Canadian Ice Dance 2014/15 - news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to JR Worlds in Tallinn!

I haven't seen anything posted online to date.

Ralph/Hill will make a final public performance together this Thursday evening in Thornhill: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-to-continue&p=4301904&viewfull=1#post4301904

ETA from the Canadian Summer Competitions thread in Kiss and Cry:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

I was very impressed - it was hard to believe they had only been together 4 months! They placed 3rd in the short and 2nd in the free dance with Bent & McKeen in first in each of those events.

3. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

They looked very strong together to me.

4. twizzle49

twizzle49 Member

Thank you. I am looking forward to seeing them together at some point.

5. twizzle49

twizzle49 Member

Thanks so much.

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

That's great news! His former partner, Caelen Dalmer, lists her height on Ice Partner Search at 5'8", and while she was gorgeous doing solo dance at BC Summerskate, at 5'8", that became untenable for them, and it wasn't a lasting match with last year's partner, Whitney Miller. I'm glad he's found someone with whom he looks good.

7. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Entries for the JGP in Ostrava, Czech Republic are up officially. Sylvia already posted (from the Skate Canada site) that the entries are Bent/MacKeen and Wu/Soo; however, the subs are the Mengs and Hannah Whitley/Elliot Graham.

Therefore the following skaters have assignments so far:
    1. Mackenzie Bent/Garrett MacKeen (Czech Republic, also alternates at JGP France and JGP Slovenia)
    2. Danielle Wu/Spencer Soo (Czech Republic, also alternates for JGP France and JGP Slovenia)
    3. Valerie Tailefer/Jason Chan (JGP Slovenia)
    4. Melinda Meng/Andrew Meng (JGP France, also alternates for JGP Slovenia and JGP Czech Republic)
    5. Medeline Edwards/Zhao-Kai Pang (JGP France)
    6. Brianna Delmaestro/Timothy Lum (JGP Slovenia, alternate JGP France)

And the following skaters are subs:
    1. Hannah Whitley/Elliot Graham (sub Czech Republic)

Skaters who did well at Minto without an assignment or a sub are Lauren Collins/Shane Firus and Audrey Croteau-Villeneuve/Jeff Hough. Both are new teams. I imagine they may now get assignments, or at least subs, in the next set of JGP assignments.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  8. googooeyes

googooeyes Member

They need to score 115 points for an International assignment.( according to SC). Jeff & Audrey were close.

9. victorskid

victorskid Skating supporter

Audrey & Jeff had 113.4 combined score at Minto Summer Skate. Lauren and Shane had 115.48, I believe.

10. Sylvia

Beverley Smith's article on Edwards/Pang ahead of their international season debut at the JGP in Courchevel, France: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/3599/language/en-US/Default.aspx
    Excerpt:
    2 Weaver/Poje article links are posted in this GSD thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...quot-We-are-focusing-on-the-here-and-now-quot

11. Sylvia

Ralph/Hill were scheduled to skate a "final performance" together at Scarboro FSC's annual "So You Think You Can Judge?" event last night in Thornhill along with the current competitive dance teams: http://www.sfsc.on.ca/so_you_think_you_can_judge
    Any comments on the dance teams that performed?

ETA that Junior Short Dances at the Quebec Summer Championships are taking place/being live streamed this evening (Friday) - refer to the comp. thread in Kiss and Cry or this TV Alerts forum post: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-SummerSkate&p=4304061&viewfull=1#post4304061

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  12. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

I was able to attend So You Think You Can Judge last night. Watching Asher and Kharis skate their last skate was a really happy/sad moment. They looked like they were having so much fun and it's really nice to see that despite going in different directions they're still very close. Also, they're amazing dancers! They will be missed.

Piper and Paul skated both their short and free dances. The costumes for the short are visually stunning but I did find the skirt of Piper's, which is attached at each wrist, quite distracting during the dance so I hope they will change it. I am no dance expert but I thought they presented the character of the dance very well throughout and Paul's twizzles were very good. Slight stumble from Piper on hers. Their free dance is set to "Late Night, Early Morning". Piper wore a cobalt blue dress with rhinestone belt and shoulder detail, Paul a vest/tie combo. It's a much different look to their Hitchcock but I think I preferred last year's tbh. Their twizzle unison was off but the footwork was really cute and in character as was the spin. I noted that Piper gave good face :)

Bent/Mackeen were very impressive last night. They looked strong and confident and totally ready for the jgp. She wore a beautiful orchid coloured dress and is very eye catching. Their short had terrific unison. Their free dance is "The Red Queen" although she wears royal blue lol. I noted they had nice speed/flow and I loved her ability to play the role. Their rotational lift was quite nice and I absolutely loved the end of the program where it's "off with his head" for the final pose :)

Desveaux/Razgulajevs also skated and exhibition. It's a shame they aren't continuing together as they are a very pretty team and I enjoyed their skate last night very much.

Another little dancer to watch for coming out of Scarborough is Irina Galiyanova. She skated her singles programs as well as her pre novice free with Tommy Tang and she's a lot of fun! Very solid little skater. Quite enjoyed both their Aladdin free as well as her singles free. Very solid jumper with nice extension.

All in all it was a fun night and I'm glad I got to go!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  13. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I had wanted to go so much but just couldnt make it.
    I have been in the past and its fun event.

14. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

15. Sylvia

Poulin/Servant's SD score was announced as 58.20 in Quebec tonight! Video: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/51155237

16. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

That program is a knockout. :D I loved the expression, and thought the nuances they added to the choreographic sequence of the Paso Doble were great. Also, kudos to Andreanne for doing a great job utilizing her skirt. I think they've improved pretty much every single aspect of their skating since their last competition in 2013. I especially noticed it in the twizzles - an element they used to miss more often than not. What an improvement! Good for them for looking so confident after more than a year removed from competition. I'm hoping this opens Skate Canada's eyes and gets them a Senior B event or two!

victorskid and (deleted member) like this.
  17. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thank you. The first set of photos with Gilles/Poirier must be from their new FD. They said it was going to be something light and dancey, and it really does look light and fun. The SD looks like it might have a similar concept to Torvill/Dean's Passo Doble OD, maybe it even has the same music? Their programs for this season were choreographed by Cristopher Dean after all.

18. skatingfan04

I like the idea of a less dramatic look from Gilles/Poirier. It will be a nice change from their usual style. I'm excited to see how it works for them. I'm inclined to like both of their costumes, however that SD dress scares me. It looks like a serious injury waiting to happen. As much as I'd love to see how visually interesting that program is, I'd rather see them loose it. I don't think props have a place in competition. They're distracting and dangerous (I realize that it's sewn onto the costume, but I still think it's going to look/be used like a big scarf). Perhaps it would be better suited to a gala? Maybe they'll prove me wrong...

Here is Andreanne Poulin/Marc-Andre Servant's FD from the Quebec Summer Championship (they scored 85 points):
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/51199145

And here's Elisabeth Paradis/Francois-Xavier Ouellette's FD from the same event (I believe they scored 86 points):
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/51198307

I'm super impressed with both programs, TBH. I haven't seen P/O skate in a while, but they look much improved. The light, elegant style suits them very well, and their technique looks strong through the twizzles and footwork. I LOVE their first lift. Elisabeth looks like a ballerina in a music box. The only thing I didn't like was that last little choreographic bit where he drags her by the leg. The style is very reminiscent of Dubreuil/Lauzon (their coaches), and they pull it off beautifully. Good for them. It looks as though they're ready for Skate Canada.

I really like Poulin/Servant's program as well. They are very expressive, and from the clip it looks like they carry a lot of speed and power across the ice, so the intense music is a great fit for them (especially since they can keep up with it). They also look very strong technically, and I'm super impressed with their deep edges. A couple of the lifts looked laboured, but it's still early in the season, so I'm not worried. I think it would be very unwise of Skate Canada not to send these two to at least one of the Senior B events this fall.

19. Alvyne

Alvyne Active Member

20. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

To be honest, although Paradis/Ouellette certainly have improved, I am not impressed by this FD at all. The music seems like not the best case of dramatic French music with a very cliche melody at least in parts (usually I have nothing against dramatic French music), and the choreography seems like the worst case of Zoueva type choreography with so many cliche moves (after all, they are not Virtue/Moir who can make even that type of choreography seem okay). I expected something better after their last season's programs, especially the very different and interesting SD. I wonder who choreographed this FD.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I love Paradis/Ouellette's first lift and the twizzles looked great to the soft music, but the second climb-up lift is going to look labored no matter how much mileage is on it, and the music to me is saccharine. After last season's FD, I was hoping they wouldn't be pidgeon-holed into lyrical snot en francais, but now I'm not so sure.

I liked watching Poulin/Servant much more. I like the way she uses her arms in both programs.

22. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

Could not disagree more, I absolutely LOVED the choreo of Paradis/Ouellette's FD, the movement fit the music so well! I guess different strokes, for different folks; but then I quite like romantic lyrical themes. I also really enjoyed the FD of Poulin/Servant, it took me more than 1 viewing to appreciate it, as it simply did not move me emotionally right away. I guess I was expecting more of a wow factor, after what folks said following the Lake Placid event.

23. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

I watched their SD Thursday night and while the costume is gorgeous, I did find it VERY distracting throughout the dance.

24. mirage

mirage Member

Distracting - Maybe that is the point.
    From what I could see, her skating has not improved.

nata932014 likes this.
  25. Sylvia

LynnW and alilou like this.
  26. halffull

halffull Dreaming of spring ...

Were you there at the show?

27. mirage

mirage Member

Yes I was.

halffull likes this.
  28. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies ├╝ber

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    DORISPULASKI and The Accordion like this.
  29. skatingfan04

Good for Cyr/Brisebis-Gaudreau. They looked awesome at the Quebec Summer Championship last weekend.

I'm guessing the Autumn Classic entries will probably include Poulin/Servant (who should definately get an assignment after their skates at the Quebec Summer Championships) and Paul/Islam. P/I have always gone to Nebelhorn, and since their not on the list there I'm guessing they'll probably be at the Autumn classic instead (it's a home town event for both of them, and their season doesn't start until Cup of China). I'm thinking Gilles/Poirier might go as well, but there's a very short turnaround between the classic and Skate Canada, so they could elect to skip it. I suppose we'll see soon enough. The entry deadline is today, and Canada is allowed four entries, which I'm assuming they'll make use of. I wonder who else they'll send?

30. skatingfan04

Here's Nicole Orford & Thomas Williams' SD from the BC Summer Skate:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/51382465

I really, really like the choreography of this program. It's intricate and musical and very strongly rooted in ballroom paso doble (as far as I can tell). O/W look awfully unsure of themselves though. They executed the choreography, but I felt like it was lacking the sharpness and authority that the paso calls for. Of course, it's early in the season, so hopefully they'll acquire that as the season goes on. Great program!!

Here's Madeline Edwards & Zhao Kai Pang's junior SD from the same event:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/51380714

This program I loved. They look mature and confident, so much so that they were really playing with the facial expressions. Their technical execution looks so strong, and their unison is picture perfect. I'm so excited for their season.

Here are the SD's of two other junior teams that have JGP assignments:

Brianna Dalmaestro & Timothy Lum:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/51380904

Danielle Wu & Spencer Soo:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/51380504

Both teams look strong for this point in the season, but neither program is particularly memorable IMO.