Canadian Ice Dance 2013/2014: General discussion

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by geoskate, Aug 31, 2013.

1. B.Cooper

B.Cooper Active Member

Any update on when G/P will be back on the ice? Heard that Gilles was back in Colorado this past weekend watching the dance event that took place in Colorado Springs.

2. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I understood they were back on the ice, but with limited practice time so as not to stress Paul's ankle.

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I posted a recent article about Gilles/Poirier in their GSD thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-amp-Poirier&p=3997745&viewfull=1#post3997745
    Excerpt from the article:

4. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

As Danafan pointed out in the thread in Kiss and cry, Kharis Ralph/Asher Hill and Elisabeth Paradis/Francois-Xavier Ouelette are assigned to the Cup of Nice in France (http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/athletes/internationalassignments.aspx). The competition occurs October 23-27.

Also, Kharis and Asher skated in the Isabelle Henderson competition this past weekend, and received scores of 55.42 for their short dance and 84.46 for their free dance. They had already done their short dance at Minto and their free dance at Thornhill, but this was the first competition where they did both.

5. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Were Kharis and Asher at High Performance Camp?

6. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think yes.

7. geoskate

Someone asked quite a while ago about the status of Andreanne Poulin/Marc-Andre Servant (6th at least season's Canadians). They hadn't entered any summer competitions, so people were wondering if they were injured or had split.

I haven't seen any further information on their status, but they are now listed on the entry list for Octoberfest, for the free dance only.

8. skatingfan04

skatingfan04 Active Member

That's great! I've seen them in person a couple of times, and they're a really lovely pair. Their edges are to die for. I was hoping they hadn't split!

9. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

10. geoskate

Here's the free dance of Caroline Soucisse/Simon Tanguay at the Belarus JGP. They placed fifth in the free dance, with a score of 68.06, and sixth overall. This was their JGP debut. Other than a very slight problem on the twizzles, they skated that very well. I like the look of this team.

11. geoskate

Edwards/Pang pretty much ensured that they will not make the Junior Grand Prix final this year with their skating at the JGP in Ostrava - and it was within their grasp. They finished in third, but they were less than two points out of first. The judges clearly would have given them the win, since they had the highest PCS scores in the FD. Unfortunately their low levels on two step sequences and a spin in the free dance, plus the fall on or just after a lift in the short dance, prevented that. Their free dance score was 79.29 and their overall score was 133.39, both slightly lower than their scores at the JGP in Mexico.

In any case, here's the free dance.

Danielle Wu/Spencer Su has a terrific debut on the JGP final, finishing fifth overall and fourth in the free dance. They had a short dance score of 51.68, a free dance score of 76.10, and an overall score of 127.78. They certainly look ready to challenge for the podium at Canadians.

Their free dance is here, with music from West Side Story.

12. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Wow.. Wu & Soo's lift at 0.25 was unexpected and stunning!:swoon: I have watched their vids and am impressed with their continuous growth. I love their West Side Story FD.

13. geoskate

Ralph/Hill at Cup de Nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exl3qwDlBzY

Free dance score was 79.73, and overall score was 131.91 (4th)

I can't find the program for Elisabeth Paradis/Francois-Xavier Oulette. Their free dance score was 81.70, their short dance score was 45.70, and their overall score was 127.40 (5th)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. geoskate

Does anyone know the status of ISU minimum scores for Orford/Williams? The minimum technical scores for 4CC and Olympics are (I think) 18 and 28 points for the short dance and free dance respectively, and for worlds they are 28 and 38 points for the short dance and free dance respectively. Orford and Williams have definitely met the minimum for 4CC and the Olympics, but have they met the worlds standard (for the short dance, specifically)? I can't find any competition at which they have done so, but it's very possible that I have missed a competition in which they met the standard.

Paul/Islam met all standards at Skate Canada this past weekend (if they hadn't already done so), and Gilles/Poirier had previously met the standard. I consider the three teams named to be potential members of the team for Worlds this season. If V/M retire, there could potentially be two spots open, actually, so it does become important that the potential 4th-placed team at Canadians has met the Worlds standard.

15. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. emilieh

emilieh Active Member

Last year, Orford & Williams were Worlds-eligible, because their SD TES at 2012 Jr Worlds was 30+. Does that carry through to this year?

17. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Lovely team......great tech score for that skate......same as the winners.......very promising.

18. geoskate

Thanks, frisette70, for the link to Paradis/Ouellette. I think they have improved substantially since last season.

I don't think so, but we probably need kwanfan1818 or Sylvia to answer that definitively. The requirements are listed in ISU Communication 1797 (on this page), on page 5. The document lists the minimums, including the 28 point minimum technical score for the short dance, and then says

"The Minimum Total Technical Score (not including Component Scores) is a Technical Score and must have been reached in an ISU recognized International Competition (as per Article 38, paragraph 7 of the ISU Constitution and Rule 107, paragraphs 1 to 9 of the ISU General Regulations) during the ongoing or immediately preceding season in both segments, Short Program/Short Dance and Free Skating/Free Dance (See ISU Special Regulations Single & Pair Skating Ice Dance 2012, Rule 378, paragraph 3)."

I take this to mean that the technical score must have been reached in season 2012-2013 or season 2013-2014, so I don't think Junior worlds in 2012 would be included for this season. The technical score can be reached at separate competitions for the short dance and the free dance.

19. geoskate

Orford/Williams competitions in 2012-2013:
    Rostelecom Cup - short dance technical score 27.58
    NHK - short dance technical score 25.72
    4CC - short dance technical score 26.79

In 2013-2014:
    Salt Lake City short dance technical score 27.34

So they have come agonizely close twice, but as far as I can tell have not met the minimum. If so, how well they skate their short dance at TEB could be quite important, then.

20. shan

shan Well-Known Member

I hate to say this, but I had all but forgotten about Ralph/Hill. I always thought they had so much promise, but have they had injuries? They don't seem to be moving up like I thought they might. (They are so young, I'm not counting them out.)

21. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

According to today's press release from Skate Canada, Ralph/Hill are going to skate at NRW.

The TES minimums for Worlds can be met in the season before or prior season at ISU events and qualifying Senior B's, i.e, ones where there are enough skaters, judges, tech people from enough countries in the discipline, which is most of them. Orford/Williams have not made the TES SD minimum of 28 last season or so far this season. Were they to qualify for the Olympics or 4C's, they'd have a chance to make the score at that event, should they not make it at TEB. Barring injury or disaster, with the Canadians highly unlikely -- or, possibly, on the record -- not sending the Olympic team to 4C's, they should be Top 6 and earn a berth at least at 4C's.

[ETA: O/W had qualified for Worlds last season, based on their SD TES of 30.64 at 2012 Jr. Worlds, but the 2011-12 season scores dropped off for qualifying this season.]

The Canadian 4C's team should be quite strong this year.

22. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

Have Ralph/Hill met the TES..or is this why they competed in Nice and now the NRW competition? Also, why did they not receive a Grand Prix?

And, should Gilles/Poirier place 3rd, I assume the 4th place couple will be named to the Olympic team..but then not go to Worlds?

23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Ralph/Hill have the 4C's/Olympics TES minimums and the Worlds FS TES minimum, but missed the Worlds SP TES minimum (28) in three tries over the last two seasons: 2012 Nebelhorn (27), 2012 Skate Canada (24.14), and 2013 Coupe de Nice (24.6).

Last season Ralph/Hill were guaranteed one as #21 on the World Standings list, and Skate Canada, in its infinite wisdom, assigned them a host pick in the initial selection, instead of holding one spot as a TBA and making another Federation give them their guaranteed spot and then assigning them to Skate Canada if they wanted them there. This season, they are #43 on the SB list and were #45 on the WS list and weren't guaranteed anything. With the field limited to eight spots, the only selected teams who were not guaranteed spot(s) were three host picks -- Paul/Islam, Huang/Zheng, Yu/Wang -- and Gilles/Poirier were the only team guaranteed one that got two non-host picks instead of one. The other four teams who were guaranteed one but got a second because their federations were smart enough to leave TBA's for them at the host event, forcing other feds to give them their guaranteed spot, and later assigned them to the host event.

The bottom line is that they didn't get a spot because Skate Canada didn't give them a host pick.

It's likely that if G/P qualify for the Olympics but she doesn't get citizenship, the next couple will make the Olympic team, with G/P going to Worlds. Kaitlyn Weaver was granted citizenship in June 2009, long before 2010 Canadian Nationals, and the decision to expedite Gilles' citizenship application or not would be made before 2014 Canadian Nationals. I haven't seen anything stating that Gilles' request was accepted or rejected. It takes legislative action. In their favor is that unlike Weaver/Poje, who moved to Detroit to train, it's unlikely that Poirier would move from where he's in school and from his coaches, and within a year she'll have lived in Canada long enough to have qualified under standard processing. She should be fine for 2018 under standard processing.

24. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Also, Piper had enrolled, and is currently attending Ryerson University in Toronto.

Ryerson is walking distance from the University of Toronto's St. George campus where Paul attends. Ryerson's campus is also across the street from the big Eaton Centre mall...

Piper, now don't be skipping classes to go shopping. ;)

25. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

I was looking at the entries to BC Sectional Championships and noticed in the dance Whitney Miller/Shane Firus are not listed. Does this mean the US has not released her to skate in Canada? Also, Brianna Delmaestro/Timothy Lum are not listed?

26. thumbyskates

thumbyskates Member

Miller and Firus have split and are no longer skating competitively or looking for new partners. I can't speak to why Delmaestro/Lum are not listed.

27. La La Candy

La La Candy New Member

I'm very sorry to hear this. We saw them skate at BC summer competition and thought they were lovely. I so enjoyed their short dance. I hope the end of the partnership was mutual/amicable and all the best to these young people in their future endeavors.

28. mag

mag Well-Known Member

The rumor I heard is that Whitney was injured and could not keep skating. It is really too bad. They needed more mileage together, but I thought they were off to a great start. I haven't heard anything about Delmaestro / Lum, but I did see her at the rink a week or so ago. Could they just have a bye to Challenge based on their international assignment?

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Had Miller/Firus remained together, they would not have needed a release from USFS to compete at a non-ISU, non-approved international Canadian event. Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier medaled at Canadian Nationals in 2012 before she was released by USFS to skate internationally in the 2012-13 season. 4th place Ralph/Hill went to 2012 Worlds.

Firus isn't very tall, and it will be harder for him to find a partner, despite his ability.

30. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers New Member

I believe Delmaestro and Lum would have a bye to Challenge because of their JGP assignment. The bye option is there, but not always used. I noticed Bent/Mackeen are not listed for Sectionals anywhere. But the Quebec teams with a bye did skate this weekend, and Desveaux/Razgulajevs and Collins/Seymour are listed for Central Sectionals next weekend.