Canadian Drugstore Chain Turns off Christmas Music in November after Complaints

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Nov 5, 2012.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

2. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

There's always some idiot who hasnt a clue what's going on, but has the biggest mouth.

3. Marilou

Marilou New Member

After reading the article, I have to agree with those who feel we should give Remembrance Day our full attention before getting into the swing of Christmas. I for one, love Christmas music and generally don't tire of it too quicky, but 12 fewer days isn't going to hurt anyone :)

4. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you on the Remembrance Day importance, and I also think that most retailers begin too early to play Christmas music. Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas music especially the traditional pieces.

5. SandraMGfan

SandraMGfan Active Member

I'm all for it. Can that apply to Santas too? I saw my first 'tribe' of Santa on Sept 25th...

6. peibeck

peibeck Letting Poje be on top

Maybe Americans need to :mitchell: TV and radio stations about political ads that happen a month before an election? (Wishful thinking, I know, to think they'd turn down the revenue.) :lol:

7. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

In the NY/NJ area, the political ads started midsummer!

peibeck and (deleted member) like this.
  8. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I adore Christmas music and try to play it here in my room as early as I can. However, the rule is not until Nov 13. That way we give Remembrance Day the respect it deserves, and in this house w/our Family history of service, I'd be kicked from here to Victoria and back again for showing any form of disrespect to Veterans/Remembrance Day. However, Mom's Birthday is November 12th, so she has a chance to enjoy her day w/out Christmas music playing.

November 13th though...The way I put it is it's such gorgeous music, it should be heard, but I do agree that from now until Nov 12th in the stores is too early.

9. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I was happy about the decision. Every store seems to jump on the Christmas thing too early. When I was younger they used to wait until after Remembrance Day and they strayed away from that. It's gotten worse every year.

I think after Nov.11th is perfect. I love Christmas music and the festivities, but only after Remembrance Day is observed and proper respect is given.

10. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Whenever I'm stuck in a restaurant or mall and am forced to listen to Christmas music, all I can think is "for Christ's sake!!!"

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I realized today for the first time why Christmas creep is somewhat important. We have never had a house big enough for a tree, but we do now. We would really like to decorate for Christmas, and plan to do so the day after Thanksgiving. If no one sells Christmas stuff before then- how can we get decorations to put up the day after thanksgiving?

That said, I think it is too early for music.

12. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Way too early for Christmas music! I love it, but I don't think we need it much before the end of November!

13. misskarne

misskarne #408

Good! Who cares about the customers - protect your staff from going completely insane!

Working in retail is horrible enough at this time of year. Doing it while having terrible renditions of Christmas carols assaulting your ears for hours a day is enough to drive anyone around the bend!

I am so grateful to our store for the way they do it. Our Christmas CD that we start playing on December 1 is a mix; one carol/Christmas song for every five or so regular songs.

14. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

You could make stuff yourselves. You don't have to give in to the Christmas-industrial complex :)

15. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Thank you!

Having Christmas music and decor way too early not only makes drags out the season, but it's just a ploy by retailers to exploit people's purchasing power. We know retailers need to make money the best way possible, but they shouldn't be surprised when there's a backlash after it goes too far.

16. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Ikea here started in October, with music and products! And this is a country that doesn't actual recognise Christmas!!

17. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Not everybody likes to make their own decorations...

18. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I've made many of my decorations- I enjoy sewing. But can you explain how to make a Christmas tree (I'm allergic to real ones) and lights?

I've been married 8 years without a Christmas tree, it is perfectly possible to enjoy Christmas without it, but I'd really like one now that I have room. I don't think that is giving in to the industrial complex. Christmas trees have been around for way longer than horrible retail sales.

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

<snort>

Waiting for the "they're trying to take Christmas away from us and rob us of our Judeo-Christian heritage" protests. . .

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

And what, in your opinion, is the appropriate date to put up Christmas decorations, play holiday music and display holiday products?

21. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I love looking at Xmas decorations. I have different coloured themes in different rooms. My sitting room has gold and red. My dining room has blue and white and the basement den where we put up our tree is silver and blue. I still have more to get but refuse to spend more than $100 each year on Xmas extras. I am actually going out today to finish my Xmas shopping at the Zellers closing nearby. I also have all of the gifts I have purchased wrapped and put away.

My personal choice is to try to get it done early so I don't have to worry about crowds but IMHO I don't think Xmas stuff should be shoved down anyone's throat immediately after Halloween. Christmas carols/songs shouldn't play until December. I also think if the worst thing that happens to you on any given day is lame Christmas carols playing in November....it is a good day. ;)

22. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

I think Christmas and "Holiday" music should not begin until after Thanksgiving. (I'm in the US.) No Christmas TV shows until Dec 1. I do wish our oldies radio stations would keep their special programs (Lost 45's, Beatles brunch, AT40:the 70's, whatever) on during this period and just play the Christmas records when the regular record mix is on the rest of the year.

23. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind the occasional Christmas song thrown into a regular mix of music here and there before Thanksgiving...then a full on Christmas music explosion, if they must. I have found that this overkill really ruins the holiday for me. By the time Christmas gets here, I'm SO not in a Christmas mood and I just can't wait until it's over. And I used to really LOVE Christmas.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  24. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I don't like that the Christmas music and decorations go up so early. I don't think it should happen until after Thanksgiving. I enjoy the music and the decorations, but when they go up in October, by Christmas they are no longer special. Target started their Christmas ads a month ago, ridiculous! The decorations are already going up in our local malls.

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

The chain in question is Canadian - since Canadian Thanksgiving was a month ago, do you agree with the Remembrance Day marker that some have suggested?

Norlite and (deleted member) like this.
  26. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I agree, but I'd like to see the decorations start even later. I just feel like they look old and tired by Christmas, if they go up too soon. I would be happy if they went up 3 weeks before Christmas, but I understand that the decorations are $$ and they want to get the shopping mood started.

27. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Tradition here was that Christmas trees and decorations went up on 8 December (Feast of the Immaculate Conception).

This year one of our department stores (coincidentally owned by a Canadian family ;) ) opened it's Christmas department at the end of August. Yes, August.

28. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Personally, I think the decorations etc. should be available year round -- sometimes I just need to buy some tinsel in April.

But I'd prefer if the music waited until a week or two before the holiday. I hate most of the music and I hate the idea of a holiday I don't celebrate taking over >10% of the year.

29. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

DO think we need to keep Remembrance Day as it's own holiday. Too many people have sacrificed too much for our freedoms. WE need to remember and honour such on that single day that has been set aside for it. I don't want another holiday horning in on this important date. Same goes for Halloween stuff showing up before Labour Day. Le sigh ...

Don't feel the need to have Christmas music/decorations/etc until AFTER the American Thanksgiving. Actually, I'd be happy with it waiting until December 1st. I'm one of those people who don't feel the need to get my decorations and tree up before early December. If I had put it up so early, it would feel like the holiday season has been dragging on forever ... yeah, call me a Grinch, it's OK :) I have some friends who have already put up their Christmas trees :eek: and posted photos of such on Facebook. My reaction was UGH!!! Really?!? Shudder. Not going to their house any time soon.

I tend to purchase Christmas papers/decorations/etc after Christmas -- usually during the Boxing Day specials. Granted, there may not be as much to choose from as there is before Christmas but the fact that I save 50-80% on items means I can purchase more items and spend less $$$.

allezfred: AUGUST!!!!! That has to come under the heading of "What WERE they thinking?" I've read something somewhere about a place in Michigan (?) have a "Christmas in July" type of thing but I don't participate in that either.

30. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

It seems like this particular department store opens its Christmas section earlier and earlier each year. I'm sure Jenny is going to chime in with this ;), but they probably do it because it helps their profit margin.