Can Hanyu and Murakami make the world team this year & if so, who would they replace?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Marco, Oct 27, 2010.

1. ainouta

ainouta Well-Known Member

*cough2006OlympicTeamcoughYukariwuzrobbedcough* :shuffle:

I don't think that Murakami will bump off Suzuki. Akiko attempts more difficulty in the jumps, has more reliable technique, and also gets Nationals inflation (see: last year's results.) Besides, Akiko has more sentimental value in terms of her struggle with anorexia, etc.

I honestly think Hanyu has better programs in the past, and I'm hoping that Kozuka will finally gain some of the JSF's favor after being a reliable performer for a couple of years.

2. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I don't see why JSF would bump off Ando or Asada as both are world champions with a good chance at winning another title.

3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

The fact Ando was put on the 2006 Olympic team after coming only 6th at Nationals only illustrates allezfred's point about how the JSF pick their teams. And she wasnt even a World Champion or World medalist yet. And had finished lower than Nakano at the Grand Prix final that year too. However since she had been 4th and 6th at the previous two Worlds and was back then an up and coming star she still got the nod to go to the Olympics.

So Mao the 2 time and reigning World Champion could probably come 8th at Nationals and still be sent.

4. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I think Hanyu is better than Machida. Machida does everything ok.. nothing particularly stands out.. His jumps aren't big, his skating skills aren't nowhere near takahashi or Kozuka, he doesn't have a soft knee like Oda and his jumps doesn't flow like Hanyu.
    Machida just doesn't grab me like takahashi, kozuka and Hanyu. He is an inferior version of Oda to me.

5. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

At 2006 they had that point system where both the 2005 and 2006 seasons were considered. Ando's consistency over the 2 GP seasons were rewarded. Nakano's surge came too late. In hindsight it was unfortunate for Olympic berth purposes that her peak years were 2006 to 2008.

Back on Asada - I obviously understand JFed can still decide to send an Asada who came 8th at Nationals, but it's by no means guaranteed. If Asada consistently does poorly all season I can see JFed ditching her for Worlds this season.

6. judgejudy27

They wont ditch Mao for Worlds since no matter how bad she does all season she has a great shot to win Worlds if she skated her best and if Kim doesnt skate her best. They dont have any other women that can win Worlds. Miki isnt likely going to win Worlds again barring a miracle, and Murakami would do extremely well to get a bronze this year.

7. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Murakami can replace Ando or Suzuki. But I don't think Yuzuru will replace any of the top 3 men.

8. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I don't think Hanyu will bump Takahashi or Kozuka. He's clearly not as good as Takahashi, even if he does his best and Dai makes mistakes. Hanyu's artistry also leaves a lot to be desired, compared with Kozuka. I actually wouldn't see him beating Oda, either, unless Oda has a meltdown close to what happened at Worlds 2010.

It might be easier for Murakami to displace someone due to the inconsistency of Asada, Ando, and Suzuki. If they look at placements alone, I don't think Asada is safe but she may be named to the team anyway due to her past results. Ando and Suzuki can either be really great or bomb, so if they happen to bomb and Murakami is good that day, she might sneak in there.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

10. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Mao will be there as long as she can manage standing on her feet. They have invested in her too much, too long. She still is the marketing focus for Japanese figure skating, which is not a minor sport there. Not sending Mao to Worlds IN TOKYO would be equivalent of admitting that it has been a big hype after all, and it would be disastrous for domestic marketing of the sport in Japan.

IMO Mao doesn’t have intention to carry on with substantial overhaul of her jumping techniques, at least for now. It was obvious after watching her jumps at NHK. In that context, I think she has reasonable chance to regain her old mediocre form in time for Worlds. Whether it would be good for her in the long run, or whether Sato would be happy with that, is another matter.

I think Murakami is also a near lock for appearance at Worlds, unless she bomb beyond hope at their nationals. They seem anxious to showcase her on the big stage. And their media, sponsors and Japan the people have the thing for teen fetish. If she deliver this season, she could challenge Mao’s position as the marketing queen in Japan.

Ando has realistic chance to be on the podium. Time and again she proved she could skate relatively clean in big competitions. She could end up winning the whole thing again, if the likes of Yu-Na bomb at Worlds.

So I think it would be Asada, Murakami and Ando for Japanese ladies.

For men, IMO Takahashi is the only sure thing. As for Hanyu, a teen MALE figure skater is not exactly manga-theme friendly, and they could afford giving him another year or two. I think Oda, Kozuka, Machida and Hanyu will be all on even ground. I would give Oda and Kozuka some edge.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  11. pinky166

lowtherlore ITA. I tend to think Mao and Miki will be there, especially if Miki is skating well this season.

12. Lainerb

Lainerb New Member

We have already seen Miki land 2axel+3toe at Japan Open this season and she looks to be attempting 3z+3l again based off exhibition performances of her SP. With the current state of ladies unless Kim or Rochette go to Worlds then really Ando is once again a favorite.

13. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

I agree. Jumps alone, I think Ando is fundamentally better than Asada. She always was.

14. miki88

miki88 New Member

Lol, I am always amazed at your "insight" into what the Japanese skaters thinks and how the JSF works.
    :sheep:
    :rofl:

15. pinky166

Me too. Especially since she's worked a lot on her flexibility and spins recently, they are now up to snuff with the rest of the top ladies (not amazing, but not bad like in her earlier years). Plus she was pretty consistent with her jumps all last season.

16. miki88

miki88 New Member

She was consistent but so lackluster. To a lesser extent, she shares the same problem as Flatt. And she did get dinged with underrotations. The new rules give her more points for that but the judges also seem to be more willing to give out calls. The judges will reward her only if the other top skaters don't perform up to par. Mirai has more of a chance than Miki, if she's consistent.

17. judgejudy27

If she is training still which she reportedly is Rochette would be crazy to not show up for Worlds this year the way things are now. However I think Kim will be in pretty good shape for Worlds. I have no idea what to expect from Mao anymore. Mirai is a question mark at this point but I agree if she skates well she has a very good shot.

18. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Yes her skating seems getting better overall. I think she can hold her own fine in any competition, if she stays in shape.

19. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Ouch, but true. A Rachael Flatt with speed and power, and at times, nice footwork.

20. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

No one's mentioned Fumie yet..

21. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

Is she even there?

22. pinky166

Not to mention a beautiful face and sleek body build....because we all know that makes a difference whether we want to recognize it or not. Ando also tends to get pretty good PCS, certainly higher than Flatt's, and where World's is in Japan this season, I wouldn't be surprised if she was issued hometown bonus points.

23. pinky166

The judges don't seem to have issues with letting Miki win competitions though. She was lackluster at the GPF and Olympics but her FS at Worlds I thought was quite good.

24. miki88

miki88 New Member

And yet they let Lepisto on the podium.
    She was pretty lackluster all season. She only seemed good because the other top skaters were struggling quite a bit. Once the others got their form back by Olympics, Miki was overshadowed again. Anyways, she might get on the podium, but I don't think she's going to win barring a meltdown from others.

25. judgejudy27

Sure, over Leonova. :lol:

26. judgejudy27

Well nobody mentions Mira Leung either. They have about the same chance of making the World team for their respective countries this year.

27. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Murakami, maybe. Hanyu, no.

28. bek

bek Guest

You forgot to mention a Rachael Flatt with HUGE jumps too. Ando's jumps can really be spectacular when they are on. Don't think Ando was ever truly better than Mao. Mao has a special it quality with her gorgeous line and ability to listen to music than Miki has never had.

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Well unlike Ando, Lepisto has awesome basics and very well choreographed programs.

And Ando has.... uhmmm.... jumps. A great deal of which are underrotated to a smaller or larger extent. :p

:rofl:

So EVILLE but so true. :D

30. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I'm not sold on Murakami yet, but Ando will definitely get a spot.
    1. 4S<
    2. 3Lz-3L<
    3. Back loading of 5 jumping passes
    IMO, Asada doesn't stand a chance.