Canadian Ice Dance 2014/15 - news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 19, 2014.

1. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

I'm very much drawn to P/I for exactly the reasons you mentioned (and have never considered Mitchell Islam to be a worse skater technically than Paul Poirier for those reasons), and it is the lack of those traits that make me not so inclined to like G/P, as well as the disparity between Piper and Paul in terms of skills. That being said, I had felt last season that G/P had improved significantly in those areas (especially Piper), and that their Hitchcock FD was an excellent vehicle for them.

I was in the arena for their new FD yesterday, and to be honest it left me underwhelmed. Where Hitchcock masked those flaws, I felt this program put some of them back into focus (I don't mean to imply that P/I don't have flaws, for the record). Also, I found the program to be a lacking in terms of difficult transitions inbetween the technical elements. The whole thing just felt a bit open to me. I'm a bit dissapointed, but it's stil early, and they may very well change my mind as the season goes on. Of course, as I've said, I've never been a particular fan of theirs, and while I'm trying to be objective, feel free to take my impressions with a grain of salt. :)

alilou, mag and lavenderblue like this.
  2. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I wondered why Edwards/Pang didn't do Lake Placid this year, considering that they are competing at Courchevel, which is at altitude. Lake Placid is also slightly at altitude and would have been a good prep

3. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Just watched Orford and Williams FD from BC Summer Skate. Wow! I love it. It is so calm and sophisticated. Mark Pillay has done a fabulous job bringing out the best in these two. No more rushing about. It is subtle and refined. I realize that they were not wearing costumes, but I almost wish they would stay with the plain black outfits. They suit the understated theme. (Also just love the "Titanic" lift!)

lavenderblue, alilou and kwanfan1818 like this.
  4. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

I only saw it on youtube but felt the same way about G&P's new FD. The Hitchcock was exciting and original, and masked their flaws. I was underwhelmed by their new FD. My comment to Mr alilou was "well, it's early in the season . . . . . ."

5. canadablue

canadablue Member

I just posted this in the Paul/Islam fan thread, but thought some here might also enjoy seeing it - their new gala to "I Wanna Be Loved By You" from the Margaret Garrison show in May.
    http://www.mediafire.com/watch/25cb...Wanna_Be_Loved_By_You_-_COS_Ice_Show_2014.mp4
    Very eager to see what they've come up with for their competitive programs this season!

From the competitions that have happened so far, I'm really enjoying seeing P/S again, looks like they have improved and I love that their paso is a bit different from the rest. And I'm glad that O/W are taking a bit of a different direction. Their programs are a big step up from last season, which I certainly expected when I heard they'd gone with Pillay, he always does a lovely job. Looks like it should be a good season ahead!

6. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

I had high hopes when I saw that Christopher Dean choreographed G/P programs. I did not see anything unique in that routine. Her posture in the fast sections needs a lot of work!

alilou likes this.
  7. kates8

kates8 Member

I heard that only the Short Dance is Dean.

8. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

That is true. ..the SD is choreographed by Dean
    The FD is Lane and Razgulayev.

9. skatingfan04

quartz likes this.
  10. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thank you, skatingfan04. I was hoping for some less used classical piece in it's original form (as far as that is possible), not for much used music in a contemporary arrangement, but this can still be interesting - at least the version is really different.

11. skatingfan04

Yes, I'm excited. It may be a common piece, but it's a beautiful one, plus the different arrangement will make it stand out. Besides, it's much different than anything W/P have ever done before, which is the most important thing. They seem to be going for a different style. I can't wait to see the program!

yfbg722 likes this.
  12. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

I don't know what parts they'll use, but M. Richter's Four Seasons worked beautifully :swoon: for Nicolo Fante's Beautiful Decay ballet (which I saw performed by BalletX in Philly last summer); it wasn't just a typical contemporary arrangement of a classical piece. There is wonderful potential in it for a FD.

13. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

I am so glad. When Delmaestro and Lum withdrew from Lake Placid I got a bit worried. I was very impressed with Timothy Lum a couple of years ago (with Bruser) on JGPs. Technical skills aside (much to improve), he is one of the most naturally expressive male ice dancers at the moment in my opinion, especially rare on the junior level. Unfortunately he is small. Here's hoping he can grow a few more inches. The program is a bit generic but they performed it well.

I like Gillis/Poirier's free dance a lot. Technically, the skaters looked like they had not mastered it. There were a couple of spots with a bit more stroking than desirable. However, choreographically, it is very innovative. Most interesting are the step sequences. Because of the relentlessly meticulous rules on the levels in ice dance, nearly all programs (short and free, year after year, team after team) use more or less the same steps in a sequence: a cluster of bracket, counter/rocker, end in a twizzle, a cluster of Mohawk (insert a one-foot turn) and Choctaw (add another twizzle). Maybe switch them around and do the two foot turns first and then one foot turns. But basically nearly all step sequences look the same. The two step sequences in this program look nothing like the usual. They are clearly and obviously unusual, even to my untrained eye. At places in the sequences, the female and male partners are skating on different legs or turns. The sequences are very innovative. My hat off to Carol Lane.

Yes, right now the execution is, uh, not good. Gillis and Poirier have not done justice to the choreography. But I look forward to seeing this program skated cleaner and crisper throughout the season. Also I do worry about the levels they will get from tech panels and potential pressure to "stop doing the weird stuff."

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    legjumper likes this.
  14. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Edwards/Pang won the silver medal at the JGP in Coucheval. The Mengs placed seventh. Skate Canada posted an article on the event. The article also includes a link to the their free dance program on Youtube.

For Edwards/Pang, I judge it to be a successful competition. Their scores were close to what they received at the BC Summer Skate (129.62 vs. 133.72 at BC Summer Skate), and they got good PCS scores (2nd for PCS scores in the short dance, best PCS scores in the free dance). It appears the judges like their program. They have some work to do technically in the free dance, however. The free dance protocols are available on this page, and they show that three of their elements received only a level one.

The Meng's total score was 106.74. That's better than their Lake Placid competion by 15 points, but about 18 points down from their Quebec Summer competition (which may have had ice dance scores that were a bit inflated). Their elements marks were generally good.

alilou likes this.
  15. geoskate

Here's the link to the Meng's program: Meng's free dance.

All of the programs from the JGP France are available at this youtube channel: JGP France.

16. geoskate

Assignments for the JGP in Tallinn, Estonia have been posted on the ISU site, although not yet on the Skate Canada site. Link to the assignments is here: .

Assigned in ice dance are Mackenzie Bent/Garrett MacKeen and Audrey Croteau-Villeneuve/Jeff Hough. For Bent/MacKeen this will be their second assignment, following their assignment to the JGP in the Czech Republic (September 3-7). For Croteau-Villeneuve/Hough this will be their first assignment, although they are also listed as alternates to the JGP in Japan.

Alternates for this competition are Brianna Delmaestro/Timothy Lum (already assigned to the JGP in Slovenia this weekend),, Melinda Meng/Andrew Meng (who already skated at the JGP in Courcheval, where they placed 7th) and Hannah Whitley/Ellit Graham (listed as subs for the JGPs in the Czech Republic and Japan as well as for Estonia).

17. kates8

kates8 Member

I would be surprised if the Meng's got another assignment. This is their 3rd year on circuit and results between 6-8th. But with all the breakups and new teams we'll have to see how things play out. I guess that's why the sub list is so important to put everyone on.

18. geoskate

At the JGP in Slovenia, the short dance of Valerie Taillefer/Jason Chan was not very successful, as they had the worst short dance score of their season so far (34.96). They had a fall, but fortunately it wasn't on an element. They were in 9th place after the short dance.

The link to their program is here.

Brianna Delmaestro/Timothy Lum were more successful, as their short dance score went up from BC Summer Skate by about one point, to 49.14. This was not, however, an ISU personal best. They are currently in 2nd place after the short dance.

The link to their program is here:

19. geoskate

They might, simply because Canada has so many spots on the JGP this year (14 spots) and Skate Canada appears to be using them all. However, you're probably right.

Based on early-season results, I expect that Edwards/Pang, Bent/MacKeen and Delmaestro/Lum will all end up with two assignments (assuming that Bent/MacKeen and Dalmaestro/Lum skate as well as they can in their assignments). The Mengs have already skated at one assignment, and Tailefer/Chan are currently skating at their assignment. That leaves 6 assignments that in my view are open for grabs. Of these, 3 have already been assigned (Croteau-Villeneuve/Hough at JGP Estonia, Collins/Firus at JGP Japan, Wu/Soo at JGP Czech Republic), so there are three more spots that are probably open. I expect that Hannah Whitney/Eilliot Graham will get one, since they have been on the alternate list twice now. The Mengs could get one of the other two spots as a second assignment, but in my view it's equally possible that two of the three teams that haven't skated yet will outskate the Mengs at their initial assignment, and will then get a remaining spot. Alternatively, the new team of Jong/Seymour may still get an assignment, with the other spot being a competition for a second assignment between the Mengs and the three teams that haven't skated yet.

kwanfan1818 likes this.
  20. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

Delmaestro and Lum skated very well at JGP Slovenia! I like them more and more. Still need to work on unison, especially matching lines between them (Tim has lovely lines). Tim has a tendency to drop his free foot down early in twizzles; I hope he fixes that.

21. geoskate

The free dance portion of the JGP in Ljubljana, Slovenia is compete. For Taillefer/Chan, their free dance went more smoothly than their short dance. The free dance score of 59.86 was better than Lake Placid, although well down from the Quebec Summer competition. They ended up with a score of 94.82 overall, and finished in 9th place. This was their debut on the JGP circuit, so all of their scores are ISU personal bests.

Free dance for Taillefer/Chan is here.

Brianna Delmaestro/Timothy Lum won a silver medal! This was their first medal ever on the JGP circuit. Their previous best finishes on the JGP were two 5th place finishes last season. With Timothy's previous parter, Noa Bruser, Timothy had finished as high as 4th, but never on the podium.

In winning the silver medal, they bettered their BC Summer Skate score by 2 points in the free dance and by 3 points overall. They also established new ISU personal bests for the free dance and the overall score, but not for the short dance.

Congratulations to them. Here's a link to their free dance. :

They are currently assigned as alternates to the JGP in Estonia, but I expect they will be given a firm second assignment in one of the remaining two JGP events for which assignments are not yet published. Bent/MacKeen are skating at the JGP in Estonia, so I'm sure Delmaestro/Lum won't be assigned there, even though they are alternates, unless Bent/MacKeen are forced to withdraw for some reason.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    alilou likes this.
  22. skatingfan04

Delmaestro/Lum looked so good today! They lost the gold by just a few tenths of a point. Great start to the season for them. I still can't believe Brianna has only been an ice dancer for a year and a half.

23. skatingfan04

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

2.5 years, I believe - Delmaestro/Graeme Gordon won the 2013 Canadian Novice silver medal before they parted ways after one season.

skatingfan04 likes this.
  25. geoskate

The link for the ISU JGP standings in ice dance contains some additional information (of course, some of this could change):

1. Delmaestro/Lum are assigned to the Dresden, Germany JGP.
    2. Wu/Soo are also assigned to the Dresden JGP. I think this could change, depending on the results at their competition at the JGP in Ostrava, Czech Republic next week. If they do well, the assignment will likely stay in place.
    3. Substitutes in Germany will be the Mengs, Taillefer/Chan, and Whitley/Graham.

I find it surprising that Skate Canada does not enter Edwards/Pang and Bent/MacKeen as substitutes at later competitions, just as a backup plan. A situation could arise where, in the case of Edwards/Pang, they cannot go to their second JGP or, in the case of Bent/MacKeen, they cannot go to one of their two assignments. In that case they would lose any chance of making the JGP Final.

One possible reason might be that ISU limits the number of substitute entries. I have no idea if this is so, or not. However, perhaps these two teams will be entered at the final JGP competition in Zagreb, as a contingency plan.

26. geoskate

27. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

So far, I'm most impressed with G/P's FD among all seen for the new season. Very cool moves to lovely Great Gatsby music. Sure, it still needs polishing but I see the potential impact. I'm sure they're cookin' up some snazzy costumes, too.

28. pani

pani Well-Known Member

skatingfan04 likes this.
  29. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

What a beautiful free dance and what an outstanding skate from Bent/MacKeen in Ostrava in spite of a couple of glitches. Amazing edge quality and they were flying out there. Great ice coverage and ease in the short dance too. Still room for improvement on Mackenzie's dancing skills, flexibility etc but I have to say that her mastery of the blade is just sublime.

clarie likes this.
  30. geoskate

I guess we could also mention that they won the gold medal . . .

They placed first in both segments of the competition, and established a new ISU personal best for the free dance (82.42) and the overall score (138.17).

Here's the link to their short dance from Ostava.

and the free dance.

Their next competition is the JGP in Tallinn, Estonia, in three weeks.

Also competing in Ostrava were Danielle Wu/Spencer Soo. They, too, skated well, placing 6th in the short dance (score of 47.06) and 7th in the free dance (score of 70.71) for an overall score of 117.77. These are not, however, new ISU personal bests. They placed 6th in the competition.

Their short dance is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJlNunDmMN8,

and their free dance is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g25ZKXxmmPc

Their next competition is the JGP in Dresden, Germany, in four weeks.

alilou likes this.