Canadian Ice Dance 2014/15 - news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 19, 2014.

1. scs

scs Member

Although I am not seen a lot of Poulin/Servant or Paradis/Oulette's skating, I did enjoy these programs (keeping in mind that they are early in the season). I look forward to seeing them continue to develop. I was also impressed by Orford/Williams. I initially felt they lacked a fierceness and briskness (especially her) early in the dance, but I think this could work for them, especially it he takes more command in the dance. Again, looking forward to seeing them later this season.

The future of Canadian ice dance looks bright!

skatingfan04 likes this.
  2. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

Yes it does! :biggrinbo

Here's Orford & Williams' FD from yesterday afternoon:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/51424695

I don't love the program, but I think it's a big step up from last year. They look more controlled. The music cuts get on my nerves for some reason, but that's just a personal preference. They scored comparably to Poulin/Servant. At this point, I think that O/W have the more intricate program in terms of transitions, but I think P/S execute theirs better, with more confidence and power in their technical elements. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top at Nationals.

Here's Edwards & Pang:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/51423494

I like this FD. I think the music cuts compliment one another, and that E/P are trying and succeeding to express the music and connect. The whole program is in need of more refinement, of course, but it is still August, so that will come. The lifts are concerning, though. The first two weren't that bad, but the last one was scary. I believe Zhao Kai and Maddison have both grown since last year, and I know that the height difference between the two is almost non-existent, so I realize lifts are a challenge, but they need to find a safe way to compensate for that lack of height difference or one of them is going to end up hurt.

Here's Delmaestro & Lum:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/51423899

These two surprised me. I liked this program! It was playful and fun without looking easy or too immature, which is hard to do. They looked like the second footwork sequence tripped them up, but overall it looked good.

3. kates8

kates8 Member

Madeline is a very enchanting and musical skater and they are a hard working team, but from what I've seen on both videos, I hazard a guess that she may be still fighting the severe tendonitis injury that took her out for many weeks last season. A lot of the elements look recycled and I fear that maybe they have lost some on-ice training this season. From others I know who have had tendonitis, it is not easy to get rid of without a lot of rest and can be very painful. But who knows, maybe it is just early in season and needs more miles.

Many dance teams now lack a height difference and I am too becoming concerned at the risky lifts that teams are going for to get the positive GOEs and levels. There has been a real increase in concussions for female ice dancers and not a trend to be taken lightly.

I wish all our Canadian Dance teams Good Luck in all the JGP, GP and Sr Bs that are starting soon!

4. analia

analia Active Member

Edwards/Pang is mismatched and hard to watch...Their lifts are scary. He is an ok dancer and could use finding a smaller/Asian partner...

5. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It's a wonder that they are the reigning Jr. Worlds bronze medalists.

Habs, mag, victorskid and 7 others like this.
  6. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

^^^ :rofl:

The Accordion likes this.
  7. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

They're at least as well-matched as our current world champions.

Hard work, commitment, talent and competent coaching are far more important than a perfect match, IMO. I wish many pairs teams worldwide (in particular) would learn that.

They'll be fine, I think. Having said that, I think they are (as kate8 suggested), still fighting some effects from tendonitis. Two seasons ago (pre-injury) they looked more prepared at this point in the season than they do this season.

ETA: I'm not putting down Cappellini/Lanotte. However, IMO they are a perfect example of a team which is not well-matched in terms of height, but who made the partnership work through hard work and perserverance.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
    mag likes this.
  8. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

CassAgain, alilou and overedge like this.
  9. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

^^^ Thank you for finding the Thornhill videos since the live stream isn't archived like at Quebec & BC SummerSkate.
    Live stream of D/L was captured by this person: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e2VBgKvyDQ

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  11. Zazy

Zazy Member

Wow, Collins/Firus are a great match!

Watching them and Delmaestro/Lum back to back really highlights the differences between the two camps. Personally I prefer Barrie's approach, so much more attention to detail.

skatingfan04 likes this.
  12. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I agree with your first point. Collins/Firus are a very good match. It's also great that we haven't lost another strong ice dancer to the sport, which could very well have happened if he hadn't found a suitable partner soon.

On the second point, I think it's a bit early to be making comparisons between schools of ice dancing based on these two teams. Shane has been training in Ontario for what - five or six months? Most of what he brings to the partnership at this point, he brought with him from B.C. In another year it might be valid to use these two teams to make comparisons.

(Plus I actually don't see any difference in attention to detail between the two teams).

Thanks to Sylvia for posting the complete program of Dalmaestro/Lum, and thanks for skatingfan04 for the links to Collins/Firus, Bent/MacKeen and Gilles/Poirier.

alilou likes this.
  13. Zazy

Zazy Member

I'm not only making the comparison based on these two teams. Both camps have their strengths, I just happen to prefer the refinement of Barrie to the speed and pizzaz of Vancouver.

14. tourtiere

tourtiere Member

I don't like Wing/Lowe teams. They are like Igor/Marina teams from 2005, and their choreography is also rather generic.

15. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Is that G/P new FD?

16. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Yes, obviously it is. The music doesn't quite fit the program at times, though, but it seems that the uploader has put the audio on separately (probably the sound coming from the speakers in the rink was really bad in the videos).

17. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

Nope, they were just a little off time at parts. It's early in the season, I imagine they're still working on hitting all the accents in the music on time. Being in the arena, I quite enjoyed this FD.

alilou likes this.
  18. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

The best skating skills I've seen in the videos from Thornhill: Paul Poirier, Shane Firus, Mackenzie Bent. If Shane Firus is related in any way to Liam Firus, it means that great basics run in the family. lol

I don't know who the former partner of Delmaestro was before she paired up with Lum but Timothy seems to be a lot more experienced in ice dancing than her.

19. Sedge

Sedge Active Member

Delmaestro has had 1 season with Lum and 1 season with Graeme Gordon.Lum has had at least 4 seasons ..1 with Delmaestro and at least 3 with former partner...Noa Bruser . He has always been an gifted skater with both body movement and quick feet

20. anatric

anatric New Member

I am so glad Canada has 3 spots. They have 3 incredible dance teams with Virtue & Moir retired, and all 3 deserve to go to worlds. There are even some strong ones coming up behind though, so strong teams having to miss worlds will still be a future problem.

4rkidz, skatingfan04 and alilou like this.
  21. anatric

anatric New Member

Arent Shane and Liam cousins?

22. anatric

anatric New Member

What I am most curious this year is the battle for Canadian #2 between Paul & Islam and Gilles & Poirier. Mitchell is far below Paul Poirier as an ice dancer, but Vanessa Paul is probably better than Piper Gilles, which makes it an interesting and evenly matched duel.

23. anatric

anatric New Member

Yeah she is too big for him, and their lifts are quite scary.

24. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

Well, Purdy & Marinaro had scary lifts and were mismatched when they were Jr. Worlds silver medalists, so one doesn't necessarily negate the other. But I don't agree in this case, I've never noticed an ongoing issue with their lifts or that Edwards seemed too big for Pang. (In fact, since I mentioned Purdy & Marinaro...there's a bigger height difference between E&P than there was with P&M and given that dance lifts are less strenuous than pair lifts, I don't see the height difference as having as much of an impact.) The big issue I have with Edwards & Pang is her posture, which is very distracting - she pikes forward at the waist a lot and sometimes has rounded shoulders. It's a shame because she really is an engaging performer. The problem is that because she is so engaging, my attention is always drawn to her and then I notice the bad posture.

On the topic of Liam and Shane Firus, I'm pretty sure they are brothers. This article would seem to confirm it: http://www.vancouverskatingclub.ca/whats_new.html

mag likes this.
  25. twizzle49

twizzle49 Member

Brothers.

26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I was sitting next to their grandmother for Dance at BC Summerskate last year, and she said they were brothers.

ETA: Purdy/Marinaro had scary lifts sometimes, but Pairs and Dance aren't comparable. Pairs has many more high scoring elements -- throws, twists, and jumps -- to compensate, and you rarely, if ever, see a Pairs competition with the top six not seeing a single -GOE mark from any judge, 7-9 getting a single -1, and 10th getting three -GOE's -- in Pairs it's rare to see that few negative *average* GOE's -- and that's considering multiple lifts and a set of twizzles per FD program. Pairs protocols are full of negatives for the SBS elements and the throws, and there's much more volatility. There's simply no such margin for error in Dance, where lifts are 1/5 of the SD elements vs. 1/7 of the SP elements, and 3/8 of the FD elements vs. 2/11 of the FS elements. A Dance team with scary lifts would not be able to compensate for them to end up in the Top 10 at Jr. Worlds, let alone on the podium.

alilou likes this.
  27. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

You mean Alexandra Paul. And, yes, I am very curious too. I like both teams. Gilles/Poirier have had more original (if that word can even be used) programs, but things like good posture, lines and close skating that Paul/Islam excel at are becoming such a rarity these days.

skatingfan04 likes this.
  28. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Definitely brothers. Shane competed in free skate up to the novice level nationally.

Timothy Lum also had the experience of competing on the JGP with his last partner Noa Bruser. He is definitely more experienced than Brianna. That said, I think Brianna is doing a great job and just needs another season or two under her belt.

kwanfan1818 likes this.
  29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

A new article on Edwards and Pang, who are on their way to JGP in Courcheval, with notes about the other Canadians who won in seniors at BC Summerskate (Austman, Lam, Orford/Williams).

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/H...s ZhaoKai Pang just might/10125811/story.html

alilou and mag like this.
  30. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I'm very optimistic for our Canadian teams, both junior and senior. There's a lot of potential there. I'm looking forward to Nats this year in my home town.