1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canadian Ice Dance 2014/15 - news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 19, 2014.

1. The Observer

The Observer Active Member

I think you may be right. I just checked on Twitter, and it looks like Kharis recently changed her profile info and photo. I think during the season she had a skating photo on there and listed herself as a figure skater underneath. Now the skating photo is gone and she has a different one up and it no longer says she is a figure skater.

https://twitter.com/KharisRalph

2. Peter_K

Peter_K Active Member

According to a source close to the pair that I was speaking with over the weekend, Kharis was _considering_ retirement from skating and leaving it for me to read between the lines. Part of me was hoping I was wrong in my assumption and I was just going my thoughts to myself until I saw this thread. I guess the rumours are true based on the evidence we've already seen.

Bummer. I've been a fan of theirs since I first saw them at Jr. Nationals in Brampton years ago. (Along with a very young Patrick Chan and Kevin Reynolds, but I digress)

Don't expect any kind of formal announcement at least until after they have skated in a gala event taking place next weekend in Brampton.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  3. The Observer

Yes, it sounds like a retirement rather than a partner split. Asher just sent Kharis a Happy Birthday tweet a few days ago which she favourited, so it's nice to see they are still friends.

4. fan

fan Well-Known Member

he was also very complimentary towards her in his IPS profile - sounds like a very amicable split, where she wanted to move on with her life.

5. joeperryfan

joeperryfan Well-Known Member

Kharis Ralph and Asher Hill have officially ended their partnership, he said so on Twitter and will later make a longer announcement on Facebook.

6. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

Here's @AsherHill's series of tweets:

7. keep n spin n

keep n spin n Member

Asher Hill is listed on www.icepartnersearch.com. He has well written goals and expectations. Basically looking for someone with international experience and under a certain height (I think he noted 5'4"... as I believe he is 5'9". I always thought he was much taller, like 6'1"+. He is very elegant and looks tall, I guess. I hope he finds someone wonderful!

8. The Observer

Nice to see that Asher & Kharis are remaining friends and still speaking well of each other. :)

Makes a nice change from some of the unpleasant splits we've seen lately!

9. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

How tall is Vanessa Crone? Otherwise, she fits the bill.

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

According to her ISU bio, Crone is 160cm, or a sliver under 5'3".

11. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

I am keeping my fingers crossed - I would love to see how Crone/Hill would look together. I think with hard work they could challenge for a spot on the World team well within this quad.

12. shah

shah Shhh...

Sorry, but I feel really :wuzrobbed. This particular split leaves me in million depressions (so does Ilinykh/Katsalapov)...

13. The Observer

Yes, Crone would be the right height for Asher Hill. Asher Hill is the same height as Paul Poirier.

14. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

It's a shame to hear about Ralph/Hill splitting. I have enjoyed their skating for years at Thronhill each summer. That being said, they had stagnated the last couple of years, both in their ranking and their skating ability, so I'm not entirely surprised. I wish them both the very best. They have always seemed like lovely people on and off the ice.

15. The Observer

16. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I didn't think Ralph and Hill were a couple, but I never saw anything that said they weren't either. Just curious since that announcement sounded quite sentimental, and he said he was looking forward to their future off the ice, although he could just mean as friends.

17. The Observer

I don't think I've ever heard Ralph & Hill say they're a couple, but there are some couples who don't officially declare themselves.

Either way, you're right it's a very sweet message that says he loves her and looks forward to their future off-ice together. :)

Skating partnerships can become close over the years and end up resembling a marriage, whether they're married or not. Last fall when Piper Gilles was waiting for Canadian citizenship she said during an interview that if she was married to a Canadian it would have been processed faster, and joked she was tempted to marry Paul Poirier since she feels married to him anyway. ;)

Skating partners are together every day training, competing, traveling around the world, going through ups & downs etc, so they go through a lot together.

18. quartz

quartz I still believe in 398.2

I would love to see Vanessa Crone back on the competitive scene.
    She was not the usual elegant, graceful, dancer, and she got a lot of flak for that, but I like people who go against the grain. She was very athletic and I always found her and Paul's programs very innovative.
    If she could recreate that uniqueness with another partner, and I could see how she and Asher could compliment each other, I would be very happy.

19. Sylvia

Courtney Royer/Addison Voldeng (12th in Junior) have split - he is newly listed on IPS. Linden/Jackson are now listed on Vancouver IDA's website.

20. Rogueskater

Rogueskater New Member

Sad to see Royer/Voldeng end their partnership. When I saw them competing in Colorado Springs last year they had fun entertaining programs. Hopefully they can both find partners quickly.

21. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

22. Rogueskater

Rogueskater New Member

What a nice article, makes me excited for their programs this year.

23. Sylvia

Quebec Summer Championships will be held in Pierrefonds, August 7-10 - link to the Canadian Summer Competitions thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...Competitions&p=4281573&viewfull=1#post4281573

Canadian teams registered as of June 19:

Senior:
    Paradis/Ouellette S8
    Cyr/Brisebois-Gaudreau S9
    Dumas/Proulx-Senecal S11
    Poulin/Servant S-WD
    Caroline Falardeau/Benjamin Mulder J13
    Jade Robitaille/Philippe Granger J18 at Challenge

Junior:
    Meng/Meng J2
    Tina Garabedian/Alexandre Laliberte J9
    Laura Maude Verret/Simon Desrochers J10
    Valerie Taillefer/Jason Chan N1
    Mira Samoisette/Alexander Seidel N10
    Alycia O'Leary/Oliver Grutter N14
    NEW teams:
    Vanessa Chartrand N8/Stefan Dyck
    Payten Howland (USA N6)/Simon-Pierre Malette-Paquette (his former novice partner, Christina Carreira, is competing Junior in USA with Anthony Ponomarenko)
    Yasmeen Jong/Danny Seymour J6
    Christina Penkov/Aaron Chapplain
    Mary-Jade Lauriault/Pierre-Richard Chiasson J16 at Challenge
    Emily Pike (Minto)/Patrick Abdelerly (AUS)

Novice:
    Sabrina Bedard/Zoe Duval-Yergeau N9
    Marjorie Lajoie/Zachary Lagha PN1
    Cassidy McFarlane/Kyle Cayouette PN2
    Rachel Fortin/Edouard Tremblay PN5
    Laura Emery/Dean Holbrough PN7
    NEW teams:
    Sara Marier N11/Jeffrey Wong N15
    Emilie Bourassa/Anthony Campanelli N11
    Alicia Fabbri/Claudio Pietrantonio PN10
    Alexane Picard/Maxime Carbonneau
    Jennifer Vincent/Andrew Wildey

24. Sylvia

25. Sylvia

Grand Prix assignments copied from Skate Canada's press release:

26. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

geoskate, 4rkidz, mag and 3 others like this.
  27. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Great article. Thanks for posting.

28. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Thanks, lavenderblue, for posting the very interesting article.

One quote I found interesting is this:
    He must be a determined young man. To pay to all of his training on his own is very impressive.

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

In the Canadian Singles thread, danafan wrote:

Looking at active/not split teams who competed competed internationally last season and whether they met senior TES Worlds minimums:

Dance:
    Both: Paul/Islam, Weaver/Poje, Gilles/Poirier and juniors Wu/Soo, Edwards/Pang
    SD: Juniors Delmaestro/Lum, Bent/Mackean
    FD: Paradis/Ouellette, Orford/Williams
    None: Juniors Soucisse/Tanguay, Jiang/Miller, Desveaux/Razgulajevs, Collins/Seymour, Meng/Meng​

O/W were twice within two points of the SD minimum, and Delmaestro/Lum were within two points of the FD minimum.

ETA: The SC Autumn Classic is back-to-back to Skate America, where O/W are skating.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  30. Sylvia

Training at the Vancouver Ice Dance Academy (VIDA) with Aaron Lowe and Megan Wing for the 2014-15 season: http://www.vancouvericedance.com/skaterslist/
    Roxette Howe last competed at 2012 U.S. Nationals in (10th in Junior Dance with Mark Jahnke): http://eventcoverage.ice-dance.com/ms/usnationals12/competitors/13-roxette-howe-a-mark-jahnke