Canadian ladies über thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by danafan, Mar 18, 2013.

1. ichiro

ichiro Member

Great to see all these juniors popping up: Madelyn looks promising.

I love the improvements with Alaine. She looks like she's attacking her SP more. Let's hope she can eventually get those under-rotations under control.
  2. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Does anyone know if Dunley will skate jr or sr in Canada this year?
  3. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

danafan, I do believe she is planning to skate junior this year in Canada but of course, i could be wrong!
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

She skated junior at both of the summer competitions that I know of (Skate Detroit and Thornhill), which would probably suggest junior. That said, if it's not too late to change, she may want to consider senior if she continues to skate this well. In an article on Seguin/Bilodeau, Josee Picard mentioned that they would decide whether to skate junior or senior domestically after the JGP, so Dunley may have the option to move up?
  5. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I believe the deadlines for Sections have either passed or are coming up. Even if skaters have a bye through Sections, do they not have to at least register? It may be different for pairs who go straight through to Nationals, but I'm sure singles skaters will have declared by now. (The deadline for BC/YT I believe was last night.)
  6. danafan

Najarro will make a return to international competition at Coupe de Nice according to the Skate Canada assignments page!

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/athletes/internationalassignments.aspx

This will give her a bye through sectionals, which will make the eventual fourth place finisher at COS sectionals very happy as this is probably one of the hardest sections for senior ladies this year.
  7. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

That is great to see, not only because she gets an international assignment, but also because it's a further indication that Skate Canada is finally starting to use Senior B events as development tools rather than just using them as skateoff for the Skate Canada spots.

(Although they really should move it to the senior international part of the webpage, rather than under the Grand Prix Series part of the page).

Regarding Madelyn Dunley, IMO her presentation has improved substantially since last year. Last year she looked rather awkward to me; now she doesn't. Good work on her part.
  8. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

9. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

The Estonia JGP entries were updated today on the ISU site and the Canadian entries are now Daleman and Austman.
  10. ichiro

ichiro Member

dup post
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  11. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I guess Dunley must have been a placeholder. Even though I think that Dunley had a strong debut with a 6th place finish (same as Seguin who still has her second assignment), I am glad that Austman gets a chance to compete on the JGP. Austman's free program at nationals was so strong that I had thought it was a shame she wasn't getting an assignment...just wish it didn't come at the expense of Dunley getting more experience.

(Would it be too bitchy to point out if SC had used both spots in Latvia, we could have had Austman with an assignment and Dunley with two?)
  12. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

I just watched Dunley's LP from Minsk. She needs A LOT of work. She has a very stiff landing knee on her jumps and has no clue what to do with her arms/hands. Can't believe her PCS was higher than Chartrand's.:slinkaway
  13. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

I know her component scores might have been propped up a little bit higher because Nebelhorn had such a huge field, but 53+ TES in the long program for Veronik Mallet is a pretty high standard so early in the season (not to mention almost 160 combined score).
  14. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Boy I tell you, with Mallet's very respectable performance, if everyone is at their best come Canadian Nationals, we could be in for an absolute scorcher. Osmond, Daleman, Chartrand, Mallet, Lacoste, Seguin, and even to a lesser extent Najarro and DeSanctis, all battling for two spots to Sochi. Nothing is guaranteed and ice is slippery but I really have high hopes that everyone will bring their best for nationals. These girls really do have the capabilities, I just hope they can step it up and really show us that they can.
  15. danafan

16. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Sad about DeSanctis, but still tons of good skaters in the womens division.
  17. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Osmond, Daleman, Chartrand, Mallet, Lacoste

I am so psyched for these 5. Chartrand's skate in Minsk was respectable and just when I thought perhaps she could challenge for a medal, she fell on a freaking spin.

Hope Osmond recovers in time and the Lacoste's new coach works wonders for her harder triples.
  18. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Given the surprising amount of strength that the Canadian youth are demonstrating here, no, not at all.
  19. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

That's too bad. She didn't skate very well at Nats last year. Didn't she lose her funding? I can't remember if she was 6th or 7th. That might have something to do with it.
  20. hohoho

hohoho Member

Any updates on Osmond and her recovery? Did she skate in Regina last weekend?
  21. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Osmond tweeted today about being excited for Skate Canada and that she was training hard. Hopefully she's ready.

Maybe they'll have to send Joannie ;)
  22. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

No, she did not.
  23. danafan

24. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Great job by Austman!
  25. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

Nice! Great to see the junior ladies all doing well.
  26. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

If Gabby could move up to third in the FS she could still make the Grand Prix final.
  27. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

She doesn't seem to be a short program skater.
  28. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

She popped the second jump of her combination. The rest was fine.
  29. Corianna

Corianna Active Member

Chantelle was lovely.
  30. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Only if Oba (currently 2nd) or Sakhanovich (currently 4th) or Turzynbaeva (currently 6th) don't finish in the top 2. It's not impossible but it's a tough ask given that the first two ladies I mentioned are already ahead of Gabrielle & have higher PBs.

Austman was a nice surprise. Needs to work on her speed & power, but it was a nice debut. The Canadian ladies have improved out of nowhere!
  31. honey

honey Member

She has beautiful jumps! Does she have a flip or lutz? I remember a nice 2a-3t at nationals last year.
  32. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Finally got around to watching Dunley's LP and agree that it was pretty rough. Her SP was much better and seemed to hide her weaknesses more. I was surprised to see that she has only one choreographer because the two programs were so different that I thought she must have had a different one for the short.

Austman had a dominant win in Jr. Ladies at Canadians, so I'm not totally surprised, but she didn't skate well at her one summer competition so I'm pleased to see she's back to form. I agree on the speed and power (and I would also add posture) but I love her sense of style and maturity on the ice. It's hard to believe she's actually younger than Daleman and actually too young to go to the Olympics this year (not that I expect her to challenge for a spot at this point but it does put her age into perspective).
  33. geoskate

34. geoskate

This deserves to be bumped up to note Alaine Chartrand's seven-triple, 117 point free skate at Octoberfest, as danafan pointed out in the Canadian competitions thread in Kiss and Cry. Results are here.

Another skater who did very well was Eri Nishimura, with a 148.63-point total score. She's been building through the season, with a good performance at Isabelle Henderson, and this was an improvement on that. I think she's now reached the point where she could challenge for top 5 at Canadians if one of the favourites falters.

Two skaters I will continue to watch with interest are Rachel Greben and Giouzelin Mutlu. Neither one of them had particularly good skates, but they both were trying multiple triples including the lutz and flip. If the jumps ever come together for them, they will become a factor in Canadian ladies.
  35. kylet3

kylet3 Well-Known Member

Chartrand really is just working bit-by-bit, and improving steadily with each competition. Yesterday proves she's really in it to make it to Sochi. It's exciting to see all these young girls really go for it and actually want it. I maintain her, Daleman, Seguin, Mallet (Deserves mention after solid Nebelhorn skates) and possibly Lacoste are really going to be fighting for that second spot. I'm really hoping this time it comes down to who skates their absolute best and not who's the least nervous. It could make for the best night of ladies skating in Canada since that magical night in 2004 where I was in the front row and witness to multiple 5-6 triple jump performances at nationals, and Cynthia Phaneuf came out of nowhere to win. Though the top 3 last year were pretty darn good!
  36. googooeyes

googooeyes New Member

I totally agree with you Kylet3. I even think that there is a chance that Osmond could be beaten for the top spot at Canadians. It all comes down to what happens on the day. A lot depends on who goes clean in the short. It's delicious! And these are Canadian ladies we are talking about!
  37. hohoho

hohoho Member

Osmond looked solid in practice this morning in Saint John. 3lz, 3f, 3t+3t, 2a+3t. She did a LP run through. Did some jumps but mainly spotting the program. No comparison to Wild Rose competition choreography. Seems like she spent alot of time on fixing it up.

I think it was one of the first times I saw Lacoste actually smiling on the ice. She seems relaxed. Have to wait for competition time. Really need to fix the hair color.

Mallet seemed like there may be a few nerves there. Didn't really follow her much. Osmond stole the show for the Canadians.
  38. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Thanks, hohoho. I missed seeing Osmond...and am glad to see she had a good practice, same for Lacoste.
  39. spikydurian

spikydurian New Member

I didn't see Veronika and Emelie skate but managed to watch Kaetlyn. Her practice looks good, Claire.
  40. danafan

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.