Canadian Drugstore Chain Turns off Christmas Music in November after Complaints

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Norlite

Norlite New Member

The Bay had started to display Christmas decorations (for sale, not store decor) at the end of August / beginning of September.

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I saw that too (wandered into the section purely by chance) and was horrified. And it didn't look like anyone was buying any of it.

3. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I've worked a few retail jobs, the first one didn't start playing Christmas music until the last week of November, right after Thanksgiving. Even then it was more than enough to drive me batshit, especially considering that they seemed to have about 12 versions of the same song on the playlist. So in any given shift I'd have to listen to multiple versions of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town." The year after I left there I got a text from a friend who said they started with the Christmas music at the beginning of November -- thank god I was out by then!

My current place of employment got their holiday stuff out on the sales floor at the end of September..! The first thing you see when you walk in is huge inflatable santas and reindeer. They haven't started with the music yet, I'm hoping they hold that off until the end of the month for my own sanity.

4. znachki

znachki Active Member

5. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I'm one of those proud freaks that re-programs all of the radio buttons this time of year to stations that play holiday music. Even the music cable station "Sounds of the season" is running Christmas songs that I play as background noise. The difference is that it's my choice and I can turn it on and off at will.

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

"We just like the idea of celebrating one holiday at a time"? Not so for their employees, who will have to spend Thanksgiving Day decorating the store and bringing out the holiday stock in time for Black Friday sales. "From our family to yours" indeed.

7. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I used to work at a grocery store in the bakery. Back in the day, people could come in and rent videos (a la Blockbusters). The video section was right next door to the bakery. And they'd run Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer non-stop! To this day I can recite every line and lyric to that movie. Even as I'm typing this, my mind is thinking of "silver and gold"

8. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I'm Jewish, but I don't mind Christmas music in public places (especially the traditional carols, and anything by Mannheim Steamroller and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra), however, I think it shouldn't begin until after Thanksgiving. Give Remembrance Day/Veterans' Day their due! There is a radio station that for years has started playing nonstop Christmas music by Veterans" Day (B101 for the locals), and it drives me (and probably many others) nuts!

9. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I don't do anything Christmassy until after Thanksgiving, except shop for gifts. I like to spend that Friday or Saturday watching Love, Actually and putting up my decorations. :)

10. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

I would say the day after Thanksgiving (U.S.)! Who needs to see Christmas decorations next to the Halloween candy. And the radio station here that starts playing NONSTOP Christmas music in the middle of November plays the same songs over and over and over for 6 weeks. By Christmas I am completely sick of them. I only listen to that station before work to hear the local news, weather and traffic.

11. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Gosh, I just replied practically the same thing and then read your post!!!!!! Are we sisters?

12. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Funny, 20 years ago, I bought some silver garland (Christmas display) at a discount store the day before Halloween to put on the angel wings of my costume!!!

13. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Once I needed tinsel for a set design concept project, to use in a model to represent what would probably need to be mylar streamers in the full-sized version on stage.

Other times I just needed to decorate a Christmas tree on stage for a show. Actually I anticipated the need and bought it on sale in January.

14. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I'd say reasonably, a month more or less before Christmas. They can still put up Christmas items, etc. for people to buy before that, but the full-blown extravaganza should wait until it gets closer to the actual holiday. Whether or not one believes it should be longer than four weeks, I think the beginning of October (some places started doing their decor in late September) is way too early.

I think a month is a good period of time because the music and everything will be fresh and the timing makes it so that you know the holiday is coming just around the corner. Plus, retail workers, servers, etc. will only have to endure the endless and at-times obnoxious Christmas "spirit" for only a month.

15. emason

emason Well-Known Member

For me, the earlier and earlier stuff goes on sale and carols are heard everywhere, etc;, the less special the actual holiday is when it arrives. The older I get, the less and less I appreciate Christmas because it just becomes all about a naked grab for $$$ and nothing special about the actual day. Here in the US I am for nothing until after Thanksgiving.

16. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

You could always buy an artificial tree. There is a wide assortment of them in terms of height, wired-with-lights, no lights (you buy the light strings and put them on). When I moved to my apartment I started with a little 4-foot "Charlie Brown" tree, and then splurged the following year for a 6.5' tree that I've been using ever since.

I'm definitely strict on the not-until-after-Thanksgiving rule about decorating. I'll vacuum the living room Thanksgiving morning, go to dinner at the 'rents' house, and then come home and start in on it that same night! I always do the lights at night with the room lights off, so I can see exactly where I'm putting them.

17. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Geeze... Xmas music has been playing at the ice rink for weeks now. All the girls are excited about their routine at the Xmas show!

18. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

19. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I went to the Bay downtown this past weekend and their entire basement consists of Xmas merchandise. I don't mind it. I don't think Remembrance Day is being overshadowed--if anything, the day is enhanced. The colour red helps and usually the Xmas spirit makes people be in a more giving mood.

luenatic and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

I hadn't thought of this before, but it does make sense.

I don't mind seeing Christmas items in stores around the beginning of November. I usually start my baking and shopping by mid-November so I'm not in a mad dash to get things done.
    At our house, Mr. Habs and I always decorate the house and the Christmas tree the first Saturday in December. The tree always comes down New Year's Day (unless we're hosting New Year's supper... then it comes down on Jan. 2).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  21. Norlite

Norlite New Member

My tree has always gone up whatever weekend is closest to the 15th of Dec. and comes down a week after New Years.

Three weeks is enough IMO.

22. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I love Christmas and I collect ornaments so the displays are never too early to me. But I agree with the poster who hates to see the staff subjected to endless loops of Christmas tunes this early. I like "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" but if I was forced to listen to it all day long I'd want to shoot myself.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  23. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

:shuffle: I love Christmastime, and find it an effort not to decorate before November 15th. Christmas music starts up on my iPod as soon as November hits, but I don't subject others to it. ;)

24. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Andora I already have a small tree up in my bedroom with vintage ornaments and colorful lights. I am keeping Christmas out of the rest of the house until Thanksgiving but this little one reminds me of my grandmom and some very happy times in New Jersey. As for the stores: I love the festive feeling the decorations offer but I find a lot of music (not just Christmas songs) that the stores use grating.

25. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

:) That's nice.

But I agree on the music. I like what *I* listen to, but there is a lot of Christmas music out there that I can't stand. I typically don't turn on a holiday radio station much anymore. :p I feel for retail workers. I hated the constant holiday music when I worked at a store.

26. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I try to have the house decorated at the start of advent which, for those unfamiliar with that, is the fourth sunday before Christmas day.

About a week ago I heard some talk on the radio asking people to respect November 11th and try to hold off on the decorations until after that date which I think is fair. One house nearby had it's Christmas lights up the moment Halloween was over. Personally think a good week after Halloween is needed to just sit back and pick through the loot your child gathered trick or treating.

27. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

That synthesizer version of "Deck the Halls" can still cause my eye to twitch.

28. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I actually think that putting up one's tree is a personal decision. I can understand the joy of setting one up, if you have not had that experience before. I know people who keep their trees up until February 1st because it adds joy to their lives during a drab winter month of January. For personal reasons I wait until after December 7th - it has nothing to do with an appropriate time period, just a personal one. There are many Christmas stores - they carry Christmas decorations year round and the name of the store reflects that.
    The cutesy music causes me to twitch - Grandma got run over a reindeer or santa kissing mommy, etc. I shop year round - love to find sales and better on my wallet