Canadian Ice Dance 2013/2014: General discussion

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by geoskate, Aug 31, 2013.

1. fan

fan Active Member

gilles and Poirier should not be taking the Olympic spot for granted...

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

I hope someone will post O/W's programs on youtube ? Someone ? If I do my best Roger Rabbit "P-p-p-ple-e-a-ase ?'

3. m_chenning

m_chenning New Member

+1.

Still their coaches are Megan Wing and Aaron Lowe? And they are choreographers too? (Who and how chose "Love Never dies"? It's interesting :) )

4. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

+2

I've yet to see their FD, but this team is growing on me.

5. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I like this team too! But after seeing several Wing and Lowe teams at the BC Summerskate I have the opinion that with all the things Wing and Lowe do extremely well as coaches- music choice and edits are NOT among their greatest strengths. I hope they bring someone else into their camp to help with this or even to take over because there is a great deal that they are doing extremely well with their teams.

6. Erin

Erin Well-Known Member

I agree that this was not at all expected, what a pleasant surprise! I'm halfway through the short dances so haven't had a chance to watch their skates yet but am looking forward to seeing them. They made a big statement with this finish.

Agreed. Orford & Williams just beat several teams that finished ahead of Gilles & Poirier at Worlds, and while I realize that G&P had a mistake at Worlds, it's still something that is worth taking into consideration. I'm also hoping to see Paul & Islam pushing for that Olympic spot as well.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

I really like Orford/Williams this season but i think that Paul/Islam should be the third team going to the Olympic. They had great scores at Thornhill Summer Skate.

8. lavenderblue

lavenderblue Active Member

9. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that! It was already improved from the performance at BC Summerskate IMO.

The commentator was mentioning that some of the transitions are not as smooth as they should be, which I think is true. However, this is a team that historically takes a while to take command of their free dances. Last season their early season performances looked a bit sloppy, and they didn't really hit their stride until Canadians. I think they are ahead of where they were last season at this time, so they could be very strong by Canadians.

However, IMO Paul/Islam are still the favourites for the bronze, based on what we've seen from the various teams so far. Of course, we haven't seen Gilles/Poirier at all yet this season, so they're an unknown factor.

10. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I like both Orford/Williams and Paul/Islam, but to say Paul/Islam are the favorite for the bronze at this point is, IMHO, crazy. Simply based on Nationals placement and international reputation, I suggest that Gilles/Porier and O/W are the two couples out ahead in the race for bronze. And while they aren't my favorites, G/P probably have the most margin for error.

11. geoskate

You could be right, certainly. Before worlds this past season I would absolutely have agreed with you. However, I don't think it's crazy now. An 18th place at worlds doesn't do much for anybody's international reputation.

Also, Paul/Islam placed 2nd at the Salt Lake City competition last season, with a higher score (143.76) than Orford/Williams got this year (137.60), so the international judges are not averse to their skating (and Paul/Islam have improved considerably since then, based on their summer competitions).

Purely national reputation is a different story, and I hope it plays no part in the decision this year, although that may be wishful thinking.

But the primary reason that I think Paul/Islam have the edge at this point is that, any reputations aside, I think they are currently the best skaters of the three teams. Orford/Williams perhaps are the most likely to improve significantly during the season, based on past performance in other seasons. They have also been strong competitors historically, which is another possible advantage. Gilles/Poirier are starting from behind this season due to injury IMO.

12. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I think the National bias ( if there is one) generally seems to lean towards Gilles/ Poirier. I don't agree it should, but then they have never asked my opinion ;)

IMHO the biggest advantage Orford/Williams have over Paul/Islam is that the former appear to be consistently well trained. Yes, Thomas made some mistakes this weekend, but generally, the show up, they are well trained, and they skate clean programs. The same can't be said for Paul/Islam. Now that may change this year with P/I's new training location.

It certainly will be an exciting Nationals!

13. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I find everyone's comments very interesting. I saw the three teams at last year's Nationals and thought P/I and G/P were the most impressive teams although with very different qualities. I didn't really form an opinion on O/W. G/P's placement at Worlds is worrisome from a long-term perspective - first, 18th place is a deep hole to be buried in and second, it indicates this partnership is not going anywhere in the judges' eyes. P/I have many fine qualities but they've had so many disastrous falls at key times that I wonder if the judges will ever give them the placement they deserve. This may indeed be O/W's year to pull up.

14. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

P/I remind me of P/B in the past. P/B also seemed to have had bad luck at key times. Eventually they managed to turn things around. Hopefully P/I will also work through it.

15. kates8

kates8 Member

Didn't weaver and Poje finish 2oth and 17th in their first two worlds?

16. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Right now, G/P are the presumptive favourite.

17. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

Since Piper doesn't have her citizenship in order yet and they are dealing with injury i don't think they are the favourite at all...

18. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I doubt citizenship will be a problem; given how error prone P/I can be (G/P trounced them at two consecutive Nationals, and even their Nationals scores are often huge - much moreso than for other national skaters). O/W are an interesting wildcard, but I think right now - SC prefers G/P.

19. geoskate

They did indeed, and it took them three years of intensive work to turn that around.

On an unrelated note, Mackenzie Bent/Garrett MacKeen will not qualify for the JGP Final. Their 7th-place finish at the JGP in Slovakia pretty much guarantees that. It's unfortunate they couldn't duplicate their performances at the JGP in Latvia. They might then have been able to slip in at third place (1st and 2nd were pretty much out of reach given the two top teams), which could have been enough to qualify.

20. Bonem

Bonem New Member

Maybe training with Krylova, Camerlengo, and Scali will give them a boost. Have they competed anywhere since the move to Detroit?

21. frisette70

frisette70 Active Member

22. emilieh

emilieh Active Member

Weren't they at the Detroit Skating Club all last season?

23. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

24. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

I adore P&I; I'm really hoping they can have a breakthrough season!

25. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I'm very optimistic for them after watching both programs a few times..........Lovely. She has the most beautiful arms and back......like Tessa.

26. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

27. Conga

Conga New Member

Me, too! I like them SO much better than O/W (even though O/W are skating well right now).

28. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Guys, i am so impressed by Canadian ice dance teams today.
    I am so happy to see Lum on ice again. I think his new patner look really good and in some points even better, then Tim. They both have such a light, fast legs. And i think they have great musicality and dancing ability

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkhsR_wQY4g

And i am also impressed with Mengs SD. WOW, Patrice did such a great job for them. It suite to junior ice dancers so well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04myIhT7W2U

Good luck yo both teams in FD!

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  29. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Wow......very impressive young teams.....I guess I know who I will be following after V/M retire

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  30. pani

pani Well-Known Member