Canada bidding for 2013 world championship

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Bailey_, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow Well-Known Member

Do you live in Winnipeg, Winnipeg?
    Well, London is closer for us over here so...

2. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

Kim - it's really nice and what's handy is you can leave the arena and walk to all sorts of nice places to eat, drink, shop etc., There are lots of hotels both closer to the arena and out to the highway - in addition many other cities are close by.. regular transport from Toronto and airline bus from Detroit airport and Toronto airport.. I don't live in London but agree it's a great choice - they did a great job for Nationals.. I'll have a vehicle again as well :p

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

:rolleyes: Neither city is that difficult to get to, provided you don’t have an aversion to small planes for the TO to London flight. How easy one place is to get to vs the other kinda depends on where you’re coming from and what form of transportation you’ll be using, no? ;) For those planning on driving, be prepared, parking really is a PITA.

Looking at the ticket prices for the Worlds in Calgary, it will be interesting to see how quickly the tickets sell. The lower-priced ones may go fast, but the top end are pretty pricey.

4. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

Considering how many seats will be reserved for the ISU and Skate Canada, I have no doubt that tickets will be in high demand and the event will sell out with no difficulty.

I still have to wonder if it was wise to limit the event to such a relatively-speaking, small arena. It's not nationals, this is the world championship. Big! Seems like a step back to me... I was in Calgary and I have to wonder if the relatively poor attendance was related to the fact that the event wasn't marketed very well. I have no doubt that Winnipeg would have sold out - given the response to other big events like the Brier, the world Jr hockey championships, concerts, etc... That venue has become one of the premier venues in terms of selling out and maximizing revenue because community support is strong. But, it's a done deal at this point and London will be wonderful - it was wonderful this past year at nationals. I would love to go but I'm not too excited to go back to London and I fear that it will be really hard to get tickets.

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Thanks from me, as well.

6. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

The relatively poor attendance in Calgary was probably more due to it being a post-Oly's Worlds than anything else.

7. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I think also that the Olympics in Torino were more accessible for Europeans than Sochi will be. The logistics of Sochi might not be possible for a lot of people in Europe who could fly into Toronto easily and directly from European hubs for the post-Olympic Worlds.

I don't think anything stops fans from Japan.

8. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

The vast majority of European figure skating fans tend not to travel Worlds outside of Europe. Sochi isn't going to factor into their decisions one way or the other.

There are direct flights from Europe to Toronto, but the skaters flying in are going to face a two hour coach trip to get to (fake) London after their flights and going back will have to leave 5-6 hours ahead of their flights to make sure they arrive on time at Pearson. Two hours from a proper international airport is just unacceptable for a host city for a World Championships.

Let's hope nobody's luggage gets lost. :scream:

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I guess no more WC's for Dortmund again, then. Isn't Nagano a long trip from the nearest proper international airport? Everyone I spoke to who went from NA traveled through Tokyo.

10. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Damn, doesn't it just suck that Canada's such a friggin' big country with so many arenas and so few proper international airports. Guess that's what we get for being the Imperialists and having the nerve to leave the homeland...

11. allezfred

Dortmund is 45 minutes from Dusseldorf Airport on a direct train. So I guess Dortmund can have Worlds again. :D

And Nagano is a bit of a journey from Tokyo. Which is why Worlds next year was moved there from Tokyo. You can still get from Tokyo to Nagano in 79 minutes if you want though by a frequent, reliable and comfortable train service.;)

12. Blade1

Blade1 New Member

Does anyone know typically when tickets for a World's event go on sale ? I read one of the articles that tickets for Worlds 2013 would go on sale Spring of 2011 - is that normal ? Typically 1 year before event tickets go on sale. Just asking and thinking ahead.

13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The athletes still have to shlug their stuff from the terminal to the platform and wait for the connection -- I did it in 2004 -- and how does that affect whether or not someone's luggage is lost? What is the big difference between a private coach that picks them up from the terminal and a train?

For the athletes, London should be fine. For spectators, it's harder relying on public transportation that isn't scheduled around a skating event, but it's doable. It's easier having to make no connection at all, but that's not the case for all events, in Europe or in Asia, either.

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I can't imagine the athletes having much of an issue as they are used to traveling to events. If anything, this location is familiar to many (plus the coaches, officials etc) because they've been there for Cdns, or other events in southeastern Ontario and the GTA. Plus all the skaters who train in the northeastern US won't have to change timezones, or altitude :)

15. allezfred

Yes, I'm sure the Czechs, Germans, French and Japanese etc will be very familiar with (fake) London having been there for Canadians and other regional Ontario events. :lol:

Has altitude been a problem at Worlds recently? :confused:

16. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Skate Canada was in Kitchener-Waterloo this season, and in recent years international events have also been held in Hamilton and Mississauga.

As for Cdns, there may not be any international skaters there, but there are coaches from other countries, and various ISU officials.

No not recently - I just threw it in based on memories of Skate America in Colorado Springs a few times, not to mention SLC Olys.:)

17. Michael O'C

Michael O'C Member

From memory, that was made worse in Calgary because the head of one of the tour groups complained about people walking past his group. Security then stopped people doing that. I don't think people were walking past during the skating.

18. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Walking past his group on the concourse?

19. marion853

marion853 New Member

They will not have to take a coach to get to London. They will simply transfer to another plane and fly into the London International Airport. Those of us who live in London do it all the time. Some of us will actually have to take 3 planes to get to and from Canadians in Victoria next year and it all seems quite normal. Please stop being so dramatic about the accessibilty to London!

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

LOL!
    The level of whining is amazing and then trying to say "it's all about the skaters" Umm.... I don't buy that. Skaters go to all kinds of strange places to compete and live. They will be just fine. Some of them actually have families in the "middle of no where" where there aren't ANY flights and they probably survive that. If they are that delicate that this is a major issue then I don't see how they survive any travel to any events. :scream:

Not to mention that flight schedules in June 2010 probably bear little if any resembalance to what we might or might now see in 2013.......

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

Fly, drive whatever.....

I'm :rofl: over all the :drama: about the skary, skary highway.

22. jp1andonly

jp1andonly Well-Known Member

LOL..love it...

23. Meh, my house is about 2 hours away from the 2 airports I most frequently use as well. (by train, bus, public transport) Never mind if I fly from Brussels or Dusseldorf/Weeze, that's even worse. :p

to take a bus for 2 hours sounds fine by me.... I plan to visit. Anyway I often fly with Ryanair within Europe :shuffle: ... I am used to landing in the middle of nowhere :lol:

Skaters will probably find themselves an easy way, or the organisation will, I am sure :p

24. Michael O'C

Michael O'C Member

No, in the seating area.

25. Winnipeg

Winnipeg Well-Known Member

Thanks William for your very professional and informative post. Everything you say makes perfectly good sense and is completely in line with my opinion of Skate Canada as a very professional and transparent organization.

Well done.

26. Winnipeg

Have you driven it? :D:D :scream::scream: :rolleyes:

27. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

I live 2 blocks from the 401. I drive it every day. I drive almost the length of it at least once a month.

28. Winnipeg

You must be used to it then - my sincere condolences. It's just not something I like to do, especially in bad winter conditions. I think it is the truck traffic. When I lived in southern Ontario, I dreaded having to drive the 401 or the 402. It is one of the worst I have driven in NA, with one exception and that is the hwy between Boston and Providence.

I have been badly spoiled by Winnipeg's easy going, easy to get around sort of city.............:)

29. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

I've driven much of the 401. We took it home from Lake Placid one year (in early April, not much later than the 2013 Worlds will be). I've also driven it several times between Windsor and the Niagara region. I'll admit it is no fun around Toronto, but then again driving around a lot of major cities is no fun.

30. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

I have driven the 401 from Windsor to as far as Quebec and the only really horrible part is getting through Toronto. I absolutely agree that the truck traffic is probably the worst of that, along with the volume of traffic. Fortunately, anyone driving to London from Toronto will only face traffic volume issues if they are heading out of the city at the end of a work day. If they can time their commutes around that window, they will likely be fine.

As for winter conditions, one can never tell what we will have. My DD was born in March (her birthday typically falls during Worlds) and some years we have been in short sleeves and other years there has been snow but I don't remember anything really horrific weather-wise during her birthday for the last 18 years. :)

The 402 has never been a terrible drive for me either, other than that I find it rather boring because there isn't much to see along that highway, and you do have to mind the speed limits as there are often speed traps along it.

I really don't see London as a bad choice. I enjoyed Nationals there this year and have found many of the comments here puzzling. I certainly never felt unsafe as one poster stated and thought the downtown area was fine. I actually would have like to have seen more of it but was kept fairly busy watching skating lol! My only complaint would really be parking. It was sometimes difficult to find so you really do need to leave yourself lots of time, and be prepared for a walk in the event you must park at a distance. Other than that, I quite enjoyed it.