Canadian actor Jonathan Frid, original "Barnabas Collins" in "Dark Shadows", has died

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by VALuvsMKwan, Apr 19, 2012.

1. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...movie-version-hits-theaters-article-1.1064327

I used to race home from school to see this show, and him in the role of Barnabas and others (in the various alternate time periods and time lines) every afternoon.

I read in another article and in this one that he and other original cast members will be in a party scene in the new Johnny Depp/Tim Burton DS movie to be released next month.

RIP (truly), Mr. Frid. :eek:

2. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I remember Dark Shadows from my junior high years. It made me think of another occult soap that was on at the same time, "Strange Paradise". I just looked it up on wiki, and that lead actor in that series was also a Canadian Shakespearean actor.

I wonder if they are in syndication on some retro channel somewhere? Tacky sets were pretty much the standard for soaps of that era, but the lead actors were very compelling and had a huge following. I don't think as many teens saw Paradise, as it was on in the middle of the day, but I had a summer babysitting job and remember seeing it every day.

I remember "Dark Shadows" and Jonathan Frid lunchboxes (the metal kind with the thermos). I'll be that show set him up financially as well as made him a household name.

3. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

OMG...I am shocked.

I just purchased a special numbered set of the entire Dark Shadows series (it comes in a coffin case) and it came just last week.

One of the special items is a personaly autographed picture of Jonathan.

I Loved that show.

RIP Jonathan.

4. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

RIP, Jonathan. I'll always remember him as Barnabas Collins. :(

At least he won't have to see that ridiculous Dark Shadows remake that's comming out soon...:blah:

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The genius of "Dark Shadows" is that it wasn't played for "camp".
    With an actor less gifted than Jonathan Frid, the show wouldn't have worked at all.

It was an important part of my teen-age years.
    Thank you.
    You'll be missed.

6. birdgal

birdgal New Member

I used to rush home to watch Dark Shadows. I loved that show.

R.I.P Jonathan

7. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

It's available on Netflix streaming

8. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Did someone send Tim Burton that memo? (And would it be too soon to wonder if it was seeing the commercials for the movie that killed Frid?)

It's a testament to Frid's acting chops that what was supposed to be a one-shot character (Barnabas wasn't intended to be a regular cast member and was slated to be killed off) turned into pretty much the heart of the show. And cheesy or not it still worked--I was home sick one day my senior undergrad year and Mom called, and asked what I was doing and I said "I'm sitting on the couch watching 'Dark Shadows'." She said "You can't be watching 'Dark Shadows' in college! *I* watched 'Dark Shadows' in college!" Thirty years apart, it worked. And episodes without Barnabas were just pointless. Jonathan Frid MADE that show.

If I had Collins mix, gin or vodka, and grenadine, I'd make a Barnabas Collins to toast him. Hope whisky is okay....

9. duane

duane New Member

Same here for me and my siblings. To scare each other, we used to say (in a sinister voice) "Barnabas...Adam...Eve's bones". I don't recall why we said "Eve's bones" but I assume it had to do with the storyline.

10. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

:( Very sad to hear, he was so good at being Barnabus that none of the DS remakes even came close to being as good. Especially this new Tim Burton movie coming out :shuffle:.

11. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

A brilliant actor, portraying a brilliant character, Barnabas Collins (not to mention Bramwell!) on a brilliant show. Dark Shadows really hit its stride when Barnabas came aboard. It's a shame he won't be around to bask in the glow of the film revival.

I have a feeling he'll find a way to keep haunting that great house of Collinwood!

12. VALuvsMKwan

I MUST HAVE THIS. Of course, whoever is selling it will probably jack the price up tremendously now. :mad:

13. icecat

icecat Active Member

Pretty sure that Dark Shadows, like The Honeymooners and some other oldies is handled by MPI home video.

14. VALuvsMKwan

I know, I have bought The Early Years (pre-Barnabas) and a lot of the Barnabas-into-Quentin-years sets, and the final box set with the Bramwell/Catherine story line. It would be far cheaper to just find the remaining originally issued box sets, but the "Coffin Collection" sounds so voidy. :lol:

15. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I have never heard of this show until this week.

16. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I was a fan of the 1991 remake. Ben Cross, Adrian Paul, and Michael t. Weiss. :swoon:

17. VALuvsMKwan

I have that box set as well. Am I obsessive much (please don't answer that)? :lol:

Gypsy and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

It is very cool. It is a limited numbered edition (only 2,500 sets) and from what I have heard is sold out. They will aslo be doing a "deluxe set" of just the DVD's in the coffin that will be released in july. Those will not be numbered or contain the autographed picture of Jonathan.
    Here is a link to the specifics. Dark Shadows - Limited Edition Collection

There are 131 DVD's, containing all 1,225 episodes plus interviews and more.

It is very cool!!!

19. skatesindreams

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  20. Nan

Nan Just me

Yes, Fried was why I watched. RIP :(

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  21. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Seeing as he has a cameo appearance in the new film, I'm guessing he wasn't as morally opposed to it as some of you are.

22. skatesindreams

I posted the following in the "movie" thread, which summarizes my feelings:

23. DarrellH

DarrellH New Member

Usually, when a movie is remade, or if a TV show is turned into a movie, some network picks up the original and shows it about the same time as the release.

24. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Maybe he just needed the money. :shuffle:

25. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Oh, please. It's not being "morally opposed", it's thinking that it looks effing stupid. They didn't make the original with the intent of it being campy, they just had to run with cheap sets and no budget. This looks like another 'take a vague idea from original source and turn it into WACKY TIM BURTON FILM WHERE JOHNNY DEPP IS WEIRD!' See also Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...)

26. skatesindreams

27. Latte

Latte Well-Known Member

Goodness! I thought he died years ago!
    I loved that show. Rushed home from school to see it.
    Honestly, we changed out dinner hour at my parents home when I was a kid so we all could sit down and watch it. We were all addicted to it.
    From what I have seen of scenes from the new movie, it is just a joke, nothing like the original show. But I should have expected nothing more from Tim Burton, I just hoped. What a shame, I had been so looking forward to it.
    RIP Barnabas, you were a icon.

28. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I just saw a picture of Johnny Depp in People magazine in a new role as Tonto in a remake of the "Lone Ranger". He was wearing black Kiss-style make-up and had a dead crow on his head (or some kind of bird). I can't remember if Tim Burton was involved.

I was in the hair salon so I don't know how old the magazine was.

29. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

that photo was released about a month ago I think

30. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Saw this on the comments of the story on Yahoo -

"RIP Barnabas Collins
    1760 - 2012"

Awwwwww.