Can Ilinykh and Katsalapov win Olympic Gold in 2014?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Aug 14, 2011.

?

Can Ilinykh and Katsalapov win Olympic Gold in 2014?

Poll closed Sep 14, 2011.
  1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    22.0%
  2. No

70 vote(s)
    40.5%
  3. Too early to tell

65 vote(s)
    37.6%
  1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Away

Ilinykh and Katsalapov had a very impressive first season in seniors in 2010/11 finishing 4th in Europeans and 7th at Worlds. But can they now move on from that over the next 3 years and improve sufficiently to take Gold at their home Olympics in 2014? They changed coaches back in May and are now being coached by Nikolai Morozov. Morozov was specifically asked by the Russian government to help with the preparations re the Russian figure skating team for the 2014 Olympics and ensuring that Ilinykh and Katsalapov are ready to challenge by then is one of his principal assignments

They may or may not win Gold, but I think at the very least they have a shot at the podium.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

No, I do not think they can. Especially if V/M and D/W are still competing. But a medal is certainly within the realm of possibilities.

3. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

They can. I don't think it is very very likely but they have a shot.
    I think it is more likely that they will win 2018.
    A medal is more than likely, IMO.
    The new coach is a bit of a dark horse factor. I don't put much trust in Morosov regarding Ice-Dance. But one of their former coaches went with them so hopefully that will even Morosov out a bit...

4. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

No, they don't have enough time skating together. They had a lot of technical problems last season and it's too early to see how they are progressing with those. They need a couple of years to find their style and become consistent. A top 5 finish in Sochi would be great.

Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

If V&M and D&W are still competing, I don't see I&K winning the gold. However, if the two top pairs retire, they have a chance.

6. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I-K have too much to improve and too many teams to get past in order to win in only 3 more years, without an amazing lot of politicking and more deal-making than I would think possible these days. I thought he was notably weak last season compared to other top guys, so they will have that to work on as well.

Last year there was too much focus on fluff and not enough attention to fundamentals. They still need to grow into their roles as senior skaters. With new handlers, we will hopefully see better music and choreo choices for them, anyway.

IMO they should be looking at 2014 as experience and building toward 2018.

7. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

No because he isn't good enough.
    I doubt that he has mentality it takes to get better either. Him putting blames on his former coach after Moscow Worlds was really lame.
    I was really pulling for them before they went to you know who.:blah:

I expect them to eak out a bronze in Sochi skating to The Feeling Begins with Elena wearing a topless dress.:scream:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

I chose yes but perhaps wait and see would have been better (see below).

If the Olympics were this coming season I could understand why people say I&K have no chance but a lot can change in a few years. Even from one season to the next. We've seen teams who looked as if they would never challenge the top teams one season only to come back looking completely different the next.

I remember seeing Silverstein/Pekarek for the first time during the 97/98 season. They looked immmature and very much like a young junior team (and not even a top junior team) skating to a generic Latin FD. The next season whatever happened during the previous summer they had gained a level of sophistication that I wouldn't have guessed they were capable of.

Lately it seems as if the Canton group are the only ones to be given credit for having any kind of talent when I see potential in a few of the international teams especially I&K and P&B. There is also B&S. I&K already have speed and very good technique though it's true they can be even better. And Elena is one of those charismatic skaters; she has that "it" factor.

As for Morosov, I'm taking a wait and see position on how well I&K will fare or not under him. And don't forget, this is skating. Who's to say that Morosov will still be their coach by 2014.

IMO I&K are one of those teams who are capable of making the jump in skill and presentation skills that I described with S&P. If they can do that I don't see them having any issues contending for the gold. V&M (again IMO) thus far are the only team who could fairly take the gold over an improved I&K. I think D&W are excellent technically but I still find them slightly overrated.

Of course if things pan out like some say (it seems people don't see I&K making any improvements at all rather staying static in their skating) then they might not win gold but may compete for a medal. I do think 2018 could also be a great year for this team as long as they stay together.

9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I really dont think they have a chance for the 2014 gold. V/M and D/W are just too far ahead for anyone to catch by then, and they have too many issues to sort out. They could win bronze or maybe silver by then if everything goes perfectly from now until then.
    If they are willing to stick it out for 2018 that could be their gold chance.

10. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree with everyone else that if either V/M or D/W are competing, I/K won't get the gold. Hell, P/B might even still be around. I/K aren't even the CLEAR favourites in their country over B/S and R/T.

11. judgejudy27

If P/B are still around by then I/K and every other current young team will easily be over them so they are irrelevant. I imagine if P/B medal at Worlds at home this year they will wisely take the medal and go. This year is their last chance really.

12. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I think they could at least medal, but gold? I doubt it as many do since V/M and D/W will be competing then and these hardcore couples are not easy to beat, in the class of their own. Well still ice is slippery so if these canton dancers make horrible, unexplicable mistakes(crossing my fingers) maybe then they could win the gold..? I do love their chemistry and they're the one I look most forward to among dance newbies. Maybe in Pyeongchang they can win!

13. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I wonder how you'd react if a Canton uber cheered in glee if I&K make a mistake or a Shibufan started cheering loudly after P&B fell.

14. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

:( I was just saying on hypothetical term. no offense here.

15. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Then no offence taken. Sorry if I misunderstood. :)

16. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

:rollin: well I was the one being silly making inappropriate jokes.;)

17. morqet

morqet Active Member

Anything can happen. Who honestly thought in 2007 that V/M would be in a position to win gold in 2010 given all the teams that were ahead of them at that time? I think we have seen in the last few years that ice dance teams no longer have to "wait their turn" the way they did under 6.0, and if they are given the right training and manage to stay injury free I think I/K will certainly be contenders in Sochi.

18. Libertango

Libertango New Member

I agree that anything can happen. Seriously who would have thought that B/A would have been 3rd at Worlds in 2006 after winning the silver medal at the OG? And that they would pretty much be a non factor at 2010?

I/K really need to step up on the technical side of their performances. Their lifts looked juniorish this year IMO! I think they rely too much on their IT factor. At Worlds in 2007 V&M already had the third highest TES in the FD. Their scores (PCS) grew during the 07-08 because they kept on delivering clean performances. PCS come with high TES not the other way around with COP.

19. Proustable

Proustable New Member

The B. Eurosport guys said, after D/W performed their FD in 2007, that V/M and D/W could go 1-2 in Vancouver.

That said, those two teams benefited from a vacuum at the top: two retirements (DenStav, D/L) and two futher injuries (DomShabs, DelSchoes) as well as being the first generation under COP, so it was far more natural to them (witness their high TES scores that first season - both were the first teams to get all level fours for a program). While it's too hard to predict who retires from Canton (well, not really - if anyone does, it'll be V/M), I'd argue I/K don't have the advantage of the COP comfort that others lack. I'm also not convinced that they'll automatically be the Russian number one, but I like R/T and B/S.

20. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

Well, definetely they have a chance, but it's still a big if. At first they need to skate very clean, cleaner than ever, to polish every move of their programs to compete with other teams. This season seems to begin better for them than the previous one as they were good at test skates and got new lifts, but we still have to wait for their first competition to say something

21. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I think they will be 3rd or 4th in 2014, and rise after that.

22. millipied

millipied New Member

Personally I somehow doubt we are going to see both V/M and D/W on the podium in Sochi, something tells me the Canton group is going to hit turbulent time leading into Olympics. I am 100% confident that both B/S and I/K will be in the hunt for all three colors.

23. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Well, I somehow doubt anyone who is 100% confident when it comes to figure skating. :)

24. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

People keep saying that, and I keep looking for it, but I just do not see "it". Last year, what her performances reminded me of was sort of the skating equivalent of a little girl playing dress up in her mother's clothes. She had all the posing and posturing, but was really pretty clueless about what it all meant or how to make it really work.

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  25. judgejudy27

B/S couldnt even beat Crone & Poirier at the GPF or the Shibutanis at Worlds. They have even had trouble beating Weaver & Poje this year. They have been behind teams their own age or younger since day 1 and still are today. If they are lucky they will have an outside shot at the bronze medal in Sochi. While I have my doubts about I/K as well I will say that the Russians had better hope I/K or some other team is their #1 by Sochi. If B/S are still their #1 then they will be in rough shape.

26. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

27. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Maybe Ilynikh with another partner. "Kats" isn't particularly strong, IMO.

28. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Because the games are in Russia the crowd will cheer all the Russians very loud and hopefully loud cheering wont be such a problem for Katsalapov's ability to concentrate and compete. When he said loud cheering is why he botched the opening the the FD in Moscow it was a warning sign about his level of concentration when competing.

29. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Actually, that's one thing about the move to Morosov that's positive. Throughout the season we saw those little errors that seemed to be from lack of concentration/confidence. Morosov is terrific at instilling confidence (Takahashi said that's how he benefited from him, and I think Amodio's a pretty great example too, though arguably Amodio had confidence in spades already). That and generally, his skaters turn up well trained to their events. If they have those, I wouldn't be surprised to see them threaten for the podium despite the relative brevity of their partnership (In Vancouver, you'd have to go to Cappellini-Lannotte in 12th to find a partnership as short as I/K's would be in Sochi).

30. SkaterMate

SkaterMate New Member

Morozov will fix his problem of concentration I am sure. His skaters are prepared very well.