Can Radford & Duhamel close the gap on the top pairs?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Maofan7, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

New article on Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford. Reads:-

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I also posted a second Duhamel/Radford article published by northernlife.ca (includes video) in the Canadian Pairs thread earlier today:
    Excerpt:

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  3. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Sure S/S have made mistakes and have not always given strong performances (particularly this past season with Aliona's illness [and/ or some injuries] limiting their training time, and their music and costume choices not panning out). However, I've never witnessed S/S falling apart in the sense of becoming unhinged. They generally always pull themselves together to finish strong whenever they make mistakes. Aliona and Robin under Steuer's tutelage have been the gold standard in pairs skating practically since they first came on the scene. As has been said, S/S and S just don't get enough credit.

You think Tatiana and Max "under-performing" is gonna take many points away, particularly in Sochi? Didn't happen last season, and the odds are that it won't this coming season. In any case, I wouldn't bet on V/T "under-performing" leading up to the Olympics, and particularly not in their home arena. They had a poorly conceived sp in 2011-2012, and performed it sloppily at 2012 Worlds, but did you happen to see how they performed their fp in Nice under tremendous pressure???

Yes, yes let's light candles in hopes every skater stays healthy. :) Let's pray everyone's strong enough for the battle to be joined on the ice instead of in our or the judges' minds. And well, Robin S ain't that old either! Heh, heh.

Yeah sure Zhao had injuries leading up to 2006 Olympics, but it was more Totmianina/ Marinin skating while Russian, and the Zhangs coming back from a :eek: fall to mesmerize perplexed judges that happened to Shen/ Zhao in 2006. And in any case, Shen/ Zhao and Pang/ Tong happened to S/S at 2010 Olympics. I don't feel sorry for Zhao, nor for Robin. Huge talent, admirable tenacity, huge accomplishments from both of them.

BTW, Duhamel/ Radford are the real deal. Their 2012 Canadian Nationals fp sent chills up my spine. That experience and those magical moments they shared with us are pure and joyful evidence of what figure skating is all about at its essence!!!

4. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I like them, but am I the only one annoyed with how articles always focus on Meagan? I just want to tell her to let Eric speak or get some spotlight once and a while.

5. aftershocks

Awww ..., they seemed pretty equal and well-balanced as a team during their TSL interview. Mayhap Eric has a less outgoing personality, but no less interesting. They certainly seem to understand themselves and each other very well. :)

6. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Many of the articles are published in Duhamel's hometown paper. There were quite a few articles about Radford composing the music for their 2013-14 short program that were posted in the Canadian Pairs thread (posts #67-70), for example: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-and-updates&p=3884433&viewfull=1#post3884433

May 2nd article titled "Pair uses Radford's original score to pay tribute; Skater penned music following death of coach [Paul] Wirtz in 2006" (originally posted in the Program Music/Choreography thread): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130429&content_id=46114776&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    Link to the thread on D/R's joint interview with TSL before Worlds: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...Duhamel-and-Radford&highlight=Radford Duhamel

7. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

8. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

Thanks to one and all for the links to the articles. My BiL and Sister were here all weekend and when that happens, Good Luck seeing anything on the news, as he flips between five different broadcasts in the space of a minute and yet seems to think he's well informed. Anyway....Knowing MCTV as I do, it wouldn't shock me if they didn't cover it. That station's gone so downhill, it's sad.

So thanks so much for those links!!! :)

9. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I think you are completely re-writing history here. Zhao had injuries is an understatement - he reptured his achilles tendon and they did not compete for a year. Their first competition back was the Olympic games - he was still in such pain he couldn't pick in properly in the back pivot in the death spiral. He was injured and they didn't skate how we all knew they could have done had he been injury free and had their training and health not been disrupted. I'm hardly a fan of Tomianina and Marinin but to suggest that they won because they are Russian, rather than because they were the best (if somewhat boring) at those games is ridiculous.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Who doesn't give them enough credit? They have dominated the field for some time and have four world titles as well as numerous other medals. For years only S&Z could best them, and P&T at the 2010 Olympics and Worlds. Fans appreciate them a lot and you don't hear much complaining that S&S with mistakes placed above a cleaner D&R.

Of course now V&T pose a threat, but S&S had a healthy dominance in the field for quite some time.

T&M had that competition won before they even skated. There was no way the Zhangs could beat them. And S&Z didn't skate their best, I don't remember any argument that they were robbed of the silver.

To be honest, I find them aesthetically lacking. They don't have a lot of finesse and aren't particularly well-matched physically. IMO M&M-T are artistically superior and have more of the wow factor.

Nonetheless, you can't deny the spunk and determination of D&R. The third spot in the world has been open for some time, and they just stepped up and took it.

But Pairs is a underwhelming at present, IMO.

11. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I saw D&R perform last month at SOI and I was really amazed at how their artistry has improved and how they are making strides in matching lines. Huge improvement from Canadians in January. Underhill and Martini were also a team who was not well-matched physically, but time and training solved that problem. This is a team that shouldn't be underestimated.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  12. poths

poths Well-Known Member

This should read "Canadian federation buy the block for D & R". Horrific Politiking on their behalf since the season started. Puke.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Is this how you feel about the Kanadian Konspiracy? Or were you signing off, like in an e-mail? PeterG.

14. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Sorry to disappoint you poths, but I'm just a plain old figure skating fan with no great expectations, but who is nevertheless impressed by the strides made by D&R.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  15. aftershocks

Yes, I realize that Zhao suffered a serious injury and did not compete for a long while, but I didn't recall the particulars so thanks for clarifying what happened to them in more detail that 2005-2006 season. However, Totmianina/ Marinin, however boring, were (not dissimilar to V/T) skating while Russian leading up to the 2006 Olympics and thus in the long Russian pairs tradition received a lot of credit and support from the judges. It's unfortunate that Zhao was not at full strength, and so the battle was not effectively joined to see what the judges would have done with stellar performances by Shen/ Zhao vs zzzzz T/M. OTOH, I give T/M lots of credit for coming back from the near disastrous, potentially career-ending fall Tatiana experienced one season during an overhead lift.

It would be cool to see both V/T and S/S at their absolute best, and see what the judges would do in 2014. But since Sochi is the venue, if both teams skate out of this world, it's hard to envision judges not edging V/T for the victory.

And, back on topic, good luck to D/R ... their desire and hard work shows every time they take the ice.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  16. liv

liv Well-Known Member

They've improved so much since last year, but I still think the other Canadians M-T/M, with the right program and skate, have more potential against the top 2 teams....but i think the politicking is definitely for D/R.

17. aftershocks

^^ Maybe that's a discussion for a whole 'nother thread re comparing D/R vs M-T/M. Both teams are fairly on a par, although in a few respects it seems D/R edge out as a bit stronger. M-T/M had beautifully choreographed programs this past season, but I personally don't think they have "more potential" than D/R against the top 2 teams. As far as potential vs the top 2 pairs teams in the World, both Canadian teams are more likely about even, with D/R having a slight edge and especially so I suppose adding in the politics factor.

18. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

I agree with this. I loved MT&M's programs this past season and they skated really well. I think D&R have the technical edge, and the Cdn fed politicking as well. Too bad, though they are improving and I too acknowledge their spunk and determination.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  19. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I much prefer Kirsten and Dylan. They have more polish, IMO.

hanca and (deleted member) like this.
  20. geoskate

geoskate Well-Known Member

I like them both, I think they are both very strong teams who have both improved dramatically in the last two seasons, and I refuse to have to take sides. Why does this board so often degenerate into skater A vs. skater B?

Furhermore, some of the posts make it sound like Duhamel/Radford got the bronze at worlds, and Moore-Towers/Moscovitch got nothing. They placed 4th in the world, for goodness sakes!!! It's not a medal, but it's still a huge achievement and a strong vote of affirmation by the judges at worlds.

Really and (deleted member) like this.
  21. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

What other possible way does one have to release repressed rage?

:EVILLE:

22. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:lol: So that fans from both sides can :argue: and :lynch: each other! :drama:sells.

23. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I'll take a wild guess in suggesting that perhaps it is because some prefer Skater A, while others prefer Skater B.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  24. aftershocks

Like I said, seems as if heated comparisons are a topic for a whole 'nother thread, most likely in Trash Can. ;)

Both teams are enjoyable to watch, and surely make all Canadians proud.

25. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I admire both Canadian teams very much, with the edge (my personal preference) going to M-T-M. Wishing both teams great success in the Olympic season & beyond.

26. blueglass

blueglass New Member

I don't get the comments about politicking for D&R - they were the repeat Cdn champions so therefore earned the usual PR that goes along with the title. Prior to Canadians no one is going to promote a team that didn't even make the national team the previous year. Third and fourth place finishes at Worlds means the two teams can be viewed pretty much as equals and make both teams serious challengers for Olympic medals. I loved MT&M's programs last year which helped their overall look tremendously, but two programs doesn't make them more artistic that D&R. D&R have an edge on the technical side, and have made great strides in their presentation, but MT&M are also very strong technical skaters. If both teams skate well at Cdns. I wouldn't even want to guess the winner. The Olympics is always a horse of a different colour, but I think both MT&M and D&R have earned the hype.

Restore Auto-Saved Content

27. aftershocks

^^ Right on.

28. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

No 'getting' to be had. Cries of "politiking" is just a way to express frustration with the success of a skater they don't like or enjoy watching.

When someone can lay out a skater's program and insightfully walk me through step by step why PCS and TES were scored incorrectly with regular reference to IJS then I sit up and take notice. (PS "I just don't feel an emotional connection to their skating" doesn't qualify as insightful analysis)

Until then...keep scrolling...

29. butyrskafanatic

butyrskafanatic Member

I like D&R but I think they will have a hard time mantaining a medal spot in the Olympics in Russia. The Russian teams and other top Europeans will be more favored in the scoring and Duhamel & Eric less than at Worlds in Canada. I am not saying they didnt deserve their medal, just that location makes a big difference when alot of skaters are close in a number of ways, including the energy of your performance level. They arent beating Volosozhar and Trankov unless they fall about 6 times. Silver will probably be the Germans. That leaves only the bronze available and 2 very strong Russians teams left, some strong Chinese, all going for that too.

30. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:respec:

Last edited: May 27, 2013
    KatieC and (deleted member) like this.