Canadian ladies über thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by danafan, Mar 18, 2013.

1. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

It's so encouraging. Our top skaters are teenagers, but not girls, they're aged 16-19. So they're going to be around for a while, they're at the age where many women skaters seem to really peak. Why this sudden emergence? Well, in general it's a good time for Canadian figure skating, we have talented teenagers everywhere, and the women are no exception. It all started with Kaetlyn in 2012, we just have a boon of young talent.

2. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Chartrand finished third overall at Skate Detroit and actually fell attempting a triple axel in her free skate! There's no video unfortunately. I hope she, and the others, have a great season!

3. coppertop1

coppertop1 Active Member

It would be awesome to have our of our ladies do a triple axel! Chartrand is so talented, fifth at World's, I am thinking sooner rather than later we could send three ladies to world juniors maybe even have one on the podium.

4. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

5. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I love her "pluck" and positive attitude. I hope she manages to stay healthy and achieve her personal goals. She is an absolute pleasure to watch on the ice. Her smile is genuine. She's genuine.

6. hohoho

hohoho Active Member

7. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

What news of Kaetlyn's injury?

Its early in the season for Chartrand vs Daleman.
    Daleman is a gutsy jumper but Chartrand has a lovely flow to her skating.

8. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

Kaetlyn is back on the ice as of last week but was not jumping.

9. hohoho

hohoho Active Member

Can't Skate are you in Edmonton to see her? She was in Detroit a few weeks ago to work with Pasquale and then she was in Newfoundland for the birth of her nephew. Hopefully she is allowing any injury to heal completely instead of having issues all year.

10. danafan

Delaurier and Dunley are listed on the ISU entries for JGP Slovenia: http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028166.htm

Dunley is not listed on the Skate Canada international assignments page at this time though. However it's a good sign that Skate Canada didn't return the spot to the ISU, which I had feared.

Interesting that Selena Zhao, former US competitor who did very well at Skate Detroit last week-end representing a Quebec club, is listed as a reserve for this one.

I can't wait for the international season to begin!

11. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

:cheer2: Agreed! Interesting because I could swear that Kan and Taillefer/Chan also hadn't been listed on the Skate Canada page until recently and were just added, but perhaps Skate Canada is leaving the door open to change the name on Dunley's assignment. But considering that Dunley did surprisingly well on the JGP last year, I hope she gets to keep the assignment. (Of couse, it wouldn't shock me that it's just an oversight on the Skate Canada site either.)

Is anyone familiar with Sarah Tamura, the other alternate listed for Slovenia? I know she was novice champ last year but haven't seen her skate.

12. danafan

Dunley withdrew from both her summer competitions so far. Last year it took her a while to deliver at her summer competitions, but when she finally did well at Thornhill she was given a JGP where she actually outscored Chartrand in the short. Interestingly last year she was also listed for a second JGP, but was later switched for Austman.

Austman did not skate very well at Detroit. Hopefully she'll do better in France.

Hopefully Skate Canada will update their international assignments page soon too :)

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to JR Worlds in Tallinn!

Beverley Smith wrote about her and Megan Yim (too young for JGP this year) in May: http://skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/3510/language/en-US/Default.aspx
    Excerpt:
    ETA: Megan Yim had the second highest Jr. FS score at Skate Detroit this past week (94.85 in her qualifying group, 142.82 total) and followed up with 93.46 and 2nd place in the FS Final.

Sarah Tamura scored 121.13 (77.63 FS) to place 2nd in her Skate Detroit Jr. Ladies qualifying group and 6th in the Final (75.03).

Zhao had the highest Jr. Ladies FS score at Skate Detroit (98.46 to win her qualifying group with Yim 2nd) and finished 5th in the Final (84.29).

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  14. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

Glad you enjoyed the interview! I think Kaetlyn's just great. :) Between her, Daleman, Mallet, Najarro, Chartrand and a ton of others... next season is going to be very exciting I think.

15. danafan

I follow Najarro on twitter and all recent tweets and instagram shares are from out in Vancouver. And she's scheduled to do the BC Summer Skate this year and not Thornhill. Has she moved out there?

16. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Chartrands short program is TERRIBLE. I applaud trying to be different, but as a fan who is rooting for her, this program is a massive letdown and will not score very good PCS or be taken seriously.

Fortunately, word on the street is that she has another SP and trains both. I'm sure Skate Canada will urge her to soon switch to the other short.

17. honey

honey Active Member

I think the boots are worse than the actual choreography. She shows some musicality in this, but I agree it won't be taken seriously.

18. hohoho

hohoho Active Member

I think its the boots. Too much like a show number. I know she has used Jeffrey Buttle in the past, but this doesn't look like Buttle choreography.

19. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

Her costume is actually one that she has used in an exhibition for the past few years ... maybe she is still waiting for the actual version, I know last year she wore several different short program dresses in the summer/JGP only to settle on the pink one for Nationals & the rest of the season.

20. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I love her short program.

I think if she landed all her jumps in the short program, the judges would have no choice but to take it seriously.

21. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  22. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

23. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Word of mouth said that the program wasn't done by Buttle, but by someone lesser known. I have to check that out.

Maybe Buttle did her other short program?

24. geoskate

From Danafan's post:

Selena has now been moved from reserve to being assigned to the JGP Slovenia, according to the ISU listing (and also the Skate Canada site).

Dunley has been moved to the JGP Czech Republic. Assignments for that are Kim Deguise-Leveillee and Madelyn Dunley, with Grace Lin and Sarah Tamura as substitutes.

So skaters with assignments are:
    1. Roxanne Cournoyer (JGP France)
    2. Larkyn Austman (JGP France)
    3. Selena Zhao (JGP Slovenia)
    4. Julianne Delaurier (JGP Slovenia, alternate JGP France)
    5. Kim Deguise-Leveillee (JGP Czech Republic, alternate JGP France)
    6. Madelyn Dunley (JGP Czech Republic, alternate JGP France)

And skaters listed as alternates are
    1. Sarah Tamura (Alternate JGP Slovenia, Alternate Czech Republic)
    2. Grace Lin (Alternate JGP Czech Republic)

25. geoskate

My apologies to Sylvia. I didn't see that she had already posted the information about Selena Zhao in the JGP discussion forum.

26. danafan

Thanks for compiling that! Re: the part I bolded - I don't see the new assignments indicated on the Skate Canada athlete assignments page: http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/athletes/internationalassignments.aspx

Also does anyone have more info on Grace Lin? I see she finished 12th at novice in 2014. Has she had good summer results this year?

27. Sylvia

No apology needed - you are allowed to cross-post info in the public forums. :) Such as:
    ETA link to a recent Gabrielle Daleman article: http://www.goldenskate.com/2014/07/gabrielle-daleman/
    Excerpt:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  28. Zazy

Zazy Member

She's 13 and posted a good FS score at Skate Detroit. I think with full spots this year it's a good idea to send young promising skaters like her. She's inconsistent and probably wouldn't place very high but it's good experience for later.

29. Sylvia

Grace Lin scored 113.69 (37.09 SP, 76.60 FS) to place 3rd in her Junior Ladies qualifying group at Skate Detroit and 67.22 in the Final (9th of 12).

30. Zazy

Zazy Member