Canadian ladies über thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by danafan, Mar 18, 2013.

1. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes, good for her. That was so nice to see. I hope she has a great LP, and can medal. It's certainly possible.:)

2. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

“@AlaineChartrand: So I'm leading after the short at Rostelecom Cup #what?! #cool :D

Good luck in the long! :)

4rkidz and Corianna like this.
  3. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Not a super great long for Alaine but love her. My new fav No American skater.

4. danafan

Sorry for being late to congratulate Alaine Chartrand :) I was out all day Saturday and didn't get to watch the ladies skate until much later that night. Needless to say I'm thrilled for her! Her long wasn't her best, but she sure fought for every jump and she put up a personal best! And she helped me get points in the official FSU predictions contest! (I predicted her to get third and I didn't jinx her!)

Here's a youtube of her long program: http://youtu.be/ia2NXMMOd1k?list=UUpmadplEROgHA_9m0Cse1Gg

puglover, clarie and 4rkidz like this.
  5. danafan

Cant Skate and papa like this.
  6. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Nepean skater takes bronze in Moscow
    (((Alaine))) Hopefully this medal will help build her confidence.

7. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

The Accordion likes this.
  8. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Sylvia will let us know if it has...

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Euros/4CC!

^^^ Nope, so thanks for posting, Claire! :)

Another Chartrand article that was published before Christmas: http://www.recorder.ca/2014/12/23/home-for-the-holidays-alaine-chartrand

Short local article on Gabrielle Daleman: http://www.yorkregion.com/news-stor...-daleman-one-to-watch-sets-really-high-goals/
    Oops! :p

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    clairecloutier likes this.
  10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Euros/4CC!

Osmond announced today she will not compete the rest of this season - news thread started in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...ond-out-for-rest-of-the-2014-15-season.94500/

Will it be Daleman or Chartrand (or ?) who steps up to claim their first national title?

ETA:

ISU Season Best total scores (top 4 received byes through Challenge):
    19) 172.00 Alaine CHARTRAND CAN ISU GP Rostelecom Cup 2014 15.11.2014
    28) 165.59 Gabrielle DALEMAN CAN Skate Canada Autumn Classic 2014 16.10.2014
    35) 158.99 Julianne SEGUIN CAN Skate Canada Autumn Classic 2014 16.10.2014
    74) 142.25 Veronik MALLET CAN ISU GP Skate Canada International 2014 01.11.2014
    83) 136.55 (JR) Kim DEGUISE LEVEILLEE CAN ISU JGP Czech Skate 2014 06.09.2014

Top 4 finishers at Challenge:
    Kim DeGuise Léveillée 142.44
    Roxanne Rheault 138.74
    Madelyn Dunley 136.62
    Michelle Long 135.20

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    cheerknithanson likes this.
  11. danafan

Based on how they have skated this season, I think Chartrand is the favourite for the title now. I hope everyone handles the pressure well, knowing that the title is up for grabs...

cheerknithanson likes this.
  12. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I think Chartrand has progressed more this year than Daleman has. Alaine has become more consistent and though she has a ways to go she has developed her PCS in ways that are more authentic to her. She also pulled low 7s in PCS internationally whereas Daleman is stuck in high 6's.

IMHO part of the reason for the power shift is the poor programming choices from Daleman's camp. While I admire the effort to develop artistry, the plan has backfired and instead the programs perfectly highlight Daleman's weaknesses. It's tough to turn a power skater into a Pwetty Pwincess as they say, and I don't think the judges are buying it. I'm certainly not.

Lastly, I wonder if the WD of KO will have an impact on Seguin's thought process on entering senior ladies singles?

13. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

I think Seguin should prioritize pairs since there are three spots available for Worlds versus the two in ladies singles. Seguin/Bilodeau will need to set their sights on Moore-Towers/Marinaro for that third spot.

I know that she's technically still age eligible for Junior Worlds, but competing in both Worlds may burn herself out.

algonquin likes this.
  14. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Only two open spots in pairs. D/R could be last at nationals and they would still be named to the team.
    But, I hear you.

15. sk8hrd

sk8hrd Member

Seguin has already withdrawn from the singles events as the Start Orders are possted.

The only thing Chartrand has become more consistent at is UR her jumps. At SLC in the SP: 3T<; in the FS: 3Fe, 2A+3T<, 3S< (fall). At SCI SP: 3T<; in the FS 3Fe<, 3Lo<, 2A+3T<, 3Lz<, 3S<<. Even at Rostelecum Cup SP: 3T< (IMHO, she should be still thanking the tech panel there); FS: 3Lz+1Lo<+3S<, 3Fe, 2A+3T<, 3Lo<+2T. How can you call someone who URs 4 to 5 jumps in their FS at every competition they went into as consistent. Also Chartrand only pulled low 7's in Russia against a very weak field and was the last skater. After Pogo's performance they had no choice but to give her 7's. Also we all know that we can't compare PCS marks from one competition to another as these marks tend to be given in the "moment" IMHO. Examing the her PCSs from the fall campetitions they were all in the low to mid 6's until the FS in Russia where she was the last skater (except the SP in Russia where she did get a 7.1 for interpretation) and she some how improved her skating overnight and achieved low 7's. Of course Chartrand's PCSs are going to be higher in Russia as the field there was the weakest of all the SGPs this year. Comparatively to such a weak field her PCSs will be marked up.

To bad you don't like Daleman. I think she has the potential to be one of Canada's greats if she keeps working hard. I have to give her and her camp credit for trying new things in the beginning of a new quad, rather than stay with the same program for a second year (as Chartrand has). She is only 16, has won silver twice at Nationals, placed 13th at Worlds last year, and went to the Olympics. All before she could even drive by herself.

Habs and Michelle like this.
  16. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I actually like Daleman a lot and agree with your assessment. I think she has much more long term potential. Her jumping technique needs some serious work as her upper body doesn't check the jump in tandem with her lower body...which makes her look like she's struggling to not overrotate.

While trying new things is definitely the way to go I recommend that stylists preach authenticity. Work with what the skater is vs grinding to turn her into something else. Much lower chance of success. See Bezic's interview on TSL and her admission of blowing it with Rochette in 2007. I will put money on us seeing something much different from Gabby for 2016 in the form of programs that make more sense to her. Lori's other project, Gracie Gold, will continue on the princess path. She can pull it off with more success being long limbed and a very Cinderella-like vision on the ice. Inside, though, you can just tell the real Gracie is just screaming to bust out of the ice queen packaging she's been given. Until she learns to really sell it her PCS will be capped.

So net net, I believe Gabby will be leading the way for the next Olympics. Will just be a very indirect path to getting there.

17. sk8hrd

sk8hrd Member

Yes I agree with your analysis here that Daleman will lead the way towards 2018, and also that this year her free program wasn't the vehicle to show case her strengths. Hopefully Lori or whoever can create a program for her next year that will show case this young girl's talents.

18. ichiro

ichiro Member

Can't wait to see who win's this years National title. I agree with everyone's assessment on both Gabbie and Alaine. I think Alaine right now is way better packaged, but those UR will continue to hurt her if not fixed. Where as Gabbie has so much raw power and talent. Just wished she went with a different choreographer/look on the ice. Lori's doing her no favours with this years program, ice princess. Just imagine what Mark Pilay, David W, or even Pasquale C could do with her.

Does anyone know where I can d/l TSL's Sandra interview part 2 from? Looks like the youtube video has been taken down by the IOC

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  19. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

http://www.theskatinglesson.com/sandra-bezic-interview-part-2/

20. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Euros/4CC!

^^^ That's the original video that has been blocked due to violating IOC copyright.

Alaine Chartrand article by Beverley Smith: http://www.skatecanada.ca/2015/01/kingston-to-feel-like-home-territory-for-alaine-chartrand/
    Excerpts:
    Chartrand was honored by her local community in Prescott after she returned home from Rostelecom Cup in Russia: http://www.insidebrockville.com/new...-skater-returns-home-after-triumph-in-russia/

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    geoskate likes this.
  21. sk8hrd

sk8hrd Member

Happy 17th Birthday Gabby Daleman!!!!:cheer2::biggrinbo

Here is what one of her fans did for her on twitter and youtube:
    Happy birthday @gabby_daleman!@icedancingdream and I made a little video for you! Hope you enjoy watching it!youtu.be/yz4qBYSCDmk

22. sk8hrd

sk8hrd Member

23. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

I will miss Kaetlyn this year but she's being smart to take the year off and get healthy again. I think Gabby and Alaine will be the ones who go to Worlds. We should still be able to secure two berths. The days where are women were scraping the bottom in any competition are over.

algonquin likes this.
  24. puglover

puglover Active Member

It may come down to who can take the pressure - Gabby or Alaine.

25. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I think it's Gabby's to win or lose. Her speed and attack are intoxicating. If they both skate perfectly I see Gabby winning by 5-10 points. The drama comes from her more high-risk style. I think her team is trying to dial that down a bit to breed more consistency. If she controls herself better, she'll pull it off.

I think Alaine is becoming more confident in the SP, falling less. If she can stay close after the short we'll have an awesome white-knuckle LP. I'll be there to watch!

alilou likes this.
  26. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Where on earth did you find those two smilies? A different 'cheer' and a dancing banana. Love it! They're not in with the usual collection. Do you have the code for them?

Thanks for the link to the article :)