Canada bidding for 2013 world championship

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Bailey_, Mar 9, 2010.

1. i love to skate

i love to skate New Member

Well I am glad that Worlds are going to be in Canada but less than thrilled that it will be in London. London is hard to fly into and isn't the arena pretty tiny to be holding Worlds?? :confused: I have feeling it will be very hard to get tickets...

The MTS Centre is a 15,000 seat arena that is less than ten years old and one of the busiest arenas in North America! How would that not be a suitable facility??

2. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Virtue & Moir are from the London area. Being able to compete at a World Championships in their "home" city of London might be rather enticing for not only them, but also for Skate Canada to be able to provide them that type of opportunity. Though that's not to say London didn't earn this opportunity... just that it could have been one of many factors in Skate Canada's decision.

3. Winnipeg

Winnipeg Well-Known Member

Obviously, disappointed it is not in Winnipeg :(:(

It is well suited to holding such an event from both participants and attendees perspectives..................:(:(

4. snobben2345

snobben2345 New Member

Is the ISU nuts?

Worst possible choice for the FS fan base that travels to attend events. London is a bit out of the way, with very limited hotel space near the arena.All of that will be taken up by the ISU and national federations. And FYI not everyone wants to stay in a B&B.

The John Labatt Centre is a nice arena, but very small for Worlds.

Sounds like SC is assuming that V/M will still be competing by then, and that local base support will sell the place out. If so, tickets will be expensive and hard to get.

5. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

It must have come in with a lower bid than Winnipeg. I too am disappointed that Winnipeg didn't get the bid. But London is close to the US border, Detroit is only 3 hours away? Huge fan base coming in from that area.

6. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

I am so not happy with this announcement. I was really hoping that it would be Winnipeg. This is such a bummer...

7. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? A Worlds in London will sell-out probably just from fans in London and the SWO area alone.

8. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Personally I would have preferred Winnipeg because it's so much easier to get to, but I think it's a good call to put it in London where support is so strong because of Virtue & Moir and I expect that had a lot to do with the decision.:) Edmonton got Worlds in 1996 because of the legacy left by Kurt Browning, and it was a huge success - I'm sure London will be too.

9. i love to skate

I think that poster meant that it is a poor choice for people who fly into cities to watch events. Flying into London is not very easy as it is not a major hub. One would think that Worlds would be held in a city that at least had easy air access...

It is even difficult in Canada beacuse for a lot of places, there is only one flight a day (and often at random times)...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  10. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

Having been to nationals this past year, I will agree that it is not easy to travel to London.

And, considering that so many events have been held in London these past few years, I have to say that I was disappointed in the arena. It is really small and old compared to the new arena in Winnipeg. This is the world championship before the next Olympic Games - why limit yourself to such a small arena that as others have said, could probably sell out just by the support of southern Ontario alone.

It just doesn't make much sense to me. Something must have been really wrong with the bid from Winnipeg not to choose a new arena, downtown near shopping and hotels, a new airport, etc... Nevermind the fact that Winnipeg has hosted two major events since the 1970's - London has had two national championships in the past five years. Doesn't seem very fair that there was interest from Winnipeg and they were not chosen. I'm still tremendously disappointed in the decision.

11. Michael O'C

Michael O'C Member

Hopefully, I will be able to make it there.

12. Ina_Bauer

Ina_Bauer New Member

Have you tried to get a flight into or out of Winnipeg lately??? Not much choice of direct flights - most go through Toronto inthe East ......and both Air Canada and Westjet have limited service compared with flying into Toronto .. Remember London is just a couple of hours of highway driving to London, and every airline flies into Toronto from every country in the ISU world's. Getting to Winnipeg would have been a logistical nightmare for Skate Canada as every passenger/coach/competitior/judge would have to fly through Toronto or Montreal or Vancouver - in order to get to Winnipeg.

Sure London has some direct flights on Westjet - but at least Air Canada also flies the 15 minutes from Pearson to London airport as well if people don't want to bus it.

Just reread the previous post about Winnipeg and it's new airport. I've been through there recently and that is not a BIG airport. The lineup at Tim Horton's is usually so long that you can't get a coffee while waiting for connections. Compared to Pearson in Toronto (which has every store you can imagine), with a hotel attached and practically brand new, huge terminals......poor Winnipeg doesn't have a chance.

13. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

I just checked Westjet's website and they don't show a flight from Toronto to London. The new Porter Airlines doesn't either. Seems if you want to fly into London, it's Air Canada only.

14. i love to skate

How is this any different then having every passenger/coach/competitior/and
    judge fly into Toronto or Montreal to catch a connection to get to London?? Seems like the exact same thing to me...

As for flying into or out of Winnipeg from other places in Canada, there are direct flights from every major hub and many smaller cities.

Why are you comparing Pearson airport to Winnipeg's airport that was built in the 1960's? :confused: The new Winnipeg airport is slated to open soon and it will be gorgeous. Seems a non issue as the old airport would be a distant memory in 2013...

15. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Everyone has their own opinion about how difficult (or not) London is to get to, parking, hotels, etc. Not gonna argue about that (even though in my 30 years working from London and travelling all over Canada, I always found direct flights or flights with one stopover. Nuff said about that.)

But I will take issue with calling the arena "old". It opened in 2002, almost exactly 2 years before the MTS Centre in Winnipeg. That don't make it old. (Can you tell I'm offended?? :lol:)

16. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

Agreed. If people from elsewhere feel it is inconvenient for them to get there and stay home because of it, no big deal! It's going to sell out, and it doesn't matter to the ISU where those bodies come from.

17. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

My disappointment has more to do with the location of the arena in Winnipeg. Lots of hotels, restaurants and shopping very close by.

From what I understand, this isn't the case in London, right? Hotels are expensive enough for a week; adding cab fare every day because it's too far to walk is a bummer.

Oh whatever, unless I get hit by a bus between now and March 2013, I'll be going anyway. :lol:

18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Tourism London might disagree with you on that point....

19. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

why? If the hotels are probably gonna be sold out anyways and the restaurants around the rink will be packed, they'll still be happy

I, however, don't want most of those who attend worlds to be from Ontario/Canada. Doesn't go with the Worlds Championship spirit.

20. overedge

But those might not be tourists who will spend a few extra days, go explore outside the city, come back again for more fun, tell their friends how great London is, etc. etc. If it's all ISU/federation types and skaters who will see the inside of the arena and not much else, that probably isn't going to produce the tourism boost that events like this usually promise.

ETA: promises like this, from today's London Free Press:

21. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Fair enough!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

22. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

23. icedance21

icedance21 New Member

(((Winnipeg))) I'm disappointed too. I wish Skate Canada had thought outside the box, but apparently not. :rolleyes:

24. eusebius

eusebius Active Member

(Fake) London is an hour's drive/bus ride from me and I have relatives there :cheer2:

25. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

The last time Worlds was in Canada, it was in Calgary. By choosing London this time, it seems to me that they are trying to spread the wealth around the country.

26. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

It's still going to get the "international media exposure" and the "significant economic impact" no matter where the fans in the arena come from.

London has some major cleaning up to do if it expects return visits from those that attend based on the merits of the city alone. The only reason *I* keep going back repeatedly is because they keep hosting skating events!

27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Venues seem to be as subjective as skating itself - I was pleasantly surprised by London, and that was in January when few Canadian cities are at their best. I thought the city was very welcoming, the downtown area for the most part quite lively and fun, lots of places to eat/drink/party, walkable, etc.

I've been to events in other Canadian cities that were far less amenable for a fan attending a skating event.

28. jtpc

jtpc Active Member

London and the John Labatt Centre have certainly done well to host skating events. They've hosted Canadian figure skating championships in 2005 and 2010, the World synchro skating championships in 2007 and now Worlds in 2013. Also at the John Labatt Centre in 2005, London hosted (and won) the Memorial Cup championship which decides the best junior ice hockey team in Canada.

I thought we would have seen Worlds back in Canada in less than 7 years from the time it was last here, but I'm thrilled that Canada will host it in 2013! :biggrinbo

29. kimkom

kimkom Two Pot Screamer

I was just snooping around the John Labatt Centre on Google Earth Street View, and it seems to be close to all kinds of little restaurants, including a Tim Hortons down the street. :cheer2: Does anyone know what the neighborhood is like?

30. overedge

Possibly. If people who might want to go can't find hotel rooms or an airfare they can afford, the city is going to lose out on those potential visitors. And people from the area who already have somewhere to stay (like where they live, or with friends) aren't going to be spending money on hotel rooms or maybe not even on restaurants etc.