Canada bidding for 2013 world championship

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Bailey_, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

2. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

I thought World would be Europe considering next Olympics are going to be in Sochi. well... good luck with bidding

3. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

2011 worlds - Japan
    2012 worlds - Nice, France

I'm sure Sochi will have other high level international test events closer to the date. Vancouver hosted nationals and four continents in preparation for the 2010 Games.

Worlds has been in Europe in 2008, 2010, and 2012. Canada had been on a cycle for every 5 years. This will be 7 years between worlds, so it's time.

4. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Probably Euros.

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Well-Known Member

Official confirmation of Winnipeg’s bid :): http://www.cjob.com/Sports/Local/Story.aspx?ID=1203673

Quebec City would be my next choice (although the arena is crap). Wonder if this is the reason Skate Canada has delayed announcing next season’s locations for Skate Canada and Canadians until April?

6. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

Why not China??? or Korea?? lol
    China got their pairs in both senior and junior (who will be senior by then). And Korea, got Kim and mini Kim!! I wish Yuna stay upto Sochi and collect another Olympics Gold and multiply world title. Kim vs. Asada vs. Marai, that should make interesting battle.

7. lise

lise Well-Known Member

Worlds come to Winnipeg, i don't care the price, I am so there!!

8. Katta

Katta New Member

Please, calling all skate gods and anyone else who wants to listen: WINNIPEG!! We've had nothing here since Nationals in 2001 and that was at the old arena.

K

9. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

The article says that the Championships will be in the first week of March...seems earlier than usual.

10. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Ottawa or Toronto, please....direct flights from my local airport, 10 minutes from my house. I love Quebec City and the Chateau Frontenac...but that CocaCola or Pepsi Coliseum is the pitts, sorry to say...based on SkCanada 2007 trip there. Most uncomfortable seats ever for a major skating event. Located in the boonies, far from the main part of city.

11. lise

lise Well-Known Member

I disagree with Toronto or Ottawa. Honestly, Nationals lately have been in the east (London, Ottawa, Saskatchewan have had them twice within the last few years!) Vancouver had many events because of the Olympics, but here, nada. We get SOI and that's it. We've had nothing competition-wise in Winnipeg since 2001 unless you count World Team Challenge 2004. The hotels are walking distance to the arena, some even have access to the tunnels so you don't even need to go outside!

I am wondering if this is the reason why SC is delaying announcement of next year's Nationals. If Winnipeg does get the nod, perhaps they will have Nats here next year or the year after?

I've been dying for Nats to come back here; so if we get Worlds, chances are we will get Canadians before as well.

12. grimey

grimey bird is the word

Me too! Its about time we got something. I would be happy if we got Canadians back....

13. icedance21

icedance21 New Member

I honestly had thought that worlds would be held in Canada in 2011 or 2012, but Skate Canada may have been holding out for the just-before-the-Olympics worlds in 2013, since those worlds are generally considered the most desirable. It's time the world championships got back to Canada.

14. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

You've just had the Olympics. Stop being greedy. :p

15. icedance21

icedance21 New Member

Winnipeg and Toronto sound good to me.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  16. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Which city is easier to get to?

17. Megi

Megi Well-Known Member

Toronto :saint:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Winnipeg is much easier.
    London is a really nice city but it only has a small airport with limited service, so most people going there fly to Toronto and then take the bus or the train (or drive). It's about a two-hour trip.

19. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Or fly .. there are frequent flights from Toronto and Detroit.

20. TRAxel

TRAxel Active Member

I am going to be greedy and cheer for London! :cheer: Can never get enough events in your hometown!

21. Alixana

Ditto!!!

22. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Every time I've been to London I haven't been able to get a connecting flight from Toronto at a reasonable time or at a reasonable price. IME it's much easier to take the train or rent a car.

23. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

If Toronto gets it, can I book hotel room thru you? I'm sure you'll be there! ;)

24. Alixana

Agreed. It all depends when you want to get here. But a lot can change in 3 years given the federal government's plans for London airport. So I'm just going to keep dreaming about walking to the JLC for worlds! :D

25. gwagner

gwagner Member

Hey, if London gets it, that could be major incentive for V/M to stay in til then, and then of course Sochi the year later :))

26. Eman_fan

Eman_fan New Member

I would like to see it in Winnipeg because it is close to me (I'm in Saskatoon). I didn't go to Canadians in London because the cost to fly there was so high. Winnipeg has a decent size airport and it would only take me about 1 hour to fly there. My ultimate would be for Saskatoon to have worlds but I don't see that happening. Although we did just hold the world junior hockey championships and have added seating to CUC (the capacity is now around 14,000).

27. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

SLC 2002 with Washington the year after was greedy. At least we're waiting a few years. ;)

Absolutely.

I get the whole rah-rah share the wealth with the other provinces, but Toronto hasn't had an event in how long? Pffft, enough of London already. ;)

28. mocha-ice

mocha-ice Active Member

Well the last three worlds held in Canada were out West (Edmonton, Vancouver and Calgary), I think it's time that they came out east!

I could deal with London, but while I had a good time there for Nats, the area that the arena is is, well kind of sketchy... especially at night. I was there for Nationals in 2005 as well, and don't remember it being sketchy, so I will say things can change.

I heard that Benoit Lavoie wanted Quebec City to host Worlds, but they couldn't in 2012 because it interefered with the Quebec Junior Hockey team (who uses the Colisee)

29. luna_skater

luna_skater Well-Known Member

I believe Winnipeg's major airport renovation will be done by then, no? That should definitely help.

30. Bailey_

Bailey_ Guest

The new airport will definitely be open by then. The MTS centre is beautiful and easily connected with many downtown hotels. Volunteer base is good, crowds should be good, I think the biggest problem may be lack of near-by practice arenas. But, there is time so who knows what is being planned. I'm super excited because it is my hometown and it's been a long time since we've had a major event. I too would be happy with Skate Canada or Canadian nationals, but this would be awesome!!

grimey and (deleted member) like this.