Canadian ladies über thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by danafan, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Apologies for not being up to speed, but has the Canadian Team for Sochi been announced yet?

2. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Yes (they went with the podium finishers)

Men: Chan, Reynolds, Firus
    Ladies: Osmond, Daleman
    Pairs: Duhamel/Radford, Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, Lawrence/Sweigers
    Dance: Virtue/Moir, Weaver/Poje, Paul/Islam

3. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Thanks. :D

Much less drama up north.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  4. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Yes, well, SC made it clear to V&M, MT&M, W&P, D&R, Chan, and Osmond, that they were going regardless of the outcome at Nationals. IMHO this is the best way to do things. It takes the pressure off and everyone knows what they are fighting for.

5. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Re junior and senior: Sakoto Miyahara skated senior Grand Prix this season and she's been assigned to 4CC and jr worlds.

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I just watched Osmond's and Daleman's programs from Nationals for the first time. Boy, is it ever nice to see a couple of our young ladies who can jump! I have no predictions for the Olympics or Worlds, and certainly wouldn't want to be part of a jinx on them, but if they can bring that quality to those events, there will be nothing to be ashamed of! Nice!

7. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

^I agree. The Lesley gawker days are over :drama:

I want to see Daleman try quad toe, girl has got power legs! :eek:

8. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

Just curious, but are you sure about Osmond? Rod Black said on the broadcast 9 athletes were told in advance and his list did not include Osmond. I would think that under "normal" circumstances the list would have included both Osmond and Reynolds, but since neither had competed in an A event this year they had to show that they are ready at Canadians first.

9. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

I remember that part of the broadcast and you are correct, he did not name Osmond.

10. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I may be wrong about Osmond. I was going from memory based on watching the broadcast. Originally I didn't think he mentioned Osmond but dd was sure he had.

11. danafan

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I was so thrilled watching our Canadian women compete this past weekend. Kudos to KO for putting it down when it counted, ditto to Daleman. Felt bad for Lacoste, especially since she had such a great short. Once she made that mistake in her free, if felt like the air kind of went out of her sails. She tried to fight back but it just didn't seem to be there for her. I think the tears in her eyes at the end of her skate in the gala told us all how she felt.

13. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on the junior worlds team now that the junior ladies' event is over? I'd go for Chartrand and Seguin.

14. fan

fan Well-Known Member

ditto. can seguin do double duty though, as she'll likely be assigned in pairs (pending the success of the pairs FS)

15. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Seguin has been doing double duty during the GPF as well but I think she should concentrate on one going forward. Few Skaters can be like Kristy Yamaguchi who was 5th and 4th in the two disciplines at the World Championships.

16. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I wondered about Rod's math. I'm sure Osmond would have a 'go' in advance given that she's solely responsible for two spots. I didn't hear him mention MTM, so Reynolds might have been the 9th. That might account for the lack of nervousness from him or Osmond in their performances.

17. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

No I thnk the 9th was MT/M - fourth in the world should have a bye.
    Osmond was injured so they would want to see what she could do though I am sure that they have followed her very closely in the last few months.

18. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I went back to the PVR, it was MTM (they also showed a photo of them) not Reynolds or Osmond.

19. sk8hrd

sk8hrd Member

I agree as well. It states clearly in the SC Athlete Selection Procedure that the Olympic Team on the following criteria (in no particular order of importance):
    • Medalist at the 2011, 2012, 2013 ISU World Figure Skating Championships.
    • Placement at the 2014 Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships.
    • Top 10 placement at the 2012 and/or 2013 ISU World Figure Skating Championships.
    MT/M placed 4th
    • Top 6 placement at the 2012 and/or 2013 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships.
    MT/M placed 2nd
    • Qualifying for the 2011, 2012 and/or 2013 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final and/or the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final. MT/M qualified

It also states that:
    Pre-Selection Consideration:
    Athletes/teams in each discipline who have a top five placement at the 2012 and/or 2013 ISU World Figure Skating Championships (again MT/M placed 4th) and show competitive readiness through participation in the 2013/2014 ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating events, may be selected to the Olympic Team by the HPDC prior to the 2014 Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships.

20. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Just finished watching rv5's vids. So happy that Osmond has healed well. Always love her air of vivaciousness.
    And Gabby, she's a fighter and so strong in jumps. A fiesty lady. These two gorgeoous ladies are gong to nudge each other in excellence. Go girls.
    Happy that Lacoste skated a beautiful SP and won a medal. She has achievements and if she retires from figure skating, she should be able to look back with pride.
    All the the best to the Canadian ladies. I will be rooting for you from my computer screen.:)

puglover and (deleted member) like this.
  21. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I'd send Chartrand and Seguin also.

She has been doing double duty at JGP events, and doing it well. I think she could handle junior worlds in two events with no problem.

However, here's another consideration: IMO placement in Junior Worlds is far more important in the women's event than in pairs. It's really important for Canada to maximize the number of women's spots on the JGP next season, because there are a lot of potentially worthy candidates for JGP assignments. In pairs, on the other hand, there are very few age-eligible teams that would do well on the JGP, so placement in pairs isn't all that important (except for personal satisfaction for Seguin/Bilodeau). I think that Canada needs a backstop to Chartrand, just in case she doesn't skate well, and Julianne is the strongest candidate for that IMO.

22. kalamalka

kalamalka Active Member

Placement at JW is far less important for pairs than for the other disciplines regardless of the number of teams available for assignment in Canada - because there's such a huge difference in the number of available assignments based on JW placement for singles vs pairs. In pairs, the top four countries from JW get 3 slots at each of the JGPs with pairs (15 places total this season), whereas any other country that has a pair making the free skate gets 2 (10 total) - and even countries that earn the maximum entries may not use them (like Canada this season). OTOH, for singles and dance, only the top 3 countries get 2 slots per event (14), while nobody else - unless they host- has more than 7 slots of initial assignments available. The main difference that JW placements make for pairs is therefore in the number of entries for the following year's JWs.

23. fan

fan Well-Known Member

do you need a minimum score for jr worlds?

24. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

yes

25. geoskate

It's 20 points for the short program, 35 points for the long program - not that difficult to do if the skaters do in international competition what they do locally. For example, about half the skaters in the junior womens event were higher than that threshold in the short program at Canadian nationals. (The technical mark tends to be less inflated than the PCS scores at nationals, unless the judges really start handing out positive GOEs, so that's quite a fair comparison).

Unfortunately, nerves gets to some of the skaters when they skate internationally, so they don't reach the minimum.

The following junior skaters have met the minimum: Gabrielle Daleman, Alaine Chartrand, Julianne Seguin, Madelyn Dunley, Julianne DeLaurier, Larkyn Austman, Sandrine Martin

Marianne Rioux-Ouellet has only met the minimum for the long program, I believe. Roxanne Cournayer and Kelsey Wong have also not met the minimum.

I think those are the only junior skaters that had international assignments this season.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  26. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Seguin is going to Jr. Worlds in pairs apparently according to this: Charlie Bilodeau et Julianne Séguin aux Mondiaux juniors. No mention of her competing in the women’s event however.

Reading over the Skate Canada criteria for assignment to Jr. Worlds, the athletes for the team were nominated after Nats, but the assignment list hasn’t been updated with the names of the competitors yet. Wonder what the hold up is?

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  27. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Seguin's club, Centre Jeunes Performances Plus, announced on their Facebook page that she would be competing at worlds in both pairs and singles.

28. geoskate

Congratulations to Alaine Chartrand on a great long program at 4CC. She place 5th in the long program, and 7th overall.

Her long program scrore of 113.05 was her best long program score internationally by a long shot, and matches technically what she did at Octoberfest. In fact, she established ISU personal bests in all segments of the competitions (short, long and overall).

I think it's a breakthrough for her to be able to do internationally what she has done in smaller national competitions. This bodes well for her performance at Junior Worlds. (She must be going, but has this been confirmed?).

29. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

I'll happily second geoskate's post of congrats to Alaine Chartrand.

30. danafan

Chartrand is now the top Canadian on the ISU season best list: http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/sb2013-14/sbtslto.htm (Though of course Osmond doesn't have an ISU score yet). She's 28th which puts her in a very good position to get a non host pick on the Grand Prix next season.

Well done Alaine!