Can Julia Lipnitskaya make the podium at the 2014 Olympics?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, May 8, 2013.

Where will Julia Lipnitskaya place at the 2014 Olympics?

Poll closed Jun 8, 2013.
  1. 1st (Gold)

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. 2nd (Silver)

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. 3rd (Bronze)

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. 4th

3 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. 5th

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  6. 6th - 10th

31 vote(s)
    31.3%
  7. Outside the top 10

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. She won't qualify for the Russian Team

42 vote(s)
    42.4%
  9. Don't Know

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

True. Depth to me means easily interchangeable people. Not two good ones. Depth just in juniors or is the there depth in jrs and seniors. If people want to say there is no depth in seniors now and just depth in juniors than that should be stated. Julia at jr worlds was better than sotnikova and tuktamisheva at senior worlds and because they are all eligible seniors next season that means there is some depth in seniors. It's not like Julia didn't make the senior GPF with Tuktamisheva but had to withdraw due to a concussion. The former world silver medalist is also some depth. She's not at that quality now but she beat Tuktamisheva in the worlds short and was 3 points back of sotnikova! So if tuktamisheva and sotnkova can't easily be replaced by skaters of equal or greater caliber there is no depth and they aren't really improvements and the team might just as well be announced now. Or just bring back doronina!

2. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

I really think it's going to be a three way battle between Alena (YES - Leonova), Elizaveta and Adelina for those Olympic spots. It's all going to come down on who delivers when it counts.

3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

She is talking about her hope to make the team, and we talk about a podium ?
    If she makes the team, I guess she'll be happy with it, so will I. I don't see her in the top 5 at the Olympics, but I'm talking about her 2012-2013 skating. Maybe she'll improve a lot :)

4. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Julia will probably be on the team but I do honestly think there are 6 girls with chances to make the team - Lipnitskaya, Tuktamysheva, Sotnikova, Leonova, Pogorilaya, and Korobeynikova. The last 3 obviously don't have very good chances at this point but I do think they still have a chance to make the team as all 3 have skated very well in the past. It's going to depend on the timing of puberty and adjustment issues for the 3 younger girls (Julia, Liza, Anna) and whether or not Leonova can make a comeback and if Korobeynikova can get back her hard content and both she and Sotnikova can develop consistency and not be headcase-y next season.

5. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Ideally they want to go with the top two skaters from an international standpoint and those two are Adelina and Liza T. However, Julia did well in her debut last season but was plagued with injuries before taking silver at junior worlds.

I think Julia is the runner-up to Adelina and Liza T and if one of those two flub up, she'll probably step in. She has the ability to score in the top ten. Leonova took a nosedive this season so who knows what's going to happen to her. She'd have to kick some serious ass on the GP next season and win nationals in order to make up for the crap season she just had.

As for Pogorilaya and Korobeynikova, neither have the international credit needed to have a good chance to stay in the top 10 in Sochi. They're still too unknown so I don't think their chances are they great.

As of now I pick Adelina and Liza T with Julia as the alternate. We'll have to see where they are at the end of the GP...

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I agree all 6 of those have a shot. I also dont think anyone is a lock at this point, including Sotnikova who some people wrongly believe is a lock IMO (I do think if she skates well at Nationals and doesnt self destruct during the season she is probably the safest in, but that is no sure thing with her).

7. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

^^I don't think anyone is a lock 100% completely, but Adelina and Liza T are the two favorites and they'll have to suck pretty badly not to make it on the team at this point.

8. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Well I think Adelina and Liza T. are way overrated on this forum in general. I dont think they are in anyway as far ahead of the others as you are potraying them. Julia L. beat them many times in the last 18 months where they did not "suck pretty badly", and in fact had a better grand prix season than both, especialy Sotnikova last year, and of course wasnt eligible for Worlds and the chance to best the weak results of Adelina and Liza T. who didnt exactly meltdown there and still placed poorly and were not even close to getting 3 spots for Russia. Alena L. meanwhile has been 2nd and 4th at two of her Worlds this quad, even if she did poorly in her last outing and is coming off a very poor season. The way some in this thread talk about Adelina and Liza T. one would think they were gold medal contenders for Sochi, and not just two skaters who finished 9th and 10th at Worlds (with even one poster starting a thread that Sotnikova is a threat to Yu Na Kim, LOL).

9. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I don't really see their performances at worlds and just them being at 2013 worlds as being such a powerful and overwhelming reason for them to be in sochi. So Liza and Adelina were at worlds and Julia wasn't so no matter what happens and his they skate Adelina and Liza must be in Sochi! Because Liza and Adelina were in the top 10 judges won't even care about Julia or Polina or Alena leonova! Because Liza and Adelina were in the top 10 if people make mistakes they could medal! Lol! So Liza and Adelina were at 2013 worlds! Who cares? Look at his they did there and if judges really cared and if they will care if they see them in Sochi!