Can Russia's figure skaters fulfil Putin's hopes and expectations?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Maofan7, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

New article entitled 'Russia’s figure skating reputation on thin ice'. Reads:-

So, what are Russia's medal prospects for Sochi 2014?

2. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

One team medal (not gold) and one pairs medal (likely gold).

3. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

i don't see great results in Figure Skating for them. Ladies seem weak. I am not among the "plushy believers" I think he's spending more time injured then training and it seems like every time he ramps up the training something 'breaks' (I think Evan may have this problem too. It's just hard to keep your body willing to fly through the air and land on that thin blade as you age :))

Team medal might even be gold since I don't see any team with 4 great "options" For the US I think the glaring weakness is pairs but our men and ladies can have bad days.
    Canada on paper may be the Gold winner, but it all depends.

Japan doesn't even have a pairs team do they?

Not sure who else can field an entire team that would be competitive so Russia has as a good shot there as anyone IMHO.

4. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I'll add to Cherub's prediction: an outside chance for a woman's singles medal (likely bronze) and a dance medal (likely bronze), IF lucky. They do have the 'home momentum' behind them, so 'likely bronzes' are more likely for the Russians in Russia.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

6. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Sochi is not only about figure skating. Even if Russia doesn't do well in fs in Sochi (by 'well' I mean scoring medals in every fs event), Russia is one of the sports powerhouse. As a whole, Russia will do very well.
    As for fs, the pairs gold definitely belongs to Russia I still think they have a chance to medal (not gold) in ladies and ice dancing. Matter of how others perform and how far the Russians will improve between now and then. Their men didn't perform well .. (unless Plushenko returns).:D

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

On paper, Canada has the team gold, and Russia could get a lesser medal. Their weakness is men. Plushenko has been a big question mark due to his injuries for a long time. I would say Russia and USA are roughly equal, so they could get silver or bronze in any order. Couple years ago the projection was that the Russian babies Liza, Adelina, Polinas would grow up and dominate the senior scene. That totally fell apart this year. Instead, USA and Canada seem to have promising young ladies.

When you compare with the USSR days, today's Russian FS is not even close. They are not even close to what they were 7-10 years ago. In 2006 they almost swept the OGMs in the 4 disciplines. Only Irina let them down by not winning the gold. From that point on it was all downhill. In 2010 they won ONE medal- Plushenko's silver. Their well dried up long ago.

I don't see it changing in less than one year. Russia's chances for medal may be in pairs only, and not necessarily the gold. If they want to get to the top of FS world, they may have to do what the old USSR did- find kids with talent, and pour money into their development to become Olympic champions. It' not going to happen in 2014 and not even in 2018. We are looking at really long term here.

8. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Canada by far has the strongest team with probably Russia in a close second, but I think it's possible for Russian ladies and dance to get a medal.

9. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Was the ice rink in Guatemala a permanent one or just a temporary one for Plush to skate on? Putin might cancel the Olympics since he sees that his hopes and expectations are melting.;)

10. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The only likely medal is v/t gold so that's would be better then Vancouver was. Singles no; dance no, team maybe but so likely to be Canada, US, and then Russia but that's bronze and doesn't count.

11. caseyedwards

If you look at all the world championships of winter sports it's looking like "worse than Vancouver " is entirely possible.

12. caseyedwards

Sure 2010 was bad and like everyone wants to erase d/s and their od but they won bronze! Plushenko was almost their only medal.

13. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

There is no reason B/S can't win a medal and so can the ladies and pairs if they skate well.

14. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

As it is for many people, or so I'm told. :shuffle:

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

If Russia wins men's hockey, will anything else matter?

16. caseyedwards

Very good point! Probably not at all!

17. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

I would say that's a bit of an over-exaggeration. Liza & Adelina didn't have a great competition at Worlds, but Adelina has the 4th highest score of the season & Liza's SB is still 4 points higher than Gracie's and 12 points higher that Kaetlyn's. A lot will come down to how well all of the younger girls can handle their nerves, but I think the Russian girls are the ones who have the best chance of sneaking onto the podium if one of Mao, Carolina or Yuna doesn't perform.

Russia also has a very strong shot at bronze in dance with B/S or even I/K if they regroup well over the summer, V/T are pretty much a lock for gold or silver & if B/L can avoid the injuries that have disrupted this season they could also be challenging for a medal. The only event where they haven't a hope is men.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  18. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

Russia has good chances to medal at every event, Not only the Team event ...

PAIRS :

Good chances for Gold (V\T) AND another medal (B\L)

LADIES :

We'll have to see the progress next year but one of them could come to Olympics as the European champion so
    It's a Medal possibility, Sotnikova can score big !

ICE DANCE :

Bronze, Signed, Sealed and delivered imo

MEN :

You could only talk about "what if" here ... But if you're talking about possibilities, Plushenko's score from Europeans skated only a year ago
    Would've got him the Bronze medal at worlds this year, And he didn't even try a Quad or any level 4 elements in that SP
    And it's Olympics in Russia, And it's Plushenko, And the Issue of giving a clean consistent performance is on a very vocal Debate right now, again, Plushenko,
    If he feels decent he will go, Forget Gold ( he wouldn't though ;) ) Just making it on to that Podium would be a good enough gift from him to Russia imo,
    And one hell of an accomplishment .

The team Event actually is excactly what he needs, He could go contribute a great score, And like he did in Europeans this year kinda
    "Check out the field", See where he stands, Then he either says "i wanted to give pride to team Russia" and seats the rest out with injury,
    While another Russian man who was aware of this possibility competes in Singles, Or he goes and gets that Medal ;)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  19. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Team: Silver or Gold. Lower would be a huge surprise
    Men: Nothing doing, unfortunately.
    Ladies: Doubtful, bronze at best.
    Pairs: Gold. Period. Doubtful B/L will get bronze, but it could happen.
    Dance: Fighting for bronze

20. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Yes, probably..

off topic, but very intersting news: Sochi Organizers Are Stockpiling Snow, Just in Case ( 500,000 cubic meters of snow!!!! ) http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/26/s...pics-in-sochi-russia.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  21. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

oops, wrong thread

22. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

A season can make a huge difference so I think we will have to wait til the end of Europeans and 4ccs to understand where each teams and athletes stand. This year D/R made a claim for the Bronze medal, B/S in dance. So the medals are still up in the air, it will difficulty to start challenging for gold in men's by a guy other than Plushy(even that is hard). Apart from that Ice dance is hard for them to win gold medal in, though stranger things have happen. Medal is definitely a possibility in ladies for russians

23. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Liza's and Adelina's SB scores are from Europeans where their only competition was Kostner, so the pressure was a lot less than it was at Worlds and would be at the Olympics. Euros and 4CC scores tend to be a bit inflated anyway. Even if one of Mao, Carolina or YuNa are subpar, there are Murakami, Wagner, Gold, Li and Osmond who finished above the Russian ladies at Worlds. All of those would have to skate poorly as well. That's a lot of IFs.

24. AlexDSSF

AlexDSSF Member

I personally despise Tsar Vladimir Putin with the fire of a thousand suns. I hate it when human rights-bereft countries use the biggest sports/cultural events in the world to legitimize, indirectly or directly, their regimes (the Olympics, the World Cup, Eurovision, Miss Universe/World, etc.). Which is why I had reservations about Beijing 2008 and now have reservations about Sochi 2014.

25. lala

lala Well-Known Member

OH MY GOD! :)

26. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

Can Russia's figure skaters fulfil Putin's hopes and expectations?

Yeah, maybe they can, IF they are left alone to do it rather than have constant politiking (such as sending your 5th place man to Worlds!) and threats of "being dumped" hanging over your head for one bad result. If you keep up a constant huge pressure, don't be surprised if your skaters don't do very well.

27. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Yes, I had the same thought. Men's hockey is the main event and they had the best team going into Vancouver.

28. Eladola

Eladola Active Member

I would argue that if Sotnikova goes clean with everything in Sochi, She will beat all of those those with clean skates
    Not sure about Gold yet though, If she handles next season well she should get an inflation

I have reservations about Sochi as well, In regard to the Anti gay laws in major cities in Russia,
    I AM trying to be more critical about it though for now, As opposed to just hateful .

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

30. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

"Tense Moment Between Madame Olympe Maxime and Dobie During Planning for Upcoming Triwizard Tournament"

Alixana and (deleted member) like this.