Can Kevin Reynolds overtake Patrick Chan as Canadian Number 1?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Maofan7, Feb 16, 2013.

1. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

As long as Patrick competes...no.

2. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Agreed, I saw Kevin skate live for the first time this past January and was not overly impressed. Patrick, despite his flawed program, was very impressive. He was so fast.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Can he? Sure. Patrick would have to keep declining and Kevin would have to keep improving but there's nothing to say that won't happen. Could it happen by Worlds? That seems more doubtful. It's less than a month away.

Though Kevin's score at 4CCs was a lot closer to Patrick's scores on the GP than Kevin's scores on the GP were and therefore it seems a lot more likely than it has been up until now.

4. sequins

sequins Active Member

If Patrick misses the bus. I like Kevin but I don't expect this 'winning streak' to continue.

5. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Kevin can beat Patrick if Patrick falters and Kevin lands tons of quads, but no one will ever consider Reynolds to be a better SKATER than Chan, even if say Reynolds somehow managed to medal or place ahead of Chan at the Olympics. Chan would still be number 1, it might just mean he'd be remembered as a skater who never delivered his best at the Olympics, like Joubert.

6. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I don't know that even if Reynolds were to beat Chan in London it would make Reynolds, Canada's #1 male skater. Chan is not having his most consistent season, so if Reynolds some how does manage to pass him, the best result would probably be that it will be a wake-up call to Patrick to get a real figure skating coach. :p

In Reynolds' defense, he should be entering Worlds with a lot of confidence. Plus his speed isn't THAT awful. (He certainly isn't slower than Sandhu, who I always adored, but could never figure out how he got enough speed to ever land more than a single jump. :lol: ) And Reynolds does get decent pop into his jumps - but he certainly doesn't cover the ice like a lot of the other big jumpers out there. I do think he's come a long way over the last few seasons in trying to improve his artistry however, so I give him credit for that - and other than his sheepdog hair, I always believed that was one of the main criticisms people had with his skating. I can't believe I'm the only person who has seen at least some improvement over the last few years. ;)

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Reynolds was just really lucky to skate one free program where a number of his jumps weren't cheated over 1/4. It's not very likely to happen again.

His jump technique is atrocious and seeing judges give him +1s and +2s for his quads was just :rolleyes:.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  8. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Sylvia you are correct, Kevin was humble and realistic in his assessment of his victory. The most he did was said it helped his confidence going into worlds and helped change other's perceptions of him, no prediction he was headed to the podium. He even acknowledged that better skaters than he had a bad day. I believe I recall his coach saying that if any skater had those kinds of lofty thoughts for worlds, they would best be kept private. This was not a self aggrandizing interview, but one expressing some realistic happiness at what he had achieved.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

So instead, she said them :p

I agree that Kevin was very humble and realistic (which hasn't always been the case with his comments on some of his placements in the past). It's too bad his coach can't be the same way.

10. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I thought McLeod's quotes were reasonable -- for her -- this time:

11. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Remember when nobody thought Jeff Buttle could be beaten at the national level and Chan took the title in 2008. Granted, Jeff's free program wasn't clean but at the time, Buttle was the reigning master of CoP, too.

12. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I don't think either of the articles are proclaiming him to be a world podium contender, but rather saying that he could be. Kevin did in fact beat two of the world's best skaters. There have been plenty of times when the top skaters didn't skate their best and it came down to who made the least mistakes as no one went clean.

Yes, Kevin's win was fluke and the stars lined up for him. But he earned it fair and square, more fair and square than Sandhu's GPF win over Plush when Plush lost the title due to a zayack.

Kevin may never again have such a perfect skate but he will always be the 2013 FCC Men's Champ.

And I hope he gets some confidence from the event. If Patrick doesn't defend his title at World's he'll need to improve upon his 12th place finish last season for us to get three men on the Olympic team.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

What I find extremely frustrating is that Reynolds probably could have been really successful with a proper coach. Who would work on improving his basics and fixing his jumps. But no, he's stuck with McLeod and all he can hope for with her is fluke performances like the one at 4CC where he'll stand up on his jumps and where the cheats will be less than 1/4. He deserves better.

14. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Sylvia, I'd agree with you if it wasn't for this one:
    If the story had quotes from other people reflecting the same opinion, I might believe that "people" are actually "saying" such a thing. But as it is, especially with Reynolds' past inconsistencies, it sounds IMO like the usual delusional hot air, or pre-Worlds politicking.

15. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

If Reynolds overtakes Chan as Canadian #1 then I'll not so shyly pretend I'm no longer Canadian....:scream:

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I doubt it. I think Patrick would pretty much have to implode.

17. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I would rather Sarah Hughes came back and won a second Olympic Gold Medal:scream:

18. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

This.

19. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Both Dai and Yuzuru singled out Kevin before 4Cs or at least before the FP as one whose strengths they had observed with respect. I doubt they think less of him now.

I was amazed by KR at 4Cs. The ugly duckling has turned into a soulful and brilliant performer. Who knows who will slip on the ice next but at the moment his trajectory is upward and Patrick's I am not so sure about. I am hoping he will kindly delay his dominance of the sport until after Sochi, however. :p

Mevrouw and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! Stop scaring me! :drama:

21. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

I think Kevin suffers a bit from the perception of how bad his skating used to be. I've certainly done my share of Kevin bashing, from his ridiculous styling to his non-existent choreography and poor skating skills. But to be quite honest, looking at his skating today it's clear he has spent a lot of time on fixing those things. His long program especially has complex, musical choreography. His posture is good (has a beautifully arched back) and he has some lovely port de bras. Even his spins are pretty good. Yes, he has a long way to go, but he's come a long way as well. When I tried to look at his program objectively, instead of seeing it through a "Kevin Reynolds is all jumps and terrible skating" lens, I started to appreciate him much more.

Do I think he's on the level of Patrick's skating? No. Nor Daisuke's or even Hanyu's. But if he knocks it out of the park at worlds, he deserves to be up there. Part of being a good skater is being a good competitor. Worlds and the Olympics are not a lifetime achievement award or even an indicator of who is the best figure skater in the world. It's who is better on that day. God knows we've seen that proved time and time again in skating.

millyskate and (deleted member) like this.
  22. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

ITA. He is not a powerful jumper nor skater. I could never watch his skating twice.. so boring and nothing is impressive. His lack of power in his skating, height on his jump and technique on his jumps reminds me of a lady's skating.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  23. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

In McLeod's defense ( :::: looking around :::: who just said that?? )
    She has to be talking up her skater to help fuel the perception that he's coming on strong. Publicly understating his skills and results wouldn't really serve much purpose.
    I just hope behind the scenes she's telling Kevin he's got a ways to go, for his sake.

24. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

This.

25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Is it okay if I use " 'You skate like a girl' - ks777" as my new signature?

26. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

I wouldn't say it's a case of 'Can he' but 'Should he' because... I'd have to say no. He has jumps, granted, but that's it. Not the same quality of skating, speed, edges, expression. I say this as no real fan of pchan -- I can appreciate the prettiness of his skating without liking it. I just don't want to live in world where none of the artistic and performance parts are pushed aside for jumping beans like Kevin and Max. Had Patrick been at 4cc, and skated clean (or even just mostly clean with the way that comp went) he would have beat the crap out of Kevin in PCS alone.

27. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Don't let Tonya Harding see that. She'd run you over with her pick - up truck.

28. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Can Kevin Reynolds overtake Patrick Chan as Canadian Number 1?

Definetely not! Reynolds was extremely lucky at 4CC. He cannot compete against e.g Chan, Takahashi, Hanyu or Fernandez if they manage about 80 % of their potential.

29. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

deleted (double posting)

30. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

That's life! :respec: