Canadian Men other than Chan

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by mag, May 24, 2012.

1. mag

mag Well-Known Member

There seems to be a secondary discussion happening in the GP Selection thread about the Canadian men. More specifically, which men, other than Chan, will be the front runners for World 2012 and Sochi.

It has been suggested that five are the front runners. What do you all think?

Kevin Reynolds - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEQ2BlB_EK8

Jeremy Ten - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb5cWahmJZA

E Balde - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=NbtzDJ8XUbw (Skate Canada, prior to coaching change?)

Andrei Rogozine - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H2qbRZNAP4

Liam Firus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKDTuXGoHfg

2. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Reynolds, obviously, because he's been the top guy out of those five since Vancouver.

I would agree with the other choices. I can't think of anyone else who might surpass either of the other four by Sochi. I have a feeling Rogozine might be Guy #3 on the Canadian team in 2014. Balde's rather unrefined, and I don't think Ten and Firus are strong/consistent enough jumpers. Ten especially has struggled with inconsistency. I know he had an injury though.

3. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Firus looked great in Brisbane last year.

He has a very smooth style similar to Browning and Chan.

4. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

This thread makes me miss Shawn Sawyer. He wuzrobbed of a spot for Vancouver and if he kept up his improvement on the lutz and axel he could very well make Sochi too. :(

ioana and (deleted member) like this.
  5. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Yes, I like the way he moves. His choreography is also very good. I think he needs to project a bit more to the audience, but I think that will come with a bit more senior experience. I'm not sure who he is working with in Colorado, but I hope it is Christy Krall and she able to help him get the axel and maybe a quad under control.

6. icellist

icellist Member

I love Shawn Sawyer and Jeremy Ten, how they can merge performance into their programs! Don't forget Emmanuel Sandhu! Is he coming back?

7. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

I love Jeremy Ten, he's so pretty out there. He needs to get his jumps in order, no doubt, but he could definitely hold his own once he does. I think it's impressive what he managed to do after an injury!

Reynolds is a lot of fun to watch as well. I liked his SP last season.

8. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I would bet good money that Sandhu is not coming back. He was registered for BC/YT Sections last fall and withdrew. I believe he is skating in some shows, and I don't think competition is his focus.

9. fsfan22

fsfan22 Member

Kevin Reynolds - as long as he stays healthy and continues to improve on his artistry, he's a lock for the #2 spot in Sochi

Jeremy Ten - great style and line ... coming back from a series of injuries is tough, and once his jumps are better trained and more consistent, he may be a contender for a spot in Sochi (if there is a 3rd spot). He always has a strong support from Skate Canada, even with less-than-stellar performances (i.e. this years' Nationals). Needs to get a consistent 3 axel for sure!

E Balde - great presence, but I find his style a bit sloppy. Training in Detroit immersed in a competitive environment is a huge step in the right direction. With a bit more international experience, I can see him doing well and possibly making it to Worlds/Sochi.

Andrei Rogozine - really struggling to make a name for himself on the Senior stage, but definitely has the arsenal of jumps to be competitive. I don't like his style at all ... definitely needs some refinement.

Liam Firus - very similar to Chan in terms of style, speed, carriage and overall skating skills ... lacks the technical difficulty needed to be competitive currently.

There's also Nam Nguyen, who I believe will be age eligible for 2014. It's hard to say at this point what he is capable of in the future, but what he's got going for him now at the age of 13 is extraordinary.

10. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Right now, Reynolds is as close to a lock as can be, unless one of the other guys shows some drastic improvement (which is not impossible). Over the past couple of years, Kevin has been getting better. I admire how hard he's been working.

I'm not convinced Ten is the real deal. Beautiful skater, yes, but he's wildly inconsistent and was even before his injury, which doesn't give me confidence he'll ever find consistency. IMHO, he's a longshot for Sochi.

Balde is interesting... he has the goods and is a real showman. I think he could be the third man (or even the second) if the coaching change works out. Huge potential.

I like Rogozine. I posted in another thread that although he's unrefined, with good programs and solid coaching, he could pull it together.

Firus is the dark horse. His jumps are consistent and beautiful, and his skating skills are superb, but he really needs to up the difficulty to have any real shot at advancing. Definitely possible for the long-term, but I don't see him being a factor into 2014.

Fsfan22, I like Nguyen too. He is extraordinary but a lot will depend on how much he grows and how much his body changes.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Nam's parents are quite small so I don't see a huge growth spurt in his future. He will get bigger, but he will still be small. I can't remember when his birthday is, but if he is only 13 then he won't be old enough. I think he may have turned 14 this spring which means he will be 15 by July 1, 2013.

I suspect his goals are more towards 2018, but Mitchell Gordon, the reigning Jr. Men's champ is also a beautiful skater. I know he lands up to 3 lutz but I'm not sure where he is on a 3A or a quad.

12. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Glad to see this thread, the topic was getting lost in the GP thread.

I won't repeat my preference for Canada's #3. Let's just say he has a very short step to take to arrive on the podium at 2013 Nats.

13. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

:cheer2:

Mitchell Gordon has fabulous basics and was outstanding at nationals in Moncton. He reminds me a lot of Liam Firus. I believe he's only 15, so he has time to add on some difficulty.

14. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I agree.

15. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

17. mag

mag Well-Known Member

And I love the reaction of his coach.

18. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I wish he would come back to competition lol. I also wish worlds hadn't had to be postponed last year so he could have competed in worlds and done CSOI.

19. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

I am sooo impressed. What a lovely skate. Excited to see him develop the 3A (will we see it this year, wonder?)

20. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

Yes. in Moncton I was sitting in the row right behind the coaches. Keegan and his mother were beside themselves when Mitchell skated so well. When it was announced that Mitchell had won gold I thought Keegan would launch himself onto the ice. I tried to take a photo but he just wouldn't keep still!

It was wonderful to see such enthusiasm in a skater, and his team, at the beginning of his career. I wish every good thing for Mitchell in the future.

21. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I so hope Jeremy Ten remains healthy/injury-free. He's a treasure! :respec:

The BC/YT SummerSkate is happening this weekend at Burnaby's 8 Rinks. Apparently Emmanuel is not on the list of skaters. So I refuse to go! :mad:

22. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:cheer: Looking forward to their skates. They all have something to offer and if keep improving and overcome their weakness (if any), they have a chance to podium. Go Canadian guys go!
    Will be keeping an eye on the upcoming young cuties ... Nam, Liam and Andrei. :)

23. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Some videos from BC SummerSkate this past weekend...

Kevin Reynolds' 1st place SP (last season's music; his 4Lo was called underrotated <): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24760983
    Kevin Reynolds' 1st place FS (choreographed by Kenji Miyamoto): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24786867
    Jeremy Ten's 2nd place FS (last season's music to Il Postino soundtrack): http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24786600
    Liam Firus' 2nd place SP: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24760537

Mitchell Gordon's Junior SP: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24759572
    Mitchell Gordon's Junior FS: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24785878
    He is assigned to JGP #3 in Linz, Austria - ETA link to his ISU bio with updated program music (explains his blue jeans in his FS ;)): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00013689.htm

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

According to the protocols from BC Summerskate, Mitchell did a 2A in the SP and a 3A in the FS, where he had a faulty landing, and netted -.33 in GOE, not bad for an early season attempt in competition. I haven't been following his skating, but it sounds like from other post that this might have been his first.

25. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I believe it was his first attempt in competition. It seems like a smart move to try it out in the FS where a fall isn't as costly. It will be interesting to see if he replaces the 2A in short by Nationals. I'm assuming because he is the reigning Jr. National Champ that he will have to skate Senior this year at Nationals. I wonder how he will stack up against Firus and Nam? Firus and Mitchell have similar styles but it looks like Mitchell is slightly ahead in the 3A department. I'm fairly sure he will be gunning for a Jr. Worlds spot this year.

26. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Mitchell's speed and height on jumps looks pretty great. I'm definitely piqued.

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I think that's why Mitchell got two 0's and two -1's on the 3A: the height compensated enough for the landing that he lost less than half a point on the 8.5 base.

28. mag

mag Well-Known Member

He is also quite young. Entering grade 11 I believe, so he has a bit of time to get that 3A consistent and work on a quad.

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

He's going to be a very handsome dude when he's older, too.

30. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Just bumping this thread up to say that Mitchell placed first at the BC/YT Sectionals last weekend ahead of Jeremy Ten. Ten won the short but Mitchell came back strong in the long landing the only 3A of the night. Ten popped his first attempt and fell on his second. Rumor has it that Mitchell also landed a fabulous 3A on his first try at an earlier practice. It will be interesting to see how he performs at Challenge and whether or not the 3A goes into his short by Nationals.