Canadian Ice Dance 2016-17 season news & updates

Moustaffask8r

Well, all is not lost even with these past retirements since there are several talented teams waiting in the wings that will likely step things up a great deal and come into their own during the next winter games cycle - Gilles/Poirier, Paul/Islam, Soucisse/Firus and whoever M. Bent is dancing with in 2019 for example, being some possible cream likely rising to the top and a few other team's presently cooking under the radar. Plus, don't completely count out a possible return in 2019 from Paradis/Ouellete just yet, 1 or both might decide to dance back in if Virtue/Moir or Weaver/Poje do decide to retire after this Oly cycle, anything is still possible once the 2022 games competitive landscape and one's own chances to fit into it and become funded becomes better known.
Are you saying they're taking a year off because they're surely not going to Olympic because of V/M return... That's not a very good competitive attitude!
P/O got money from different funding sources from what was said on FSU and were on SC carding list

Moustaffask8r

I remember about two seasons ago when Paradis and Oulette had their break through year at Skate America, Tracy Wilson mentioned that they had considered retiring the year before but the love of skating brought them back.
They are also not super young. They would have to hang in there for six years to make another Olympic cycle. And at least three if they were to likely make the Canadian team.
I'm guessing they decided their hearts just weren't in it for the long haul.
They didn't have a break through
Everyone skates so bad at Skate America that allow them to come 4! Then got a second assignment at Skate Canada. They're not really strong technically.
They're young but not that young! And not a lot of international experience if compare let's say to Paul Poirier!

Dobre

Are you assuming G/P will not be competing after 2018 or just written them off based on talent/performance/whatever?

We were just discussing them a bit. I don't think sadness with relation to the loss of Paradis & Ouellette is a reflection on Gilles & Poirier. One or two teams does not equal a deep program, which I think is more the concern.

They are also not super young. They would have to hang in there for six years to make another Olympic cycle.

Essentially, the same age as Gilles & Poirier and roughly a year younger than Paul & Islam. Not young, but certainly within reach of an Olympic games in dance. With quite an open field behind them. It seems the issue is likely more that they aren't prepared to commit the six years in a less-than-spectacular working relationship. In which case, they would likely not have made the commitment beyond two years even if they were currently ranked higher nationally/internationally.

chantilly

Yes they are all around the same age.
But what I was implying was that they would not make this Olympic cycle and would need to wait for the next.
Which as you said is six years.
P and I and G and P are IMO battling it out for a spot.
I really don't think P and O would have made it barring mistakes, or injuries.
They'd be about 28/30.
My point is that if they've already considered retiring, a six year commitment is a lot to bank on.
I never heard about any issues between them, but I don't stay on top of that stuff.

Susan M

I think people aren't talking much about G/P in the last few pages because they are still competing and will look like they will continue to do so till 2022.

Thanks to all who answered my questions. I see inserted the wrong quote and the top of my post. What triggered my question was really the "Who's left to follow when V/M and W/P retire after 2018 ???" sentiment.

I have thought for some time that Poirier was a special talent, but have to admit neither of his partnerships quite worked for me. Still, a new team has a lot to overcome and is bound to look more together each year.

Ice dance is really a funny discipline. There are some teams who arrive in seniors already final flight material, some who look pretty good to start then make slow, incremental progress to the top ranks, and others who look rather middling then show up the next season 100 times improved.

Last edited:

princeton123

I can't believe she's only 13. Their skating is so mature.

He's got a softness and agility you don't get from many male ice dancers, and she's just so unbelievably expressive - not just for her age, but period. She could give some senior girls a run for their money performance-wise.

That height difference is slightly concerning though. He probably won't grow much anymore, and she might keep growing given her age.

Last edited:

barbarafan

ITA.. Ted is singing their praises on the vids....how old does she have to be to switch to senior internationally...thinking of if/when the current leading seniors retire. He can only skate junior internationally for 2 yrs I believe but really I am not the expert on these rules. Her birthday is in Feb (2003 year of birth)and his was in June (1997 year of birth)

barbarafan

He's got a softness and agility you don't get from many male ice dancers, and she's just so unbelievably expressive - not just for her age, but period. She could give some senior girls a run for their money performance-wise.

That height difference is slightly concerning though. He probably won't grow much anymore, and she might keep growing given her age.

She looks like she is done but I have been wrong before,,I thought Jamie Knoblauch in pairs was done because looking at older pictures she had grown (maybe 6 to 8 inches ) at nationals but looking at pictures of her and her partner it looks like she has grown another 2 to 3 inches since january so who knows.

rinkside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hWZT2fyvkY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc0a2nm1-D8
this canadian jgp couple is great..ages 13 and 19 Alicia Fabri and claudio pietrantanio or close.
came in fourth ..russians 1st and 3rd and 2nd was a terrific usa couple Pomerenko etc.
I do not know if they have a second jgp but they should.
This is Alicia and Claudios only Jpg. Think they should have gotten two. Americans got 2nd in France. Hoping they will make the JGP finals.

princeton123

I don't know what Skate Canada's protocol is, but I'd probably let Fabbri/Pietrantonio have a second GP over say, Whitley/Graham, considering they a) have higher scores and b) age out much faster and need all the experience they can get.

nadioso

This is Alicia and Claudios only Jpg. Think they should have gotten two. Americans got 2nd in France. Hoping they will make the JGP finals.

They might still get a second JGP. They are listed as substitutes for Germany where Danielle WU / Nik MIRZAKHANI are listed as the official entry. It would be Danielle's Nik's second JGP.

Given that Alicia/Claudios outscored and outplaced Danielle/Nik SC has the option of changing the assignment anytime up till official registration at the competition venue.

The pity is this year we were only guaranteed 7 slots ( we got a few more from other countries not filling theirs but still short of the 14 max ).

To get the 14 max our top entry at JW would have to beat the top entry for one of France , Russia and USA at JW.

forthewin

Did anyone notice the new camera policy from SC regarding skating events in Canada? Basicly we can say goodbye to all high-resolution fan pics and any videos! Why?!Why?!Why?! Now I'm expecting Autumn Classic a little less.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !

VGThuy

I honestly think she's limited by him. He's not much of a dancer (doesn't really finish moves, lacks good stretch, doesn't seem to really move to rhythm, doesn't do the choreography with any conviction, doesn't have a dancer's carriage, etc.) and his expression throughout the dances is very one note. She always seems to be turning, leaping, twizzling, moving etc. circles around him and doing all of the selling of the programs for the team. IMO, she looks like she moved to seniors a while back while he still looks like he's competing in juniors circa 2010.

Last edited:

ichiro

Yes I'm beginning to think P/I need to break up or something. For longest time I thought this team had all the TES to really make a dent in ice dancing. From what I recalled didn't they place 4th at their first GP event. They've continued to struggle and as others have mentioned it appears Islam is the weaker link. This years SD is so genericly boring. I wish going to Montreal would have kick started their careers again like what H/D have done. Unfortunately they seem more lost than ever. Yes doesn't help that they lack charisma, but MF has done them no service with the SD.

The FD is equally generic but somehow it sort of works. Hope they prove me wrong this season. Think their position as the 4th ranked CDN is secure though

-still missing that inner fire. Though they looked great Olympic year and even at worlds two years ago, where they placed 8th in the SD only a few points behind G/P. Then to only tumble down the standings with the FD

Last edited:

VGThuy

Yes I'm beginning to think P/I need to break up or something. For longest time I thought this team had all the TES to really make a dent in ice dancing. From what I recalled didn't they place 4th at their first GP event. They've continued to struggle and as others have mentioned it appears Islam is the weaker link. This years SD is so genericly boring. I wish going to Montreal would have kick started their careers again like what H/D have done. Unfortunately they seem more lost than ever. Yes doesn't help that they lack charisma, but MF has done them no service with the SD.

The FD is equally generic but somehow it sort of works. Hope they prove me wrong this season. Think their position as the 4th ranked CDN is secure though

I agree, especially with all the retirements and break ups.

Dobre

Yes I'm beginning to think P/I need to break up or something.

Not to point out the obvious, but the plausibly next highest Canadian dance team placed only eleventh here and last in the FD. (I suspect Soucisse & Firus may be able to top that. Are they going to any Challengers outside of Canada so that we can find out in a comparable scenario?) I agree that Alexandra is the stronger half of Paul & Islam. Mackenzie is also the stronger half of Bent & Razgulajevs. But where are these ladies going to go? In the FD, P&I demonstrated that soft & flowy plus many years of experience beats soft & flowy plus only a couple years of experience. Muramoto & Reed demonstrated that experience plus an extremely strong talent and a different style can overcome that. Does Canada have a male Kana Muramoto waiting in the wings? Because, if not, they cannot afford to lose another dance team, either to a split or to retirement after the Olympics.

Last edited:

rinkside

Not to point out the obvious, but the plausibly next highest Canadian dance team placed only eleventh here and last in the FD. (I suspect Soucisse & Firus may be able to top that. Are they going to any Challengers outside of Canada so that we can find out in a comparable scenario?) I agree that Alexandra is the stronger half of Paul & Islam. Mackenzie is also the stronger half of Bent & Razgulajevs. But where are these ladies going to go? In the FD, P&I demonstrated that soft & flowy plus many years of experience beats soft & flowy plus only a couple years of experience. Muramoto & Reed demonstrated that experience plus an extremely strong talent and a different style can overcome that. Does Canada have a male Kana Muramoto waiting in the wings? Because, if not, they cannot afford to lose another dance team, either to a split or to retirement after the Olympics.
Ice dancing is short on good male skaters. Many with potential quit to go to school. Sometimes any body is better than no body. Sad for ladies and ice dancing.

Bellanca

Are you saying they're taking a year off because they're surely not going to Olympic because of V/M return... That's not a very good competitive attitude!
It is natural for some skaters and ice dancers to become a little dispirited whenever past successful champions announce a comeback. However, history shows us that these comebacks do not always pan out. Granted, Virtue & Moir are expected to be on top, again, especially in the Canadian ice dancing ranks, but take this V/M return to competition, and use it as a motivational tool.

doritos

They might still get a second JGP. They are listed as substitutes for Germany where Danielle WU / Nik MIRZAKHANI are listed as the official entry. It would be Danielle's Nik's second JGP..

My sources confirm that Fabbri/Pieterangleo been assigned to Dresden, and Wu/Mirzakhani are out.

Smart decision on the part of SC based on the results of this past weekend.

Zazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hWZT2fyvkY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc0a2nm1-D8
this canadian jgp couple is great..ages 13 and 19 Alicia Fabri and claudio pietrantanio or close.
came in fourth ..russians 1st and 3rd and 2nd was a terrific usa couple Pomerenko etc.
I do not know if they have a second jgp but they should.

That comment on the FD video... The kid is 13 and is most likely going to see it. Maybe we could lay off the body shaming until they're adults at least? :mad:

But I really love this team and I hope they somehow stay together when he ages out.

arakwafan2006

As far as Paul/Islam go, he's definitely the weaker link but she's not spectacular. However, given her situation, i know how it feels to be demotivated. The gig is definitely up for them

barbarafan

That comment on the FD video... The kid is 13 and is most likely going to see it. Maybe we could lay off the body shaming until they're adults at least? :mad:

But I really love this team and I hope they somehow stay together when he ages out.

comment was a bit crappy....I think it was a canada hater..grammer wasn't great,,There are a lot of posters on the JGP chat who come out with really uncalled for things on any skater who skates for a country they do not like accusing them of all kinds of things...it should be monitored and the posters zapped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information