Can Hanyu and Murakami make the world team this year & if so, who would they replace?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Marco, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I don't think Ando will be trying 4salchow again, I don't think she even practiced it much - if at all - last season.

Although with the rules changes, maybe she resumed it again.

2. allezfred

allezfred Mince Pie Depriving Admin Staff Member

I must bookmark this thread so I can bring it up when 2011 Worlds comes round. :D

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

You should totally revive it once Suguri, Suzuki, Imai, Machida, Takahashi and Mura end up making the Worlds team. :D

4. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Why do you keep bringing up the 4S?

:huh:

5. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

That was because Miki bombed the SP, she beat Lepisto by 7 points in the FS.

I'm not so sure about this. With Joannie likely not there, Yuna competing for the 1st time this season, only one of Akiko or Murakami and 2 Americans there, if Mao is still imploding, it looks like Ando or Kostner have a good shot at the title, and Miki's chances are improved even more if Laura and Carolina are still being hampered by injuries.

6. miki88

miki88 New Member

Well isn't that the same as everyone either being absent or having a meltdown? ;) Even if Yuna's not her best, I still she has to screw up pretty bad for either Ando or Kostner to get the title.

7. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

I'd be thrilled to see Miki bring back the quad salchow. Her attempt at 2008 GPF under the current rules for downgrades would have still have given the attempt more credit than a 3lutz! If Miki can even do a cheated quad then it would be like having an extra 3lutz in her program.

8. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I think it's too risky.

:(

9. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Don't downgrades need to have negative GOE now (unlike in the past season when judges were not told whether a jump was downgraded or not)? So in effect, a cheated salchow might not completely be beneficial.

10. pinky166

Maybe...I'll say this, I think Miki has a great chance to MEDAL at Worlds this season, Kostner too if she's doing 3f and 3lz by then. Gold maybe isn't so likely for either, but a medal definitely. I feel like Suzuki doesn't really have a great shot at even winning a medal.

11. justAfsfan

justAfsfan Member

I think Kanako will have a chance to go to world, but only if JSF decide not to sent Mao(if is not likely to happen).

For Hanyu with his underscore PSC, he will not be able to make world team.

Machida might have a chance , but I still think JSF is going to let him wait for another year, regradless of his performance.:yawn:

Let hope the one with best performance will be sent to world not the one with higher seniority or reputation.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  12. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

After all the hype about her I was very disappointed when I saw Suzuki last season. I think she is good but nothing really special. I certainly don't see her as being anywhere near certain to make the world team, and personally I'd like to see someone else make it.

13. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Agreed. She is overrated. People just like the underdog story. At her best she is just solid and at her worst she can be a disaester.

14. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

What I'm wondering is if Asada tanks again at her next GP event and does the same at Nationals, what will the JPN federation do? Could it be like 2005 when Fumie had to defeat Yoshie at 4CC for a spot on the World team? What :drama: that would be!

15. miki88

miki88 New Member

Why are you even entertaining such gloomy thoughts? :drama:

16. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well so we now know that Oda will most likely make the team. He seems to be in great shape.

Assuming she rotates more than 3.5, count this:

0.7 x 4S base value - 3 (-4 if she falls)

She can skate to the music, which is very special as far as Ladies are concerned. :p

Because at current stage, it's very likely to happen.

17. miki88

miki88 New Member

Let's just wait and see. I do remember similar speculation taking place last season.

18. judgejudy27

Just because he had one decent competition where he still lost to a 4 fall Patrick Chan? Oda is always in great shape physically, mentally is another matter. He actually usually looks better than he did at Skate Canada at this point in the season and goes down from here.

19. NMURA

NMURA Member

Kozuka surely loses to 5 falls PChan. Since last season, Oda has scored higher than Kozuka's Seasons Best at every competition except one (Torino worlds).

20. judgejudy27

If past history is any indication Oda is losing to 4 fall Chan while skating alot better than he will in January since his skating is always better in October than in January.

21. pinky166

I actually think Kozuka is better than Oda, at least in terms of presentation, performance, PCS. Oda is a great jumper but he's so small and almost shy on the ice that his performances never really draw me in. Chaplin worked pretty well for him but was also a bit juniorish, I know it must be hard when one is so small and looks so young, but this more mature FS Oda has this season just seems pretty boring. I do like his SP though.

22. NMURA

NMURA Member

Wait, it was HomeCooking Skate Chanada. Oda will beat 4 falls Chan in Tokyo. And if past history is any indication, Chan ALWAYS skates poorly in Asia. He can be easily put off world podium if he skates like Skate Chanada.

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I agree.

I think Kozuka is generally very undermarked on the PCS. Probably because he's not outgoing and expressive.

But his basics are good and he usually does skate to the music.

Do people really need to do hip thrusts in order to get recognised? :p

As for losing to 4 falls Chan, well most currently competing skaters would.

Takahashi is the only skater at present who gets PCS as high as Chan from the judges, falls or not.

24. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Kozuka skates just as fast as Oda but the quality and complexity of his skating is so much superior.

Kozuka needs to get rid of the labelling as Japan's #3, if he wants to get high PCS (which he deserves). To me, the only reasons Oda is ahead of Kozuka on the pecking order are that (1) he became a senior first and immediately came close to medalling at Worlds and winning GPs; (2) he was more consistent and flashy [jumps, choreography].

It's almost the same way Lysacek was pecked ahead of Abbott and how Chan beat Rippon in Skate Chanada.

25. judgejudy27

If so that is a sad reflection on either the current state of mens field or the quality of judging, or perhaps both (and for the record I thought Chan's win at this years Skate Canada was a huge farce).

Chan was a distant 5th at the Olympics in Canada with less than 3 falls worth of mistakes over the 2 programs but of course Plushenko, Lysacek, Lambiel, and Weir were all there, in addition to all the current remaining skaters.

26. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

If someone can fall twice and still win Olympic silver, I don't think falling 4 times and winning an easy season GP without much real competition is anything too worrying. And Chan is 10 tens the skater Cohen was.

I thnk Rippon was undermarked at Skate Chanada, but I would be hard pressed to place Chan lower than second (or below Oda) anyway.

27. judgejudy27

The 2006 womens figure skating event was shockingly appaling even without considering it was missing 3 of the best skaters in the World at the time, and Cohen was lucky her 2nd actual fall wasnt deemed as a fall considering she barely won silver as it was.

It is interesting you seemed like a fan of Oda when he was coming up, I remember you posting about him excitedly back in fall of 2006 but you seem to have gone cold on him over the years (as alot of people have).

The Skate Canada mens field might seem weak but then again it begs the question who are the big guns outside of Takahashi and Chan now anyway. Joubert if he isnt really past his prime now I guess, and not sure who else at the moment. There isnt even another former World medalist in the field left.

28. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I like Oda as a technical skater but he has no advancement in artistic ability and his programs and expressions have sucked since 2007. Zatoichi was such a great program and it was his last great program.

Chan is the highest placed skater at Olympics and Worlds to have competed at Skate Chanada and may I say, the best. To me he and Oda are both technical skaters with poor artistry. But at least Chan shows off his great skating while skating to incredibly complex programs and deserved his PCS advantage over Oda.

Having said that, so long as Oda lands the quad, I am sure he will stay in medal contention at Worlds this season. Same for Joubert and Verner. I also really hope Abbott can contend but to even be considered he needs to ahve a consistent season.

Chan beating Rippon and Oda is like Cohen beating Suguri and Slutskaya.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  29. pinky166

And Lysacek, although I have no idea how that happened. He went from getting Oda PCS to Takahashi/Chan PCS over the course of a few competitions. If only Rippon could manage to do the same.

30. judgejudy27

Lysacek is one of the greatest and most consistent skaters of the last decade. It is no surprise he got some of the highest PCS reflecting his superiority.