Canadian ladies über thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by danafan, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

If Daleman opts to go back to the JGP, I hope Mallet does get the SC slot. At a minimum, I think she's proved herself worth of a Senior B, as beating the 6th and 7th ranked US skaters in the free at Liberty is not a small feat, even if it is early in the season. And while the short and free at Liberty are two separate events, adding her two scores together gets her over the benchmark of 140 that Skate Canada has in its criteria for Senior B assignments.

2. PRlady

PRlady aspiring tri-national

I saw her free skate yesterday at Liberty and she did a very credible job. Someone else probably has her score and jumps, but I thought she looked mature and confident. Corneyer (sp?) was OK, too.

ETA: She came in second, beating Cesario and Siraj, with a score of 92. Good for Mallet!

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Relevant excerpt from the Liberty Senior Ladies FS recap article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130720&content_id=54232690&vkey=ice_news
    There's also a photo of Mallet with her coach in this Liberty backstage gallery: http://web.icenetwork.com/photos/gallery.jsp?content_id=54244952

Barabé brought a BIG group of ladies, Novice to Senior level, to Liberty this year and another standout was Sandrine Martin, who qualified for and won the Junior Ladies SP Final (landed 3T+2T, 3Lo, 2A; scored 46.55) and she also was 2nd (84.07) in the Junior Ladies FS Final.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  4. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia! That's a great picture of Mallet - she looks gorgeous!

Good to hear that about Martin - those scores added together means she has met Skate Canada's standard of 125 for the JGP and having a triple loop in the short should mean she would be reasonably competitive on the JGP.

I hope Skate Canada will start using up its ladies slots, because it would be a shame to not use the spots after Daleman earned them with her strong showing at Jr. Worlds. Based solely on Nationals, I can think of at least 5 ladies who deserve a JGP assignment (Chartrand, Seguin, Austman, Dunley, and Steward) plus potentially Daleman if she doesn't do the SGP. Martin's showing at Liberty puts her in the mix and who knows what other surprises might show up at other summer competitions. If all of the ladies listed above had two assignments, that fills up all 14 assignments (12 if Daleman goes senior) or if there are other ladies with strong summer competitions, SC could give some of them only one assignment to spread the wealth. I could see leaving slots empty if the level of talent wasn't there, but I don't think that's the case here.

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Relevant excerpt from the second Liberty competition recap article that was published on Icenetwork yesterday:

6. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

I can't imagine anyone other than Gabrielle Daleman getting the Skate Canada TBA. She skated a great short at Skate Detroit, scoring 57.something with a 3lutz 3toe combo

7. hohoho

hohoho Member

I think Mallet will get TBA because it would e more advantageous for Daleman to do JGP for ranking points and she would hae a chance at Final. Also Canada has 14 slots that can be filled and I don't think they ave that many girls. Mallet can't do JGP

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. danafan

I disagree. I think Daleman is ready for the senior Grand Prix and she doesn't have a good triple loop, which is the junio solo jump this year.
    We'll see what Skate Canada decides to do.

9. danafan

I disagree. I think Daleman is ready for the senior Grand Prix and she doesn't have a good triple loop, which is the junio solo jump this year.
    We'll see what Skate Canada decides to do.

10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I see no reason holding Daleman or Chartrand back at JGPs. They both had respectable placements at Jr Worlds against the Russian, US and Japanese girls and are both age-eligible for Sochi (I believe) and are much more promising than Lacoste will ever be in this and future seasons. I say send them to senior Bs and GPs - at least Daleman.

11. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

It's not holding the skaters back when they just don't have the invites. But I agree that Daleman should get the Skate Canada TBA, especially without a triple loop. Combining that with 1 or 2 Senior B events will still get her on track re ranking points and there is always the possibility of picking up another GP (didn't happen for Osmond last year but I think Daleman is higher up on the alternate list). I'd still like to see Mallet get a Senior B. Hopefully both spots at Salt Lake City are used this year.

In terms of JGP, I would also add novice champ Zoe Gong to the list I made above - she had a strong start at Skate Detroit with over 46 points in the SP.

12. hohoho

hohoho Member

Chartrand has already been assigned to JGP Latvia. I notice that Seguin skated Junior in Detroit, so she will be back on JGP. Haven't seen anything from Skate Canada for the Senior B's. Last year Osmond got Nebelhorn and Lacoste got US.

For Daleman, it was a great score in Detroit, but if she can get the SC TBA that maybe the only one she will get. With the return of Kim and Kostner to the SGP this year there are less opportunities and with it being an Olympic year, skaters will not want to miss. Daleman has the opportunity to do 2 JGP and possibly the Final if she can get the 3 Loop. And to throw Daleman into what is considered the toughest SGP event at Skate Canada.

13. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Yes, I think you're right. I took a look at the SB list and it looks like Daleman would be #13 on the alternate list and most of the skaters ahead of her have 0 GP assignments...in order for her to get into the top 5 and even have a chance at an invite, 8 skaters ahead of her would have to get two assignments each, so that means 16 withdrawals and I sure hope we don't see that kind of bloodbath this season. That said, I still think that the Skate Canada TBA plus 2 B assignments strategy could work for her even with a tough field at Skate Canada. It would be great for her to get experience in that type of field.

One other thought is that I feel like ranking points aren't quite as critical for whoever Canadian lady #2 in Sochi and Tokyo since any pressure for a good finish will likely be on Osmond. The other thing we saw with Osmond at Worlds this year is that when you hit the SP out of the park, an early start order resulting from a low World ranking doesn't really matter all that much.

14. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Kaetlyn was the exception to the early starting order and the great marks.
    Her SP was explosive and absolutely delightful. I was completely charmed. Her personality and presentation skills really excel and the choreo was excellent and surely suited her personality.

I cannot wait to see her current programs.

15. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

I was really impressed with Chartrand at Skate Detroit. IMO she should grab one SGP, she looks like she's fighting and wants to be at the Olympics (If they'll let her)

16. fan

fan Active Member

17. danafan

Very disappointing, especially with three reserves listed. I hope they will use two spots at future events and that they didn't give the rest away - for example, Japan now has a second spot at Riga instead of Canada :(

18. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Well this news just sucks -- lemons and big time. What on earth are they thinking? or are they thinking at all?

19. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

All three reserves have made the Skate Canada cutoff score for JGP assignments, and IMO are totally worthy of a JGP assignment, although they would likely not be medal contenders. It's very puzzling.

ETA: My understanding is that Canada is entitled to three pairs teams per JGP also, and they only used two here. In that case, perhaps it is more understandable, since there is a shortage of good junior pair teams at the moment. All of the qualified pair teams may end up getting an assignment even without using all the spots. I don't think the same can be said for the women.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  20. fan

fan Active Member

21. geoskate

Julianne Delaurier may have put her name on to the list for a possible assignment with her performance at Glacier Falls, where her combined score was 136.18 (short 51.41, long 84.77). That's a huge improvement on her Victoria Day skate of a two or three months back, where she did quite well in the short but completely fell apart in the long program.

What I have so far for JGP-eligible best scores is listed below, from this season only. Where the skaters skated two programs in a competition, I took the best score of the two. Corrections and additions are welcome):
    1. Gabrielle Daleman 161.95 (Skate Detroit, senior, combining short program and best of two long programs)
    2. Alaine Chartrand 150.13 (Skate Detroit, senior, again combining short program and best of two long programs)
    3. Julianne Seguin 148.71 (Skate Detroit, combining short program and best of two long programs)
    4. Julianne Delaurier 136.18 (Glacier Falls)
    5. Sandrine Martin 130.62 (Liberty, combining second short program and long from the final)
    6. Marika Steward 128.81 (Skate Detroit, senior, combining short program and long from the final)
    7. Marianne Rioux-Ouellet 125.79 (Skate Detroit, combining short program and long from the final).

All of these skaters have already met Skate Canada's 125-point cutoff for JGP consideration. Several other skaters are close, and could meet the criteria in upcoming competions in Quebec (Quebec Summer), Ontario (Thornhill) and B.C. (B.C. Summer Skate). This is also without considering skaters who met the criteria last season. Therefore I think Skate Canada has no excuse for leaving spots unfilled. By the end of the August competitions I'm sure there will be enough skaters of sufficient quality to justify a full use of the assignments.

Erin, alilou, danafan and 3 others like this.
  22. danafan

Thanks for compiling that!

While of course I think they should have used two spots at the first JGP, I can see why Skate Canada would want to wait for more summer competitions to see who is ready. So now that more skaters have competed and are meeting the criteria, there's really no excuse not to use future spots.

23. nadioso

nadioso Member

Good post geoskate. Marika Steward might have an inflated score (ie would not meet the score at the junior level ) if she has no triple loop say and did triple toe and salchow only in the senior short. Unfortunately , we have no protocols to properly adjust the senior scores. Other than that there is no doubt that all the others have met the scoring standard

SC also insists on triple-triple combos in the short as well. I hope SC is not using this clause to keep deserving skaters out who meet the scores but are missing the triple-triple combo. It is far more important if setting standards to meet the scores as that is what ultimately gives you a placement. I can understand minimum TES score in the standards ( as skaters must achieve TES minimums in international competition in order to compete in JW ). But not triple-triple where it is very possible to medal at a JGP without a triple-triple.

24. geoskate

Thanks for the comments. Nadioso's post made me go in search of the actual criteria used in selection criteria, which is here. (This information has been posted before on this board by other posters).

A triple-triple requirement at the junior level does seem excessive. If it's only a preference, then I suppose it's OK. The wording of the statement suggests that the minimum score is a requirement for consideration, but the actual technical elements are suggested but not required.

25. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Just so I understand ... We sent Amelie Lacoste and Cynthia Phaneuf to Worlds without a triple triple, but we want out junior skaters to have one before they can go on the JGP. Yep, that makes sense.
    I also don't think it makes sense for SC to wait for the results of summer competitions if it means losing spots at the first JGP. They can't get those spots back and the competition is often not as fierce. Decide at Nationals who gets the first one based on placements.

26. blueglass

blueglass New Member

It's possible that they're gun shy given our inability to bring a quality female skater to the top ranks. We've had some very good skaters who for one reason or another never reached their potential. I recall Tracy Wilson commenting that Joannie Rochette had everything she needed to be on the podium long before she actually made it. I still don't understand why it was always one step forward and one back. Maybe someone from Skate Canada would explain their process for selection.

27. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Thanks for compiling this list geoskate! Great to see so many strong skates by Canadian ladies. Unfortunately, the decision of how many spots to give up on the JGP was already made by Skate Canada, as they had to give numbers to the ISU by May 31 (see section 2.4 of the ISU Announcement). Very short-sighted of Skate Canada IMO, especially since the ladies are proving that they are capable of meeting the fairly stringent standards that Skate Canada has set, as least in terms of minimum scores.

Steward was attempting the triple loop last season in the free program and tried it in the short this weekend at Minto, so I would be surprised if she was only doing the toe and sal in the short. That said, she's looked very inconsistent in summer competitions (poor short at Minto, skated poorly in the first free program at Skate Detroit), and her score is one of the lowest that met the standard so she may be lower on the list of skaters to be sent, especially since not all of the spots are being used.

I think it's pretty clear in the document that a triple-triple is not required, but just that preference will be given to skaters who have it. I expect that the only skaters who get sent out and are attempting a triple-triple in the short are Chartrand and Daleman (if she does JGP and not senior). But it does seem kind of silly to list it as a preference item when there will be so few skaters that actually meet the standard.

ETA - nice to see that Seguin, Daleman, and Chartrand have all met the minimum score for a Senior B assignment. Depending on how it fits in with the JGP schedule, it would be good to get all three out to a Senior assignment for the experience. Given that Chartrand is competing both junior and senior in the same weekend at Minto, I'm guessing she would be able to handle the back and forth. It might be a bit much for Seguin if she is also doing pairs, though.

28. danafan

29. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Loving the excitement coming from this next generation of athletic young ladies!

30. geoskate

I like the choices for Mexico. Julianne skated strongly at Skate Detroit (46.53 in the short, 102.18 for the long, and 88.82 in the final), plus of course she was 6th in seniors at Canadians last season. Sandrine skated well at Liberty, and was consistently good in two short programs and two long programs there (first short 41.69, short final 46.55, first long 82.61, long final 84.07).

The alternates choices are also good IMO. Marianne Rioux-Ouellet skated well at Skate Detroit, with two good long programs in the initial competition (short 42.27, first long 77.90, final long 83.52). Roxanne Cournoyer hasn't met the 125-point hurdle this year, but she did so last year, and her skating at Liberty in the senior event was good (short 45.73, long 75.12).