Canadian Men 2010- Top 5

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Aug 17, 2010.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Assuming Chan, Reynolds, and Sawyer are in there somewhere, who else will crack the top 5 at Nationals?
  2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Probably Joey Russell and Jeremy Ten.
  3. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Russell and Ten. It won't let me vote because I'm not a premium member or w/e.
  4. maclou

maclou Member

I cheated, I couldn't make up my mind and voted for three :lol: : Ten, Russell and Rogozine.
  5. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I've got the same problem. But non-premium are allowed to vote on polls.

:confused:
  6. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I voted for Andrei Rogozine and Eladj Baldé - assuming that Eladj really is over his injury and just needs more training time to get back to previous form.

I wish I could vote for Ian Martinez, because I love his skating, but I'm not sure he has the mental toughness necessary in what will probably be a very tight competition for spots four and five.
  7. venja

venja New Member

I'm pretty excited for men's skating this year because some of the 'new blood' looks promising. As geoskate said about Eladj (although not new) I hope that he gets over the injury and makes a strong comeback, and Andrei looks like he has the goods to be a great skater. Joey seems to developing verrrrrrrrry slowly, but at least he seems to be on the right path. On the flip side, I hope that Jeremy Ten doesn't implode like he did last season.

For sentimental issues I don't mind Ian or Marc Andre (go old dudes!). The only one I don't really remember is Samuel Morais, although from the footage I saw I don't think that he's at the same level as the others on the list. Otherwise, I'm totally okay with anyone on the list to make the top 5.

I don't think that Sawyer is a lock as Chan and Reynolds are, so I'd say that whoever lands jumps (especially the 3A) they'll have a great chance at the three remaining spots.

How many spots for worlds do we have for next year's worlds?
  8. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I cannot vote! :drama:

Anyway, I would say Rogozine and either Russell or Ten. I haven't seen Jeremy yet this year, but last year's season was very poor. He is a better skater than Joey Russell, but not if he falls apart.
  9. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Yea, there's something strange happening with this poll. I was able to vote, but then it took me into another thread entirely directly after I voted. hmmm
  10. kppt

kppt New Member

Rogozine

I couldn't vote as well, but he skated great at Thornhill on the weekend. Two 3A's in the long with back spread eagle as take off. I would like to see him change the second one into a different difficult entry but they were impressive. He is on fire! Let's see if he can maintain this level until January:)
  11. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Chan finished second, Reynolds eleventh, so that's three spots, isn't it?
  12. blue_idealist

That's right
  13. bookworm

bookworm New Member

I would say Jeremy Ten if the vote worked for me (which it didn't).
  14. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

Jeremy Ten had a jammed big toe on his picking foot all last season. It developed when he was working on a quad. That's why he skated so poorly throughout the season. He is now 100% fully healed and pain free, and he has all of his triples back, although they're not quite as consistent as he would like them to be.

So I picked Jeremy Ten and the amazing Andrei Rogozine.
  15. venja

venja New Member

Dragonlady, it's good to know what happened to Jeremy Ten. I am kinda excited to see that it'll be very competitive for the third spot! Anyone know how Reynolds is progressing? Or Joey Russell?
  16. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Yeah - but aren't the new rules now that 2 qualify and the 3rd has to compete to qualify?
  17. blue_idealist

I didn't know about that :(
  18. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Rogozine caught my eye at Nationals in London. A lot of potential there. He reminded me a bit of a very young Ilia Kulik, especially with that spread eagle entry into the 3A.
  19. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

I know that Jeremy never publically made excuses for his poor showing last year even though all of his pick jumps just went to hell in a handbasket and he spent the whole season in pain. Not quite what he had hoped for in an Olympic year.

Don't know about Reynolds, but Joey Russell looked about the same as past years - under-rotated and fell on his 3A attempts in both the SP and the LP. I really haven't seen much progress in his skating at all since he won Junior Men's in 2006.
  20. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Don't know. I'm pretty sure I read/heard that Canada, US, and Japan each have 3 spots in the men's event.
  21. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Won't let me vote (??), but I'll say Russell and Ten. I like Martinez the best, though.
  22. blue_idealist

Maybe that's why Shawn Sawyer is entered in one GP event this fall. He might have just wanted to take the fall off competition, but he had to compete in a GP to make the score if he does come top 3 at Nationals..??
  23. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Russel. But I really hope Sawyer will be on worlds team now that Chipeur retired.
  24. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Canada has two direct entries into the World Championships in 2011 (meaning they advance directly to the SP). The third man (i.e., ranked #3 by ISU World Standings) must qualify to the SP through the qualifying round.

The U.S. has three direct entries to the SP, and Japan has two direct entries and one man who must skate the QR.
  25. JerseySlore

Would TPTB decide the third man by rank at Nats or ISU ranking?
  26. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

By ISU ranking. For example, if Canada sends Chan, Reynolds and Ten to Worlds, Ten is the one who would have to skate the QR because he's ranked lowest by the ISU of the three men.
  27. JerseySlore

Thank you! I've put off reading the new rulebook. I should probably check it out.
  28. blue_idealist

Good to see Shawn at #27 :)

Yes I only care about Shawn lol jk (sort of)
  29. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Thanks Chipso1! That is what I thought I had read!
  30. venja

venja New Member

With all of this Yuna Kim stuff going on I'm pretty much put off from ladies skating (is Joannie even skating the Grand Prix?). I can't even remember who I would cheer for in the ladies discipline. As for the men I'm excited that I can say that it goes deeper from an international level of lots of men fighting for the podium to the national level to see who the number 3 spot would go to.

Whoever the third person is, I really hope that they make it past the qualification round at worlds...