Can Kevin Reynolds overtake Patrick Chan as Canadian Number 1?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Maofan7, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

New article on Kevin Reynolds entitled, "Canada's Kevin Reynolds picks up figure skating torch." It reads:-

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  2. Proustable

Proustable New Member

3. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

No, definitely not. That's kind of laughable, really. And McLeod is as delusional as ever about where Kevin will place if any of multiple men ahead of Kevin put down two decent programs. Patrick could fall twice and still probably place ahead of Kevin. There's just no comparison.

4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Seriously?? Which "people" other than McLeod are saying "this guy is capable of taking it all"?

Yes, Reynolds had a great showing at 4Cs. But maybe McLeod needs to look at how many other international medals Reynolds has won as a senior - which would be one (bronze at 4Cs in 2010) - and look at how many other senior international medals have been won by Chan and the other top-ranked men.

She might also want to look at how many points Reynolds racks up with his quads against how many points he gets for everything else that's judged. Yes, his PCS have been improving, and justifiably so, but when he misses his jumps his marks plunge. And that's going to make it very difficult to "take it all".

I'm sorry, but this is just more of the same delusional thinking and hot-air self-promotion that is sadly what we've come to expect from Camp McLeod. Could we have some V-Bets on what excuses she will have, or who other than Reynolds she will blame, if Reynolds doesn't "take it all" at Worlds?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  5. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Reynolds can beat crap hanyu and crap takahashi so It's hard to believe that when up against chan hanyu and takahashi they would all fail together! So all those three would have to in London have meltdowns like hanyu and Takahashi did in 4c with Reynolds being as successful again. Its a long shot but a tiny bit possible.

6. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

TIS THE MAYAN APOCALYPSE YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Entering into the '01/'02 Oly season, I wonder how many people thought that Sarah Hughes could overtake Michelle Kwan?

8. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Considering Hughes was a world bronze medalist and Hughes won Skate Canada over Kwan and Slutskaya THAT SEASON, it really REALLY was not as big of a shock as people like to pretend it was. Not to mention it was under the 6.0 system where a clean 7 triple skate was always good enough to win or at least put you in the running. Now you can do all the jumps you want but you have to survive edge calls, UR calls and then worry about levels on a thousand other elements. The comparison is simply not valid.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. munow

munow New Member

I think his win at 4CCs was kind of flukish, but I can't say the same thing won't happen ever again.

10. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

Anything is possible, but this would be very improbable.

11. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

I know it became more plausible after SC. My point was simply that, world bronze medalist or not, prior to that season ... prior to SC ... no one thought that Sarah would overtake Michelle. Irina, maybe, but not Sarah. Similarly, no one is thinking that Kevin will overtake Patrick ... because he hasn't done it. Whether he ever will (i.e., whether he will ever have the equivalent of SC ... or even SA [in terms of "should have won", even if he doesn't win]) remains to be seen.

12. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

*raises hand* I always worried about Sarah, because she had steely nerves, she always went after the 3-3s, and she never seemed to have a really bad day at the office, she usually was good for 6-7 "triples."

13. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

No. He could have a win over Patrick a la Sarah Hughes. But it would depend on Patrick faltering, just like his win at 4CCs depended on Takahashi and others faltering.

14. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

No way.

15. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

It's not just Takahashi, Hanyu, and Chan that would have to falter for Kevin to come close to the Worlds podium. Fernandez, Amodio, and potentially several others would also have to have two bad programs.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

If only he could get the quality better so he could get some GOE on those jumps... because Patrick's is always so high that it doesn't really matter that his base value is lower. So unless that happens, no.

17. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Kevin is slow and even his jumps while he does land them are not really that impressive or big. He just doesn't impress me in any way.

18. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

It's good for Canada to have a strong men's field. They motivate each other to do better.

19. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

A little unfortunate that Kevin's lack of deep edges, speed and positive GOE elements usually overshadow some of the good aspects of his programs.

I think Kevin's long program if given to some other skater with better overall skating skills would be very highly praised - there are details from Kenji Miyamoto in that program that haven't been given the credit it deserves IMO because the skater perhaps is lacking in some areas.

20. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Here is another Kevin Reynolds article

21. skatingfanfun

skatingfanfun New Member

I'm just happy that Canada has two strong skaters to go for 3 spots for the Olympics. it doesn't matter who wins, as long as the one who skate the best win I will be happy.

I really want to see Patrick win, but hopefully without fall. I would love to see Javier win too because I love his LP. Patrick is still the best if he can land all his jumps. I don't like Hanyu's LP that much mainly because his posture is bad, it doesn't show in the SP because of the choreography but the LP exposes it more. I'm happy for Kevin andI even believe he should have been sent to 2010 Olympics but I don't think he can take No. 1 right now.

hat being said I would. Really like to see Patrick up his base value, add another quad or at least another 3A going into next season if he want to get OGM.

22. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

So, Kevin has become a force to be reckoned with in figure skating. Who would have known?:shuffle: And who said McLeod is a bad coach?

Patrick doesn't have a technical coach currently and I'm wondering now if he couldn't/shouldn't turn to McLeod for coaching. Would Kevin and Patrick be training together, Kevin would really push Patrick to get better and better every single day.;)

Keep up the good work, team Reynolds.:kickass:

23. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Kevin was 12th at last year's Worlds. He seems to be having a good year, so I can see his possibly moving into the top ten this year with a skate like his last two outings.

24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

If someone posted "Can Reynolds overtake Hanyu and Takahashi" a month everyone would have said no, never. :lol:

If Reynolds skates two perfect programs, and Chan bombs, then yes I think its possible for Reynolds to win over Chan. Chan doesn't seem to be getting the "he must win no matter how he skates" treatment from the judges this season and Reynolds' stock is going up.

But if "overtake" means Reynolds permanently overtaking Chan as the #1 Canadian guy overall, then I think that's incredibly doubtful given the disparity of skating quality. Chan is still the overwhelming favorite for Canada and I think will remain so until he retires.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.
  25. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I predict Chan will retire from amateur competition in about a year or so due to the very fact that Reynolds is about to overtake him. Mark my words.

Erin and (deleted member) like this.
  26. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

Wiped years from my eyes......laughing!!!
    If Patrick is on the ice, no Kevin will not beat him. If Patrick retires given the current landscape Kevin could become national champ (shudder)

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  27. starryxskies

starryxskies New Member

Patrick will retire after Sochi regardless ....your point being?

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

^^^ PeterG is being his usual sarcastic self here. ;)

I wish the thread had been titled differently to emphasize Reynolds' fine accomplishment at 4CC, as reflected in this excerpt from the article:
    (Even Joanne McLeod didn't come out and say in the article that she thought her pupil could "overtake Patrick Chan as Canadian Number 1.")

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:rofl: and same goes for the article.

30. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

The question should really be "could Chan and/or Hanyu and/or Takahashi all skate poorly enough to fall behind Kevin?" That's how to frame the discussion since there was less overtaking happening and more screwing up. This conversation is more relevant now because Kevin has broken from the 150-160 pack to begin to approach the others....so he's a bit above the radar.
    To 'overtake' you need a big tech base, about 8-10 pts of GOE and PCS well into the 8s. Kevin doesn't have enough of that to control his destiny.

He'd need to execute another two quads total between short and long to be enough of a threat and figure out how to get some GOE while he's at it.

Still, the top competitors now know who he is and they talk about him and watch him. Kevin, as others have said, is now bumping up a rung...enough to make Canada's chances to qualify 3 next year very strong. That's good enough for me.