Canada and Australia to collaborate as MOU signed

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Rae35, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Rae35

Rae35 Active Member

2. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Cool! Looks like a win-win situation for both countries!

3. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

4. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Sounds promising..........hopefully great news for Aussie winter sport atheletes, and Canadian summer sport atheletes. Two small countries at opposite ends of the spectrum working together. What a great idea.

5. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

How does Canada qualify as a "small" country in your view? It has the 2nd largest land mass, 11th largest GDP and even though it's not densely populated, still has 35 million people. I'm not sure I'd consider that small.

6. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

haha, I wouldn't call Australia "small" either. Sure we only have 20 million odd people, but it takes 5/6 hours to fly from one side to the other!

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  7. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

So. Australia has 23 million people, 12th largest GDP and a land mass as big as contiguous US. Guess Australia's not a small country either. Did you think it was?

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

When I saw little Brooklee Han at worlds I wanted to whisk her away and have her skate with Mervin Tran.

9. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

In comparison to our next door neighbor, and many Euro- countries, then we are small population wise.......

10. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

:lol: at the idea of Canada and Australia being in any way small countries. :lol:

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  11. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

I'm not the one who made the original remark.

12. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Canada and Australia are considered small in population density. It's really not that hard to grasp.

13. spikydurian

This is what I think Clairie meant all along not land mass. Interestingly, Australia's GDP is also pretty close to Canada's too.

14. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Weee! Maybe an Aussie on the podium someday! Wouldn't that be fun spiky?

15. alilou

That would be very fun!

16. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Thank you spiky. That is exactly what I meant. We have the north which is sparsely populated, although we have great land mass in Canada. I would think that certain parts of Australia (deserts) are pretty much the same.........although you Aussies have the better climate by far :lol:

17. spikydurian

20% desert and some claimed 40% inhabitable? Climate? Oh yes, I think I would look like a mummy most times during winter in Canada.:lol:

OMG.... I wouldn't mind that! Imagine a Kurt Browning/Elvis Stojo/Jeff Buttle/Patrick Chan Aussie figure skater equivalent! I will fly all over Australia just to watch HIM!

Emdee, you are brilliant. I never thought of that! Now can I ask that Mervin take up Aussie citizenship instead? :D Wouldn't be difficult. Three years' wait for citizenship, and we recognise dual citizenship too so Mervin didn't have to give up his Canadian citizenship.:cheer:

We both can have more Christine Nesbitts and Dale Begg-Smiths. Win-win situation. :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  18. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Having married a Canadian-born but raised mostly in New Zealand before returning to Canada, I think ties between our two countries is a win-win. Something to do with their lovely accents, no doubt ;-)

19. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

:confused:

20. misskarne

misskarne #408

Careful. Confusing Australia and NZ is liable to start a war! (No doubt based on rugby and cricket, we'll have a few brawls and then go down the pub together.)

21. alilou

Calling an Aussie a Kiwi or vice versa is a bit like calling a Canuck an American. Doesn't go down well :)

22. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Unless you are Russell Crowe or a Finn brother.

23. spikydurian

Or the late Dr Fred Hollows!

24. professordeb

I didn't mean for anyone to think I would confuse the two countries, I only meant that my husband lived in that region for a while and how much I like the accents from that part of the world. My apologies for making it seem like I didn't know the difference between the two. I have had it drilled into my head since we married, that there is a difference.

Maybe I should try again?

My husband was born in Toronto (Canadian born) whose parents went to live in NZ when he was 7 (giving him NZ citizenship).

As for the rest of what I was thinking ... maybe we can put that down to brain freeze moment? cause I'm not sure I know how to put that thought into better perspective. My apologies to all the Canucks, Kiwis and NZ that I may have offended. I truly didn't mean to do so.

25. alilou

And my apologies to you professordeb for being a nitpicky twit ;)
    Of course if you're married to a kiwi (even a canuck kiwi) you would know the difference between the two.

26. professordeb

Nitpik away. If it bothers me too much, I can always start a "dialogue" using PM :D

27. alilou

Oh I do hope I never offend you so much that it comes to that :slinkaway

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  28. professordeb

I doubt you'd ever intentionally offend me. No worries, it's all good. :D