Can Hanyu and Murakami make the world team this year & if so, who would they replace?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Marco, Oct 27, 2010.

1. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

She's still eligible for Junior Worlds, and Japan has 3 spots for ladies this season. If she is sent along with Risa Shoji, between the two of them they would have a good shot at winning the title or at least a medal. The junior ladies in Japan aren't the strongest right now apart from Risa, so I tend to think Haurka will go to Junior Worlds, they could really use her there.

2. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Now after TEB, Takahiko would appear to be moving out of the "#3 Japanese Man" slot

3. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

....and moving into the #1? :D

I think Hanyu will be hard pressed to make it this year. Kanako, however, has a very good chance.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I love the Worlds team criteria. In other words: "We're going to send whom the hell we please." :D

If Mao continues to skate like she does now, it really would be idiotic to send her, unless it's something to do with sponsors. Although would the sponsors really be happy with her skating like an obscure Polish Novice skater? :p

I want Murakami, Suzuki and Imai on the team but obviously that's dreamland territory.

As for Imai's PCS, she deserves higher but she's not yet "famous enough." :/

5. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

I want Murakami, Suzuki, and Imai on the team too! But Ando's almost definitely in now... Yeah, definitely Imai deserves PCS that isn't lower than Fumie, for heavens' sake. That's definitely reputation right there.

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Watching Fumie skate is coma inducing these days. Imai to get lower PCS than her is ridiculous.

7. pinky166

I agree, but her FS was a bit of a mess today and her juniorish spins and presentation really became obvious. I still love Haruka and think she has a lot of potential but Kanako is definitely heavy edge to her now in the eyes of the international judges, regarding PCS anyway. Haruka had a near-clean FS at SC and only scored 102, and again the PCS were a bit stingy even though she skated well. I find her more impressive in the SP, her program is more sophisticated and mature and due to the fewer jumps and spins she never seems frantic like she sometimes does in the LP.

At this point, Mao is a big question mark and I'd assume Miki is a near-lock. She's put up the highest total score on the GP this season and she earned that at COR where she didn't skate her best and was injured so as of now it looks like she has a decent shot at winning another world title, or at least another medal.

8. NMURA

NMURA Member

IMAI will be sent to Jr Worlds. It's practically impossible for her to crack the top 4 at (seniority and political considerations ruled) Nationals. 4CC may not be available for the 5th or lower places. There are Asian Winter Games in this season, but no official SB or WS points are granted. She has no other choice to secure the next season's GP spot. Murakami will be the 3rd or the 4th at Nationals and sent to 4CC. If Asada finished below Murakami, there would be the final battle between them. Fuji TV and the sponsors will welcome that.

My prediction
    Worlds - Ando, Suzuki, Asada
    Four Continents - Suzuki, Asada, Murakami
    Jr Worlds - Imai, Shoji, and one of Nishino, Oba, Tomotaki

9. pinky166

I agree about Haruka, they need her at Junior Worlds and though I would love her to compete at senior Worlds, I just don't see her getting sent over Akiko, Miki, Mao, or Kanako. She will likely finish 5th at nationals and go to Jr. Worlds and maybe 4CC as well.

10. eyh201

eyh201 New Member

11. eyh201

eyh201 New Member

I heard one of Mao's endorsement contracts was recently canceled due to her unsatisfying GP results.

12. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

Japan doesnt need Mao for the world right now, as both Ando and Suzuki can easily secure 3 spots. But if Kim is dead serious about return for World in Tokyo, JSF will defeinitely make sure Mao is on the team. And frankly at this stage, Mao chances of defending her title or even getting on the podium is next to nothing. In ladies, if you miss more than 3 jumps you are out of the podium and even top 5.

Ando cracked 120, and if she skated clean and even better, she can score over 125+. Both Kanako and Suzuki can crack 120 with clean program and their PCS will go up a bit due to being world championship and home town advantage.

At this stage, looks like Mao is pushing herself too hard and its a shame because her LP is simply divine.

13. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

They better not replace Suzuki, she's my fav, that's all I care about! :lol:

If Suzuki skates well, I'd hate to see her left off the team to give a youngster more experience.

If Mao skates half decent at Nats, she'll be going to Worlds, I have no doubt about it. If she bombs, I think she'll be fine with staying home, like she said, she's purposefully taking a step back to relearn some jumps.

I think only Murakami has a shot at going to Worlds.
    Imai needs to work on PCS. Alot. A whole lot.

14. miki88

miki88 New Member

He has a lot of potential though. I feel his passion when he skates, which is something I don't often feel when watching Oda or Kozuka. He's only a teenager so he has a lot of time to work on his side to work his way up. But when he does, the other guys better watch out!

15. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Sorry, I meant Imai, and have edited my post. I agree, Hanyu is well on his way to greater things! (maybe just not this year):)

16. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

Mao is the only hope for Japan to win the gold medal in ladies competition (I don't think there is someone else who can beat Yuna) , but if she doesn't have her great shape before 4CC I don't see the reason to send her for Worlds. There are skaters who deserve it more.

I agree about PCS for Imai, but... world team without Ando? Are you serious?

17. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Imai is very expressive and skates to the music. Judges need to work on marking her higher. :p

Anybody but that lifeless drone, please. I know her place on the team is pretty much a lock but I can dream. :p

18. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I think Imai skates completely though the music and her arms need major work. :p

But she has tons of potential, but she's not there yet.

19. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Her SP: good. I really like it, she's expressive and it's a overall solid program. She does flail a little bit too much, but nowhere close to last year's SP.

Her LP: bad. The music goes by so fast that after her first jump wasn't too good, she spent the rest of the time chasing the music that left her. She didn't get any credit on the spiral because she didn't hold it long enough, I think. Then, at the end she finished the spin way, way after the music. Has Polovetsian Dances really worked for any singles skater? I remember Ashley Wagner was really rushed (even more than usual) last year in her LP too.

20. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Based on Seasons Best scores including recently completed JPN Junior Nats (usually top 4-5 gets senior Nats invite)
    1. 174.47 Miki Ando
    2. 172.74 Akiko Suzuki
    3. 164.93 Kanako Murakami
    4. 158.42 Risa Shoji (JPN Jnr 1st)
    5. 154.54 Haruka Imai
    6. 148.02 Mao Asada
    7. 147.28 Kako Tomotaki (JPN Jr 2nd)
    8. 144.21 Miyabi Ohba (JPN Jr 3rd)
    9. 140.22 Satoko Miyahara (JPN Jr 4th)
    10. 138.18 Fumie Suguri
    Even accounting for Jr Nationals inflation, addtional element should add perhaps just under 2points to Jr skaters doing sr program. Tomotaki will overtake Mao.
    If this were the final standings at JPN Sr Nationals, JSF will probably have skate-off at 4CC with Murakami, Imai and Mao.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  21. pinky166

I like Imai but I actually think Risa Shoji will overshadow her soon, although due to her birthday (July 5, 1996) she won't be eligible for senior events until the 2012-2013 season. That being said I think a Junior Worlds team of Imai, Shoji and Tomatako could bring home very good results.

22. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

Risa's jump technique is less than solid. Gosh, so many of these Japanese girls are so talented but have less than solid technique, it's really unfortunate..

23. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

Well, the American girls aren't much better off. The best technicians tend to be Russians.

24. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

You're right. Though the Russians are lacking in packaging and non-jump refinement. Can't there be a combination?! ;)

25. pinky166

She has an awful flutz and some of her technique is iffy but at least she gets lot of height on her jumps, which bodes well for the future when she grows.

26. NMURA

NMURA Member

Shoji's flutz is not awful. Actually her edges of both Lz and F are "flat" and that's why sometimes she receives "e" on both jumps.

27. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I'm pretty sure I've seen some raggedy technique from Russian skaters as well.

28. pinky166

I didn't mean deep inside edge so much as just a swingy entrance to that jump in general.

29. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

ITA. Ksenia Doronina, anyone? :scream:

30. pinky166

Or Anna Ovcharova. I love that girl dearly, and she is fantastic, but her jumps are very weird looking.