Canadian Ice Dance 2014/15 - news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Copying over these posts/hearsay news from the Canadian dance splits thread in the Trash Can:
    Megan Wing and Aaron Lowe have a redesigned coaching website (appears to have launched earlier this year): Vancouver Ice Dance Academy

Senior teams: Nicole Orford & Thomas Williams, Madeline Edwards & ZhaoKai Pang
    Junior teams: Brianna Delmaestro & Timothy Lum, Danielle Wu & Spencer Soo, Courtney Royer & Addison Voldeng

Two new dance teams have formed from 3 split teams:

HALEY SALES & NIK WAMSTEEKER
    Junior Dance
    DOB: 26 DEC 96/28 OCT 96
    Started skating together: March 2014
    (Note: Haley Sales won the 2012 Canadian Novice Women's bronze.)

ASHLYNNE STAIRS & LEE ROYER
    Novice Dance
    DOB: 16 AUG 2000/28 JULY 98
    Started skating together: April 2014

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. The Observer

The Observer New Member

And right now the Juniors (E&P) are threatening to upstage the Seniors (O&W)! ;)

3. Tantallongirl

Tantallongirl New Member

Another new junior team for 2014-2015 , Aaron Chapplain and Christina Penkov who are training at Novi in Detroit.

4. Tantallongirl

Tantallongirl New Member

Junior teams for 2014-2015

Christina Penkov & Aaron Chapplain NEW
    Yasmeen Jong & Danny Seymour NEW
    Haley Sales & Nik Wamsteeker NEW
    Alexa Linden & Jean Luc Jackson NEW
    Catherine Daigle-Roy & Dmitre Razgulajevs NEW
    Audrey Croteau-Villeneuve & Jeff Hough NEW
    Michaela Milne & Matthew Webb NEW

RETURNING
    Brianna Delmaestro & Timothy Lum
    Danielle Wu & Spencer Soo
    Courtney Royer & Addison Voldeng
    Hannah Whitney & Elliot Graham MOVING UP FROM NOVICE

Anyone know any other teams returning or moving up from novice?

5. pani

pani Well-Known Member

So Brianna Delmaestro & Timothy Lum will skate in juniors?

6. kates8

kates8 Member

Depending on if they change the age back up to under 21 versus the current under 20, some of those teams may go up to senior or some who thought they had to go up may come back to Junior. I know Skate Canada has said domestically they can be junior if under 21, but that excludes them from any International assignments unless in June the congress reverses its decision (which feels way too late for teams). Delmaestro and Lum are still eligible for Junior so I assume that is where they will stay.

7. The Observer

The Observer New Member

So Dmitre R. is now with Catherine D-R.

Has Katie Desveaux found a new partner since she and Dmitre parted, or is she not continuing?

8. Tantallongirl

Tantallongirl New Member

Katie is still listed on partner search.

9. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers Active Member

So that's quite a list of new teams! And if the rules are not altered to allow the age for young men to go back to what it's been, there should be quite a lot of new teams at Senior. As it is, with 2 teams gone from Senior, and teams that have to move up from Junior, there will be a full slate at Senior for the first time in awhile.

Moving up to Senior from Junior:

Bent/McKeen
    Soucisse/Tanguay
    Falardeau/Mulder
    Robitaille/Granger

Status unknown or still partner searching at Senior:

Barthe
    Gadosy
    Smyth

On the bubble between Junior and Senior, depending on if the rules change:

Collins/Firus
    Jong/Seymour
    Linden/Jackson
    Milne/Webb

Still qualify at Junior:

Meng/Meng
    Wu/Soo
    Delmaestro/Lum
    Croteau-Villeneuve/Hough
    Daigle-Roy/Razgulajevs
    Verret/Desrochers
    Garabedian/Laliberte
    Royer/Voldeng
    Penkov/Chapplain
    Sales/Wamsteeker

10. The Observer

The Observer New Member

I think Edwards & Pang are going to be competing on the Junior Grand Prix (although they compete Nationally as Seniors).

11. Tantallongirl

Tantallongirl New Member

Collins and Firus decided to skate senior.

12. Tantallongirl

Tantallongirl New Member

Milne/Webb and Jong/Seymour are skating junior regardless of age change with ISU.

13. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers Active Member

So dance will begin to look more like pairs. I know teams can choose to stay Junior domestically well past 21 years for guys in pairs. I think doing the same thing in dance is a positive step, especially for teams who are finding their right fit partner wise, or for guys who get started late. Interesting.

14. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

Asher Hill is on ice partner search. :(

15. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

:eek:

16. Rogueskater

Rogueskater New Member

Did not see that happening at all. There don't seem to be adjectives to describe how shocking this season has turned out to be.

17. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Asher & Kharis have skated together since they were kids, but they weren't moving up the standings, unfortunately.

If they are deciding to part, I would imagine they put some thought into it and felt it was time.

18. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

I wonder if Vanessa Crone is still interested in skating? Could be a match for Asher...

19. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Well that would be interesting. Vanessa & Asher used to be training mates, so they know each other well. Not sure if Crone would want to go back to Carol Lane though since according to what's been reported on FSU in the past, the coaching issue is why she and Poirier split.

20. flowerpower

It would be interesting to see them together. Potentially an athletic, powerful style. But they'd probably need to be willing to move for training.

21. The Observer

The Observer New Member

Yes, would Asher be willing to move somewhere else for training? Is Asher dedicated to staying with his present coaches, or is he open to a change of location?

Btw, here's the link that 'Cant Skate' referenced above:

http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=4826

22. flowerpower

Well, the "willing to relocate" section is not completed. So possibly he's open to it.

One would think he'd have talked to Vanessa already, if he were considering that possibility, so maybe this is just a pipe dream.

But both were singles skaters as well as high-level ice dancers, and I could imagine them adopting an athletic style which would differentiate them from the other top Canadian teams. Variety is always welcome, IMO.

23. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Did we ever have an off season with as many splits as this one? We should have a thread for who's staying together rather than breaking up. :)

For a long time I've wished Asher would get a better partner. She has improved a lot, but IMO not enough for him. With a better partner I think he would have been pushing for the podium. Vanessa Crone is the best skater available at the moment, but who knows who's going to break up next.

Would he be released by SC or would he have to look for another Canadian partner?

24. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Oh man, Asher and Elena would be *so* great. I can dream...

25. The Observer

The Observer New Member

It appears Asher is looking for a Canadian partner so far, but if he wanted to skate for another country he would have to go through the release procedure discussed on other threads. That means waiting out at least a season to compete internationally and then going through whatever citizenship issues have to be completed after that.

You're right that Crone is probably the only former Canadian dancer available right now that is at Asher's level. But if he wanted to skate with her, presumably he would know how to contact her without going on IPS?

26. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Maybe he just wants to know what all his options are?

27. flowerpower

^Good point.

I really hope he does try out with Vanessa at some point, if she's interested in skating again. I've often thought their styles might mesh well.

28. The Observer

The Observer New Member

True. And according to the date, the profile just went up today.

I just don't want too many fans to get their hopes up about a Crone & Hill partnership until we know they have talked to each other about it. ;)

Last interview I read with Crone said she had tried a couple of brief ice dance partnerships (one with a European skater coached by Dubrueil/Lauzon?) but that she had trouble picturing herself skating with any guy other than Poirier. But I noticed on Twitter a couple months ago that she also responded to a couple people that she was keeping the idea of the 2018 Olympics open.

29. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

This off season is turning into a bloodbath for Canadian teams. This is one partnership I never thought would split. It is true that they were not moving up, and the judges seemed to have relegated them to B levels.

What next, I wonder?

30. flowerpower

Although Asher and Kharis have grown up together and have had a great, supportive partnership, they're at an age (and stage, post-Olympics) when either you re-commit to skating or you retire and pursue other paths. Possibly Kharis has decided to retire and focus on her university studies, and Asher wants to continue skating. That would be very understandable.