Can Kevin Reynolds overtake Patrick Chan as Canadian Number 1?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Maofan7, Feb 16, 2013.

1. lurvylurker

lurvylurker Active Member

I third this. IMO Kevin has a great deal of talent and drive, but hasn't been given the guidance to properly hone his technique and develop his own artistry and style. I sometimes wince when I watch him, imagining what he could have developed into if he had spent time with a coach like Orser.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. halffull

halffull The most wonderful time of the year :)

This!

As far as Kevin beating Patrick. I doubt it will happen but in life I've learned to "never say never" ;)

3. starryxskies

starryxskies New Member

Actually both Dai and Yuzuru saw his Canadian Nationals performance, they both mentioned it in the press conference before the SP began. They wouldn't have mentioned it like that if they ruled him out. They were definitely aware of his capabilities before the 4CC FP

4. Skater91

Skater91 Member

I would pay to see that.

5. Mevrouw

Mevrouw living every minute

On some days, depending on how each skates, yes. Who expected him to beat Daisuke and Hanyu and win 4CC?

The potential Men's podium field just got bigger and more complicated.

6. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Yes.

7. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

From Kevin's Facebook on February 13th:
    "Back home! Thank you all for your incredible support. The last few days in Osaka passed by like a dream... There have been times in my career where even I doubted myself, but throughout all the ups and downs, I remember all the people that believed in me. You gave me the strength to believe in myself, and now I have achieved something far greater than I could have ever expected. I will never forget this week. Now, back to training, and on to the World Championships in Canada! I can't wait!! ヾ(*’▽’*)"

And a cute pic:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....479538506000.248456.509846000&type=1&theater

8. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

What a well spoken young man!!!!

9. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Hope that not happen. Chan may (yet) lack the charisma of Yag or Plushy, the appeal of Lambiel, or the raw force of Joubert, but he has every quality to be one of the best ever, if not already one.

Reynolds could beat Chan on a good day. He’s a jumper, and he picked up the quad way earlier than other men. But until he improves on skating, speed, technique, consistency, and lower body strength and balance, I don’t see him overtaking Chan as a better skater. Never seen a filiform-physiqued man become a men’s champion, either.

10. quartz

quartz turn around turn around it's on the other side

Kevin needs to wear that hat all the time.

11. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Maybe he can get cast in a production of Newsies ;)

12. SueSue

SueSue Active Member

Not anywhere near the top men. A fluke? Yes.

13. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I think I'm starting to get that there is no such thing as a fluke. On the day of the competition you do what needs to be when others do not. To say that all the skaters who have had one bright shining moment in their career are "flukes" is insulting. Very few people can hit the podium almost every time.

hanca, orientalplane, Sylvia and 3 others like this.
  14. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

This.

15. luenatic

luenatic Well-Known Member

Have you seen/heard of a skater named Scott Hamilton?

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

This was the first FS from Reynolds I remember in a very long time (if not the first ever?) without any <.

17. starryxskies

starryxskies New Member

But there are skaters that hit the podium every time. This is what separates the top tier with the ones playing catch. Reynolds, I believe, is still among the group playing catch. I think he's moved up to the ranks of Amodio, he's been fairly consistent as of very recent. They have the ability to do well and podium if and when the top tier skaters falter. But when everyone is on their A-game, they have no chance at all.

I do agree with you for these one shot competitions that skaters just need to do better compared to their peers on the day that it matters - which isn't necessarily a fluke so to speak. But as audiences, it's hard to accept when the top favourites have a big melt down because we know they are capable of more and "better" on average.

18. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Yes. And like Nagasu, I think his fate is almost always going to be at the hands (or mood) of the caller.

When I think of him, I immediately think of popped axels. Is this a fair impression?

19. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Quite a few when she was throwing 3/3 combo's left and right..

20. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

As a one off only if Patrick has a really bad competition .. permanently only if Patrick retires. But Kevin has to stay healthy as well.

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

... and Time magazine put her on the cover of its Olympic issue.

22. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I think it's more like Sarah Hughes = Yuzuru Hanyu and Kevin Reynolds=Yoshie Onda.

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I can't think of anybody else with an axel technique worse than him. Fleur Maxwell perhaps.

24. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

One word: NO

25. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Haven't read this thread, just answering the ? posed in the title, which is 210% Y-E-S!. nuff said. :hat1:

Sincerely,

Nadine White (whom noticed it from the 1st time I saw him skate in the Fall of 2009)

ps: check out his "Over the Rainbow" exhibition skate from a few seasons ago. To me this is Kevin's signature skate. It's him....

26. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

27. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Gao? Lipinitskaya? :p

28. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ From the past, Lipinski, and also Lysacek's axel technique isn't all that, but he tended to get the job done in competition.

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Nah they're bad but not that terribad, IMO. ;)

30. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Is that new eyeshadow?