Can Hanyu and Murakami make the world team this year & if so, who would they replace?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Marco, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

The current top 4 men are Takahashi, Oda, Kozuka and Hanyu.

The current top 4 ladies are Asada, Ando, Suzuki and Murakami.

If Hanyu and Murakami somehow rock this season, maybe even make GPF or medal at 4CCs, is it possible for them to displace their senior countrymen on the world team?

I think Takahashi and Asada (despite recent struggles) are rather safe.

Oda is mentally unstable at big events and Kozuka hasn't been very consistent. I think they can both be at risk. Trouble is, neither have been geeting consistent high PCS from international judges.

Ando for some reason always gets good PCS and Suzuki mostly rotates and stands up on her jumps. I think unless someone gets injured or somehow withdraws, Murakami will have a hard time making Worlds.

Thoughts?

2. jlai

jlai Title-less

For a moment I thought this was another poll...

I must say the Japanese men are unstoppable this year. This year it's like the US men back in 09: 6-7 men competing for three spots!

No comments on who will be on the team but I'd say the US boys better bring their jumps to worlds... :watch:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  3. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Of the men I'd say Oda looks the most vulnerable. I havent seen him or his programs yet, so I have no idea how good or bad his is right now, but going by his performance last year, I doubt the judges at Nationals are going to be at all inclined to hold him up. If he doesnt deliver 2 solid programs and Hanyu does, my guess is Hanyu will be on the team.

The same is not true with the ladies however. Apart from injury, I dont see any way Murakami will make the team. Miki looked great in exhibitions, so did Suzuki. And I just dont see any way the JSF would leave the reigning World Champion off the team - in spite of her terrible debut. I just dont see it happening.

4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I agree Kozuka and Oda are both vurnerable to being bumped by Hanya possibly. Of the two I would say Oda is the more vurnerable. That said I am guessing the current trio remains in tact for this year.

For the women I see Suzuki in great danger to be bumped by Murakami. In fact I am predicting it to happen. Suzuki is probably the most overrated skater on this forum. People talk about her like she is so great but really she is just a good and pretty consistent journeywomen who had a good year last year at the right time. She will never be a medal contender at the World level, Murakami has more chance of challenging for a World medal this year if the women stay this inconsistent than Suzuki ever would. They will want to send Asada, Ando, and Murakami to Worlds this year to see how they all compare. Asada has become unpredictable, Ando is past her prime but still doing respectably up to now, and Murakami is the future along with Asada.

Hanyu could bump Kozuka or Oda, especialy Oda, but I predict he wont this year. Murakami will make the World team and Suzuki will be off. My predictions.

5. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I agree. Particularly given the influence of endorsements, which Mao has in spades, and which seem to carry some weight. But as you say, injuries happen.

I'm also curious to see if Mao and Miki both continue to compete this entire quadrennial. It is a long haul between now and Sochi.

The nice thing for Japan is that pretty much no matter which three men or ladies they send, they're going to earn three spots for the following worlds. I don't think that there is another country where that is such a certainty.

6. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Don't forget about Tatsuki Machida. He won 2010 Nebelhorn with a score of 221.22.

7. maclou

maclou Member

I see them wanting to keep Hanyu and Murakami off of the world team and sending them to junior worlds again instead. Their juniors aren't particularly strong this year but they'll probably want to keep the spots they have for next year's JGP. I'd even say that Machida has a better chance of making the world team than Yuzuru does.

However as for who would be bumped if someone new did make the team, for the guys I'd have to go with Kozuka. Other than Worlds (and kind of the Olympics but where he placed wasn't SO bad) Oda had a great season last year, much better than Kozuka and as for comps this season so far Oda had a bad showing in his SP at regionals but he did well in his long program and from the practice video I've seen his jumps look as good as ever. For the ladies I'd go with Akiko, not because I think she's overrated (not at all!) but just because she's not Mao or Miki and doesn't quite get the PCS she should.

8. midori

midori Well-Known Member

Machida is a wonderful skater I hope he can go to Worlds next march. (The problem is I also want others to go to Worlds)

Also, do not count out Takahito Mura, who has 4t-3t along with huge 3a!

Seriously, we need 6 slots for Japanese men at Worlds.

9. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Suzuki and Ando had held off their big tricks last season because of the stricter calling and the much reduced value of downgraded combos.

Now that underrotated combos still get 70%, I bet Suzuki and Ando will unleash the big combos again. (Suzuki with 3flip3toe or 3loop3toe and Ando with 3lutz3loop and both have 2axel3toes)

Murakami would have to earn her way up on PCS.

As an aside, I can see them leaving a reigning world champion off the world team. They left Suguri off the team in 2007 when she was a reigning silver medalist, won silvers in both her GPs and made GPF, and at that point was Japan's only world medalist entering Worlds in Japan.

Asada ofcourse is a reigning champion, but she is also bombing her GPs for a second straight second and this time with deadly pops. If she bombs Nationals too, I can see the JFed considering leaving her off. But then as some suggested, she might just pull through and make the team with all her endorsements and Worlds being in Japan etc. Also, she tends to peak later in the season anyway so this point may be moot.

10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

And while Machida and Mura are both wonderful skaters too with big tricks, JFed is clearly trying to promote Hanyu as their next star.

The point about wanting Hanyu and Murakami to return to Junior Worlds for JGP spots next season is a valid one. JFed will have all the reasons in the world to lowball/ control their PCS.

Politically, I can see JFed viewing Oda as someone passed his peak and Kozuka as someone yet to peak. No matter how clean he was at the GPs, Oda did almost always have trouble at the big comps.

11. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Machida is actually Japans #4. He beat soundly Hanyu at Nationals and has received higher scores internationally so far. I think he has equal chances as Hanyu to overtake any of Oda or Kozuka. He has a shot of podium this week at SkateCanada, if he does it will certainly solidify his position.

Japanese nationals is gonna be so nail bitting to watch ....

12. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Suguri in 2007 is not the same as Asada this year. Everyone knew Suguri wasnt a real contender for the 2007 Worlds, Asada and Ando were their true threats. So it wasnt a big deal that Nakano went instead of her as the 3rd Japanese women after skating better than Fumie at Nationals. No matter how bad Asada skates throughout the season she is still a major threat to win Worlds this year, only Kim at her best can shut out Asada at her best from winning.

13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Does Machida have a quad? I don't like him nearly as much as I do Hanyu with the wonderful quad and 3axel. Hanyu's skating looks much more stylish (to me anyways).

14. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

I think Hanyu has a much better long term prospect. I was at Nebelhorn and while I appreciated Machida very much my money would be on Hanyu long term.

15. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I think Yuzuru doesn't have a chance. In my opinion, the three spots for the men are already filled. I have to agree with judgejudy27 regarding Kanako. I think she has a chance of beating Akiko, but only if Akiko doesn't skate clean and Kanako does. We'll see!

:cheer2:

Yes. He did one at Nebelhorn Trophy this year.

:)

16. NMURA

NMURA Member

I don't think Murakami is needed for Jr worlds. As long as she can't do the 3loop consistently, she won't be much help. Losing badly against Russian girls doesn't help her reputation in the senior as well. If Murakami takes one spot, probably Shoji and Nishino take the rest. Even if they can maintain 3 spots, the total number of send-able skaters will be same (or less, if they failed save 3 spots).

2011 Murakami, Shoji, Nishino
    2012 Shoji, Miyahara, Fujisawa?
    or
    2011 Shoji, Nishino, Fujisawa?
    2012 Shoji, Miyahara

JGP spots will be OK as long as Shoji can fend off Li Zijun. That should not be a big problem.

As for junior men, they don't need maximum spots in the first place. And even if Hanyu wins again, there's no guarantee they can save 3 spots.

17. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

My reservation with Murakami is the same as what I had when Asada / Caroline Zhang first went senior. The flutz and the picking technique was fine by junior standards but suddenly got scrutinized much more harshly and they stagnated until they finally sacrificed consistency, time and results to rework their jumps.

18. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Not going to happen. Unless Mao is injured she'll be at Worlds.

19. KittenInTheSun

KittenInTheSun New Member

Machida is very short and Hanyu is slim and tall with longer limbs, but I can't say Hanyu is more stylish than Machida when the former always stoops while skating.

Yes, it's a personal thing, but I just can't stand skaters with bad postures.

Regarding the topic,
    I think Hanyu needs one or two more years to get as high PCS as Oda and Kozuka.
    I hope the best top 3 at Japanese Nationals will go to Tokyo worlds.

20. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Yes Machida has a quad. And I find Machida much more stylish than Hanyu at this point. Hanyu just needs a year or 2 to mature, as Machida did 2 years ago. Machida has great style this season and has matured nicely. Though he is tiny.

Machida has been posting some respectable scores internationally. Machida not only won 2010 Nebelhorn with a score of 221.22. He won the silver at 2010 4CC with a score of 217.48. Adam Rippon won the gold at 4CC. But Machida did beat Reynolds, Bradley, Mroz, Sawyer and D.Ten at 4CC 2010. Which is commendable.

Machida has been posting scores worthy of a World spot on the Japanese Men's team. I can't wait to see how he does at CoC next week. I actually felt bad for Machida waiting in the wings of such greats as Takahashi, Oda and Kozuka. Machida deserves his chance, especially with the results he's been getting this year. He has patiently waited and shown he is ready. Hanyu can wait a year or 2 like Machida has, and mature. But Japan does have a huge depth in men.

21. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

I actually thought Murakami would go on to bump off Suzuki, but she clearly has some consistency issue. Plus, apart from spin, I can't think of one thing Murakami does better.

22. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I agree the outlook is mixed right now regarding all the skaters. However, I will say that I don't see Mao or Miki being left off the World Team this season, despite any problems they may be having, just because the JSF probably knows that they both have a good shot at winning the world title or at least a medal if they skate well. Suzuki on the other hand I don't think has a realistic shot at being World Champion this season, she may have a shot at a medal, but with the kind of PCS she tends to get, even that might be tough. So I say if anyone gets bumped by Kanako, it's Akiko, but we'll have to see how they are skating later in the season to get a better idea. Further, if Mao (or Miki) is still (starts) having huge issues come winter then maybe one of them wouldn't go to Worlds, but I still tend to think they will both be there.

23. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I love Hanyu, as I love all the Japanese men field, but I think he needs yet another season before making to seniors. I believe, as some of you, that the real dark horse is Machida. He looks completly ready this season and I fear for Oda the most. Hanyu could go to Jr Worlds and win 2 in a row as Rippon did. That'll set him up nicely for the future
    About the ladies, I love Kanako. But I just don't trust her jumping technique. She does quite a strange thing with her left leg and she might address that before it becomes a real issue. At the moment, though, I do fear Mao's position. Even with her last year's problems the jumps weren't as catastrophic as they have been this year. She has lots to proof in the next competition. As you say, Fumie was left out of a worlds spot when she was a silver medallist, and Slutskaya didn't make the world team either in 1999 (2000?) when she was a world medalist too. Nothing is for granted in deep fields like these

24. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Yes. But this is Mao we are talking about. She is a huge star in Japan. I am the same opinion as Allezfred - if she is able to walk she will be on the team.
    And I am not too afraid for her. She often has a bit of a rough start in the season and this one everything is new. She is relearning everything. She will be fine come January. *knocks on wood*

25. miki88

miki88 New Member

I agree. I do have a feeling that if Kanako does well this season, she'll replace Akiko. I like Akiko but Kanako has more hype.

26. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

No way. Mao has a LOT to prove after her disaster at NHK. If she skates similarly while the others excel at nationals, she will not be named!

27. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Men are to Japan what Pairs are to Russia. Too few spots! Japan truly needs 6. I can see Oda being bumped for Hanyu or Machida ( or Mura, who looked lovely at NHK), if Oda implodes during the GP series.
    I HOPE Kozuka is safe as I am a fan; cannot think objectively there.
    Mao has to be safe- with the Worlds in Japan and Mao being 2- time World Champion, and a celebrity. She'll be there barring an injury.
    I am not yet panicking about Mao... she has time.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  28. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Mao has nothing to prove. She is a two-time World champion and Olympic silver medallist, as well as a huge star in Japan. She is reworking her technique. Everybody knows that this takes time. It ain't going to be pretty for a while.

But if you think a healthy Mao is not going to be named to the Worlds team, then you obviously haven't been following very closely how the JSF selects skaters. :lol:

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Asada should take this season out, it's silly.

I hope Murakami replaces Ando or Asada (Fred is making a good point but what if Asada places like 9th at Nats - still gonna be named? :/).

I hope Hanyu replaces Oda whom I used to love in Juniors but now he's mind numbingly boring.

I though that being freed from Morozov would change that but then I saw his music choices. :shuffle:

30. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Personally

I want the teams to be Asada, Suzuki and Murakami; Takahashi, Kozuka and Hanyu.

Ando and Oda have peaked or in any event are just no longer willing to try the harder elements to break through. They of course have not had a break through artistically since what, 2005.