Can you beat IBM supercomputer Watson at trivia?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by iloveemoticons, Feb 13, 2011.

1. iloveemoticons

iloveemoticons Well-Known Member

2. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Yes, but this game allowed me to go first no matter how long I took to answer, which isn't how Jeopardy works. For most of the answers I got right, Watson came to the same answer, and it may have done so faster than I did.

3. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

I beat it, too, for the same reason as Garden Kitty, although I was surprised that Watson actually got the wrong answer a few times.

This was my favorite:

Sing a song about one of these, a sailor's bag for small articles.

Watson's answer: Papa's Got a Brand-new Bag.

:lol::lol::lol:

4. jcopper

jcopper New Member

28 to 21.

I've always loved Jeopardy and my team won several quiz bowl tournaments in middle and high school, so I was confident, but I found out I was way out of practice. Still able to win though. I am interested in seeing how Ken Jennings does tomorrow.

I think a good strategy for the human players will be to buzz in immediately even if they're not sure and then use the few moments to narrow it down. Right or wrong, the humans can then judge the computer's response time.

5. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I can't wait to watch the Jeopardy episodes. Nova had a show last week showing how many years and how much effort went into developing Watson.

6. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

I lost 3 questions due to my inability to spell :(

7. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

39 to 18!!!!!!!!!!!!! I RULLLLEZZZ.

8. iloveemoticons

I totally bombed the bags category (although if it had been about handbags, maybe I would have done better :D).

9. rjblue

They are airing the show right now. My kids and I are watching on the edge of our seats. I haven't tried to spoil myself so I don't know who wins.

Quite a different studio audience from the usual- lots of grey haired men in suits.

10. iloveemoticons

Sounds like it should be interesting! I'm an hour behind here, but hoping for some hilariously off base answers from Watson!

11. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

I beat Watson 50-something to 5! And that was even when with my my of "ditty" was disallowed because I didn't realize that I had to retype "What is" that appeared in the answer box. Of course, the time thing gave me an advantage (and Watson answered the Elvis question, which I passed on), but some of Watson's "don't know" guesses were quite funny.

12. Matryeshka

I watched it--I loved Watson's second and third guesses. The competitors are interesting too--I get the feeling Ken Jennings is not taking this all that seriously and is quite happy to guess and have some fun with Watson, but I think Brad *really* wants to win.

13. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

What were the results today?

14. rjblue

They got through one board- Watson and Brad are tied with, I think, $5000 each, and Ken is in third with $2000.

Watson missed one when it answered "What are the Nineteen-twenties", after Ken had just guessed "The Twenties". And missed one when it just left out a qualifying word that a human would have known was necessary.

I agree that Brad really wants to win. Ken seems more laid back.

15. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I laughed really hard when Alex said "Ken already guessed 'The Twenties', Watson!" so disapprovingly. Bad Watson -- no soup for you! :lol:

16. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I was doing well at first but then lost horribly. I ended up with a negative number. Trivia is not my thing, obviously.

17. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Something like 58 to 4, me, but only because I could think about it longer than I would on real Jeopardy. So I'd probably trounce Watson in Trivial Pursuit if I got to go first, but when buzzer speed factors in it would be much tighter.

18. skatepixie

skatepixie Well-Known Member

We tied, 28 apiece.

19. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Watson is destroying Brad and Ken today.

20. rjblue

It is both sad and thrilling to watch a machine outthink a human.

The medical applications of this computer will be invaluable.

21. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

This is getting annoying. Watson is so far ahead of Brad and Ken only because of reaction time.

22. iloveemoticons

Ugh. I was really pulling for the humans, but I was kind of like :HA!: when Watson answered Toronto for the category "US cities".

23. Matryeshka

I swear, I have so many bad sci-fi/urban fantasy plots running through my head while watching this.

I really think they ought to have a half-second delay for Watson on the buzzer; the opposable thumbs are a real disadvantage. And no, I'm not being faceitious. I've also noticed that so far, the categories and questions are pretty much straight-up trivia. There's no before-and-after or punnery, which can be some of Jeopardy!'s most interesting, and hardest, questions. There are also no pop-culture questions, which I find odd. Not that Jeopardy! is known for open-ended questions exactly, :p , but the questions in terms of information asked is pretty simplistic. Lots of times, especially on episodes of Jeopardy! where the question hinges on just one very specific part of the answer are rare. Probably because Watson has missed EVERY one. The most notable was the final jeopoardy today where Watson put more importance on WWII hero/battle than US battle, but there were at least three others like that question that Watson didn't even attempt to answer.

Also, Watson (at least not that we've so far) can't hear a piece of music or look at visual cues to answer a question, which is also a big part of Jeopardy, especially in DJ.

I think this is interesting, and I definitely see the importance/possibilities in how everything from health care to traffic control could benefit from Watson, but still not convinced that it's a "thinking" machine. Jeopardy! so far seems remarkably skewed towards Watson winning. Ken looked kinda pissed towards the end. Brad looked ready to go total Surya 1994 Worlds on Watson. Even Trebek seemed annd.oye

24. Skittl1321

I think Ken and Brad knew what they were getting into so can't be annoyed that the game has been sort of altered (no audio clues, beating a computer buzzing in) the $$ award is based on placement- right? Not their actual earnings against Watson.

I thought the Toronto answer was really interesting but I'm even more interested in how the wagers are determined. The computer knew it didn't know, and yet the category seemed easy.

I'm also kind of interested in how IBM convinced jeopardy to let them use the show as a giant commercial. (not that any of their products go to the general public anymore). Then again I haven't watched in years, and now I'm dvring it, so I guess it works both ways.

25. Sally1214

Sally1214 Active Member

Agreed. Humans don't have a chance because they cannot react as quickly as the computer. Kind of took the zip out of the show for me.

26. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

Yes, I was having visions of Ken and Brad sneaking into Watson's room and going all "Dave Bowman in '2001'" on Watson's switches and circuits.

27. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

"What are you doing, Ken?"
    "What is, reenacting HAL's final scene from 2001?"

CynicElle and (deleted member) like this.
  28. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

:lol: :EVILLE: Watson must die!!!!

"Look Ken, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over. "

"I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Ken. Ken, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid.

[cue in chorus of "Daisy"]

29. Skittl1321

Here is an interesting article about Watson's ability to ring in.

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/02/ibm-watson-speed/#

The creators don't think the computer has an advantage, because it has to wait for the actual light that triggers the ability to ring in, while humans (and he's competiting against the best ones) will listen to Alex's speech cadence to determine when the light will go on and time it. Also, humans can ring in if they think they'll be able to come up with the answer in just a few seconds after Alex calls their name, while Watson must have determined with enough certainty the answer before he rings in.

Apparently the machine also has a mechanical button to press, like the players do. The original version sent an electronic signal back to the jeopardy computer- which did give it an advantage.

I also thought it was interesting that the explanation for the "Toronto" gaft was that Watson no longer considered the category title in his answer. The programmers didn't have them do that because not all questions correlate directly to the subject name. Of course, humans will consider both the subject and the question. (The example given was the category "State Capitols" but then the question was "This river in New York's capitol, blah, blah" so if Waston computed off the subject, he wouldn't come up with Hudson"
    It's explained in this article: http://arstechnica.com/media/news/2...dvantage-as-it-crushes-humans-in-jeopardy.ars

30. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Great articles; thanks for posting them.

I do think IBM ought to bask in the glow for what they've accomplished with Watson, just as the Deep Blue team got the same kind of publicity for the series of chess matches. These are huge endeavors, unimaginably hard, taking years and years, and really pushing us much further toward machine intelligence. Alan Turing proposed the Turing Test way back in 1950, and we're still not there yet. I used SAIL's Parry program back in the seventies, and we thought it would not be all that long before "real" AI would be ubiquitous. It turned out to be a much, much harder problem than most anticipated. We're doing pretty well on some domain-specific AI programs -- there was one twenty some odd years ago that did a better job picking out suitable antibiotics than expert doctors did -- but more general purpose/free form AI has been much, much harder to approach. No matter who wins tonight, good for Watson and good for IBM, and good for the players who agreed to participate.