Canada bidding for 2013 world championship

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Bailey_, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I totally understand personal disappointment - I myself have often been disappointed when locations are announced and they aren't convenient for me.

It just seems that in this case, there is much higher degree of emotion that's going beyond Winnipeg's loss (if they were even in contention) and is now focused on all the reasons London is a bad choice, and now we're back to the same old arguments from western Canada.

Nobody seems to be complaining that Cdns are in Victoria this year, or that Quebec and the Maritimes have no events this year, or that they get less events than other regions. Or that they didn't get Worlds.
  2. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Well Toronto is its own little universe, isn't it? ;) I don't think you would find that in many other Ontario cities.

I would have gone to worlds whatever city is was held in- each one for me had pluses and minuses. London will do. As Winnipeg would have, or Ottawa (sniff! :().

But I would like to see a big event in Winnipeg soon- maybe SC next year?
  3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

You must have missed the bitchfest about Victoria getting Canadians, then, after hosting SC in 2006 and the string of events in Vancouver.

I just found out I was a Westerner, so I guess I should now consider London much more inconvenient than when I posted five minutes ago that this wasn't a consideration for traveling from the Pacific Northwest.

And, yes, I do feel for the people the middle provinces who've seen almost all of the events in a five-year period seesawing between the Pacific Northwest and Ontario.

You are a brave woman, since the last time Ottawa hosted anything, you were running a boardinghouse for FSUers! (And mr. cygnus is a very brave man!) And that was only a long weekend, although by 2013, Worlds might be a long weekend.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  4. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Part of me hopes Winnipeg never gets another skating event just so that we can have one of these types of :drama: threads every time a skating location announcement is made. :lol:
    Jenny and (deleted member) like this.
  5. discoduck

discoduck Bringing Albinoni Back

I'm just disappointed that it's not in Ottawa because I have a free place to stay there. ;)
  6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

But it shows that Canadians are emotional :)
  7. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

I want the Maritimes to get something. I really wanted Saint John to get SC or Nats. It is their turn, but I knew Halifax probably wouldn't be bidding on anything this year, maybe next.

And I'd love it if Yellowknife or Whitehorse got an event (not that that is ever going to happen).

But it's a polite, reserved emotional state. ;)
  8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

:huh: I just checked the thread about Victoria Canadians, and other than one person saying that all events are in BC and Ontario and another saying BC seemed to be getting alot of events, the rest of the thread is filled with yippees and people discussing event logistics. And strangely, no one complaining that Winnipeg didn't get it.

Is there another thread on the topic?
  9. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

You do realize the reason why BC got so many events in the last Olympic cycle, don't you?
  10. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Maybe Winnipeg should get its name changed to Whineypeg. ;)
  11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Uh, yes for three events in Vancouver, but I'm not quite sure how Victoria is preparation for the Olympics. Wouldn't that make it even more frustrating that the rest hasn't been more equally distributed?
  12. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

:lol: Whineypeg, Crynada? :p
    Lizziebeth and (deleted member) like this.
  13. jp1andonly

jp1andonly New Member

Again..I will state the same thing... THEY DIDNT PUT IN A STONG ENOUGH BID FOR EVENTS. Simple as that..case closed. Maybe if the Manitoba section or in actuality A HOST CLUB (which is what SC now requires) put ins a strong bid the MB will get events. When they do lots of us will go. But until that time, MB won't get events

14. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Could very well be. But "case closed"? Were you privy to the bid process?

There have been a number of bids historically in the Olympic process that were sketchy, but propped up for political or :bribe: reasons, and I have no reason to believe that the ISU is somehow immune to political considerations.

London might have submitted the best bid. Winnipeg's might have been crap. London might be the best place to have Worlds.

Or maybe not. Not that it matters, because they've made their decision.
  15. allezfred

Surely the choice of (fake) London was down to Skate Canada. My impression was that the ISU was giving 2013 Worlds to Canada no matter which city was hosting.
  16. jp1andonly

jp1andonly New Member

That was my understanding as well. As for nationals, western/easterns, SC, etc that is up to SC to choose on the best bid and well honestly maybe people who want something in MB should contact the section and see if any bid were put forth rather then whine....

17. skateblade

skateblade New Member

My understanding was the host cities submit their bids to SC and then they pick the best one to submit to the ISU.

I also heard from someone reliable that Canada submitted Winnipeg to host the 2012 Worlds and got shutdown by the ISU. This is maybe why they chose another city to submit for 2013.
  18. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

maybe since the ISU is trying to makes Worlds smaller, they decided that giving it to London could be the start. Maybe Spokane is not far away from hosting Worlds. But after LA, should the US send another Western bid? I'm thinking Midwest or even East Coast. Boston Worlds at the TD Garden anyone?
  19. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Um, no. Seems to me like Skate Canada was spreading around their lone international event to various locales in Canada, Victoria being one of them. Just so happens it was about 4 years out from the Olympics.

Anyway, I don't get why you're perserverating over this. :yawn:
  20. allezfred

Nice v Winnipeg - that must have been a hard decision. :shuffle:
    Rafter and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Winnipeg

Winnipeg New Member

:p:p:p:angryfire:angryfire:drama:
  22. Winnipeg

Winnipeg New Member

:yawn::yawn::saint::saint::lynch::drama:
  23. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Considering that it looked like Canada's "turn" in 2012 -- six years since Calgary -- Winnipeg's bid might have been weak enough to go back to Europe two years after Torino Worlds. Or Winnipeg might have been a straw man to get the pre-Olympics Worlds after Canada hosted a poorly attended post-Olympics Worlds.

It's not like London is that much bigger an attraction than Winnipeg, but, given how long it had been since a Worlds in Canada, and the unlikely scenario of Canada getting bypassed again, and getting two post-Olympics worlds in a row, it could have been up against any place and won.
  24. allezfred

Well from what Cinquanta said at the Tokyo Worlds presentation in Torino Canada was the only option for 2013 Worlds. He also hinted at Worlds being rotated between Asia-Europe-North America.
  25. AragornElessar

AragornElessar New Member

So much for me attending a Worlds in Canada anytime soon. :(

I love London, the city, but I have a bad feeling about this. The arena's not all that big once you factor in the seats that first ISU and then the Tour Companies will block off for themselves. Unlike a huge arena, such as GM Place in Vancouver, that's not going to leave too many seats left for the rest of the public at the JLC.

Then you've got the Hotels and B&B's to look at. While there's great accomdations in the London area, are there enough? And remember that London's a major Medical Centre and is home to the best Organ Transplant Centre in Canada, if not North America. I know for a fact the hotels in London keep a couple of rooms available for family members of Transplant Patients.

Plus that's the same time that many Med Students are doing the rounds of interviews for possible Internship/Residency Programs out there. Factor in the real possiblity of a major medical conference happening at LHSC the same time as Worlds. If that did end up happening, then the situation could very well look something like this....You've got the ISU blocking rooms, the Skating Tour compainies blocking rooms, and *if* there's also a major Medical Conference!?! Somewhere to stay could be very tough to come by.

I don't have a problem w/London hosting Canadians or Skate Canada, my personal feelings about the JLC aside, as an event that size can be handled well by a city the size of London w/no problems. Worlds though? I just don't know.

I agree w/those saying this smacks of trying to influence a certain Dance Team from the area to stick around. The instance I learned this news yesterday, that was the first thing that came into my mind. Of course no one from SC will be saying anything like that on the record, but I can't believe it wasn't a factor and a big one too for London getting the nod.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but...I've just got a really bad feeling about Worlds in London, Ontario I just can't shake.
  26. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow New Member

But I was there!!! :drama:

London is easier to get to.
  27. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

when was the last time a post-Olympic Worlds was well attended since the Olympic champs opted to compete in them?
  28. allezfred

All the evening sessions in Torino were packed.
  29. Winnipeg

Winnipeg New Member

No it isn't...................it's a pain to get to London
  30. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

31. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

Not for me. I just take I-94 to Port Huron, cross the border to Sarnia, and it's just a hop, skip and a jump from there. :p
  32. mocha-ice

mocha-ice Active Member

Well London is closer to me than Winnipeg, but both of those were low on my list...

London is just not a nice city I found, well at least the part near the arena. I remember it being enjoyable in 2005 for Nats, but I was shocked at the change in 2010 (and not for the better).
    It's apparently downtown, but the area around the arena was is not the nicest part of town. I was staying at the hotels near the arena (so maybe 5-10 min walk), and at night I didn't want to walk back by myself. It's a bit sketchy, honestly...

The arena is okay... kind of small honestly and I HATE that you can't walk all the way around. I heard from people working in media that the situation for that was disasterous (aka they had to use space in the hallways for media room).

I'm sure it will sell out no problem, there is a huge fan and volunteer base. I'm sure the event will be great, not sure if I'll go... But really all of the 4 choices had their pros and cons...
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  33. Winnipeg

Winnipeg New Member

Terrible highway/traffic:p:p
  34. William

William New Member

Good Afternoon

I have read with interest the posts with respect to the 2013 ISU World Championships being awarded to London, Ontario.

Given the content of some of the posts, I thought I would provide some insight into the manner in which we deal with bids (not just Worlds) at Skate Canada.

First of all, let me say that we received 4 strong bids for hosting Worlds in 2013. Of course, each bid had some different strengths. For those of you from Winnipeg, I would agree that the venue is outstanding and the hotels are convenient. This was a strength of the Winnipeg bid.

In short, and trust me, this is a long and detailed process, essentially what we do is to look at the bids to ensure that the facilities are in place to host the event. We then do a pro forma financial statement for each bid taking into account major costs (eg hotel, venue, transportation) and major revenues (eg ticket sales, local sponsorship, government support). Each of these items can have a material impact on the financial success of the event.

Running events is tricky business these days. It is very easy to lose money on events if costs are not controlled and revenue is not maximized. In general, bigger venues equal higher costs so the trick is putting it in the biggest venue you feel you can sell out. This has the additional benefit of providing a great atmosphere for the athletes as it is much better to skate in front of a full building than one that is half empty.

A major factor in this bid process was ability to sell the venue. We have sold out London on a few occasions including the weekend of this past year’s Canadian championships. This definitely was a factor that assisted London as well as very strong local and government support.

For those of you who want an event in your community, lobby your local politicians and tourism group to submit a strong bid to us. We are happy to go anywhere in our country and do not dislike anywhere. Someone mentioned Whitehorse; I’d love to go there if we got the right bid for the right event.

As for Tessa and Scott, them coming from the London area did not factor in the decision other than perhaps strengthening our ticket sale assumptions.

So, I’m afraid there are not any hidden politics or favouring a particular area. We are really trying to have an open and transparent process that makes our events as successful as possible.

William Thompson
    CEO Skate Canada
    Habs, suep1963, WindSpirit and 17 others like this.
  35. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response
  36. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

Thank you for the explanation, Mr. Thompson, it's nice to know Skate Canada is interested in keeping the fans informed.
  37. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I'm so going to try to get there... Winnipeg would have been more convenient for me but I'm not surprised London got it. Here's hoping I can afford to buy tickets in the spring!
  38. jp1andonly

jp1andonly New Member

thank you for explaining things to those who decided they didn't want to listen....
  39. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

Thank you Mr Thompson.

I don't know what it was like in Calgary but in Vancouver in 2001 you couldn't walk all the way around the arena either.

As for the potential for a major medical conference taking place at the same time. The local organizers of such events will know that Worlds is taking place at that time and will more than likely plan accordingly.
  40. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Thanks to Mr. Thompson for taking the time to write on here and clarify!