Canadian Ice Dance 2013/2014: General discussion

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by geoskate, Aug 31, 2013.

1. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

There was a thread for Canadian ice dance 2012/2013, but there doesn't seem to be one for 2013/2014 that I can find. There are the individual threads for the top teams, of course (Virtue/Moir, Weaver/Poje, Gilles/Poirier, Paul/Islam), but nothing for general discussion about the other senior teams and the junior level teams. Hopefully this thread will become that general discussion for other teams.

It's time to start one, I think, because Mackenzie Bent/Garrett MacKeen should be congratulated on their first ever JGP gold medal this weekend at the JGP Riga (Latvia). Last season they won a bronze at the JGP in Austria, which was their best JGP standing previous to this. Their next assignment is the JGP in Kosice, Slovakia. If they get on the podium there (certainly a possibility), they have a reasonable chance of making the JGP Final.

They didn't establish any new international personal bests in winning the gold, but they almost matched their previous short dance personal best from last season's Junior Worlds. Their free dance score was about the same as their free dance score from junior worlds. That's a good start for the season; hopefully they can build on that.

Their free dance from Riga is here.

Congratulations to them!

ETA: Moderator, please see Sylvia's post below. If this thread is more appropriate to the GSD, could you please move it? Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
    euterpe and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Maybe you could ask a FSU mod. to move this thread to GSD if its purpose will be primarily for news and discussion? :)

3. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers New Member

Giving this thread a boost.

Congrats to Bent/McKeen on a great start to the season! If this season progresses like last season, perhaps all those 3rds are going to be 1sts this season!! I think their SD was lovely. Wasn't so excited about that FD. It was boring...open, full of 2 foot skating, lacking complexity. What they have is great smoothness, unison, matching leg lines, etc. developed over many years of being a team. She needs to watch her posture. All in all a great place to start, though.

Can't wait to see how all these new Junior teams are going to do over the course of the season (along with the returning ones of course). Also can't wait to see the Senior season kick off in earnest.

4. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I agree about B/M FD.......didn't like the music cuts.......such a mish-mash, but they are a very promising young team, and their SD was terrific.

5. geoskate

Well, then, here's the link to the short dance. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaxpebzhmoU.

All the JGP assignments for the JGP Ostrava are posted on the ISU website, except ice dance. Probably they will be posted tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  6. geoskate

Ice dance assignments for JGP Ostrava Czech Republic are now posted.

Assigned: Madeline Edwards/Zhao-Kai Pang (second assignment, the other being the JGP Mexico);
    Danielle Wu/Spencer Soo

Alternates: Mackenzie Bent/Garret MacKeen (already assigned two, this presumably is just in case sickness or minor injury interfers with JGP Slovakia)
    Lauren Collins/Danny Seymour (already skating at JGP Slovakia)
    Brianna Delmaestro/Timothy Lum (already skating at JGP Poland)
    Katie Desveaux/Dmitre Razgulajevs (already skating at JGP Mexico)

As mentioned above, skaters competing at JGP Mexico this week are Madeline Edwards/Zhao-Kai Pang and Katie Desveaux/Dmitre Rezgulajevs.

7. Zazy

Zazy Member

Does anyone know what happened to Desveaux/Razgulajevs? They were listed for JGP Mexico, but they aren't on the starting order.

8. Sylvia

Injury to one of them before the SD draw is my guess? Katie tweeted today:

9. Zazy

Zazy Member

Thank you Sylvia, I hadn't seen her latest tweet. Really unfortunate for them, especially since they might not get another assignment.

10. Sylvia

11. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Better a paperwork issue than an injury! But how unfortunate!

12. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia for the link on Edwards/Pang. We are so fortunate here in Canada to have so many great young teams to support.

13. pani

pani Well-Known Member

14. kates8

kates8 Member

Very unfortunate and I'm sure devastating for the team - especially when they were already there and just about to go into the draw.

15. geoskate

Congratulations to Edwards/Pang on a good short dance, with a score of 53.46. It wasn't their best, since they probably lost about 2 points on a twizzles glitch, but otherwise it was strong. Last season, at their first JGP assignment in France, their short dance score was 46.53, so they are starting at higher level this season. Hopefully their free dance is at least as good.

Here's the short dance (although I prefer the camera work at the BC Summerskate).

16. geoskate

And now congratulations to Edwards/Pang on a silver medal at JGP Mexico. That's the best they've ever done on the JGP circuit. (Last season they won two bronze medals). In winning the silver, they also established a new international best score for the free dance. This is the first time anyone except the Vancouverites have seen their program, since it somehow never made it on to the live streaming from the BC Summerskate.

Their program is here on Youtube.

17. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed both Hayawak/Baker and Edwards/Pang FD. Junior teams looking strong!

ETA: I just realized I was posting in Canadian dancers thread, I know H/B are American...was just watching the comp vids and I loved both teams!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  18. geoskate

Assignments for JGP Estonia are Brianna Delmaestro/Timothy Lum and Katie Desveaux/Dmitre Razgulajevs (the promised assignment to make up for the botched paperwork non-assignment in Mexico).

Therefore the following teams have assignments (some already skated), with the teams listed in order of the best scores to date:
    - Madeline Edwards/Zhao-Kai Pang (JGP Mexico, JGP Czech Republic, alternates at JGP Slovakia, JGP Poland and JGP Estonia);
    - Mackenzie Bent/ Garret MacKeen (JGP Latvia, JGP Slovakia, alternates at JGP Mexico and JGP Czech Republic);
    - Danielle Wo/Spencer Su (JGP Czech Republic, alternates JGP Slovakia, JGP Poland and JGP Belarus);
    - Brianna Delmaestro/Timothy Lum (JGP Poland, JGP Estonia, alternates JGP Belarus and JGP Czech Republic);
    - Katie Desveaux/Dmitre Razgulajevs (JGP Mexico, did not skate, replaced by JGP Estonia, alt JGP Latvia, alt JGP Poland, alt JGP Czech Republic
    - Melinda Meng/Andrew Meng (JGP Poland, alternates Latvia, alternate JGP Mexico, alternate JGP Belarus, alternate JGP Belarus)
    - Caroline Soucisse/Simon Tanguay (JGP Belarus, alternates JGP Slovakia, alternate JGP Estonia).
    - Jessica Jiang/Tyler Miller (JGP Belarus)
    - Lauren Collins/Danny Seymour (JGP Slovakia, alternate JGP Czech Republic)

The only team in the top 10 without an assignment is Whitney Miller/Shane Firus. In terms of score they would fit between Brianna Delmaestro/Timothy Lum and Katie Desveaxu. I wonder why they didn't get at least an alternate spot; any suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  19. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

Yes, ice-dance.com wrote in an article recently that it it was because she competed on the JGP circuit last year for the US, so the fed is holding her... or something along the lines of that.

geoskate and (deleted member) like this.
  20. geoskate

Thanks.

and now my typo is preserved indefinitely. That should teach me to proofread posts before I post.

21. NorthernDancers

Congrats to Edwards/Pang!! So far a gold and a silver at the JGP circuit. That's a fantastic start for Canada's Juniors! Feeling bad for D/R. Hope she found some great Mexican food.

Had a look at both the SD and FD events, and except for the top 2, it was all pretty underwhelming. To be honest, I'm not a fan of either the SD or FD from Edwards/Pang either. They have tremendous talent, but their programs are just not right. I think it is time for them to get their choreography outside, from someone like a David Wilson or Jeff Buttle or a famous dancer/choreographer off ice. Someone who is a ballroom expert for the SD, and someone who can do something interesting for the FD. Technically, the FD is difficult. It has the opposite problem of Bent/MacKeen from the week before. Their program was so open and full of 2 foot skating and lacking difficulty - and very cheesy. Edwards/Pang program is packed with lots of difficulty, almost too much, and it just looks like a bunch of hard stuff with a background of horrible cuts to music. They have a whole lot of potential. They need better vehicles. And more off ice dance training to go with that difficulty so that, for example, her back/shoulder positions improve and they look like they really understand their music and the story they are telling. I really loved their SD last year. Their FD was ok. I'm not ready to buy what they are selling yet this season.

22. kates8

kates8 Member

It's an interesting new partnership then since due to his age, I think they would have to go Senior next year but she has just turned 15.

23. geoskate

As far as I can tell from my records, Edwards/Pang just posted the best free dance score of any Canadian ice dance team on the JGP circuit since Vanessa Crone/Paul Poirier in the 2007-2008 season. If that's true, I doubt that they care what you buy or don't buy.

24. pani

pani Well-Known Member

NorthernDancers , what do you think about new Timoty Lum patner? Its so said he and Noa couldnt skate together anymore :(
    I love his personality so much

25. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I saw Tim and Brianna's FD live at BC Summer Skate and it was fabulous! They seem well matched, in fact, I would say he is going to have to work to keep up with her. Age wise I think they are a better match than Bruser and Lum were. It will be interesting to see how they do on the GP.

26. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thanks! he is very passionate skater IMHO

27. NorthernDancers

Pani, while both Bruser and Lum were great dancers, I think as a team they had not a good future. As with most of those BC teams, the girls and boys were not a great physical match. It's really unfortunate for those poor girls. I'm not sure what happened to Bruser, but I just looked and Dalmer is still on icepartnersearch. She's listed as 5'8" tall. It's really sad because she is very talented, and very beautiful. Delmaestro/Lum look much better matched. I'm not sure their ages. He still looks very young and quite small. But he is a lovely dancer, and one of the most talented in the bunch, I think. These teams need a little time to gel. It doesn't happen overnight.

Geoskate, I'm sure Edwards/Pang don't care about my opinions, and that's fine. In my opinion, comparing marks to Canadians a few years ago won't get the job done for them. They were beat by a very strong American team. The field seems a lot weaker this year with the French and the strong Russian teams all moved up to Senior. It's not about marks. It's how they will fare in a broader field, and when they age into Senior. Edwards/Pang are very talented, but, in my opinion, they are not being allowed to grow artistically. Over the long term, they need much better material, and all I've seen in terms of programs and choreography out of BC recently is formulaic programs with almost only show tune music with often horrible cuts and rushed "speed skating" like interpretation. They need some diversity in music, some sophistication, some artistic maturity. They have it in them. They need some great off-ice dancers to help them discover and grow this side of their skating. Their technique is solid and strong. Now they need to grow their artistic side. While they scored within a point on the FD to the Americans, I think there was a greater difference in quality between these 2 teams, and Edwards/Pang were a little gifted in PCS in a really weak competition. When the Americans improve their technical score, will Edwards/Pang be able to grow their PCS score to keep pace? I'm not so sure with this material.

28. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Edwards/Pang perform very well but when you use such overused music such as Les Miz, the music carries the audience pretty far, but in my opinion, the skating has to really soar to go beyond it.

29. mag

mag Well-Known Member

My understanding is that Noa Bruser suffered a concussion and was off the ice. I'm not sure why she didn't return, but given her age at the time, it is quite possible she had a big growth spurt (often happens when someone is off with an injury) and outgrew Lum. Lum, I believe, is the oldest of the trio of Pang, Firus, and Lum. I am pretty sure he is his full size. Brianna is never going to be very big. She is quite petite in proportion and both her parents are small.

30. geoskate

Congratulations to Orford/Williams on their bronze medal at the U.S. International Figure Skating Classic in Salt Lake City. (Also congratulations to Weaver/Poje on their silver, but that was expected, plus they have their own thread, whereas the Orford/Williams bronze was not necessarily expected).

Their skates at Salt Lake City received good scores of 54.84 in the short dance and 82.96 in the free dance. This result, and the judges' reception of them, gives them a good platform to build on for the rest of the season, IMO.