidly, as his scores show:
    Sask Open short 36.81; long 105.39; total 142.20
    Octoberfest short 53.72; long 103.,40; total 157.12
    Sask sectionals short 60.57; long 112.35; total 172.92

Also the protocols from the competitions show he is landing more jumps with each competition. He still has a long way to go jump-wise to be truly competitive in senior, but it is great to see him back and starting to return to his old form.

In juniors I'll be watching Peter O'Brien with interest. He's last season's junior silver medallist, but apparently didn't skate in any competition this season until EOS sectionals, which suggests that he was injured. I think he's still young enough to be on the JGP next season, so his skate at nationals might be very important for him despite already having a junior medal.

27. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

He came back from injury too soon, and then, if I followed his tweets correctly, he was having some bad boot issues that were solved within the last month or two when he was fitted for new ones (and maybe from a different manufacturer.)

29. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

It's amazing that with the lack of depth that the Canadian men has 3 spots at Worlds.

30. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Definitely luck plays a role here - Gachinski, Voronov, Rippon, van der Perren, and Verner all underperformed. If it's any consolation, Canada tends to lose three spots every time it has three (2011, 2009, 2007) so we'll probably lose them here.