Canadian ladies über thread!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by danafan, Mar 18, 2013.

1. sk8hrd

sk8hrd Member

Nice profile of Gabby Daleman on the skate Canada website: Olympian Profile: Gabrielle Daleman

2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I saw Alexandra Najarro comment on Sotnikova's instagram (saying congrats and how she was so inspirational, which was so sweet and classy of her) and it made me wonder if she was still skating? I remember her having a decent junior career but later having some injuries...

3. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

How great were Gabby and Kaetlyn.
    So proud of them.

4. blueglass

blueglass New Member

She competed at Canadians this year and was seventh after the SP. I think she just missed being shown on TV. My impression of her, other than she's very striking looking on ice, is that she's just the other side of being a great skater. One breakout completion and she'd be in it to win it.

5. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Entries are posted for World Juniors.

The official entries are Alaine Chartrand and Julianne Seguin, with the alternates being Larkyn Austman, Julianne DeLaurier and Madelyn Dunley. Alaine and Julianne were the obvious choices, IMO, and the alternates also seem like reasonable choices to me.

6. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

Larkyn Austman (who was a late replacement for an injured Julianne Seguin) and Alaine Chartrand skated their short programs at junior worlds today. Austman had a turn between jumps on her combo (3sal 2toe), landed a great triple loop and touched down on the double axel with her hand. Still she qualified to skate the free in 18th place. Chartrand fell on her triple toe after her triple lutz, landed a very nice triple loop and stepped out of her double axel. Despite these errors she is in 7th place - I feel like the judges are just waiting to give her a huge score in the short if she could skate clean :( Her score today was a season's best.

Canada is in striking distance of keeping JGP spots for next year, but Chartrand would have to pass both American skaters ahead of her which seems unlikely but you never know. Still keeping two spots for next year's junior worlds and at least keeping one entry in each JGP next year would be good.

Here are the protocols: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wjc2014/wjc2014_JuniorLadies_SP_Scores.pdf

Chartrand was helped by having all level 4s in her non jump elements.

Good luck in the free skate ladies!

7. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Chartrand is a very beautiful skater. She has a softness and quality about her. She reminds me of Josee Chouinard, Hope she finds jump security as that would take her to next level.

8. danafan

Chartrand is actually my favourite Canadian skater. I think her jumps are getting bigger this year. She's getting more credit for rotations too.

9. Zazy

Zazy Member

She's close to being my favourite as well, mainly because she's the most musical. Kaetlyn and Gabby are great performers but they don't have her sensitivity for the music.

10. danafan

OMG I'm so excited! Alaine Chartrand skated lights out at jr worlds today and moved up to fifth place, thus keeping two spots for JGP next year for team Canada! She didn't beat her score from 4CC. She is currently 30th on the ISU season best list, and with several retirements pending, and non age eligible skaters ranked above her on that list I think she has a very good chance of a non host senior grand prix invite next year, so I certainly expect to see her on the senior grand prix next year. I'm so excited! She was the top North American skater at junior worlds.

Seven rotated triples!

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wjc2014/wjc2014_JuniorLadies_FS_Scores.pdf

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  11. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

^^^ Happy for Alaine and glad to hear that Canada keeps the two spots.:cheer:

12. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Here's Alaine Chartrand's FS to Dr. Zhivago :): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW50VrInRMM

13. Zazy

Zazy Member

Congrats to Alaine! Not quite the performance quality of 4CCs but even better technically.

After her free skate at nationals she was so disappointed she could hardly speak to the local reporter interviewing her. What a way to come back and finish the season on a strong note!

14. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
  15. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Fabulous news. FYI all four skaters train at 8 Rinks in Burnaby BC under Joanne McLeod.

16. kalamalka

kalamalka Member

Sarah, Megan and Eric are all just 12 (or were in January) , so good for them to be able to get some international experience.

17. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Sarah is older than Megan. Not sure where their birthdays fall, but I believe Sarah is eligible for the JGP in the fall, but Megan is not. Not sure about Eric.

18. danafan

Kaetlyn Osmond is 8th after the short program at worlds, nailing a triple flip triple toe for the first time in competition, did the 3lutz as her solo jump (with an edge call that she had otherwise avoided this year). Sadly she really blew her layback spin, getting almost no points for it. Still she's in a great position to match or improve last year's ranking!

Gabby Daleman is in 14th place, she was very happy with herself and got a season best. She did only a triple double, and she stepped out of the landing of the triple flip. Still she skated better than at the Olympics, and now she's sooo close to the top 12 and two guaranteed GP spots next year, which I'm sure is her aim!

Way to go Canadian ladies!!!!!!!!!!

19. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

I think the judges are willing to reward Gabby Daleman with high GOEs if and when she goes clean. She's been placing well already even with up and down performances.

20. sk8hrd

sk8hrd Member

I was watching the Ladies Short last night on the CBC and heard Carol Lane mention that Daleman had stress injuries in her legs while at Sochi and that is why they took out her 3Lz+3T in her programs. I did a quick search to see if I could find any more details and found this article: Olympian's grandparents travelled to Sochi from Parry Sound. Apparently she had a fracture in her foot while at the Olympics. Does anyone else have anymore info? I have emailed one of my friends back in the Toronto area to see if they know anything, but haven't heard back yet. Looks like she has recovered from it but WOW, competing on an injured foot like as well as your first major Senior International. Talk about stress, no pun intended.:eek:

21. sk8hrd

sk8hrd Member

Okay so here is the answer to my own post. My friend just emailed me back about the status of Daleman; her daughter trains at the same rink as Gabby. The word around the rink is that she apparently developed a pain in her right foot while training in Germany and the physiotherapist diagnosed it as a possible stress fracture. They think this could be due to the fact that that she broke the heel of her skate two practices after Nationals and had to get new skates. Fortunately they started treatment on her in Sochi right away with an ultra-sound machine that helps to stimulate bone repair. Then when she got back she had bone-scans to determine that it was not a fracture but a stress reaction like Katelyn had in September. Instead of taking time off Daleman’s team decided to adjust her training and programs to aim for a top 12 finish at worlds and that is why they took out the 3Lz+3T.
    My friend also told me what an athlete this girl truly is and what she has endured over the last two years. Apparently she had a strained quad at nationals this year which can be seen in this picture. Note the left quad in the picture. Also last season at her last JGP she pulled a groin muscle, which caused her to pull out of her sectionals and go through several weeks of physio as the injury caused numerous complications in her right leg, until Challenge. Then she also developed pneumonia over Christmas of 2012 and didn’t finish her medicine until the Monday before she skated and placed 2nd at her first Senior Nationals in 2013. No wonder she was crying at the end of her Freeskate (which caused me to start tearing as well then and again as I think about it now).

After reading that email I have even more respect for this little 16 year old girl who has accomplished so much for Canada and I will now be her biggest fan forever. Gabby I hope you have the best skate to-date of your young career tomorrow in Japan.

I hope the rest of Canada Cheers her on as well!!!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  22. bonmil

bonmil Member

Go Gabby Go... do your best.. we are already proud of you!

23. Zazy

Zazy Member

No wonder she was thrilled after her skate! I hope she doesn't injure herself further by trying to compete.

24. danafan

What a gutsy skate from Daleman considering. She just missed two guaranteed grand prix spots for next year. Hopefully she will still get invited, considering the number of retirements and non age eligible skaters ahead of her on the season best list.

Osmond had a rough free skate but thankfully Canada will keep two spots next year and Osmond guaranteed herself two grand prix spots.

Bring on next season!

25. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

ITA! :cheer2: Given that she's only 16, injured, and at her first Worlds, I would say finishing 13th is an fantastic result. Looking forward to seeing her next season. :) Hopefully Skate Canada will take her as a host pick for SCI.

26. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

I wonder how she fair with Orser as her coach. She needs a little bit of reining in and refinement.

27. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

I wonder how she fair with Orser as her coach. She needs a little bit of reining in and refinement.

ETA - Well done Kaetlyn and Gabby, 2 spots next a good way to start the next quad.

28. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I have been thinking this for a while.....
    Lori does her choreo so that's good. Her coach is also rogozines coach.

29. sk8hrd

sk8hrd Member

Yeah Gabby!!!!!:cheer2:
    correct me if I'm wrong but I think if a skater in the top 12 retires then the 13th spot will get 2 guaranteed spots.

30. danafan

Yes, I looked up last year's grand prix announcement document from the ISU, which reads:

If the same holds true this year, Daleman will get two automatic picks as Suzuki has already announced her retirement.